|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Rumi was able to take all the usual existential issues that human beings face on a daily basis and change them to ______.
2. Sufis are loved the world over for reminding us that the glory is our ______ reality and the opposite is a kind of language for expressing it.
3. Rumi describes the journey a person must make as drinking ______ like water and eating sunset, in his poems.
4. Rumi states that "the human shape is a _______ made of distraction and pain, trying to open the image of itself."
5. The pull of love is something Rumi compares to a ________, urging the reader to realize learning is about more than just books.
6. ______ was killed on December 5, 1247, after being exiled and returning on several different occasions.
7. Rumi describes a ______ that wakes up one day to discover that he is "the entire vineyard, and the orchard too."
8. _________, according to Rumi, will tend to accumulate while the real work is going on elsewhere.
9. The "___" is an illusion, according to Rumi, and this is why this part needs to be removed from the experience.
10. Rumi asserts in his poems that "the miracle of ______ is himself, not what he said or did about the future."
11. Rumi uses the metaphor of being sent to do a task by a King, and forgetting in the poem "The _____ Work".
12. Shams asks Rumi who is greater, Muhammad the messenger of God, or ______ a mystic who claimed to be one with God.
13. _______ was sold by his brothers into slavery in Egypt , gradually came to power there, and made a complicated trade route.
14. Not doing the work God sent you for is the equivalent of "using a _____ bowl to cook turnips in.
15. Rumi challenges us to "work in the ______ world as hard as we do in the visible" and to "be a companion with the prophets."
(b) Spiritual world.
Short Answer Questions
1. Rumi lived most of his life in ______ Turkey which at the time was a great meeting place for many different cultures.
2. Joseph gives his Egyptian shirt to his ______ to lay over the eyes of Jacob, whose vision is then restored.
3. The poet quotes Muhammad in one of the poems, saying that he will come take a person before _________.
4. Rumi suggests that human beings are like "some weird kind of ______ that wants to stay melted in the furnace."
5. Whose table is spread with better food when a person fasts, according to Rumi?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)