|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Rumi suggests not doing the work God sent you for is "like using a priceless Indian _____ to cut rotten meat."
2. In one of the poems, ______ cuts open a fish and discovers a gold ring. Omar storms in to kill the prophet.
3. Rumi suggests "My _____ is from elsewhere. Whoever brought me here will have to take me home."
4. _______ was sold by his brothers into slavery in Egypt , gradually came to power there, and made a complicated trade route.
5. Rumi's mystical work was contained within the patterns of ______ Sufism but the life was witness to the boundless universality of the heart.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the metaphor Rumi uses when it comes to the black sky and the moon.
2. Where do human beings sit, according to the writings of Rumi, when they are in a prison?
3. What will happen after the traveler's legs become tired during the journey?
4. To what does Rumi compare human beings who do not explore their own spirituality?
5. What is the real work of human beings, according to the writings of Rumi?
6. What is the story of Ramahrishna that Rumi tells at the start of this section of the book?
7. How does breathing help to calm a person, according to Barks' thoughts at the beginning of the section?
8. What are some of the ways a person will be able to bring themselves into the present moment, according to Barks?
9. What is the profession of Rumi when Barks introduces him at the beginning of this book?
10. What happens to the reed when it is cut, according to the writings of Rumi?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
According to Rumi, anything or anyone that is loved reflects the lover's spirituality as love brings one closer to God.
Part 1: What kinds of love do you think Rumi feels are going to best bring someone closer to God?
Part 2: How do you think love brings one closer to God and closer to spiritual fulfillment?
Part 3: Is it possible for everyone to find love and thus to find spiritual fulfillment?
Essay Topic 2
Rumi says that the reader should focus on the now and not look ahead to the future.
Part 1: Why do you think that it's more important to focus on the now? Do you agree?
Part 2: How do you think staying in the present can help a person develop spiritually and emotionally?
Part 3: Do you believe that you focus more on the future or on the present moment?
Essay Topic 3
Some of the poems in this collection of Rumi's work celebrate the idea of openness in life and in spirit.
Part 1: Why do you think openness is essential in life?
Part 2: Do you think that openness is something which can be easily cultivated in life?
Part 3: How do you think that you can personally cultivate more openness in your own life?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)