|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What season does Rumi say it always is within the human soul, according to his writing?
2. Shams comes down from the ___________, the poet says, and the readers will become the doorkeepers.
3. When Rumi's teacher would wash his hands, the water would turn to ___________, according to Rumi.
4. The ________ speaking scripture brings the dead students of scripture to life, according to Rumi.
5. The poet describes himself as being someone who wants little and who needs only a _____________.
(b) Half a loaf of bread.
(c) Piece of cheese.
Short Answer Questions
1. The poet speaks of happiness for an unknown reason, and it becomes easy to ______, though the joy is inexplicable.
2. The poet has to ask Shams and _________ to help him, since he is partly within himself and partly outside of himself.
3. The poet says the reader is what every religion intends, urging _______ from love and from weeping.
4. The __________ inside of its cocoon is the metaphor which Rumi uses in order to discuss a man's journey into himself.
5. The poem at the start of this section describes the idea that human beings visit space through breaking one's ________ down.
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the Sufis think about love and about its ability to help people, according to the book?
2. What does Rumi have to say about the gamble of love and what does he urge the reader to do?
3. What happens as the result of surrendering to love, according to the writings of Rumi?
4. How does Rumi describe the idea of love in the last section of these poems?
5. What does the fragrance bring back to Rumi, when he's lost a connection to a loved one, according to the poem?
6. What are the three ways in which Rumi could write, according to Shams?
7. What does Rumi think that cow might experience when they are in Baghdad?
8. What happened as a result of Zuleikha loving Joseph so much that he became everything to her?
9. What happens as the result of the spiritual journey that Shams and Rumi discuss?
10. What are some of the things Rumi says are a part of a friend of all things?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)