|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Not doing the work God sent you for is the equivalent of "using a _____ bowl to cook turnips in.
2. Love is more than an old study of _________, according to the writing of Rumi in this section.
3. Rumi realizes that in all of his searching, he has actually been waiting to be _________ as opposed to brought inside.
(a) Let out.
4. Rumi lived most of his life in ______ Turkey which at the time was a great meeting place for many different cultures.
5. _________, according to Rumi, will tend to accumulate while the real work is going on elsewhere.
6. ______ was killed on December 5, 1247, after being exiled and returning on several different occasions.
7. "Sufis adore the darkness of the deep night, like the blackness of the ______ cloth, when conversation with the divine is easiest."
8. Who is the spiritual leader who is approached in order to see how a person might be coaxed into learning?
9. Rumi suggests that people listen to his message with the ear that is in the center of the _______.
10. The poet notes that he is nothing, not from an origin story, not body or __________, according to the writing.
11. The Egyptian woman that is in love with Joseph is known as _______, clings to his shirt and tears it from his back.
12. Rumi states that "the human shape is a _______ made of distraction and pain, trying to open the image of itself."
13. Rumi suggests that human beings are like "some weird kind of ______ that wants to stay melted in the furnace."
14. Rumi believes humans have an inherent instinct to be on a ___________, just a a bird is driven to fly.
15. From talking to a ______ to eating cabbage broth, Rumi says that the tasks of everyday life bring a person into a spiritual realm.
Short Answer Questions
1. When a man is approached by a person who wants to bring his reluctant cousin to a spiritual leader, what is used to convince the cousin?
2. The writer continues to tell the reader to keep working, searching for __________ in the daily practice.
3. The story of Joseph focuses on the loss of his _____ of many colors that has false blood on it to convince people of his death.
4. Rumi notes there is only one search in the world: "___________ this world is wandering that..."
5. Rumi relishes things like walking, meditation, and fasting as they help to bring a person into ____________.
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)