|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What helps Covenant answer Amok's question?
2. What does Caerroil Wildwood do as Fleshharrow's army gets deep inside Garroting Deep?
3. Why can't the travelers touch the water of the lake?
4. Why does Troy think it is night when he wakes?
5. Who is killed while saving Covenant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in The Illearth War.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of The Illearth War. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of The Illearth War. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 2
There are a number of interesting questions raised by The Illearth War. Questions that Donaldson most likely want readers to consider and think through carefully. Discuss the following:
1. What does the term "author agenda" mean?
2. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of the Donaldson' agenda. Analyze that idea throughout the book and discuss Donaldson' probable agenda concerning that idea.
2. Do you think writers who have an agenda for writing should point it out in a preface?
3. How often do you think fiction is written with a clear agenda in mind by the author?
4. Research the life of Donaldson and see if/where his life may have influenced his writing.
Essay Topic 3
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Thomas Covenant and Hile Troy. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Thomas Covenant and Elena. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in The Illearth War help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
This section contains 2,312 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)