|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In a dream, according to Rumi, an _____________ in a garden of love reached out to call him forward.
(a) Old woman.
(b) Old child.
(c) Old man.
(d) Old cook.
2. Barks talks in his commentary about the mysterious "________" in the poem, though he defines it differently.
3. Rumi also believes that a reader should _________, even if they don't mean it at first.
4. The poet says the reader is what every religion intends, urging _______ from love and from weeping.
5. When one begins to break down, Rumi says this is _________ and a feeling of being outside of time.
Short Answer Questions
1. Rumi decided to answer that he wrote so much because no ________ came from the radiance inside of him.
2. Barks talks about a teacher, Bawa Muhaiyaddeen, who taught both himself and MIchael Green, the book's __________.
3. Bawa lived alone in a ________ before beginning to teach in Sri Lanka in the 1940s before moving to Philadelphia.
4. The poet describes _________ appearing at the footsteps of his teacher, in one of his poems in this section.
5. When Rumi's teacher would wash his hands, the water would turn to ___________, according to Rumi.
Short Essay Questions
1. When Shams asks about if the drop stays still in the ocean, what does he tell Rumi to do?
2. What happens as the result of the spiritual journey that Shams and Rumi discuss?
3. What does Barks ask a reader to do in relation to being in a state of spirituality?
4. What does Rumi think that cow might experience when they are in Baghdad?
5. What happened to his crying when the poet was brought to life, according to the writings of Rumi?
6. What did the poet's teacher teach him to do, according to the writings of Rumi?
7. What does Rumi have to say about the gamble of love and what does he urge the reader to do?
8. What happened as a result of Zuleikha loving Joseph so much that he became everything to her?
9. What is essential in the windows of one heart to another, according to the writings of Rumi?
10. What happens during the chess game between Shams and Rumi, according to Barks?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)