|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Rumi's "story gets told in various ways" including all of the following except________. He recommends that others not get too close to him.
2. Rumi notes that the miracle of Jesus is ______, not what he did or said about the future, according to the poems.
3. Rumi realizes that in all of his searching, he has actually been waiting to be _________ as opposed to brought inside.
4. Rumi suggests not doing the work God sent you for is "like using a priceless Indian _____ to cut rotten meat."
5. When Rumi died, he was mourned by members of all of the following religious groups except _______.
Short Essay Questions
1. After the narrator says they are no religion or culture, not east or west, what does the narrator say they do belong to?
2. What happens when you fast, according to the narrator of the poem, in one of Rumi's writings?
3. What is the profession of Rumi when Barks introduces him at the beginning of this book?
4. What happens with Joseph's shirt when he gives it to his brothers to help their father?
5. What is the story of Ramahrishna that Rumi tells at the start of this section of the book?
6. Why was Shams pushed out of the area by the students of Rumi, according to the beginning of the book?
7. What will happen to a person's present life when they are going on a spiritual journey, according to the writings of Rumi?
8. What does Rumi realize about his friend Shams when he doesn't believe that he is actually dead?
9. What are some of the ways a person will be able to bring themselves into the present moment, according to Barks?
10. What is the real work of human beings, according to the writings of Rumi?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
According to Rumi, anything or anyone that is loved reflects the lover's spirituality as love brings one closer to God.
Part 1: What kinds of love do you think Rumi feels are going to best bring someone closer to God?
Part 2: How do you think love brings one closer to God and closer to spiritual fulfillment?
Part 3: Is it possible for everyone to find love and thus to find spiritual fulfillment?
Essay Topic 2
Barks points out that repetition can be spiritual, not numbing as many people have come to think of it, in his opinion.
Part 1: Why do you think repeating something again and again can be spiritual?
Part 2: Are there any things you do again and again which you might find spiritual?
Part 3: How do you think the brain changes when it has to repeat the same action again and again?
Essay Topic 3
Even everyday tasks are supposed to bring one closer to the spiritual connections in one's life, according to Rumi.
Part 1: Why are everyday tasks just as important to spiritual tasks?
Part 2: Do you think that there are mundane tasks you do which connect you with the spiritual side of your life?
Part 3: How do you think you could turn mundane tasks into spiritual ones?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)