|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Rumi uses the metaphor of being sent to do a task by a King, and forgetting in the poem "The _____ Work".
2. Rumi states, in "The Prophets" no one knows if the _______ will sink or reach the harbor.
3. The man compares himself to a __________ in the sunrise, saying that he is lost in his lover's reflection.
4. The journey is a practice of ____________, rather than studying or learning with logic from the mind.
5. According to the book, Rumi lived by the idea that _______ is the religion instead of being tied to a particular paradigm.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the real work of human beings, according to the writings of Rumi?
2. To what does Rumi compare human beings who do not explore their own spirituality?
3. What does Zuleikha, an Egyptian woman in love with Joseph, do with the shirt that Joseph wears in the story?
4. What will happen after the traveler's legs become tired during the journey?
5. Describe the metaphor Rumi uses when it comes to the black sky and the moon.
6. What is the question Shams asks Rumi, which leads Rumi to believe that Shams is a great person?
7. What will happen to a person's present life when they are going on a spiritual journey, according to the writings of Rumi?
8. What happens with Joseph's shirt when he gives it to his brothers to help their father?
9. What does Barks have to say about Rumi as being a True Human Being? What does Barks say this means?
10. What is the profession of Rumi when Barks introduces him at the beginning of this book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rumi is a man who asked a lot of questions, if the poems are to be believed as being his life retold.
Part 1: Why do you think it's important to ask a lot of questions?
Part 2: How do you think a person might learn in life if they don't ask any questions?
Part 3: Are you a person who likes to ask a lot of questions? Why do you ask a lot of questions or why don't you?
Essay Topic 2
Within many of the poems that Rumi writes are references to biblical figures, even though Rumi is considered to be another religion besides Christian.
Part 1: Why do you think Rumi resonates with the stories of the biblical figures?
Part 2: Does it seem to be cultural appropriation to use the biblical stories in Rumi's poems?
Part 3: How do you think stories can impact us, even if they're not 'our' stories?
Essay Topic 3
According to Rumi, anything or anyone that is loved reflects the lover's spirituality as love brings one closer to God.
Part 1: What kinds of love do you think Rumi feels are going to best bring someone closer to God?
Part 2: How do you think love brings one closer to God and closer to spiritual fulfillment?
Part 3: Is it possible for everyone to find love and thus to find spiritual fulfillment?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)