|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Rumi asserts in his poems that "the miracle of ______ is himself, not what he said or did about the future."
2. Rumi uses the metaphor of being sent to do a task by a King, and forgetting in the poem "The _____ Work".
3. Love is more than an old study of _________, according to the writing of Rumi in this section.
4. Those who do not wake to the truth, according to Rumi, are those who do not embrace the beauty of __________.
5. Rumi sent his son _______ to bring back his exiled companion. He was found playing cards with the future St. Francis of Assisi.
(a) Sultan Balkh.
(c) Sultan Veled.
Short Answer Questions
1. Rumi's "story gets told in various ways" including all of the following except________. He recommends that others not get too close to him.
2. "______ think they're looking for each other, but there's only one search: wandering the world."
3. The story of Joseph focuses on the loss of his _____ of many colors that has false blood on it to convince people of his death.
4. Barks reminds the reader about how often ______ is used as a piece of advice for calming one's self.
5. The "___" is an illusion, according to Rumi, and this is why this part needs to be removed from the experience.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the story of Ramahrishna that Rumi tells at the start of this section of the book?
2. Why was Shams pushed out of the area by the students of Rumi, according to the beginning of the book?
3. What is the profession of Rumi when Barks introduces him at the beginning of this book?
4. To what does Rumi compare human beings who do not explore their own spirituality?
5. What does Rumi say has happened since he has been knocking on a door?
6. What does Rumi do when he is so impressed with the depth of the knowledge of Shams?
7. What are some of the ways a person will be able to bring themselves into the present moment, according to Barks?
8. What will happen to a person's present life when they are going on a spiritual journey, according to the writings of Rumi?
9. What are the amazing things prophets have done, according to the writings of Rumi?
10. What does Zuleikha, an Egyptian woman in love with Joseph, do with the shirt that Joseph wears in the story?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)