|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Rumi asks the reader to let their _______ move them, playing music instead of reading as they go along.
2. Not doing the work God sent you for is the equivalent of "using a _____ bowl to cook turnips in.
3. Rumi suggests not doing the work God sent you for is "like using a priceless Indian _____ to cut rotten meat."
4. Rumi describes paying attention to the breath and letting go of the _______ with outward breaths.
5. Joseph gives his Egyptian shirt to his ______ to lay over the eyes of Jacob, whose vision is then restored.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the poem, "Give ______ slowly" Rumi uses the new moon as a metaphor for patients and slowness in creation.
2. According to the book, Rumi lived by the idea that _______ is the religion instead of being tied to a particular paradigm.
3. _______ was sold by his brothers into slavery in Egypt , gradually came to power there, and made a complicated trade route.
4. Rumi suggests that "sitting in hell at the bottom of the dark, we are afraid of our own ________."
5. Rumi doesn't want "wealth and position." He suggests that in this matter he is "______ resisting the most enormous magnet there is."
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do human beings sit, according to the writings of Rumi, when they are in a prison?
2. Why was Shams pushed out of the area by the students of Rumi, according to the beginning of the book?
3. What will happen to a person's present life when they are going on a spiritual journey, according to the writings of Rumi?
4. What is the profession of Rumi when Barks introduces him at the beginning of this book?
5. What is the question Shams asks Rumi, which leads Rumi to believe that Shams is a great person?
6. Describe the metaphor Rumi uses when it comes to the black sky and the moon.
7. What does Rumi realize about his friend Shams when he doesn't believe that he is actually dead?
8. What are some of the ways a person will be able to bring themselves into the present moment, according to Barks?
9. How does breathing help to calm a person, according to Barks' thoughts at the beginning of the section?
10. What does Zuleikha, an Egyptian woman in love with Joseph, do with the shirt that Joseph wears in the story?
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)