|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Myshkin feel when he leaves the Yephanchin house at the end of Part IV, Chapter V?
2. What is the tale Lebedev tells at Myshkin's celebration about?
3. Nastassya has written Aglaya several letters that Aglaya shows Myshkin. What do these letters ask Aglaya to do?
4. How long does Ganja tell Myshkin that Nastassya has been in town?
5. Where does Hippolite plan to kill himself?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Hippolite tries to kill himself?
2. What does Keller ask Myshkin for?
3. How do Myshkin and Agalya each interpret Myshkin's earlier letter to Agalya?
4. How do the guests at the Yephanchins' react to Myshkin's response to Radomsky's political views?
5. What does Ganja report about Burdovsky's relationship with Pavlishtchev?
6. What does Aglaya say to Myshkin, after her proposal to him?
7. What leads up to the violence in the park?
8. How does Aglaya react to winning and losing at games?
9. Why hasn't Myshkin visited the Yephanchins?
10. What is Ganja's attitude toward his father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Myshkin and Rogozhin are the two main male characters in the novel, and they are contrasted in many ways. Discuss the similarities and differences between Rogozhin and Myshkin.
1) How are Myshkin and Rogozhin physically different? How are their social positions and possessions different? What do these differences indicate about their characters?
2) Compare Myshkin and Rogozhins' responses to others. How do they react to perceived wrongs? How do they react to the forces of society and individuals that influence their behaviors?
3) Why do Myshkin and Rogozhin become close, so that Myshkin greets Rogozhin as a brother? Why does Rogozhin go to Myshkin at the end of the novel after he's killed Nastassya? In what ways are the men similar, and what bond do they share?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role that money plays in the novel.
1) How does Myshkin's life and position change when he has money? How do others view him when he has money, versus when he doesn't have money?
2) Why does Rogozhin offer Nastassya increasing amounts of money to marry him? Why does Nastassya throw Rogozhin's money into the fire?
3) How do the other characters in the novel view money? Why is money important to Ganja? How does Madam Yephanchin feel about money?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role that society's criticism and approval plays in the characters' lives in the novel.
1) What types of actions are criticized and approved of by society in the novel? How does the society as a whole make its criticism or approval felt to the characters?
2) How do characters respond to societal pressure or societal disapproval? How does it influence characters' actions? How do the characters respond to society's expectations and approval? Do characters actively try to gain societal approval?
3) How is Myshkin perceived by society? When and how is he criticized or approved? How does societal criticism or approval affect Myshkin?
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)