|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Rumi suggests that people listen to his message with the ear that is in the center of the _______.
2. Rumi uses the metaphor of being sent to do a task by a King, and forgetting in the poem "The _____ Work".
3. According to the book, when Rumi realized the greatness of Shams, he fell off his _______ unconscious.
4. Anger is the main topic that Rumi explores in the poem entitled "A ______ Sky Hates the Moon."
5. The _________ represents the imagination where the spiritual journey takes place, according to Rumi.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rumi say has happened since he has been knocking on a door?
2. What happens to the reed when it is cut, according to the writings of Rumi?
3. What is the question Shams asks Rumi, which leads Rumi to believe that Shams is a great person?
4. What do Barks and Rumi have to say about the rhythms and the way that a person breathes in their life?
5. Who does Rumi say will not be able to wake to the truth, according to the writings of Rumi?
6. What does Rumi realize about his friend Shams when he doesn't believe that he is actually dead?
7. What is the real work of human beings, according to the writings of Rumi?
8. What is the profession of Rumi when Barks introduces him at the beginning of this book?
9. What is the metaphor Rumi uses in order to describe the pull of love in one's life and how one should be pulled by love?
10. What are the amazing things prophets have done, according to the writings of Rumi?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The new moon is used as a metaphor for patients and allowing for slowness in creation.
Part 1: Why do you think patience is so valuable when you are trying to create a stronger spiritual connection?
Part 2: Do you agree that patience is important in your life? How so?
Part 3: What do you think you could do in order to cultivate more patience in your life?
Essay Topic 2
Rumi tells the reader they must work as hard in the spiritual world as they do in the material world.
Part 1: Why do you think Rumi feels the spiritual world is so important in the life of the reader?
Part 2: How can one work as hard in the spiritual world as they do in the physical world?
Part 3: Do you think that you are working as hard in the spiritual world as you do in the material world?
Essay Topic 3
Within many of the poems that Rumi writes are references to biblical figures, even though Rumi is considered to be another religion besides Christian.
Part 1: Why do you think Rumi resonates with the stories of the biblical figures?
Part 2: Does it seem to be cultural appropriation to use the biblical stories in Rumi's poems?
Part 3: How do you think stories can impact us, even if they're not 'our' stories?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)