Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Troy feel concerning Elena?
2. What helps Covenant answer Amok's question?
3. Who had Trell's wife been summoning when she is killed?
4. What does Elena reveal about High Lord Kevin to Covenant?
5. Who helps Troy?
Often, authors will write about "what they know," and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Stephen R. Donaldson.
2. What in Donaldson's background may have helped him in writing The Illearth War? What may have influenced the way he depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
There are a number of interesting questions raised by The Illearth War. Questions that Donaldson most likely want readers to consider and think through carefully. Discuss the following:
1. What does the term "author agenda" mean?
2. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of the Donaldson' agenda. Analyze that idea throughout the book and discuss Donaldson' probable agenda concerning that idea.
2. Do you think writers who have an agenda for writing should point it out in a preface?
3. How often do you think fiction is written with a clear agenda in mind by the author?
4. Research the life of Donaldson and see if/where his life may have influenced his writing.
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in The Illearth War. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of courage in The Illearth War. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of corruption in The Illearth War. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)