|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Rumi describes paying attention to the breath and letting go of the _______ with outward breaths.
2. Rumi was able to take all the usual existential issues that human beings face on a daily basis and change them to ______.
3. Rumi slipped back into what ______ the Greek called the whole catastrophe as a living example of another possibility for life.
4. Rumi urges the reader to let go of the _____, the covering clothes, and to be naked in the world, according to his writing.
5. According to the book, when Rumi realized the greatness of Shams, he fell off his _______ unconscious.
Short Answer Questions
1. _______ was sold by his brothers into slavery in Egypt , gradually came to power there, and made a complicated trade route.
2. Rumi asks the reader to let their _______ move them, playing music instead of reading as they go along.
3. Fullness _______ the soul, while emptiness frees it, according to the writing of Rumi in the poem.
4. Rumi describes a ______ that wakes up one day to discover that he is "the entire vineyard, and the orchard too."
5. _________, according to Rumi, will tend to accumulate while the real work is going on elsewhere.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rumi say has happened since he has been knocking on a door?
2. What does Rumi do when he is so impressed with the depth of the knowledge of Shams?
3. What does Barks have to say about Rumi as being a True Human Being? What does Barks say this means?
4. What is the profession of Rumi when Barks introduces him at the beginning of this book?
5. What does Rumi realize about his friend Shams when he doesn't believe that he is actually dead?
6. Who does Rumi say will not be able to wake to the truth, according to the writings of Rumi?
7. After the narrator says they are no religion or culture, not east or west, what does the narrator say they do belong to?
8. What does Zuleikha, an Egyptian woman in love with Joseph, do with the shirt that Joseph wears in the story?
9. What will happen after the traveler's legs become tired during the journey?
10. What happens with Joseph's shirt when he gives it to his brothers to help their father?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)