|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Barks writes in the commentary that Rumi was asked once why we wrote so much since he valued ___________.
2. Rumi speaks in the poem mentioned in #157 about a _________ bringing him back to this lost connection.
3. The robe of the teacher creates _________, according to Rumi, and the teacher also creates new life.
4. The poet asks a reader to imagine returning to the place from whence they came and imagine being greeted with _________.
5. When asked how long he would remain in pain, Rumi answered that he was a _________ and his friend was the whole night.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened as a result of Zuleikha loving Joseph so much that he became everything to her?
2. What happens as the result of the spiritual journey that Shams and Rumi discuss?
3. What are the three ways in which Rumi could write, according to Shams?
4. What does Rumi tell the reader to do in order to start their own spiritual journey, like Moses or Joseph did?
5. What does Rumi have to say about the gamble of love and what does he urge the reader to do?
6. What does Rumi try to do in order to find his lover again, according to the writings of Rumi?
7. How does Rumi describe the person named David in his writings and poems?
8. What are some of the things Rumi says are a part of a friend of all things?
9. What does Barks ask a reader to do in relation to being in a state of spirituality?
10. What does the fragrance bring back to Rumi, when he's lost a connection to a loved one, according to the poem?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rumi often gives the reader warnings about paying attention to the world around them, lest they miss something more important or beautiful.
Part 1: Do you think you are able to focus on the things which are important in your own life?
Part 2: Why do you think Rumi wants the reader to focus on everything around them?
Part 3: How do you look at the world? Do you focus on tiny details or can you focus on the big picture?
Essay Topic 2
Rumi says that the reader should focus on the now and not look ahead to the future.
Part 1: Why do you think that it's more important to focus on the now? Do you agree?
Part 2: How do you think staying in the present can help a person develop spiritually and emotionally?
Part 3: Do you believe that you focus more on the future or on the present moment?
Essay Topic 3
The spirituality in these poems is apparent, even if it's not clear there is a specific dogma to which Rumi ascribes.
Part 1: Why do you think spirituality was so important to Rumi when he was writing his poems?
Part 2: Do you think that spirituality informs all writing or just poetry?
Part 3: How do you think the poems might have changed without the introduction of spirituality?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)