|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In one of the poems Rumi states, "We are charlatans... or maybe just a ______ hair brush in a painter's hand."
2. Rumi asks the reader to let their _______ move them, playing music instead of reading as they go along.
3. Rumi's poetry can be thought of as a conversation with _______, a discussion of what it is to be together in God.
(d) St. Francis.
4. Rumi notes that the miracle of Jesus is ______, not what he did or said about the future, according to the poems.
5. Rumi realizes that in all of his searching, he has actually been waiting to be _________ as opposed to brought inside.
(c) Let out.
Short Answer Questions
1. The story of Joseph focuses on the loss of his _____ of many colors that has false blood on it to convince people of his death.
2. Rumi suggests that human beings are like "some weird kind of ______ that wants to stay melted in the furnace."
3. Rumi slipped back into what ______ the Greek called the whole catastrophe as a living example of another possibility for life.
4. The _________ represents the imagination where the spiritual journey takes place, according to Rumi.
5. In a poem, Rumi asks the lion of the ________ to roar and rend open the writer, according to the content of the poem.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when you fast, according to the narrator of the poem, in one of Rumi's writings?
2. Who does Rumi say will not be able to wake to the truth, according to the writings of Rumi?
3. What will happen to a person's present life when they are going on a spiritual journey, according to the writings of Rumi?
4. What does Rumi do when he is so impressed with the depth of the knowledge of Shams?
5. How does breathing help to calm a person, according to Barks' thoughts at the beginning of the section?
6. What does Barks have to say about Rumi as being a True Human Being? What does Barks say this means?
7. What does Zuleikha, an Egyptian woman in love with Joseph, do with the shirt that Joseph wears in the story?
8. What happens after Joseph is sold into slavery by his brothers, according to the writings of Rumi?
9. What are some of the ways a person will be able to bring themselves into the present moment, according to Barks?
10. What is the real work of human beings, according to the writings of Rumi?
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)