|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Rumi points out that while others are laughing and dancing, there are few who will hear the ________ hidden within the notes.
2. Rumi describes paying attention to the breath and letting go of the _______ with outward breaths.
3. Rumi asks when seeing the birds flying in frenzied patterns whether the one he _______ is everywhere.
4. The ________ breath brings a presence, through the head to the heart, with a mantra, "God alone is real."
5. Rumi believes humans have an inherent instinct to be on a ___________, just a a bird is driven to fly.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Rumi say will not be able to wake to the truth, according to the writings of Rumi?
2. What happens with Joseph's shirt when he gives it to his brothers to help their father?
3. What is the metaphor Rumi uses in order to describe the pull of love in one's life and how one should be pulled by love?
4. What does Zuleikha, an Egyptian woman in love with Joseph, do with the shirt that Joseph wears in the story?
5. What is the story of Ramahrishna that Rumi tells at the start of this section of the book?
6. Why was Shams pushed out of the area by the students of Rumi, according to the beginning of the book?
7. What is the question Shams asks Rumi, which leads Rumi to believe that Shams is a great person?
8. What happens to the reed when it is cut, according to the writings of Rumi?
9. What doesn't matter in the midst of an orchard in the spring, according to the writings of Rumi?
10. What are the amazing things prophets have done, according to the writings of Rumi?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The new moon is used as a metaphor for patients and allowing for slowness in creation.
Part 1: Why do you think patience is so valuable when you are trying to create a stronger spiritual connection?
Part 2: Do you agree that patience is important in your life? How so?
Part 3: What do you think you could do in order to cultivate more patience in your life?
Essay Topic 2
Even everyday tasks are supposed to bring one closer to the spiritual connections in one's life, according to Rumi.
Part 1: Why are everyday tasks just as important to spiritual tasks?
Part 2: Do you think that there are mundane tasks you do which connect you with the spiritual side of your life?
Part 3: How do you think you could turn mundane tasks into spiritual ones?
Essay Topic 3
Rumi often gives the reader warnings about paying attention to the world around them, lest they miss something more important or beautiful.
Part 1: Do you think you are able to focus on the things which are important in your own life?
Part 2: Why do you think Rumi wants the reader to focus on everything around them?
Part 3: How do you look at the world? Do you focus on tiny details or can you focus on the big picture?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)