|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Myshkin give Aglaya for him coming to Pavlovsk?
2. Who does Aglaya tell her mother she is going to marry, when Madam Yephanchin interrupts Aglaya and Myshkin's meeting in the park?
3. What illness does Hippolite have?
4. How does Ganja feel about HIppolite?
5. Where does Hippolite plan to kill himself?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Myshkin feel, when he gets to Madam Yephanchin and is sitting at the table with Aglaya and the other guests?
2. How would Myshkin probably act, if he were in Lebedev's place in the disagreement between Lebedev and General Ivolgin?
3. What leads up to the violence in the park?
4. How does Madam Yephanchin react, after Burdovsky and his companions object to the information Ganja reveals about Burdovsky?
5. What are Agalya's plans for herself and Myshkin when she first meets him in the park?
6. How does Myshkin contradict what Aglaya has told him about Ganja?
7. What happens when Hippolite tries to kill himself?
8. How does Myshkin learn that Nastassya is in town?
9. Why hasn't Myshkin visited the Yephanchins?
10. How does Myshkin answer Nastassya's question to him, and what is Rogozhin's response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Myshkin is known for his forgiveness of others throughout the novel. Discuss forgiveness in the novel.
1) Why does Myshkin continue to forgive others for wrongs, including Rogozhin's murder of Nastassya? Are there other characters in the novel that forgive each other for wrongdoings?
2) How does the knowledge of assured forgiveness affect the characters' behavior? Does it make Lebedev more likely to be complicit in the scandalous article against Myshkin? Does forgiveness have a negative affect on characters?
3) When do the characters not forgive each other? How does the lack of forgiveness affect the characters' lives?
Essay Topic 2
The novel centers around the characters' love relationships. Discuss love in the novel.
1) What causes characters to fall in love with each other in the novel? How can the characters, and the reader, distinguish between true love and different kinds of attraction in the novel?
2) What role does jealousy play in the characters' love relationships? What role does the characters' ideas of their self-worth play in their attraction to others?
3) What role does social position and money play in the characters' love relationships?
Essay Topic 3
Nastassya and Aglyana are the two main female characters in the novel. Compare these two characters.
1) In what ways does Nastassya parallel Rogozhin in the novel? In what ways does Aglyana parallel Myshkin? How are the relationships between the two major male characters and the two major female characters similar and different?
2) Compare Nastassya and Aglyana. How are their home lives and upbringing similar and different? How are they perceived by others? How do others affect their actions?
3) Compare the eventual fates of Nastassya and Aglyana. Why is Aglyana the only major character to go on and live a normal life after the climax of the novel? What does this say about Aglyana's emotions and character?
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)