|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hippolite say he is going to read?
2. Who tells Myshkin that the duel with the officer has been called off?
3. How does Madam Yephanchin feel about the Prince's visitors?
4. Where does Myshkin recuperate from his seizure?
5. Nastassya has written Aglaya several letters that Aglaya shows Myshkin. What do these letters ask Aglaya to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Aglaya react to winning and losing at games?
2. Why hasn't Myshkin visited the Yephanchins?
3. How does Myshkin treat Rogozhin, after Rogozhin tried to kill him?
4. How does Myshkin feel, when he gets to Madam Yephanchin and is sitting at the table with Aglaya and the other guests?
5. What is Ganja's attitude toward his father?
6. How does Myshkin answer Nastassya's question to him, and what is Rogozhin's response?
7. How does Madam Yephanchin react, after Burdovsky and his companions object to the information Ganja reveals about Burdovsky?
8. What does Madam Yephanchin think about, as she brings Myshkin to her house?
9. What does Aglaya say to Myshkin, after her proposal to him?
10. How do Myshkin and Agalya each interpret Myshkin's earlier letter to Agalya?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The novel centers around the characters' love relationships. Discuss love in the novel.
1) What causes characters to fall in love with each other in the novel? How can the characters, and the reader, distinguish between true love and different kinds of attraction in the novel?
2) What role does jealousy play in the characters' love relationships? What role does the characters' ideas of their self-worth play in their attraction to others?
3) What role does social position and money play in the characters' love relationships?
Essay Topic 2
The characters' reactions and actions in the novel are often emotional ones. Discuss emotionalism in the novel.
1) How do Aglaya and Nastassya both react emotionally? How do their emotional reactions influence events and others' perceptions of them? What decisions do they make based on emotions?
2) How are Myshkin and Rogozhin's reactions different? What role does emotion play in each man's life?
3) How are Lebedev, General Ivolgin, Ganja, and other characters emotional? What consequences do their emotional responses contribute to?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss fate in the novel.
1) What forces, both within the characters themselves and outside the characters, dictate the paths that the characters' lives take in the novel? To what extent are the characters able to make choices about their lives and control their own destinies?
2) In the novel, there are moments of prophecy, as when Myshkin predicts that Nastassya will marry Rogozhin, and then Rogozhin will murder her. What do these moments of prophecy say about fate and destiny in the novel?
3) Could the novel have ended in any other way, for these particular characters in this particular society?
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)