|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Simmons die?
2. How long has Doug's father been going off into space?
3. From what do the blue light Martians rescue Father Peregrine and Father Stone?
4. Where did Father Peregrine and his cousins see fireworks when he was a child?
5. What is Venus sometimes called?
Short Essay Questions
1. What types of things does the house do for the Hadley family?
2. Why didn't the white people follow the black people to Mars?
3. Why did Applegate lie about blackballing Hollis?
4. Who was the artist who tattooed the Illustrated Man?
5. Why couldn't the men collect themselves and formulate a plan?
6. What dream did the narrator have in "The Last Night of the World"?
7. Why has the white man come to Mars?
8. What does David McClean recommend that George and Lydia do with the nursery?
9. Why was it unusual that a car had not driven along the highway for more than an hour?
10. Why does the narrator believe that October 19, 1969, was chosen as the last night of the world?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Argue whether the Martians win or the people of earth win when the Martians invade the earth in "The Concrete Mixer". Use examples from the story to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
In "The Veldt", technology becomes dangerous. Discuss the threat of ever-increasing technology, using examples from the story.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how greed destroys happiness in "The Visitor". Use examples from the story.
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)