|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Rumi suggests that people listen to his message with the ear that is in the center of the _______.
2. The story of Joseph focuses on the loss of his _____ of many colors that has false blood on it to convince people of his death.
3. Rumi's "story gets told in various ways" including all of the following except________. He recommends that others not get too close to him.
(a) A romance.
(b) A dirty joke.
(c) A funeral.
(d) A war.
4. Rumi was able to take all the usual existential issues that human beings face on a daily basis and change them to ______.
5. Rumi doesn't want "wealth and position." He suggests that in this matter he is "______ resisting the most enormous magnet there is."
Short Answer Questions
1. Rumi asks the reader to let their _______ move them, playing music instead of reading as they go along.
2. When Rumi regained consciousness, he stated that _______ was the greater because he realized the breadth of God.
3. In the poem, "Give ______ slowly" Rumi uses the new moon as a metaphor for patients and slowness in creation.
4. Rumi describes the journey a person must make as drinking ______ like water and eating sunset, in his poems.
5. Rumi instructs us to "consider what the prophets have done. ______ wore fire for an anklet, Moses spoke to the sea."
Short Essay Questions
1. How does breathing help to calm a person, according to Barks' thoughts at the beginning of the section?
2. What should a person do with their life instead of acting from fear, according to the writings of Rumi?
3. What is the question Shams asks Rumi, which leads Rumi to believe that Shams is a great person?
4. What happens with Joseph's shirt when he gives it to his brothers to help their father?
5. Why was Shams pushed out of the area by the students of Rumi, according to the beginning of the book?
6. After the narrator says they are no religion or culture, not east or west, what does the narrator say they do belong to?
7. What doesn't matter in the midst of an orchard in the spring, according to the writings of Rumi?
8. What will happen to a person's present life when they are going on a spiritual journey, according to the writings of Rumi?
9. What happens to the reed when it is cut, according to the writings of Rumi?
10. What happens after Joseph is sold into slavery by his brothers, according to the writings of Rumi?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)