|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. _________ are the wandering Sufis who laugh and love at everything, but they are in turmoil inside.
2. The poet calls out for his _____'s return and to re-live their union during the course of one of his poems.
3. __________ in the presence, at the price of one's life, is a bargain, according to one of the poems of Rumi.
4. Rumi uses the metaphor of tilling the soil to plant trees and roses for the way that one breaks up the __________.
(a) Lessons one is taught.
(b) Love in one's life.
5. Rumi speaks in the poem mentioned in #157 about a _________ bringing him back to this lost connection.
Short Answer Questions
1. Rumi asks the reader to make a __________, abhorring spiritual windowshoppers who are not giving fully of themselves.
2. Rumi's poem begins by stating that this state of being is the only _______ of which he knows.
3. The __________ of the world around Rumi will become his clothes and his jewels, according to the teachings of Rumi's teacher.
4. The robe of the teacher creates _________, according to Rumi, and the teacher also creates new life.
5. Though the _________ tries to think and read to find his lover again, there is no help in it, he realizes.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the fragrance bring back to Rumi, when he's lost a connection to a loved one, according to the poem?
2. What is essential in the windows of one heart to another, according to the writings of Rumi?
3. What happens as the result of surrendering to love, according to the writings of Rumi?
4. What did the poet's teacher teach him to do, according to the writings of Rumi?
5. What does Rumi think that cow might experience when they are in Baghdad?
6. Why does the poet ask Shams and the Sun to help him in his poems, according to the writings of Rumi?
7. What happens during the chess game between Shams and Rumi, according to Barks?
8. What does Rumi have to say about the gamble of love and what does he urge the reader to do?
9. What happened as a result of Zuleikha loving Joseph so much that he became everything to her?
10. What does Rumi say that he doesn't regret in his life, according to one of his poems?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)