|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. ______ means the sun, and Rumi often referred to him in his poetry which he began writing after his friend's death.
2. Rumi describes paying attention to the breath and letting go of the _______ with outward breaths.
3. Rumi describes a ______ that wakes up one day to discover that he is "the entire vineyard, and the orchard too."
4. Rumi asserts in his poems that "the miracle of ______ is himself, not what he said or did about the future."
5. In the poem "The Prophets" the people wonder "How long should we keep pounding this cold _____?"
6. Rumi describes the journey a person must make as drinking ______ like water and eating sunset, in his poems.
7. Shams asks Rumi who is greater, Muhammad the messenger of God, or ______ a mystic who claimed to be one with God.
8. Fullness _______ the soul, while emptiness frees it, according to the writing of Rumi in the poem.
9. Rumi compares daily spiritual practice to continuing to knock at a ___________ to eventually contact the joy inside.
10. In a poem, Rumi asks the lion of the ________ to roar and rend open the writer, according to the content of the poem.
11. The Egyptian woman that is in love with Joseph is known as _______, clings to his shirt and tears it from his back.
12. According to the book, Rumi lived by the idea that _______ is the religion instead of being tied to a particular paradigm.
13. "Sufis adore the darkness of the deep night, like the blackness of the ______ cloth, when conversation with the divine is easiest."
14. Rumi states, in "The Prophets" no one knows if the _______ will sink or reach the harbor.
15. The pull of love is something Rumi compares to a ________, urging the reader to realize learning is about more than just books.
Short Answer Questions
1. Rumi advises the reader to disappear with the _________ each month and to bend like a tree limb.
2. Rumi asks the reader to let their _______ move them, playing music instead of reading as they go along.
3. A baby __________ hears a whistling and is thus driven to fly into the sky, according to Rumi.
4. Since the reed was cut from the bed, it has made a ___________ sound, according to the description by Rumi.
5. From talking to a ______ to eating cabbage broth, Rumi says that the tasks of everyday life bring a person into a spiritual realm.
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)