|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In one of the poems Rumi states, "We are charlatans... or maybe just a ______ hair brush in a painter's hand."
2. In the poem, "Give ______ slowly" Rumi uses the new moon as a metaphor for patients and slowness in creation.
3. Rumi slipped back into what ______ the Greek called the whole catastrophe as a living example of another possibility for life.
4. The Egyptian woman that is in love with Joseph is known as _______, clings to his shirt and tears it from his back.
5. Rumi urges the reader to let go of the _____, the covering clothes, and to be naked in the world, according to his writing.
Short Answer Questions
1. The story of Joseph focuses on the loss of his _____ of many colors that has false blood on it to convince people of his death.
2. ______ was killed on December 5, 1247, after being exiled and returning on several different occasions.
3. Joseph gives his Egyptian shirt to his ______ to lay over the eyes of Jacob, whose vision is then restored.
4. Rumi's mystical work was contained within the patterns of ______ Sufism but the life was witness to the boundless universality of the heart.
5. Who is the spiritual leader who is approached in order to see how a person might be coaxed into learning?
Short Essay Questions
1. What doesn't matter in the midst of an orchard in the spring, according to the writings of Rumi?
2. What does Zuleikha, an Egyptian woman in love with Joseph, do with the shirt that Joseph wears in the story?
3. Why was Shams pushed out of the area by the students of Rumi, according to the beginning of the book?
4. What is the profession of Rumi when Barks introduces him at the beginning of this book?
5. What does Rumi do when he is so impressed with the depth of the knowledge of Shams?
6. What does Rumi have to say about the road to Mecca when he is describing the idea that some mysteries aren't meant to be known?
7. What will happen to a person's present life when they are going on a spiritual journey, according to the writings of Rumi?
8. Who does Rumi say will not be able to wake to the truth, according to the writings of Rumi?
9. What does Rumi say has happened since he has been knocking on a door?
10. What should a person do with their life instead of acting from fear, according to the writings of Rumi?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)