|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What images in the book does Barks say reflect the idea of openings within the world and in the poems?
2. Barks points out the use of the word "_______" in one of the poems to be intended for the end of a vigil.
3. Rumi became joyous, and then died, and then became a fool, according to his writing, and then became scattered _________.
4. The poem at the start of this section describes the idea that human beings visit space through breaking one's ________ down.
5. Rumi's poem begins by stating that this state of being is the only _______ of which he knows.
6. When asked how long he would remain in pain, Rumi answered that he was a _________ and his friend was the whole night.
7. The poet asks the reader to give everything, not to dull the drum's noise with a __________.
8. Rumi also believes that a reader should _________, even if they don't mean it at first.
9. What is the game that Rumi and Shams played, according to Barks, which brought them closer together?
(a) Truth or Dare.
10. The poet calls out for his _____'s return and to re-live their union during the course of one of his poems.
11. Rumi asks the reader to make a __________, abhorring spiritual windowshoppers who are not giving fully of themselves.
(a) Blood oath.
12. Lovers have to ________________, but they will find something of infinite value, according to the writing of Rumi.
(a) Fight with each other.
(b) Fall into a hole.
(c) Know the truth.
13. Rumi asks the reader to welcome all __________ in one's life, even the ones which are negative.
14. The poet speaks of being locked in a _________ and of someone who brings him good and forgives him.
15. Rumi stops his list of things which he uses to describe a friend within his poem in order to ______________.
(a) Dance his dance.
(c) Keep a bird from flying away.
Short Answer Questions
1. There is beauty in every meeting or gathering, the presence of _________, of 'the Friend' in one of Rumi's poems.
2. The poet describes _________ appearing at the footsteps of his teacher, in one of his poems in this section.
3. __________ in the presence, at the price of one's life, is a bargain, according to one of the poems of Rumi.
4. The poet has to ask Shams and _________ to help him, since he is partly within himself and partly outside of himself.
5. Rumi speaks of the surrendering to __________ which brings light to all one's flaws, within one of his poems.
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)