|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Rumi realizes that in all of his searching, he has actually been waiting to be _________ as opposed to brought inside.
(a) Let out.
2. When a man is approached by a person who wants to bring his reluctant cousin to a spiritual leader, what is used to convince the cousin?
(a) A promise for truth.
(d) Fish soup.
3. ______ was killed on December 5, 1247, after being exiled and returning on several different occasions.
4. Jelaluddin Rumi was born in the remote town of _______ in what is now Afghanistan.
5. _______ was sold by his brothers into slavery in Egypt , gradually came to power there, and made a complicated trade route.
6. Rumi advises the reader to disappear with the _________ each month and to bend like a tree limb.
7. Rumi suggests that people listen to his message with the ear that is in the center of the _______.
8. Since the reed was cut from the bed, it has made a ___________ sound, according to the description by Rumi.
9. Rumi suggests "My _____ is from elsewhere. Whoever brought me here will have to take me home."
10. Rumi describes a ______ that wakes up one day to discover that he is "the entire vineyard, and the orchard too."
11. ______ means the sun, and Rumi often referred to him in his poetry which he began writing after his friend's death.
12. The Egyptian woman that is in love with Joseph is known as _______, clings to his shirt and tears it from his back.
13. The _____ in which Joseph sits in darkness at the bottom of is recognized as a visionary place.
14. The pull of love is something Rumi compares to a ________, urging the reader to realize learning is about more than just books.
15. "Sufis adore the darkness of the deep night, like the blackness of the ______ cloth, when conversation with the divine is easiest."
Short Answer Questions
1. The "___" is an illusion, according to Rumi, and this is why this part needs to be removed from the experience.
2. _________, according to Rumi, will tend to accumulate while the real work is going on elsewhere.
3. Rumi sent his son _______ to bring back his exiled companion. He was found playing cards with the future St. Francis of Assisi.
4. Rumi suggests that "sitting in hell at the bottom of the dark, we are afraid of our own ________."
5. According to the book, Rumi lived by the idea that _______ is the religion instead of being tied to a particular paradigm.
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)