|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote the note that Varya finds on Ganja's desk?
2. What does Hippolite do when Myshkin tells him to stop reading?
3. Why does General Ivolgin say he is leaving Lebedev's house?
4. How does Myshkin feel when he leaves the Yephanchin house at the end of Part IV, Chapter V?
5. Who does Madam Yephanchin wonder if Aglaya is seriously interested in, at the beginning of Part III?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Myshkin contradict what Aglaya has told him about Ganja?
2. What does Madam Yephanchin think about, as she brings Myshkin to her house?
3. Why does Hippolite want to kill himself?
4. What does Myskhin's view of dueling seem to be?
5. How does General Ivolgin act when he talks to Myshkin after his argument with Lebedev?
6. Why does Burdovsky feel he is owed something from Myshkin?
7. How does Myshkin feel, when he gets to Madam Yephanchin and is sitting at the table with Aglaya and the other guests?
8. What does Ganja report about Burdovsky's relationship with Pavlishtchev?
9. How does Myshkin answer Nastassya's question to him, and what is Rogozhin's response?
10. How does Aglaya react to winning and losing at games?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The novel centers around the characters' love relationships. Discuss love in the novel.
1) What causes characters to fall in love with each other in the novel? How can the characters, and the reader, distinguish between true love and different kinds of attraction in the novel?
2) What role does jealousy play in the characters' love relationships? What role does the characters' ideas of their self-worth play in their attraction to others?
3) What role does social position and money play in the characters' love relationships?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the expectations that characters put on others in the novel.
1) What do the members of society expect Myshkin to be like? How do they treat Myshkin when he does not meet their expectations?
2) What do the characters expect of their friends and family members in the novel? What do Aglyana's parents expect of her, and how do their expectations shape her behavior? What does Nastassya's guardian expect from her, and how do his expectations shape her behavior?
3) What does Myshkin expect from others in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Myshkin and Rogozhin are the two main male characters in the novel, and they are contrasted in many ways. Discuss the similarities and differences between Rogozhin and Myshkin.
1) How are Myshkin and Rogozhin physically different? How are their social positions and possessions different? What do these differences indicate about their characters?
2) Compare Myshkin and Rogozhins' responses to others. How do they react to perceived wrongs? How do they react to the forces of society and individuals that influence their behaviors?
3) Why do Myshkin and Rogozhin become close, so that Myshkin greets Rogozhin as a brother? Why does Rogozhin go to Myshkin at the end of the novel after he's killed Nastassya? In what ways are the men similar, and what bond do they share?
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)