Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Burdovsky want from Myshkin?
2. To whom does Aglaya ask Koyla to give the animal she's bought?
3. Where does Aglaya say she comes some mornings at 7 o'clock?
4. What does Ganja tell Varya he wants to do at the beginning of Part IV?
5. What does Hippolite say he is going to read?
Much of the action in the novel happens at parties and social gatherings. Discuss the importance of parties and social gatherings in the novel.
1) Why does so much of the action of the novel take place at parties and social gatherings? How do the characters react differently in these social situations, than in private?
2) What role do parties and social gatherings fulfill in the culture of St. Petersburg? How do they affect the social relationships and social order of the characters?
3) How are events at parties and social gatherings reviewed and critiqued by the people attending the gatherings? How does this change the consequences of those events, which are witnessed by groups of people?
Discuss the values of St. Petersburg society that are revealed in the novel.
1) What are the professed values of the characters in the novel? How do they express their professed values?
2) What values are revealed by the characters' actions? How are the values the characters live by different from the values they profess?
3) How are Myshkin's value and style of living different from the values of St. Petersburg society? How does Myshkin reveal the values of St. Petersburg society, by comparison?
The novel centers around the characters' love relationships. Discuss love in the novel.
1) What causes characters to fall in love with each other in the novel? How can the characters, and the reader, distinguish between true love and different kinds of attraction in the novel?
2) What role does jealousy play in the characters' love relationships? What role does the characters' ideas of their self-worth play in their attraction to others?
3) What role does social position and money play in the characters' love relationships?
This section contains 410 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)