|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Doug's father a boy?
2. How old is Doug?
3. How many people does the Captain say he interviewed regarding the man?
4. How many healing miracles were performed on the planet?
5. Whose house does Hattie walk to while she asks the children to stay at home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Martin say to the Captain when he insists on interrogating the people in the city?
2. Will Captain Hart ever find the man?
3. What has the nursery become to the children?
4. Does anyone see Hollis when he hits the atmosphere?
5. Why do Doug and his mother not want to see the sun at the end of the chapter?
6. How did Hernando get his shoes?
7. Why has the white man come to Mars?
8. Why couldn't the men collect themselves and formulate a plan?
9. Why doesn't Doug's mother allow him to mow the lawn or fix anything around the house?
10. What does the driver of the ancient Ford tell Hernando has happened?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how the characters react when they learn that it is the "Last Night of the World" and why there is no rioting. Use examples from the story.
Essay Topic 2
In "The Man", Martin and the Captain disagree on who "The Man" is. Discuss who they think the man is and why.
Essay Topic 3
Argue whether the Martians win or the people of earth win when the Martians invade the earth in "The Concrete Mixer". Use examples from the story to support your arguments.
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)