|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The __________ of the world around Rumi will become his clothes and his jewels, according to the teachings of Rumi's teacher.
2. Who is the madman that wields a knife, the thing which is a nihilist that embraces destruction?
3. __________ in the presence, at the price of one's life, is a bargain, according to one of the poems of Rumi.
4. The robe of the teacher creates _________, according to Rumi, and the teacher also creates new life.
5. Rumi talks to the reader about the desired kiss as the _________ coming up into the lips of a person.
Short Essay Questions
1. When Shams asks about if the drop stays still in the ocean, what does he tell Rumi to do?
2. What happens as the result of the spiritual journey that Shams and Rumi discuss?
3. What does Rumi try to do in order to find his lover again, according to the writings of Rumi?
4. What does the fragrance bring back to Rumi, when he's lost a connection to a loved one, according to the poem?
5. What are the three ways in which Rumi could write, according to Shams?
6. What does Rumi think that cow might experience when they are in Baghdad?
7. Why does the poet say that it is not necessary to grieve, according to the writings of Rumi?
8. What does Barks suggest is the identity of the 'you' in Rumi's poem, as it is not clear who this person is?
9. What happened as a result of Zuleikha loving Joseph so much that he became everything to her?
10. What does Rumi have to say about the gamble of love and what does he urge the reader to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rumi tells the reader they must work as hard in the spiritual world as they do in the material world.
Part 1: Why do you think Rumi feels the spiritual world is so important in the life of the reader?
Part 2: How can one work as hard in the spiritual world as they do in the physical world?
Part 3: Do you think that you are working as hard in the spiritual world as you do in the material world?
Essay Topic 2
Even everyday tasks are supposed to bring one closer to the spiritual connections in one's life, according to Rumi.
Part 1: Why are everyday tasks just as important to spiritual tasks?
Part 2: Do you think that there are mundane tasks you do which connect you with the spiritual side of your life?
Part 3: How do you think you could turn mundane tasks into spiritual ones?
Essay Topic 3
Human beings don't know what they are, according to Rumi. He believes human beings are much more powerful than they realize.
Part 1: Do you think that human beings are more powerful than they realize?
Part 2: What sorts of powers might human beings have which they are not using as well as they could?
Part 3: Why do you think Rumi wants to ensure the reader knows they are powerful?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)