|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The _____ in which Joseph sits in darkness at the bottom of is recognized as a visionary place.
2. Rumi gives advice about how to deal with hardship, "The cure for the ______ is in the pain. Good and bad are mixed."
3. ______ was killed on December 5, 1247, after being exiled and returning on several different occasions.
4. Rumi's students saw ______ as a madman and he was eventually forced out of the area.
5. Sufis are loved the world over for reminding us that the glory is our ______ reality and the opposite is a kind of language for expressing it.
6. Rumi notes there is nothing worse than going to ______ without another person, the vague 'you.'
(c) Walk along the street.
7. According to the book, when Rumi realized the greatness of Shams, he fell off his _______ unconscious.
8. Rumi gives a definition for what we are, "You are the strange business. You have the energy of the ______ in you."
9. The poet quotes Muhammad in one of the poems, saying that he will come take a person before _________.
10. Rumi realizes that in all of his searching, he has actually been waiting to be _________ as opposed to brought inside.
(d) Let out.
11. Who is the spiritual leader who is approached in order to see how a person might be coaxed into learning?
12. Rumi's "story gets told in various ways" including all of the following except________. He recommends that others not get too close to him.
(a) A romance.
(b) A dirty joke.
(c) A funeral.
(d) A war.
13. Rumi lived most of his life in ______ Turkey which at the time was a great meeting place for many different cultures.
14. In a poem, Rumi asks the lion of the ________ to roar and rend open the writer, according to the content of the poem.
15. Jelaluddin Rumi was born in the remote town of _______ in what is now Afghanistan.
Short Answer Questions
1. Rumi notes there is only one search in the world: "___________ this world is wandering that..."
2. Rumi uses the metaphor of being sent to do a task by a King, and forgetting in the poem "The _____ Work".
3. Rumi suggests that "sitting in hell at the bottom of the dark, we are afraid of our own ________."
4. Barks reminds the reader about how often ______ is used as a piece of advice for calming one's self.
5. The writer continues to tell the reader to keep working, searching for __________ in the daily practice.
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)