|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator in "The Last Night of the World" pour himself to drink at the beginning of the chapter?
2. What body parts does Hollis lose to meteors?
3. What type of lighting is in the room where two girls are playing in "The Last Night of the World"?
4. What are the dimensions of a Sun Dome?
5. At the beginning of "Highway", how long has it been since Hernando has seen a car on the road?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the narrator doing when he met the Illustrated Man?
2. What does Martin say to the Captain when he insists on interrogating the people in the city?
3. Why is Father Peregrine chosen to be the captain of the missionaries?
4. What happened to the first Sun Dome that the men found?
5. Why was it unusual that a car had not driven along the highway for more than an hour?
6. What has the nursery become to the children?
7. Why doesn't Doug's mother allow him to mow the lawn or fix anything around the house?
8. How does the narrator in "The Last Night of the World" say that the world will end?
9. Why was Hernando standing in the rain by the highway?
10. Why did Applegate lie about blackballing Hollis?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the meaning of the idiom "the shoe is on the other foot" as it is used in the story "The Other Foot".
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how greed destroys happiness in "The Visitor". Use examples from the story.
Essay Topic 3
Argue whether the Martians win or the people of earth win when the Martians invade the earth in "The Concrete Mixer". Use examples from the story to support your arguments.
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)