|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Rumi challenges us to "work in the ______ world as hard as we do in the visible" and to "be a companion with the prophets."
(d) Spiritual world.
2. The Egyptian woman that is in love with Joseph is known as _______, clings to his shirt and tears it from his back.
3. "______ think they're looking for each other, but there's only one search: wandering the world."
4. The story of Joseph focuses on the loss of his _____ of many colors that has false blood on it to convince people of his death.
5. Those who do not wake to the truth, according to Rumi, are those who do not embrace the beauty of __________.
6. Rumi urges the reader to let go of the _____, the covering clothes, and to be naked in the world, according to his writing.
7. When Rumi regained consciousness, he stated that _______ was the greater because he realized the breadth of God.
8. Rumi gives advice about how to deal with hardship, "The cure for the ______ is in the pain. Good and bad are mixed."
9. Who is the spiritual leader who is approached in order to see how a person might be coaxed into learning?
10. Rumi's students saw ______ as a madman and he was eventually forced out of the area.
11. Since the reed was cut from the bed, it has made a ___________ sound, according to the description by Rumi.
12. Rumi suggests that people listen to his message with the ear that is in the center of the _______.
13. Rumi met his companion Shams of _______ , described as a "street boddhisattva", in the marketplace.
14. From talking to a ______ to eating cabbage broth, Rumi says that the tasks of everyday life bring a person into a spiritual realm.
15. The destination may be unclear for __________ understanding, according to Rumi, but one should walk anyway.
Short Answer Questions
1. Rumi suggests not doing the work God sent you for is "like using a priceless Indian _____ to cut rotten meat."
2. Rumi states "This _____ began in some other tavern. When I get back around to that place I will be completely sober."
3. ______ means the sun, and Rumi often referred to him in his poetry which he began writing after his friend's death.
4. Barks reminds the reader about how often ______ is used as a piece of advice for calming one's self.
5. Rumi notes there is only one search in the world: "___________ this world is wandering that..."
This section contains 466 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)