|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The poet says the he would die into _______, as clouds might disappear into the sun, according to his writings.
(c) The moon.
2. Rumi speaks in the poem mentioned in #157 about a _________ bringing him back to this lost connection.
3. The ________ speaking scripture brings the dead students of scripture to life, according to Rumi.
4. Barks compares humans talking about God to fish talking about the _________, in his commentary.
5. Rumi asks the reader to welcome all __________ in one's life, even the ones which are negative.
6. Rumi notes that everywhere a reader goes, they will perceive others as they themselves are, just as a _________ will ignore the amazing city of Baghdad.
7. Though the _________ tries to think and read to find his lover again, there is no help in it, he realizes.
8. The robe of the teacher creates _________, according to Rumi, and the teacher also creates new life.
9. The poem at the start of this section describes the idea that human beings visit space through breaking one's ________ down.
10. Rumi stops his list of things which he uses to describe a friend within his poem in order to ______________.
(a) Keep a bird from flying away.
(c) Dance his dance.
11. _________ are the wandering Sufis who laugh and love at everything, but they are in turmoil inside.
12. The poet describes himself as being someone who wants little and who needs only a _____________.
(a) Half a loaf of bread.
(c) Piece of cheese.
13. Shams points out that what everyone is actually worshiping is ___________, rather than a higher being.
(b) An idea.
(c) A song.
(d) Each other.
14. Rumi speaks of the surrendering to __________ which brings light to all one's flaws, within one of his poems.
15. Anyone or anything that is loved reflects the lover's ____________, according to Barks in relation to the Sufis.
Short Answer Questions
1. Rumi compares his soul to a drop in a spiritual _________ saying that it is always a certain season the human soul.
2. Lovers have to ________________, but they will find something of infinite value, according to the writing of Rumi.
3. Who is the madman that wields a knife, the thing which is a nihilist that embraces destruction?
4. Rumi talks to the reader about the desired kiss as the _________ coming up into the lips of a person.
5. Bawa lived alone in a ________ before beginning to teach in Sri Lanka in the 1940s before moving to Philadelphia.
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)