Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Troy feel concerning Elena?
2. What helps Covenant answer Amok's question?
3. Who had Trell's wife been summoning when she is killed?
4. What does Elena reveal about High Lord Kevin to Covenant?
5. Who helps Troy?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in The Illearth War. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of courage in The Illearth War. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of corruption in The Illearth War. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
Essay Topic 2
1. What is foreshadow? How many incidences of foreshadow are in The Illearth War? How does foreshadow contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadow in The Illearth War including why you believe it is foreshadow. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from The Illearth War and your own live to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Thomas Covenant and Hile Troy. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Thomas Covenant and Elena. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in The Illearth War help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
This section contains 431 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)