|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Hippolite plan to kill himself?
2. How does the party react when Vera says Hippolite is going to kill himself?
3. What does Nastassya ask Myshkin?
4. When Hippolite wakes at Myshkin's celebration, how long does a party member say he's been asleep?
5. What is Radomsky's former profession?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Burdovsky feel he is owed something from Myshkin?
2. How does Myshkin treat Rogozhin, after Rogozhin tried to kill him?
3. What does Aglaya say to Myshkin, after her proposal to him?
4. What does Madam Yephanchin think about, as she brings Myshkin to her house?
5. How do the guests at the Yephanchins' react to Myshkin's response to Radomsky's political views?
6. What is Ganja's attitude toward his father?
7. How does Madam Yephanchin react, after Burdovsky and his companions object to the information Ganja reveals about Burdovsky?
8. How does Myshkin contradict what Aglaya has told him about Ganja?
9. How does Aglaya react to winning and losing at games?
10. What does Madam Yephanchin feel about her daughter's relationship with Myshkin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role that money plays in the novel.
1) How does Myshkin's life and position change when he has money? How do others view him when he has money, versus when he doesn't have money?
2) Why does Rogozhin offer Nastassya increasing amounts of money to marry him? Why does Nastassya throw Rogozhin's money into the fire?
3) How do the other characters in the novel view money? Why is money important to Ganja? How does Madam Yephanchin feel about money?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss beauty and women in the novel.
1) How do the characters treat beautiful women differently from women who are not beautiful, or who are less beautiful? How is beauty valued in the society and by Myshkin?
2) Why is Nastassya introduced to Myshkin first by a picture? What does Myshkin know about Nastassya, based on her picture? How does Nastassya's beauty affect her life and her character?
3) How does Aglaya's beauty affect her life and her character? Does it change her personality? How would her life be different if she were not beautiful?
Essay Topic 3
In the society depicted in the novel, marriage is an important institution. The characters try to arrange marriages for themselves and for others. Discuss marriage in the novel.
1) How do the characters choose who they want to marry? How does Myshkin decide first to marry Aglaya and then Nastassya? How does Nastassya determine to marry Myshkin, and then run off with Rogozhin?
2) How do family members influence marriage? How do Aglaya's parents think of their daughter's marriage? What influence do they have on her marriage?
3) How does society view marriage? What relation does money and social position have to marriage? Does society influence the marriage choices that the characters make?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)