|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Shams asks Rumi who is greater, Muhammad the messenger of God, or ______ a mystic who claimed to be one with God.
2. Rumi suggests that people listen to his message with the ear that is in the center of the _______.
3. Rumi describes a ______ that wakes up one day to discover that he is "the entire vineyard, and the orchard too."
4. According to the book, the eye is for _______; the soul for joy. The head is for loving; the legs for running.
5. Rumi points out that while others are laughing and dancing, there are few who will hear the ________ hidden within the notes.
Short Answer Questions
1. ______ was killed on December 5, 1247, after being exiled and returning on several different occasions.
2. The "___" is an illusion, according to Rumi, and this is why this part needs to be removed from the experience.
3. Love is more than an old study of _________, according to the writing of Rumi in this section.
4. The ________ breath brings a presence, through the head to the heart, with a mantra, "God alone is real."
5. Rumi compares daily spiritual practice to continuing to knock at a ___________ to eventually contact the joy inside.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does breathing help to calm a person, according to Barks' thoughts at the beginning of the section?
2. What does Rumi realize about his friend Shams when he doesn't believe that he is actually dead?
3. What does Rumi have to say about the road to Mecca when he is describing the idea that some mysteries aren't meant to be known?
4. Where do human beings sit, according to the writings of Rumi, when they are in a prison?
5. Who does Rumi say will not be able to wake to the truth, according to the writings of Rumi?
6. What happens with Joseph's shirt when he gives it to his brothers to help their father?
7. Why was Shams pushed out of the area by the students of Rumi, according to the beginning of the book?
8. What should a person do with their life instead of acting from fear, according to the writings of Rumi?
9. What are the amazing things prophets have done, according to the writings of Rumi?
10. What is the story of Ramahrishna that Rumi tells at the start of this section of the book?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)