|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The poet describes _________ appearing at the footsteps of his teacher, in one of his poems in this section.
(c) Gold pieces.
2. The robe of the teacher creates _________, according to Rumi, and the teacher also creates new life.
3. There is beauty in every meeting or gathering, the presence of _________, of 'the Friend' in one of Rumi's poems.
4. What images in the book does Barks say reflect the idea of openings within the world and in the poems?
5. Rumi compares his soul to a drop in a spiritual _________ saying that it is always a certain season the human soul.
6. Barks writes in the commentary that Rumi was asked once why we wrote so much since he valued ___________.
7. Barks asks the reader to be in a state of _______ instead of reading about it, to live the connection about which Rumi speaks.
8. Rumi asks the reader to make a __________, abhorring spiritual windowshoppers who are not giving fully of themselves.
(c) Blood oath.
9. The poet says the reader is what every religion intends, urging _______ from love and from weeping.
10. __________ makes Rumi fierce and tender, according to his own admission in one of his poems.
11. Rumi wants the reader to know that embracing _________ transforms this into joy.
12. The poet describes himself as being someone who wants little and who needs only a _____________.
(a) Piece of cheese.
(d) Half a loaf of bread.
13. A _______ asks a man who is calling to Allah whether he has ever gotten a reply and then chastises the person for continuing to pray.
14. __________ in the presence, at the price of one's life, is a bargain, according to one of the poems of Rumi.
15. Rumi notes that everywhere a reader goes, they will perceive others as they themselves are, just as a _________ will ignore the amazing city of Baghdad.
Short Answer Questions
1. Shams points out that what everyone is actually worshiping is ___________, rather than a higher being.
2. What season does Rumi say it always is within the human soul, according to his writing?
3. Rumi says to give up wanting what others hand and says that the day is a __________ day, according to his writing.
4. Rumi confesses to wanting to have his teacher's __________ in order that he might fly too.
5. The ________ speaking scripture brings the dead students of scripture to life, according to Rumi.
This section contains 453 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)