|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Rumi was able to take all the usual existential issues that human beings face on a daily basis and change them to ______.
2. Rumi describes a ______ that wakes up one day to discover that he is "the entire vineyard, and the orchard too."
3. Whose table is spread with better food when a person fasts, according to Rumi?
4. Shams asks Rumi who is greater, Muhammad the messenger of God, or ______ a mystic who claimed to be one with God.
5. The _____________ who are there in the orchard do not matter, according to Rumi, along with the light and the wine.
Short Essay Questions
1. What will happen after the traveler's legs become tired during the journey?
2. What happens after Joseph is sold into slavery by his brothers, according to the writings of Rumi?
3. What will happen to a person's present life when they are going on a spiritual journey, according to the writings of Rumi?
4. Who does Rumi say will not be able to wake to the truth, according to the writings of Rumi?
5. What does Zuleikha, an Egyptian woman in love with Joseph, do with the shirt that Joseph wears in the story?
6. What is the metaphor Rumi uses to urge the reader to take risks in their life?
7. What doesn't matter in the midst of an orchard in the spring, according to the writings of Rumi?
8. Describe the metaphor Rumi uses when it comes to the black sky and the moon.
9. What is the story of Ramahrishna that Rumi tells at the start of this section of the book?
10. What happens with Joseph's shirt when he gives it to his brothers to help their father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Even everyday tasks are supposed to bring one closer to the spiritual connections in one's life, according to Rumi.
Part 1: Why are everyday tasks just as important to spiritual tasks?
Part 2: Do you think that there are mundane tasks you do which connect you with the spiritual side of your life?
Part 3: How do you think you could turn mundane tasks into spiritual ones?
Essay Topic 2
The concept of translating poems from one language to another is tricky as one can never be sure whether the translation is 'right.'
Part 1: Do you think that an accurate translation is better than one which is more thoughtful?
Part 2: How do you think a poem might change during the course of being translated?
Part 3: Why do you think Coleman Barks thought it necessary to translate these poems?
Essay Topic 3
Rumi is a man who asked a lot of questions, if the poems are to be believed as being his life retold.
Part 1: Why do you think it's important to ask a lot of questions?
Part 2: How do you think a person might learn in life if they don't ask any questions?
Part 3: Are you a person who likes to ask a lot of questions? Why do you ask a lot of questions or why don't you?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)