|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The ________ breath brings a presence, through the head to the heart, with a mantra, "God alone is real."
2. The _________ represents the imagination where the spiritual journey takes place, according to Rumi.
3. Rumi suggests that people listen to his message with the ear that is in the center of the _______.
4. Anger is the main topic that Rumi explores in the poem entitled "A ______ Sky Hates the Moon."
5. Since the reed was cut from the bed, it has made a ___________ sound, according to the description by Rumi.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the profession of Rumi when Barks introduces him at the beginning of this book?
2. What is the question Shams asks Rumi, which leads Rumi to believe that Shams is a great person?
3. What does Barks have to say about Rumi as being a True Human Being? What does Barks say this means?
4. Why was Shams pushed out of the area by the students of Rumi, according to the beginning of the book?
5. What does Zuleikha, an Egyptian woman in love with Joseph, do with the shirt that Joseph wears in the story?
6. What doesn't matter in the midst of an orchard in the spring, according to the writings of Rumi?
7. What is the metaphor Rumi uses to urge the reader to take risks in their life?
8. What happens to the reed when it is cut, according to the writings of Rumi?
9. What will happen after the traveler's legs become tired during the journey?
10. Describe the metaphor Rumi uses when it comes to the black sky and the moon.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The concept of translating poems from one language to another is tricky as one can never be sure whether the translation is 'right.'
Part 1: Do you think that an accurate translation is better than one which is more thoughtful?
Part 2: How do you think a poem might change during the course of being translated?
Part 3: Why do you think Coleman Barks thought it necessary to translate these poems?
Essay Topic 2
Rumi says that the emptiness inside of a person is what allows for music to be sung and heard.
Part 1: What do you think Rumi means by the emptiness inside of a person?
Part 2: Do you agree that having emptiness is essential for creating music in one's life?
Part 3: How do you think a person can cultivate emptiness in order to create music in one's life?
Essay Topic 3
Even everyday tasks are supposed to bring one closer to the spiritual connections in one's life, according to Rumi.
Part 1: Why are everyday tasks just as important to spiritual tasks?
Part 2: Do you think that there are mundane tasks you do which connect you with the spiritual side of your life?
Part 3: How do you think you could turn mundane tasks into spiritual ones?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)