|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose words is Covenant thinking about concerning the Land?
2. Who surrounds Troy when he starts to walk?
3. How does Mhoram do before summoning Caerroil Wildwood?
4. Who does Elena choose to go with her?
5. What bargain does Covenant make with himself?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Covenant feel after refusing Elena's sexual advances?
2. What happens as Troy begins to walk in what he thinks is the correct direction to find his men?
3. What is Troy's strategy for his army at the opening of Chapter 19?
4. Who does Elena choose for the trip with Amok and how does Troy react?
5. How is Troy rendered unconscious?
6. How do Covenant and Elena finally learn the name of the Seventh Ward?
7. What does Tull tell about the giants' home?
8. What does Amok explain to the Council?
9. What is Covenant thinking about concerning the land as they are traveling?
10. What is Caerroil Wildwood's agreement with Troy and who objects?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the world of academe, fantasy fiction is often considered an inferior form of the novel compared to "classic" literature. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think fantasy fiction might be considered second-rate compared to the classics?
2. Do you think fantasy fiction has the same elements as the classics? Why or why not?
3. What are the purposes do you think for people reading "the classics"? What are the purposes for people reading fantasy fiction? Is one purpose better than another? Explain your response.
4. Would you read fantasy fiction even outside an educational setting? Why or why not
Essay Topic 2
The Illearth War is one book in a series of novels involving Thomas Covenant. Discuss the following.
1. What are two advantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Illustrate your statements with details from the text.
2. What is a disadvantage of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Illustrate your statements with details from the text.
3. Do you prefer to read a standalone book, or a series of books with the same main characters? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 3
The Illearth War belongs to the fantasy genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the fantasy genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a fantasy and a historical novel mystery?
This section contains 983 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)