|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From talking to a ______ to eating cabbage broth, Rumi says that the tasks of everyday life bring a person into a spiritual realm.
2. Rumi points out that while others are laughing and dancing, there are few who will hear the ________ hidden within the notes.
3. In one of the poems Rumi states, "We are charlatans... or maybe just a ______ hair brush in a painter's hand."
4. The story of Joseph focuses on the loss of his _____ of many colors that has false blood on it to convince people of his death.
5. Anger is the main topic that Rumi explores in the poem entitled "A ______ Sky Hates the Moon."
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rumi have to say about the road to Mecca when he is describing the idea that some mysteries aren't meant to be known?
2. What does Rumi do when he is so impressed with the depth of the knowledge of Shams?
3. What is the story of Ramahrishna that Rumi tells at the start of this section of the book?
4. What happens to the reed when it is cut, according to the writings of Rumi?
5. What does Rumi say has happened since he has been knocking on a door?
6. What is the metaphor Rumi uses in order to describe the pull of love in one's life and how one should be pulled by love?
7. What is the profession of Rumi when Barks introduces him at the beginning of this book?
8. What are the amazing things prophets have done, according to the writings of Rumi?
9. How does breathing help to calm a person, according to Barks' thoughts at the beginning of the section?
10. What does Zuleikha, an Egyptian woman in love with Joseph, do with the shirt that Joseph wears in the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Human beings don't know what they are, according to Rumi. He believes human beings are much more powerful than they realize.
Part 1: Do you think that human beings are more powerful than they realize?
Part 2: What sorts of powers might human beings have which they are not using as well as they could?
Part 3: Why do you think Rumi wants to ensure the reader knows they are powerful?
Essay Topic 2
Rumi says that the reader should focus on the now and not look ahead to the future.
Part 1: Why do you think that it's more important to focus on the now? Do you agree?
Part 2: How do you think staying in the present can help a person develop spiritually and emotionally?
Part 3: Do you believe that you focus more on the future or on the present moment?
Essay Topic 3
Rumi says that the emptiness inside of a person is what allows for music to be sung and heard.
Part 1: What do you think Rumi means by the emptiness inside of a person?
Part 2: Do you agree that having emptiness is essential for creating music in one's life?
Part 3: How do you think a person can cultivate emptiness in order to create music in one's life?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)