|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The destination may be unclear for __________ understanding, according to Rumi, but one should walk anyway.
2. In one poem, Rumi begins to describe two lovers who are ___________ and drinking water.
3. ______ means the sun, and Rumi often referred to him in his poetry which he began writing after his friend's death.
4. In a poem, Rumi asks the lion of the ________ to roar and rend open the writer, according to the content of the poem.
5. The _____ in which Joseph sits in darkness at the bottom of is recognized as a visionary place.
Short Answer Questions
1. Rumi states that "the human shape is a _______ made of distraction and pain, trying to open the image of itself."
2. Rumi points out that while others are laughing and dancing, there are few who will hear the ________ hidden within the notes.
3. Jelaluddin Rumi was born in the remote town of _______ in what is now Afghanistan.
4. Rumi describes a ______ that wakes up one day to discover that he is "the entire vineyard, and the orchard too."
5. According to the book, the eye is for _______; the soul for joy. The head is for loving; the legs for running.
Short Essay Questions
1. To what does Rumi compare human beings who do not explore their own spirituality?
2. What are some of the ways a person will be able to bring themselves into the present moment, according to Barks?
3. What is the real work of human beings, according to the writings of Rumi?
4. What is the story of Ramahrishna that Rumi tells at the start of this section of the book?
5. What is the question Shams asks Rumi, which leads Rumi to believe that Shams is a great person?
6. What does Rumi do when he is so impressed with the depth of the knowledge of Shams?
7. What doesn't matter in the midst of an orchard in the spring, according to the writings of Rumi?
8. Who does Rumi say will not be able to wake to the truth, according to the writings of Rumi?
9. Describe the metaphor Rumi uses when it comes to the black sky and the moon.
10. What happens after Joseph is sold into slavery by his brothers, according to the writings of Rumi?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)