|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Rumi asks the reader to let their _______ move them, playing music instead of reading as they go along.
2. The writer continues to tell the reader to keep working, searching for __________ in the daily practice.
3. Who is the spiritual leader who is approached in order to see how a person might be coaxed into learning?
4. The _____ in which Joseph sits in darkness at the bottom of is recognized as a visionary place.
5. Rumi slipped back into what ______ the Greek called the whole catastrophe as a living example of another possibility for life.
6. Rumi encourages the reader to be the __________ nearest the thorn that he is, according to his writing.
7. Joseph gives his Egyptian shirt to his ______ to lay over the eyes of Jacob, whose vision is then restored.
8. When Rumi regained consciousness, he stated that _______ was the greater because he realized the breadth of God.
9. The journey is a practice of ____________, rather than studying or learning with logic from the mind.
10. Rumi compares daily spiritual practice to continuing to knock at a ___________ to eventually contact the joy inside.
11. ______ was killed on December 5, 1247, after being exiled and returning on several different occasions.
12. Rumi relishes things like walking, meditation, and fasting as they help to bring a person into ____________.
(a) The connection with God.
(b) A new love.
(d) The moment.
13. Rumi suggests that people listen to his message with the ear that is in the center of the _______.
14. Rumi describes a ______ that wakes up one day to discover that he is "the entire vineyard, and the orchard too."
15. Rumi's students saw ______ as a madman and he was eventually forced out of the area.
Short Answer Questions
1. Rumi suggests that human beings are like "some weird kind of ______ that wants to stay melted in the furnace."
2. Not doing the work God sent you for is the equivalent of "using a _____ bowl to cook turnips in.
3. Rumi states, in "The Prophets" no one knows if the _______ will sink or reach the harbor.
4. Fullness _______ the soul, while emptiness frees it, according to the writing of Rumi in the poem.
5. Since the reed was cut from the bed, it has made a ___________ sound, according to the description by Rumi.
This section contains 434 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)