|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ganja feel about HIppolite?
2. When Myshkin asks about Lebedev's missing money, where does Lebedev tell Myshkin he found the money?
3. Where does Hippolite plan to kill himself?
4. What does Myshkin say, when Aglaya asks him to marry her in Part IV, Chapter V?
5. Who tells Myshkin that an officer wants to duel him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why hasn't Myshkin visited the Yephanchins?
2. What does Aglaya say to Myshkin, after her proposal to him?
3. What does Ganja report about Burdovsky's relationship with Pavlishtchev?
4. What leads up to the violence in the park?
5. What happens when Hippolite tries to kill himself?
6. What does Myskhin's view of dueling seem to be?
7. How does Madam Yephanchin react, after Burdovsky and his companions object to the information Ganja reveals about Burdovsky?
8. What is Ganja's attitude toward his father?
9. How does Aglaya react to winning and losing at games?
10. How do Myshkin and Agalya each interpret Myshkin's earlier letter to Agalya?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nastassya and Aglyana are the two main female characters in the novel. Compare these two characters.
1) In what ways does Nastassya parallel Rogozhin in the novel? In what ways does Aglyana parallel Myshkin? How are the relationships between the two major male characters and the two major female characters similar and different?
2) Compare Nastassya and Aglyana. How are their home lives and upbringing similar and different? How are they perceived by others? How do others affect their actions?
3) Compare the eventual fates of Nastassya and Aglyana. Why is Aglyana the only major character to go on and live a normal life after the climax of the novel? What does this say about Aglyana's emotions and character?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss beauty and women in the novel.
1) How do the characters treat beautiful women differently from women who are not beautiful, or who are less beautiful? How is beauty valued in the society and by Myshkin?
2) Why is Nastassya introduced to Myshkin first by a picture? What does Myshkin know about Nastassya, based on her picture? How does Nastassya's beauty affect her life and her character?
3) How does Aglaya's beauty affect her life and her character? Does it change her personality? How would her life be different if she were not beautiful?
Essay Topic 3
Much of the action in the novel happens at parties and social gatherings. Discuss the importance of parties and social gatherings in the novel.
1) Why does so much of the action of the novel take place at parties and social gatherings? How do the characters react differently in these social situations, than in private?
2) What role do parties and social gatherings fulfill in the culture of St. Petersburg? How do they affect the social relationships and social order of the characters?
3) How are events at parties and social gatherings reviewed and critiqued by the people attending the gatherings? How does this change the consequences of those events, which are witnessed by groups of people?
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)