|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What month does the narrator meet the Illustrated Man?
2. How many of the men's friends are dead back on the rocket they had landed on Venus?
3. Whose house does Hattie walk to while she asks the children to stay at home?
4. What is the name of the rocket that will take the Fathers to Mars?
5. Where did Father Peregrine and his cousins see fireworks when he was a child?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why has the white man come to Mars?
2. What happens to Hollis when a meteor flashes by?
3. How do the men walking through the Venusian rain carry a boat?
4. Why do the townspeople not come when the rocket lands on the planet?
5. Why does Doug sneak his father's uniform out of the sleeping room?
6. Why was Hernando standing in the rain by the highway?
7. How does the narrator describe the Illustrated Man's tattoos?
8. Why is Venus sometimes called China?
9. Describe the "church" that the Fathers build on Mars.
10. Why did Applegate lie about blackballing Hollis?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the fireworks Father Peregrine saw as a child to the beings on Mars. Use examples from the story.
Essay Topic 2
In "The Veldt", technology becomes dangerous. Discuss the threat of ever-increasing technology, using examples from the story.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast how the actions of the banned authors and their characters affect the astronauts and how the actions of the astronauts affect the banned authors and their characters.
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)