|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Rumi gives a definition for what we are, "You are the strange business. You have the energy of the ______ in you."
2. Rumi notes that the miracle of Jesus is ______, not what he did or said about the future, according to the poems.
3. Rumi sent his son _______ to bring back his exiled companion. He was found playing cards with the future St. Francis of Assisi.
4. Rumi states, in "The Prophets" no one knows if the _______ will sink or reach the harbor.
5. Rumi urges the reader to let go of the _____, the covering clothes, and to be naked in the world, according to his writing.
Short Essay Questions
1. What doesn't matter in the midst of an orchard in the spring, according to the writings of Rumi?
2. What is the metaphor Rumi uses to urge the reader to take risks in their life?
3. What is the question Shams asks Rumi, which leads Rumi to believe that Shams is a great person?
4. Describe the metaphor Rumi uses when it comes to the black sky and the moon.
5. What happens to the reed when it is cut, according to the writings of Rumi?
6. What is the story of Ramahrishna that Rumi tells at the start of this section of the book?
7. What is the real work of human beings, according to the writings of Rumi?
8. Why was Shams pushed out of the area by the students of Rumi, according to the beginning of the book?
9. How does breathing help to calm a person, according to Barks' thoughts at the beginning of the section?
10. To what does Rumi compare human beings who do not explore their own spirituality?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rumi continues to use metaphors in the poems, helping to show the reader how they are akin to other beings and plants in the world.
Part 1: Why do you think poets rely on metaphors to help them with their messages?
Part 2: Do you think it's better to use metaphors or to speak directly to a reader?
Part 3: How do you think the metaphors affect a reader? How did the metaphors affect you as you read them?
Essay Topic 2
Rumi says that the emptiness inside of a person is what allows for music to be sung and heard.
Part 1: What do you think Rumi means by the emptiness inside of a person?
Part 2: Do you agree that having emptiness is essential for creating music in one's life?
Part 3: How do you think a person can cultivate emptiness in order to create music in one's life?
Essay Topic 3
Rumi tells the reader they must work as hard in the spiritual world as they do in the material world.
Part 1: Why do you think Rumi feels the spiritual world is so important in the life of the reader?
Part 2: How can one work as hard in the spiritual world as they do in the physical world?
Part 3: Do you think that you are working as hard in the spiritual world as you do in the material world?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)