|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The soul, says Rumi, is in the shape of a ___________, according to one of his many poems.
2. The poet speaks of being locked in a _________ and of someone who brings him good and forgives him.
3. Though the _________ tries to think and read to find his lover again, there is no help in it, he realizes.
4. Barks talks about a teacher, Bawa Muhaiyaddeen, who taught both himself and MIchael Green, the book's __________.
5. The spiritual journey discussed by Shams and Rumi is one in which one needs to break down the self to find the basic roots of _________ in humanity.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens as the result of surrendering to love, according to the writings of Rumi?
2. When Shams asks about if the drop stays still in the ocean, what does he tell Rumi to do?
3. What is essential in the windows of one heart to another, according to the writings of Rumi?
4. What happens as the result of the spiritual journey that Shams and Rumi discuss?
5. Why does the poet ask Shams and the Sun to help him in his poems, according to the writings of Rumi?
6. Why does the poet say that it is not necessary to grieve, according to the writings of Rumi?
7. What do the Sufis think about love and about its ability to help people, according to the book?
8. What are the three ways in which Rumi could write, according to Shams?
9. What does Barks say that openings are a place for, according to his commentary in this section?
10. What does Barks ask a reader to do in relation to being in a state of spirituality?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The new moon is used as a metaphor for patients and allowing for slowness in creation.
Part 1: Why do you think patience is so valuable when you are trying to create a stronger spiritual connection?
Part 2: Do you agree that patience is important in your life? How so?
Part 3: What do you think you could do in order to cultivate more patience in your life?
Essay Topic 2
Barks points out that repetition can be spiritual, not numbing as many people have come to think of it, in his opinion.
Part 1: Why do you think repeating something again and again can be spiritual?
Part 2: Are there any things you do again and again which you might find spiritual?
Part 3: How do you think the brain changes when it has to repeat the same action again and again?
Essay Topic 3
Human beings can change, according to Rumi, which is something the reader needs to keep in mind.
Part 1: Why do you think it's important to remember that human beings can change?
Part 2: Do you think that you are capable of change in your own life?
Part 3: How do you think human beings are capable of change?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)