|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Those who do not wake to the truth, according to Rumi, are those who do not embrace the beauty of __________.
2. According to the book, when Rumi realized the greatness of Shams, he fell off his _______ unconscious.
3. ______ means the sun, and Rumi often referred to him in his poetry which he began writing after his friend's death.
4. Fullness _______ the soul, while emptiness frees it, according to the writing of Rumi in the poem.
5. "Sufis adore the darkness of the deep night, like the blackness of the ______ cloth, when conversation with the divine is easiest."
6. Sufis are loved the world over for reminding us that the glory is our ______ reality and the opposite is a kind of language for expressing it.
7. Rumi points out that while others are laughing and dancing, there are few who will hear the ________ hidden within the notes.
8. Rumi notes there is nothing worse than going to ______ without another person, the vague 'you.'
(a) Walk along the street.
9. Whose table is spread with better food when a person fasts, according to Rumi?
10. Rumi states that "the human shape is a _______ made of distraction and pain, trying to open the image of itself."
11. Rumi suggests not doing the work God sent you for is "like using a priceless Indian _____ to cut rotten meat."
12. The destination may be unclear for __________ understanding, according to Rumi, but one should walk anyway.
13. Rumi relishes things like walking, meditation, and fasting as they help to bring a person into ____________.
(a) A new love.
(c) The moment.
(d) The connection with God.
14. Rumi uses the metaphor of being sent to do a task by a King, and forgetting in the poem "The _____ Work".
15. Rumi describes the journey a person must make as drinking ______ like water and eating sunset, in his poems.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Rumi died, he was mourned by members of all of the following religious groups except _______.
2. Rumi suggests that people listen to his message with the ear that is in the center of the _______.
3. Every day, Rumi says, people wake up with _________, but they need to continue to walk their spiritual path.
4. Rumi asks the reader to let their _______ move them, playing music instead of reading as they go along.
5. Love is more than an old study of _________, according to the writing of Rumi in this section.
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)