|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does General Ivolgin say he is leaving Lebedev's house?
2. What does the note Varya finds on Ganja's desk ask for?
3. Who tells Myshkin that an officer wants to duel him?
4. What does Myshkin do while he is waiting for Aglaya on the park bench?
5. What happens to General Ivolgin?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Myshkin and Agalya each interpret Myshkin's earlier letter to Agalya?
2. Why does Burdovsky feel he is owed something from Myshkin?
3. How does Madam Yephanchin react, after Burdovsky and his companions object to the information Ganja reveals about Burdovsky?
4. What are Agalya's plans for herself and Myshkin when she first meets him in the park?
5. Why does Hippolite want to kill himself?
6. How do the guests at the Yephanchins' react to Myshkin's response to Radomsky's political views?
7. How does Myshkin feel, when he gets to Madam Yephanchin and is sitting at the table with Aglaya and the other guests?
8. How does General Ivolgin act when he talks to Myshkin after his argument with Lebedev?
9. What does Keller ask Myshkin for?
10. What does Aglaya say to Myshkin, after her proposal to him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nastassya and Aglyana are the two main female characters in the novel. Compare these two characters.
1) In what ways does Nastassya parallel Rogozhin in the novel? In what ways does Aglyana parallel Myshkin? How are the relationships between the two major male characters and the two major female characters similar and different?
2) Compare Nastassya and Aglyana. How are their home lives and upbringing similar and different? How are they perceived by others? How do others affect their actions?
3) Compare the eventual fates of Nastassya and Aglyana. Why is Aglyana the only major character to go on and live a normal life after the climax of the novel? What does this say about Aglyana's emotions and character?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss death in the novel.
1) Discuss Hippolite's attempted suicide and impending death from disease. How does Hippolite perceive death? How does he deal with impending death?
2) Discuss General Ivolgin's death from stroke. What does death mean to the General and those around him? What perspective does his first stroke and eventual death put on his disagreement with Lebedev?
3) Discuss Nastassya's death. What leads up to her death? What does her death mean to Rogozhin and to Myshkin? What does death mean to Nastassya?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss fate in the novel.
1) What forces, both within the characters themselves and outside the characters, dictate the paths that the characters' lives take in the novel? To what extent are the characters able to make choices about their lives and control their own destinies?
2) In the novel, there are moments of prophecy, as when Myshkin predicts that Nastassya will marry Rogozhin, and then Rogozhin will murder her. What do these moments of prophecy say about fate and destiny in the novel?
3) Could the novel have ended in any other way, for these particular characters in this particular society?
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)