|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the poem, "Give ______ slowly" Rumi uses the new moon as a metaphor for patients and slowness in creation.
2. Rumi advises the reader to disappear with the _________ each month and to bend like a tree limb.
3. Rumi asks when seeing the birds flying in frenzied patterns whether the one he _______ is everywhere.
4. Rumi suggests that people listen to his message with the ear that is in the center of the _______.
5. The _________ represents the imagination where the spiritual journey takes place, according to Rumi.
6. Rumi believes humans have an inherent instinct to be on a ___________, just a a bird is driven to fly.
7. "Sufis adore the darkness of the deep night, like the blackness of the ______ cloth, when conversation with the divine is easiest."
8. Rumi suggests not doing the work God sent you for is "like using a priceless Indian _____ to cut rotten meat."
9. From talking to a ______ to eating cabbage broth, Rumi says that the tasks of everyday life bring a person into a spiritual realm.
10. Rumi refers to the field that develops between the formless source and form ______ a personified image.
(a) The mother.
(b) The father.
(c) The daughter.
(d) The friend.
11. Rumi states, in "The Prophets" no one knows if the _______ will sink or reach the harbor.
12. "______ think they're looking for each other, but there's only one search: wandering the world."
13. Rumi instructs us to "consider what the prophets have done. ______ wore fire for an anklet, Moses spoke to the sea."
14. Rumi notes that the miracle of Jesus is ______, not what he did or said about the future, according to the poems.
15. Rumi urges the reader to let go of the _____, the covering clothes, and to be naked in the world, according to his writing.
Short Answer Questions
1. When a man is approached by a person who wants to bring his reluctant cousin to a spiritual leader, what is used to convince the cousin?
2. Rumi was able to take all the usual existential issues that human beings face on a daily basis and change them to ______.
3. A baby __________ hears a whistling and is thus driven to fly into the sky, according to Rumi.
4. Not doing the work God sent you to do is like "pounding a _____ of the finest tempering to hang things on."
5. Since the reed was cut from the bed, it has made a ___________ sound, according to the description by Rumi.
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)