|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Rumi slipped back into what ______ the Greek called the whole catastrophe as a living example of another possibility for life.
2. Since the reed was cut from the bed, it has made a ___________ sound, according to the description by Rumi.
3. Sufis are loved the world over for reminding us that the glory is our ______ reality and the opposite is a kind of language for expressing it.
4. Rumi suggests "My _____ is from elsewhere. Whoever brought me here will have to take me home."
5. According to the book, Rumi lived by the idea that _______ is the religion instead of being tied to a particular paradigm.
6. Rumi states, in "The Prophets" no one knows if the _______ will sink or reach the harbor.
7. The writer continues to tell the reader to keep working, searching for __________ in the daily practice.
8. When Rumi regained consciousness, he stated that _______ was the greater because he realized the breadth of God.
9. Rumi encourages the reader to be the __________ nearest the thorn that he is, according to his writing.
10. Rumi instructs us to "consider what the prophets have done. ______ wore fire for an anklet, Moses spoke to the sea."
11. Rumi challenges us to "work in the ______ world as hard as we do in the visible" and to "be a companion with the prophets."
(b) Spiritual world.
12. Rumi asks the reader to let their _______ move them, playing music instead of reading as they go along.
13. Who is the spiritual leader who is approached in order to see how a person might be coaxed into learning?
14. In one of the poems Rumi states, "We are charlatans... or maybe just a ______ hair brush in a painter's hand."
15. Rumi doesn't want "wealth and position." He suggests that in this matter he is "______ resisting the most enormous magnet there is."
Short Answer Questions
1. Rumi notes there is nothing worse than going to ______ without another person, the vague 'you.'
2. The destination may be unclear for __________ understanding, according to Rumi, but one should walk anyway.
3. When Rumi died, he was mourned by members of all of the following religious groups except _______.
4. The poet quotes Muhammad in one of the poems, saying that he will come take a person before _________.
5. Rumi suggests that people listen to his message with the ear that is in the center of the _______.
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)