|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. It is essential, according to Rumi, to know of the __________, which may sometimes be open and sometimes closed.
2. The poet has to ask Shams and _________ to help him, since he is partly within himself and partly outside of himself.
3. Barks talks in his commentary about the mysterious "________" in the poem, though he defines it differently.
4. Though the _________ tries to think and read to find his lover again, there is no help in it, he realizes.
5. The poem at the start of this section describes the idea that human beings visit space through breaking one's ________ down.
Short Answer Questions
1. Rumi asks the reader to welcome all __________ in one's life, even the ones which are negative.
2. Bawa lived alone in a ________ before beginning to teach in Sri Lanka in the 1940s before moving to Philadelphia.
3. Barks points out the use of the word "_______" in one of the poems to be intended for the end of a vigil.
4. Rumi notes that everywhere a reader goes, they will perceive others as they themselves are, just as a _________ will ignore the amazing city of Baghdad.
5. Rumi speaks of the surrendering to __________ which brings light to all one's flaws, within one of his poems.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the teacher say about speaking scripture, according to the writings of Rumi?
2. What does Rumi say that he doesn't regret in his life, according to one of his poems?
3. What does the fragrance bring back to Rumi, when he's lost a connection to a loved one, according to the poem?
4. How does Rumi describe the person named David in his writings and poems?
5. What does Barks ask a reader to do in relation to being in a state of spirituality?
6. What does Rumi tell the reader to do in order to start their own spiritual journey, like Moses or Joseph did?
7. What happens during the chess game between Shams and Rumi, according to Barks?
8. What happened to his crying when the poet was brought to life, according to the writings of Rumi?
9. What happened as a result of Zuleikha loving Joseph so much that he became everything to her?
10. What happens as the result of the spiritual journey that Shams and Rumi discuss?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)