|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What new information does Amok reveal to Covenant about white gold?
2. What is Troy's army doing at the opening to Chapter 19?
3. What is the reason Covenant refuses to believe in the land?
4. What does Caerroil Wildwood do as Fleshharrow's army gets deep inside Garroting Deep?
5. What does Covenant feel justified in doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to one of the Ranyhyn and what does Elena do?
2. Who does Elena choose for the trip with Amok and how does Troy react?
3. How does Covenant feel after refusing Elena's sexual advances?
4. What happens between Covenant and Elena when Elena comes out of the river after bathing?
5. Why does Troy wonder if he will ever sleep again?
6. What does Tull tell about the giants' home?
7. To what does Amok agree and why does Elena want to go with Amok?
8. What information is the Council finally able to coax out of Amok, and what do some of the Council members think about what they learn?
9. Why does Troy think it is night when he wakes from unconsciousness?
10. How do Covenant and Elena finally learn the name of the Seventh Ward?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Illearth War belongs to the fantasy genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the fantasy genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a fantasy and a historical novel mystery?
Essay Topic 2
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Thomas Covenant and Hile Troy. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Thomas Covenant and Elena. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in The Illearth War help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
Essay Topic 3
Characters are an important part of what makes The Illearth War interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Thomas Covenant. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Elena. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Hile Troy. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
This section contains 1,204 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)