|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Rumi asserts in his poems that "the miracle of ______ is himself, not what he said or did about the future."
2. Rumi suggests "My _____ is from elsewhere. Whoever brought me here will have to take me home."
3. Not doing the work God sent you to do is like "pounding a _____ of the finest tempering to hang things on."
4. Rumi was able to take all the usual existential issues that human beings face on a daily basis and change them to ______.
5. The man compares himself to a __________ in the sunrise, saying that he is lost in his lover's reflection.
Short Answer Questions
1. Rumi notes that the miracle of Jesus is ______, not what he did or said about the future, according to the poems.
2. The poet quotes Muhammad in one of the poems, saying that he will come take a person before _________.
3. When a man is approached by a person who wants to bring his reluctant cousin to a spiritual leader, what is used to convince the cousin?
4. Whose table is spread with better food when a person fasts, according to Rumi?
5. Rumi describes paying attention to the breath and letting go of the _______ with outward breaths.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when you fast, according to the narrator of the poem, in one of Rumi's writings?
2. What does Zuleikha, an Egyptian woman in love with Joseph, do with the shirt that Joseph wears in the story?
3. After the narrator says they are no religion or culture, not east or west, what does the narrator say they do belong to?
4. What does Rumi realize about his friend Shams when he doesn't believe that he is actually dead?
5. What should a person do with their life instead of acting from fear, according to the writings of Rumi?
6. What is the question Shams asks Rumi, which leads Rumi to believe that Shams is a great person?
7. What does Rumi do when he is so impressed with the depth of the knowledge of Shams?
8. What are some of the ways a person will be able to bring themselves into the present moment, according to Barks?
9. What will happen to a person's present life when they are going on a spiritual journey, according to the writings of Rumi?
10. What is the profession of Rumi when Barks introduces him at the beginning of this book?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)