|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Covenant feeling after refusing Elena's sexual advances?
2. What does Covenant wish to say to Bannor?
3. Why does Elena say there is nothing Covenant can take from her?
4. What does Covenant feel justified in doing?
5. What is the reason Covenant refuses to believe in the land?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Troy feel about Elena and where does he decide to go?
2. How does Covenant feel after refusing Elena's sexual advances?
3. What does Tull tell about the giants' home?
4. What is Troy's strategy for his army at the opening of Chapter 19?
5. Why does Troy wonder if he will ever sleep again?
6. What happens as Troy begins to walk in what he thinks is the correct direction to find his men?
7. What does Troy think about as he begins his ride to war?
8. How do Covenant and Elena finally learn the name of the Seventh Ward?
9. What happens between Covenant and Elena when Elena comes out of the river after bathing?
10. What does Troy do when he notices a shimmering during the Council meeting in Loresraat?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in The Illearth War. Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Donaldson chooses the symbols he does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Donaldson chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss Donaldson's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, clifthangers, deux ex machina, etc...), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Donaldson use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of The Illearth War, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements in The Illearth War. (The subplots may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
This section contains 1,124 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)