|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Rumi uses the metaphor of being sent to do a task by a King, and forgetting in the poem "The _____ Work".
2. The pull of love is something Rumi compares to a ________, urging the reader to realize learning is about more than just books.
3. Love is more than an old study of _________, according to the writing of Rumi in this section.
4. _________, according to Rumi, will tend to accumulate while the real work is going on elsewhere.
5. A baby __________ hears a whistling and is thus driven to fly into the sky, according to Rumi.
Short Essay Questions
1. To what does Rumi compare human beings who do not explore their own spirituality?
2. What is the metaphor Rumi uses in order to describe the pull of love in one's life and how one should be pulled by love?
3. What does Zuleikha, an Egyptian woman in love with Joseph, do with the shirt that Joseph wears in the story?
4. What does Rumi say has happened since he has been knocking on a door?
5. What are some of the ways a person will be able to bring themselves into the present moment, according to Barks?
6. What does Rumi realize about his friend Shams when he doesn't believe that he is actually dead?
7. What will happen after the traveler's legs become tired during the journey?
8. What is the metaphor Rumi uses to urge the reader to take risks in their life?
9. What does Rumi do when he is so impressed with the depth of the knowledge of Shams?
10. What should a person do with their life instead of acting from fear, according to the writings of Rumi?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rumi tells the reader they must work as hard in the spiritual world as they do in the material world.
Part 1: Why do you think Rumi feels the spiritual world is so important in the life of the reader?
Part 2: How can one work as hard in the spiritual world as they do in the physical world?
Part 3: Do you think that you are working as hard in the spiritual world as you do in the material world?
Essay Topic 2
The story of Shams and Rumi is one which plays out from one page to the next in this book, a story of friendship and the sharing of knowledge.
Part 1: Why do you think Shams and Rumi got along as well as they did?
Part 2: Why do you think Rumi still felt the need to be competitive with Shams?
Part 3: Do you think all relationships are competitive on some level? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Rumi says that the emptiness inside of a person is what allows for music to be sung and heard.
Part 1: What do you think Rumi means by the emptiness inside of a person?
Part 2: Do you agree that having emptiness is essential for creating music in one's life?
Part 3: How do you think a person can cultivate emptiness in order to create music in one's life?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)