|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The writer continues to tell the reader to keep working, searching for __________ in the daily practice.
2. When Rumi died, he was mourned by members of all of the following religious groups except _______.
3. Rumi states "This _____ began in some other tavern. When I get back around to that place I will be completely sober."
4. The ________ breath brings a presence, through the head to the heart, with a mantra, "God alone is real."
5. Rumi states, in "The Prophets" no one knows if the _______ will sink or reach the harbor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Rumi asserts in his poems that "the miracle of ______ is himself, not what he said or did about the future."
2. According to the book, the eye is for _______; the soul for joy. The head is for loving; the legs for running.
3. Rumi compares daily spiritual practice to continuing to knock at a ___________ to eventually contact the joy inside.
4. Sufis are loved the world over for reminding us that the glory is our ______ reality and the opposite is a kind of language for expressing it.
5. Fullness _______ the soul, while emptiness frees it, according to the writing of Rumi in the poem.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does breathing help to calm a person, according to Barks' thoughts at the beginning of the section?
2. What doesn't matter in the midst of an orchard in the spring, according to the writings of Rumi?
3. What is the question Shams asks Rumi, which leads Rumi to believe that Shams is a great person?
4. What does Rumi do when he is so impressed with the depth of the knowledge of Shams?
5. What does Zuleikha, an Egyptian woman in love with Joseph, do with the shirt that Joseph wears in the story?
6. What happens to the reed when it is cut, according to the writings of Rumi?
7. Why was Shams pushed out of the area by the students of Rumi, according to the beginning of the book?
8. What are some of the ways a person will be able to bring themselves into the present moment, according to Barks?
9. What is the metaphor Rumi uses in order to describe the pull of love in one's life and how one should be pulled by love?
10. What are the amazing things prophets have done, according to the writings of Rumi?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)