|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. __________ makes Rumi fierce and tender, according to his own admission in one of his poems.
2. What images in the book does Barks say reflect the idea of openings within the world and in the poems?
3. In a dream, according to Rumi, an _____________ in a garden of love reached out to call him forward.
(a) Old cook.
(b) Old man.
(c) Old child.
(d) Old woman.
4. The __________ is the reason for the praying, according to Allah, as Rumi recollects in one of his poems.
5. The poet states that ________ don't prepare us for the journey we all have to make, according to one of the poems.
Short Answer Questions
1. __________ is the character Rumi describes as a metalworker, making new shapes out of locks and chains.
2. Bawa's teachings not only encouraged Barks, but they also encouraged Barks to bring Rumi to ____________.
3. When Rumi's teacher would wash his hands, the water would turn to ___________, according to Rumi.
4. A _______ asks a man who is calling to Allah whether he has ever gotten a reply and then chastises the person for continuing to pray.
5. It is essential, according to Rumi, to know of the __________, which may sometimes be open and sometimes closed.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens as the result of the spiritual journey that Shams and Rumi discuss?
2. Why does the poet ask Shams and the Sun to help him in his poems, according to the writings of Rumi?
3. What are the differences that Rumi says do not exist in the garden of mystic lovers?
4. What are some of the things Rumi says are a part of a friend of all things?
5. What does Rumi try to do in order to find his lover again, according to the writings of Rumi?
6. What does Barks say that openings are a place for, according to his commentary in this section?
7. What happens as the result of surrendering to love, according to the writings of Rumi?
8. What does Rumi say that he doesn't regret in his life, according to one of his poems?
9. What happens during the chess game between Shams and Rumi, according to Barks?
10. What are the three ways in which Rumi could write, according to Shams?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)