|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. "Sufis adore the darkness of the deep night, like the blackness of the ______ cloth, when conversation with the divine is easiest."
2. In one poem, Rumi begins to describe two lovers who are ___________ and drinking water.
3. Barks reminds the reader about how often ______ is used as a piece of advice for calming one's self.
4. According to the book, when Rumi realized the greatness of Shams, he fell off his _______ unconscious.
5. Rumi states, in "The Prophets" no one knows if the _______ will sink or reach the harbor.
6. Rumi was able to take all the usual existential issues that human beings face on a daily basis and change them to ______.
7. When Rumi regained consciousness, he stated that _______ was the greater because he realized the breadth of God.
8. In a poem, Rumi asks the lion of the ________ to roar and rend open the writer, according to the content of the poem.
9. Rumi compares daily spiritual practice to continuing to knock at a ___________ to eventually contact the joy inside.
10. The journey is a practice of ____________, rather than studying or learning with logic from the mind.
11. Rumi doesn't want "wealth and position." He suggests that in this matter he is "______ resisting the most enormous magnet there is."
12. Rumi gives advice about how to deal with hardship, "The cure for the ______ is in the pain. Good and bad are mixed."
13. Since the reed was cut from the bed, it has made a ___________ sound, according to the description by Rumi.
14. Rumi asserts in his poems that "the miracle of ______ is himself, not what he said or did about the future."
15. Rumi sent his son _______ to bring back his exiled companion. He was found playing cards with the future St. Francis of Assisi.
(c) Sultan Veled.
(d) Sultan Balkh.
Short Answer Questions
1. Rumi's "story gets told in various ways" including all of the following except________. He recommends that others not get too close to him.
2. Rumi describes paying attention to the breath and letting go of the _______ with outward breaths.
3. Joseph gives his Egyptian shirt to his ______ to lay over the eyes of Jacob, whose vision is then restored.
4. Rumi relishes things like walking, meditation, and fasting as they help to bring a person into ____________.
5. _______ was sold by his brothers into slavery in Egypt , gradually came to power there, and made a complicated trade route.
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)