|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The pull of love is something Rumi compares to a ________, urging the reader to realize learning is about more than just books.
2. In the poem, "Give ______ slowly" Rumi uses the new moon as a metaphor for patients and slowness in creation.
3. The Egyptian woman that is in love with Joseph is known as _______, clings to his shirt and tears it from his back.
4. Rumi states, in "The Prophets" no one knows if the _______ will sink or reach the harbor.
5. The poet notes that he is nothing, not from an origin story, not body or __________, according to the writing.
Short Answer Questions
1. Love is more than an old study of _________, according to the writing of Rumi in this section.
2. Rumi advises the reader to disappear with the _________ each month and to bend like a tree limb.
3. The writer continues to tell the reader to keep working, searching for __________ in the daily practice.
4. The destination may be unclear for __________ understanding, according to Rumi, but one should walk anyway.
5. Rumi notes there is only one search in the world: "___________ this world is wandering that..."
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the reed when it is cut, according to the writings of Rumi?
2. What is the metaphor Rumi uses to urge the reader to take risks in their life?
3. What happens after Joseph is sold into slavery by his brothers, according to the writings of Rumi?
4. After the narrator says they are no religion or culture, not east or west, what does the narrator say they do belong to?
5. What does Rumi realize about his friend Shams when he doesn't believe that he is actually dead?
6. Who does Rumi say will not be able to wake to the truth, according to the writings of Rumi?
7. Where do human beings sit, according to the writings of Rumi, when they are in a prison?
8. What is the story of Ramahrishna that Rumi tells at the start of this section of the book?
9. What does Zuleikha, an Egyptian woman in love with Joseph, do with the shirt that Joseph wears in the story?
10. What does Rumi do when he is so impressed with the depth of the knowledge of Shams?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)