|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Shams points out that what everyone is actually worshiping is ___________, rather than a higher being.
2. Rumi speaks in the poem mentioned in #157 about a _________ bringing him back to this lost connection.
3. The poet compares himself to a __________, stripped of its petals and of its leaves, within one of the poems.
4. _________ are the wandering Sufis who laugh and love at everything, but they are in turmoil inside.
5. Rumi notes that everywhere a reader goes, they will perceive others as they themselves are, just as a _________ will ignore the amazing city of Baghdad.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Rumi describe the idea of love in the last section of these poems?
2. What happens during the chess game between Shams and Rumi, according to Barks?
3. What does Rumi think that cow might experience when they are in Baghdad?
4. How does Rumi describe the person named David in his writings and poems?
5. What does Rumi tell the reader to do in order to start their own spiritual journey, like Moses or Joseph did?
6. What happened as a result of Zuleikha loving Joseph so much that he became everything to her?
7. What did the poet's teacher teach him to do, according to the writings of Rumi?
8. What does Rumi say that he doesn't regret in his life, according to one of his poems?
9. When Shams asks about if the drop stays still in the ocean, what does he tell Rumi to do?
10. What does the teacher say about speaking scripture, according to the writings of Rumi?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Barks points out that repetition can be spiritual, not numbing as many people have come to think of it, in his opinion.
Part 1: Why do you think repeating something again and again can be spiritual?
Part 2: Are there any things you do again and again which you might find spiritual?
Part 3: How do you think the brain changes when it has to repeat the same action again and again?
Essay Topic 2
Even everyday tasks are supposed to bring one closer to the spiritual connections in one's life, according to Rumi.
Part 1: Why are everyday tasks just as important to spiritual tasks?
Part 2: Do you think that there are mundane tasks you do which connect you with the spiritual side of your life?
Part 3: How do you think you could turn mundane tasks into spiritual ones?
Essay Topic 3
The concept of translating poems from one language to another is tricky as one can never be sure whether the translation is 'right.'
Part 1: Do you think that an accurate translation is better than one which is more thoughtful?
Part 2: How do you think a poem might change during the course of being translated?
Part 3: Why do you think Coleman Barks thought it necessary to translate these poems?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)