|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Every day, Rumi says, people wake up with _________, but they need to continue to walk their spiritual path.
2. Joseph gives his Egyptian shirt to his ______ to lay over the eyes of Jacob, whose vision is then restored.
3. Rumi relishes things like walking, meditation, and fasting as they help to bring a person into ____________.
(b) The moment.
(c) A new love.
(d) The connection with God.
4. Rumi suggests that people listen to his message with the ear that is in the center of the _______.
5. Rumi points out that while others are laughing and dancing, there are few who will hear the ________ hidden within the notes.
6. ______ means the sun, and Rumi often referred to him in his poetry which he began writing after his friend's death.
7. The story of Joseph focuses on the loss of his _____ of many colors that has false blood on it to convince people of his death.
8. "Sufis adore the darkness of the deep night, like the blackness of the ______ cloth, when conversation with the divine is easiest."
9. The "___" is an illusion, according to Rumi, and this is why this part needs to be removed from the experience.
10. ______ was killed on December 5, 1247, after being exiled and returning on several different occasions.
11. When Rumi regained consciousness, he stated that _______ was the greater because he realized the breadth of God.
12. Rumi instructs us to "consider what the prophets have done. ______ wore fire for an anklet, Moses spoke to the sea."
13. The man compares himself to a __________ in the sunrise, saying that he is lost in his lover's reflection.
14. Rumi doesn't want "wealth and position." He suggests that in this matter he is "______ resisting the most enormous magnet there is."
15. Rumi's mystical work was contained within the patterns of ______ Sufism but the life was witness to the boundless universality of the heart.
Short Answer Questions
1. Rumi asks when seeing the birds flying in frenzied patterns whether the one he _______ is everywhere.
2. Rumi gives a definition for what we are, "You are the strange business. You have the energy of the ______ in you."
3. Rumi notes there is only one search in the world: "___________ this world is wandering that..."
4. Barks reminds the reader about how often ______ is used as a piece of advice for calming one's self.
5. Rumi notes that the miracle of Jesus is ______, not what he did or said about the future, according to the poems.
This section contains 466 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)