|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money is Lebedev missing?
2. What is Radomsky's view of liberalism?
3. When Nastassya sees Myshkin at the end of Chapter VI, what does she do?
4. What does Hippolite do when Myshkin tells him to stop reading?
5. What does Myshkin tell General Tephanchin when he asks Myshkin about Nastassya?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Ganja's attitude toward his father?
2. What does Aglaya say to Myshkin, after her proposal to him?
3. Why hasn't Myshkin visited the Yephanchins?
4. How would Myshkin probably act, if he were in Lebedev's place in the disagreement between Lebedev and General Ivolgin?
5. What happens when Hippolite tries to kill himself?
6. How does Madam Yephanchin react, after Burdovsky and his companions object to the information Ganja reveals about Burdovsky?
7. How do the guests at the Yephanchins' react to Myshkin's response to Radomsky's political views?
8. How does Myshkin contradict what Aglaya has told him about Ganja?
9. How do Myshkin and Agalya each interpret Myshkin's earlier letter to Agalya?
10. What does Ganja report about Burdovsky's relationship with Pavlishtchev?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The characters' reactions and actions in the novel are often emotional ones. Discuss emotionalism in the novel.
1) How do Aglaya and Nastassya both react emotionally? How do their emotional reactions influence events and others' perceptions of them? What decisions do they make based on emotions?
2) How are Myshkin and Rogozhin's reactions different? What role does emotion play in each man's life?
3) How are Lebedev, General Ivolgin, Ganja, and other characters emotional? What consequences do their emotional responses contribute to?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of family in the characters' lives.
1) How do the characters' families and social positions affect their lives? How do family relationships affect how the characters are accepted by society?
2) How does it affect Nastassya that her parents are killed when she is young? How do the characters' upbringings affect their personalities and attitudes?
3) How do the characters' families try to influence the characters' lives and decisions? What forces do families use to influence family members' behavior.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role that money plays in the novel.
1) How does Myshkin's life and position change when he has money? How do others view him when he has money, versus when he doesn't have money?
2) Why does Rogozhin offer Nastassya increasing amounts of money to marry him? Why does Nastassya throw Rogozhin's money into the fire?
3) How do the other characters in the novel view money? Why is money important to Ganja? How does Madam Yephanchin feel about money?
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)