|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The poet says the he would die into _______, as clouds might disappear into the sun, according to his writings.
2. _________ are the wandering Sufis who laugh and love at everything, but they are in turmoil inside.
3. When asked how long he would remain in pain, Rumi answered that he was a _________ and his friend was the whole night.
4. Rumi compares his soul to a drop in a spiritual _________ saying that it is always a certain season the human soul.
5. What is the game that Rumi and Shams played, according to Barks, which brought them closer together?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the things Rumi says are a part of a friend of all things?
2. What are the three ways in which Rumi could write, according to Shams?
3. What happened as a result of Zuleikha loving Joseph so much that he became everything to her?
4. What does Barks ask a reader to do in relation to being in a state of spirituality?
5. What does Rumi have to say about the gamble of love and what does he urge the reader to do?
6. How does Rumi describe the person named David in his writings and poems?
7. What does Rumi tell the reader to do in order to start their own spiritual journey, like Moses or Joseph did?
8. What does Rumi say that he doesn't regret in his life, according to one of his poems?
9. What happens during the chess game between Shams and Rumi, according to Barks?
10. When Shams asks about if the drop stays still in the ocean, what does he tell Rumi to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rumi is a man who asked a lot of questions, if the poems are to be believed as being his life retold.
Part 1: Why do you think it's important to ask a lot of questions?
Part 2: How do you think a person might learn in life if they don't ask any questions?
Part 3: Are you a person who likes to ask a lot of questions? Why do you ask a lot of questions or why don't you?
Essay Topic 2
The new moon is used as a metaphor for patients and allowing for slowness in creation.
Part 1: Why do you think patience is so valuable when you are trying to create a stronger spiritual connection?
Part 2: Do you agree that patience is important in your life? How so?
Part 3: What do you think you could do in order to cultivate more patience in your life?
Essay Topic 3
The story of Shams and Rumi is one which plays out from one page to the next in this book, a story of friendship and the sharing of knowledge.
Part 1: Why do you think Shams and Rumi got along as well as they did?
Part 2: Why do you think Rumi still felt the need to be competitive with Shams?
Part 3: Do you think all relationships are competitive on some level? Why or why not?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)