|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. __________ in the presence, at the price of one's life, is a bargain, according to one of the poems of Rumi.
2. Rumi asks the reader to make a __________, abhorring spiritual windowshoppers who are not giving fully of themselves.
(d) Blood oath.
3. Barks writes in the commentary that Rumi was asked once why we wrote so much since he valued ___________.
4. The poet has to ask Shams and _________ to help him, since he is partly within himself and partly outside of himself.
5. The soul, says Rumi, is in the shape of a ___________, according to one of his many poems.
Short Answer Questions
1. When one begins to break down, Rumi says this is _________ and a feeling of being outside of time.
2. Who is the madman that wields a knife, the thing which is a nihilist that embraces destruction?
3. Rumi describes love as many things which come to his heart, like a thousand ____________ in one grain.
4. Bawa's teachings not only encouraged Barks, but they also encouraged Barks to bring Rumi to ____________.
5. The poet states that ________ don't prepare us for the journey we all have to make, according to one of the poems.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to his crying when the poet was brought to life, according to the writings of Rumi?
2. What does the teacher say about speaking scripture, according to the writings of Rumi?
3. What did the poet's teacher teach him to do, according to the writings of Rumi?
4. What happens as the result of surrendering to love, according to the writings of Rumi?
5. What does Rumi tell the reader to do in order to start their own spiritual journey, like Moses or Joseph did?
6. What does Rumi say that he doesn't regret in his life, according to one of his poems?
7. What is essential in the windows of one heart to another, according to the writings of Rumi?
8. What happens during the chess game between Shams and Rumi, according to Barks?
9. What does Rumi try to do in order to find his lover again, according to the writings of Rumi?
10. What do the Sufis think about love and about its ability to help people, according to the book?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)