|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Rumi doesn't want "wealth and position." He suggests that in this matter he is "______ resisting the most enormous magnet there is."
2. The _____ in which Joseph sits in darkness at the bottom of is recognized as a visionary place.
3. According to the book, the eye is for _______; the soul for joy. The head is for loving; the legs for running.
4. Anger is the main topic that Rumi explores in the poem entitled "A ______ Sky Hates the Moon."
5. Love is more than an old study of _________, according to the writing of Rumi in this section.
Short Answer Questions
1. Rumi notes there is only one search in the world: "___________ this world is wandering that..."
2. Whose table is spread with better food when a person fasts, according to Rumi?
3. Every day, Rumi says, people wake up with _________, but they need to continue to walk their spiritual path.
4. When a man is approached by a person who wants to bring his reluctant cousin to a spiritual leader, what is used to convince the cousin?
5. The man compares himself to a __________ in the sunrise, saying that he is lost in his lover's reflection.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when you fast, according to the narrator of the poem, in one of Rumi's writings?
2. What does Rumi say has happened since he has been knocking on a door?
3. What will happen after the traveler's legs become tired during the journey?
4. What does Zuleikha, an Egyptian woman in love with Joseph, do with the shirt that Joseph wears in the story?
5. What is the metaphor Rumi uses in order to describe the pull of love in one's life and how one should be pulled by love?
6. What is the real work of human beings, according to the writings of Rumi?
7. Why was Shams pushed out of the area by the students of Rumi, according to the beginning of the book?
8. What does Barks have to say about Rumi as being a True Human Being? What does Barks say this means?
9. What are some of the ways a person will be able to bring themselves into the present moment, according to Barks?
10. What happens after Joseph is sold into slavery by his brothers, according to the writings of Rumi?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)