|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Rumi sent his son _______ to bring back his exiled companion. He was found playing cards with the future St. Francis of Assisi.
(b) Sultan Balkh.
(c) Sultan Veled.
2. In the poem, "Give ______ slowly" Rumi uses the new moon as a metaphor for patients and slowness in creation.
3. Jelaluddin Rumi was born in the remote town of _______ in what is now Afghanistan.
4. In the poem "The Prophets" the people wonder "How long should we keep pounding this cold _____?"
5. Rumi states, in "The Prophets" no one knows if the _______ will sink or reach the harbor.
Short Answer Questions
1. When a man is approached by a person who wants to bring his reluctant cousin to a spiritual leader, what is used to convince the cousin?
2. The man compares himself to a __________ in the sunrise, saying that he is lost in his lover's reflection.
3. Not doing the work God sent you to do is like "pounding a _____ of the finest tempering to hang things on."
4. Not doing the work God sent you for is the equivalent of "using a _____ bowl to cook turnips in.
5. _________, according to Rumi, will tend to accumulate while the real work is going on elsewhere.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the question Shams asks Rumi, which leads Rumi to believe that Shams is a great person?
2. What is the metaphor Rumi uses in order to describe the pull of love in one's life and how one should be pulled by love?
3. To what does Rumi compare human beings who do not explore their own spirituality?
4. What happens after Joseph is sold into slavery by his brothers, according to the writings of Rumi?
5. What is the profession of Rumi when Barks introduces him at the beginning of this book?
6. What is the real work of human beings, according to the writings of Rumi?
7. What does Barks have to say about Rumi as being a True Human Being? What does Barks say this means?
8. What will happen after the traveler's legs become tired during the journey?
9. What do Barks and Rumi have to say about the rhythms and the way that a person breathes in their life?
10. What does Rumi say has happened since he has been knocking on a door?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)