|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The writer continues to tell the reader to keep working, searching for __________ in the daily practice.
2. "Sufis adore the darkness of the deep night, like the blackness of the ______ cloth, when conversation with the divine is easiest."
3. Anger is the main topic that Rumi explores in the poem entitled "A ______ Sky Hates the Moon."
4. Rumi advises the reader to disappear with the _________ each month and to bend like a tree limb.
5. _______ was sold by his brothers into slavery in Egypt , gradually came to power there, and made a complicated trade route.
6. Rumi asks the reader to let their _______ move them, playing music instead of reading as they go along.
7. "______ think they're looking for each other, but there's only one search: wandering the world."
8. Rumi uses the metaphor of being sent to do a task by a King, and forgetting in the poem "The _____ Work".
9. Sufis are loved the world over for reminding us that the glory is our ______ reality and the opposite is a kind of language for expressing it.
10. Rumi encourages the reader to be the __________ nearest the thorn that he is, according to his writing.
11. When Rumi died, he was mourned by members of all of the following religious groups except _______.
12. Rumi sent his son _______ to bring back his exiled companion. He was found playing cards with the future St. Francis of Assisi.
(b) Sultan Balkh.
(d) Sultan Veled.
13. Rumi's poetry can be thought of as a conversation with _______, a discussion of what it is to be together in God.
(a) St. Francis.
14. Since the reed was cut from the bed, it has made a ___________ sound, according to the description by Rumi.
15. Whose table is spread with better food when a person fasts, according to Rumi?
Short Answer Questions
1. Rumi challenges us to "work in the ______ world as hard as we do in the visible" and to "be a companion with the prophets."
2. _________, according to Rumi, will tend to accumulate while the real work is going on elsewhere.
3. The man compares himself to a __________ in the sunrise, saying that he is lost in his lover's reflection.
4. The _____ in which Joseph sits in darkness at the bottom of is recognized as a visionary place.
5. The journey is a practice of ____________, rather than studying or learning with logic from the mind.
This section contains 453 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)