|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mhoram see coming up the river in the middle of Garroting Deep?
2. Why does Troy think it is night when he wakes?
3. What do the Lords have to know in order to get information from Kevin's proxy?
4. What does Elan sculpt?
5. Who surrounds Troy when he starts to walk?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Troy feel about Elena and where does he decide to go?
2. Who does Elena choose for the trip with Amok and how does Troy react?
3. What is Covenant thinking about concerning the land as they are traveling?
4. What happens between Covenant and Elena when Elena comes out of the river after bathing?
5. What does Tull tell about the giants' home?
6. How is Troy rendered unconscious?
7. Where is Troy marching his men and what does he try to convince them to believe?
8. What does Amok explain to the Council?
9. What does Troy do when he notices a shimmering during the Council meeting in Loresraat?
10. Why does Troy wonder if he will ever sleep again?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in The Illearth War. Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Donaldson chooses the symbols he does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Donaldson chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss Donaldson's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, clifthangers, deux ex machina, etc...), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Donaldson use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss The Illearth War based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if The Illearth War is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider The Illearth War a successful novel? What about young teens?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in The Illearth War. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of courage in The Illearth War. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of corruption in The Illearth War. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
This section contains 1,116 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)