|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Rumi describes paying attention to the breath and letting go of the _______ with outward breaths.
2. In the poem "The Prophets" the people wonder "How long should we keep pounding this cold _____?"
3. Not doing the work God sent you for is the equivalent of "using a _____ bowl to cook turnips in.
4. The "___" is an illusion, according to Rumi, and this is why this part needs to be removed from the experience.
5. _______ was sold by his brothers into slavery in Egypt , gradually came to power there, and made a complicated trade route.
6. Rumi's mystical work was contained within the patterns of ______ Sufism but the life was witness to the boundless universality of the heart.
7. Every day, Rumi says, people wake up with _________, but they need to continue to walk their spiritual path.
8. In one poem, Rumi begins to describe two lovers who are ___________ and drinking water.
9. The _________ represents the imagination where the spiritual journey takes place, according to Rumi.
10. The man compares himself to a __________ in the sunrise, saying that he is lost in his lover's reflection.
11. Rumi relishes things like walking, meditation, and fasting as they help to bring a person into ____________.
(a) A new love.
(c) The connection with God.
(d) The moment.
12. The Egyptian woman that is in love with Joseph is known as _______, clings to his shirt and tears it from his back.
13. Rumi asks the reader to let their _______ move them, playing music instead of reading as they go along.
14. When Rumi died, he was mourned by members of all of the following religious groups except _______.
15. Barks reminds the reader about how often ______ is used as a piece of advice for calming one's self.
Short Answer Questions
1. Rumi asks when seeing the birds flying in frenzied patterns whether the one he _______ is everywhere.
2. Rumi gives a definition for what we are, "You are the strange business. You have the energy of the ______ in you."
3. The poet quotes Muhammad in one of the poems, saying that he will come take a person before _________.
4. Rumi suggests not doing the work God sent you for is "like using a priceless Indian _____ to cut rotten meat."
5. Sufis are loved the world over for reminding us that the glory is our ______ reality and the opposite is a kind of language for expressing it.
This section contains 452 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)