|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Not doing the work God sent you to do is like "pounding a _____ of the finest tempering to hang things on."
2. According to the book, when Rumi realized the greatness of Shams, he fell off his _______ unconscious.
3. Since the reed was cut from the bed, it has made a ___________ sound, according to the description by Rumi.
4. The poet notes that he is nothing, not from an origin story, not body or __________, according to the writing.
5. Rumi points out that while others are laughing and dancing, there are few who will hear the ________ hidden within the notes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Rumi suggests that human beings are like "some weird kind of ______ that wants to stay melted in the furnace."
2. The _________ represents the imagination where the spiritual journey takes place, according to Rumi.
3. _________, according to Rumi, will tend to accumulate while the real work is going on elsewhere.
4. Rumi lived most of his life in ______ Turkey which at the time was a great meeting place for many different cultures.
5. The journey is a practice of ____________, rather than studying or learning with logic from the mind.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rumi say has happened since he has been knocking on a door?
2. What does Rumi have to say about the road to Mecca when he is describing the idea that some mysteries aren't meant to be known?
3. What is the metaphor Rumi uses in order to describe the pull of love in one's life and how one should be pulled by love?
4. What will happen after the traveler's legs become tired during the journey?
5. To what does Rumi compare human beings who do not explore their own spirituality?
6. What are some of the ways a person will be able to bring themselves into the present moment, according to Barks?
7. What happens after Joseph is sold into slavery by his brothers, according to the writings of Rumi?
8. What is the metaphor Rumi uses to urge the reader to take risks in their life?
9. What does Rumi realize about his friend Shams when he doesn't believe that he is actually dead?
10. What is the profession of Rumi when Barks introduces him at the beginning of this book?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)