|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What games do Aglaya's sisters report that she played with her visitor?
2. Why does General Ivolgin say he is leaving Lebedev's house?
3. Does Myshkin believe Lebedev's story about finding the money?
4. What happens to General Ivolgin?
5. What does Hippolite mention seeing in a dream?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Myshkin feel, when he gets to Madam Yephanchin and is sitting at the table with Aglaya and the other guests?
2. What does Madam Yephanchin think about, as she brings Myshkin to her house?
3. What does Madam Yephanchin feel about her daughter's relationship with Myshkin?
4. What happens when Hippolite tries to kill himself?
5. How does Myshkin learn that Nastassya is in town?
6. How does Myshkin treat Rogozhin, after Rogozhin tried to kill him?
7. What does Aglaya say to Myshkin, after her proposal to him?
8. Why does Hippolite want to kill himself?
9. How does Myshkin contradict what Aglaya has told him about Ganja?
10. What are Agalya's plans for herself and Myshkin when she first meets him in the park?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role that money plays in the novel.
1) How does Myshkin's life and position change when he has money? How do others view him when he has money, versus when he doesn't have money?
2) Why does Rogozhin offer Nastassya increasing amounts of money to marry him? Why does Nastassya throw Rogozhin's money into the fire?
3) How do the other characters in the novel view money? Why is money important to Ganja? How does Madam Yephanchin feel about money?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of family in the characters' lives.
1) How do the characters' families and social positions affect their lives? How do family relationships affect how the characters are accepted by society?
2) How does it affect Nastassya that her parents are killed when she is young? How do the characters' upbringings affect their personalities and attitudes?
3) How do the characters' families try to influence the characters' lives and decisions? What forces do families use to influence family members' behavior.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the expectations that characters put on others in the novel.
1) What do the members of society expect Myshkin to be like? How do they treat Myshkin when he does not meet their expectations?
2) What do the characters expect of their friends and family members in the novel? What do Aglyana's parents expect of her, and how do their expectations shape her behavior? What does Nastassya's guardian expect from her, and how do his expectations shape her behavior?
3) What does Myshkin expect from others in the novel?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)