|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Rumi suggests not doing the work God sent you for is "like using a priceless Indian _____ to cut rotten meat."
2. Rumi instructs us to "consider what the prophets have done. ______ wore fire for an anklet, Moses spoke to the sea."
3. Rumi states "This _____ began in some other tavern. When I get back around to that place I will be completely sober."
4. Rumi describes the journey a person must make as drinking ______ like water and eating sunset, in his poems.
5. Rumi notes there is only one search in the world: "___________ this world is wandering that..."
6. The man compares himself to a __________ in the sunrise, saying that he is lost in his lover's reflection.
7. Rumi refers to the field that develops between the formless source and form ______ a personified image.
(a) The daughter.
(b) The friend.
(c) The father.
(d) The mother.
8. Who is the spiritual leader who is approached in order to see how a person might be coaxed into learning?
9. The poet quotes Muhammad in one of the poems, saying that he will come take a person before _________.
10. In one of the poems, ______ cuts open a fish and discovers a gold ring. Omar storms in to kill the prophet.
11. _______ was sold by his brothers into slavery in Egypt , gradually came to power there, and made a complicated trade route.
12. Rumi doesn't want "wealth and position." He suggests that in this matter he is "______ resisting the most enormous magnet there is."
13. When a man is approached by a person who wants to bring his reluctant cousin to a spiritual leader, what is used to convince the cousin?
(a) Fish soup.
(b) A promise for truth.
14. The destination may be unclear for __________ understanding, according to Rumi, but one should walk anyway.
15. The Egyptian woman that is in love with Joseph is known as _______, clings to his shirt and tears it from his back.
Short Answer Questions
1. Rumi realizes that in all of his searching, he has actually been waiting to be _________ as opposed to brought inside.
2. The "___" is an illusion, according to Rumi, and this is why this part needs to be removed from the experience.
3. _________, according to Rumi, will tend to accumulate while the real work is going on elsewhere.
4. When Rumi regained consciousness, he stated that _______ was the greater because he realized the breadth of God.
5. The story of Joseph focuses on the loss of his _____ of many colors that has false blood on it to convince people of his death.
This section contains 477 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)