|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. __________ in the presence, at the price of one's life, is a bargain, according to one of the poems of Rumi.
2. The poet asks the reader to give everything, not to dull the drum's noise with a __________.
3. Then, according to Rumi, the student felt love and became the __________ cast by the light of the teacher.
4. Rumi confesses to wanting to have his teacher's __________ in order that he might fly too.
5. Barks asks the reader to be in a state of _______ instead of reading about it, to live the connection about which Rumi speaks.
Short Answer Questions
1. The poet asks a reader to imagine returning to the place from whence they came and imagine being greeted with _________.
2. Who is the madman that wields a knife, the thing which is a nihilist that embraces destruction?
3. What is NOT one of the ways in which Rumi writes, according to Barks in his commentary piece?
4. Barks talks in his commentary about the mysterious "________" in the poem, though he defines it differently.
5. _________ are the wandering Sufis who laugh and love at everything, but they are in turmoil inside.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens as the result of the spiritual journey that Shams and Rumi discuss?
2. How does Rumi describe the idea of love in the last section of these poems?
3. What happened as a result of Zuleikha loving Joseph so much that he became everything to her?
4. What does Rumi think that cow might experience when they are in Baghdad?
5. What does Rumi say that he doesn't regret in his life, according to one of his poems?
6. What happened to his crying when the poet was brought to life, according to the writings of Rumi?
7. What happens during the chess game between Shams and Rumi, according to Barks?
8. What happens as the result of surrendering to love, according to the writings of Rumi?
9. What did the poet's teacher teach him to do, according to the writings of Rumi?
10. What does Barks ask a reader to do in relation to being in a state of spirituality?
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)