|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mhoram do before summoning Caerroil Wildwood?
2. What does Elena think of the Seventh Ward of Kevin?
3. What does Caerroil Wildwood do as Fleshharrow's army gets deep inside Garroting Deep?
4. What does Elena do when she comes out of the river after bathing?
5. What is Trell doing at his wife's grave?
Short Essay Questions
1. To what does Amok agree and why does Elena want to go with Amok?
2. What happens as Troy begins to walk in what he thinks is the correct direction to find his men?
3. What does Amok say about white gold and what is Covenant's thoughts on the matter?
4. How is Troy rendered unconscious?
5. What does Tull tell about the giants' home?
6. What does Amok explain to the Council?
7. How do Covenant and Elena finally learn the name of the Seventh Ward?
8. What does Troy think about as he begins his ride to war?
9. What is Covenant thinking about concerning the land as they are traveling?
10. What is Troy's strategy for his army at the opening of Chapter 19?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Characters are an important part of what makes The Illearth War interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Thomas Covenant. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Elena. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Hile Troy. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of The Illearth War, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements in The Illearth War. (The subplots may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Most protagonists are a mixture of admirable traits and character flaws, and Thomas Covenant is no exception.
1. Trace and analyze situations when Covenant demonstrates his admirable traits. Give specific examples to illustrate your analysis.
2. Trace and analyze Covenant's character flaws, and explain how the flaws create more complex and believable characters. How do you think either man's character flaws make some situations more difficult for him?
3. After analyzing Covenant's strengths and weaknesses, decide if Covenant is an appropriate "hero" of the story. Is there anyone else who might be a more admirable "hero"?
4. Answer the above questions for one other person you think could be considered a hero in The Illearth War.
This section contains 1,124 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)