|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the spiritual leader who is approached in order to see how a person might be coaxed into learning?
2. The journey is a practice of ____________, rather than studying or learning with logic from the mind.
3. Rumi suggests that "sitting in hell at the bottom of the dark, we are afraid of our own ________."
4. Shams asks Rumi who is greater, Muhammad the messenger of God, or ______ a mystic who claimed to be one with God.
5. Rumi slipped back into what ______ the Greek called the whole catastrophe as a living example of another possibility for life.
Short Answer Questions
1. Rumi describes paying attention to the breath and letting go of the _______ with outward breaths.
2. Sufis are loved the world over for reminding us that the glory is our ______ reality and the opposite is a kind of language for expressing it.
3. Rumi's students saw ______ as a madman and he was eventually forced out of the area.
4. The pull of love is something Rumi compares to a ________, urging the reader to realize learning is about more than just books.
5. Rumi asks when seeing the birds flying in frenzied patterns whether the one he _______ is everywhere.
Short Essay Questions
1. What will happen to a person's present life when they are going on a spiritual journey, according to the writings of Rumi?
2. After the narrator says they are no religion or culture, not east or west, what does the narrator say they do belong to?
3. What are some of the ways a person will be able to bring themselves into the present moment, according to Barks?
4. What does Rumi realize about his friend Shams when he doesn't believe that he is actually dead?
5. What is the story of Ramahrishna that Rumi tells at the start of this section of the book?
6. What is the metaphor Rumi uses to urge the reader to take risks in their life?
7. What does Zuleikha, an Egyptian woman in love with Joseph, do with the shirt that Joseph wears in the story?
8. What will happen after the traveler's legs become tired during the journey?
9. What happens after Joseph is sold into slavery by his brothers, according to the writings of Rumi?
10. What are the amazing things prophets have done, according to the writings of Rumi?
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)