|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. _________ are the wandering Sufis who laugh and love at everything, but they are in turmoil inside.
2. The poet says that he is a letter to everyone around him, a letter which says, "_______" according to the poet.
3. Rumi stops his list of things which he uses to describe a friend within his poem in order to ______________.
(a) Dance his dance.
(b) Keep a bird from flying away.
4. When asked how long he would remain in pain, Rumi answered that he was a _________ and his friend was the whole night.
5. What is the game that Rumi and Shams played, according to Barks, which brought them closer together?
(d) Truth or Dare.
Short Answer Questions
1. Barks compares humans talking about God to fish talking about the _________, in his commentary.
2. Rumi asks the reader to make a __________, abhorring spiritual windowshoppers who are not giving fully of themselves.
3. The poet describes himself as being someone who wants little and who needs only a _____________.
4. Rumi speaks of the surrendering to __________ which brings light to all one's flaws, within one of his poems.
5. The poet speaks of being locked in a _________ and of someone who brings him good and forgives him.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens during the chess game between Shams and Rumi, according to Barks?
2. What are the differences that Rumi says do not exist in the garden of mystic lovers?
3. Why does the poet ask Shams and the Sun to help him in his poems, according to the writings of Rumi?
4. What does Rumi try to do in order to find his lover again, according to the writings of Rumi?
5. What are the three ways in which Rumi could write, according to Shams?
6. What does the fragrance bring back to Rumi, when he's lost a connection to a loved one, according to the poem?
7. What does Barks ask a reader to do in relation to being in a state of spirituality?
8. What did the poet's teacher teach him to do, according to the writings of Rumi?
9. What does the teacher say about speaking scripture, according to the writings of Rumi?
10. What happens as the result of the spiritual journey that Shams and Rumi discuss?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)