|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Covenant think of Elena's opinion of Kevin?
2. Why does Troy think it is night when he wakes?
3. What does Elena do when she comes out of the river after bathing?
4. What does Covenant realize about the Bloodguard?
5. How is Covenant feeling after refusing Elena's sexual advances?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens as Troy begins to walk in what he thinks is the correct direction to find his men?
2. To what does Amok agree and why does Elena want to go with Amok?
3. Who does Elena choose for the trip with Amok and how does Troy react?
4. How does Troy feel about Elena and where does he decide to go?
5. What does Troy do when he notices a shimmering during the Council meeting in Loresraat?
6. What does Elena believe about High Lord Kevin and what is Covenant's opinion about what she says?
7. What is Covenant thinking about concerning the land as they are traveling?
8. What does Troy think about as he begins his ride to war?
9. How is Troy rendered unconscious?
10. What does Troy admit to himself about Garroting Deep and who does Mhoram summon as the enter the wood?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The Illearth War is one book in a series of novels involving Thomas Covenant. Discuss the following.
1. What are two advantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Illustrate your statements with details from the text.
2. What is a disadvantage of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Illustrate your statements with details from the text.
3. Do you prefer to read a standalone book, or a series of books with the same main characters? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss The Illearth War based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if The Illearth War is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider The Illearth War a successful novel? What about young teens?
This section contains 1,002 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)