|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Rumi describes a field, beyond right and wrong, where the ________ goes and loses ideas and language.
2. The poet asks the reader to give everything, not to dull the drum's noise with a __________.
3. Rumi wants the reader to know that embracing _________ transforms this into joy.
4. Shams points out that what everyone is actually worshiping is ___________, rather than a higher being.
5. The poet states that ________ don't prepare us for the journey we all have to make, according to one of the poems.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the fragrance bring back to Rumi, when he's lost a connection to a loved one, according to the poem?
2. What does Rumi try to do in order to find his lover again, according to the writings of Rumi?
3. What happened to his crying when the poet was brought to life, according to the writings of Rumi?
4. What happened as a result of Zuleikha loving Joseph so much that he became everything to her?
5. When Shams asks about if the drop stays still in the ocean, what does he tell Rumi to do?
6. What are the three ways in which Rumi could write, according to Shams?
7. What does Rumi have to say about the gamble of love and what does he urge the reader to do?
8. What does Rumi think that cow might experience when they are in Baghdad?
9. How does Rumi describe the idea of love in the last section of these poems?
10. What are some of the things Rumi says are a part of a friend of all things?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rumi tells the reader they must work as hard in the spiritual world as they do in the material world.
Part 1: Why do you think Rumi feels the spiritual world is so important in the life of the reader?
Part 2: How can one work as hard in the spiritual world as they do in the physical world?
Part 3: Do you think that you are working as hard in the spiritual world as you do in the material world?
Essay Topic 2
The new moon is used as a metaphor for patients and allowing for slowness in creation.
Part 1: Why do you think patience is so valuable when you are trying to create a stronger spiritual connection?
Part 2: Do you agree that patience is important in your life? How so?
Part 3: What do you think you could do in order to cultivate more patience in your life?
Essay Topic 3
Rumi continues to use metaphors in the poems, helping to show the reader how they are akin to other beings and plants in the world.
Part 1: Why do you think poets rely on metaphors to help them with their messages?
Part 2: Do you think it's better to use metaphors or to speak directly to a reader?
Part 3: How do you think the metaphors affect a reader? How did the metaphors affect you as you read them?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)