|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the persons coming up the river go?
2. Who had Trell's wife been summoning when she is killed?
3. What does Elena tell her that her mother did not teach her?
4. Who tries to dissuade Elena from going after the Seventh Ward?
5. Where does Troy decide to visit?
Essay Topic 1
1. What is foreshadow? How many incidences of foreshadow are in The Illearth War? How does foreshadow contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadow in The Illearth War including why you believe it is foreshadow. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from The Illearth War and your own live to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in The Illearth War.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of The Illearth War. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of The Illearth War. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of The Illearth War, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements in The Illearth War. (The subplots may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
This section contains 2,313 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)