|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Nastassya sees Myshkin at the end of Chapter VI, what does she do?
2. What is Radomsky's view of liberalism?
3. Why does General Ivolgin say he is leaving Lebedev's house?
4. What illness does Hippolite have?
5. How does Myshkin feel when he leaves the Yephanchin house at the end of Part IV, Chapter V?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Myshkin answer Nastassya's question to him, and what is Rogozhin's response?
2. What does Aglaya say to Myshkin, after her proposal to him?
3. What is Ganja's attitude toward his father?
4. How does Madam Yephanchin react, after Burdovsky and his companions object to the information Ganja reveals about Burdovsky?
5. Why does Hippolite want to kill himself?
6. How does Myshkin feel, when he gets to Madam Yephanchin and is sitting at the table with Aglaya and the other guests?
7. Why does Burdovsky feel he is owed something from Myshkin?
8. How does Myshkin treat Rogozhin, after Rogozhin tried to kill him?
9. What happens when Hippolite tries to kill himself?
10. What does Madam Yephanchin feel about her daughter's relationship with Myshkin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The characters' reactions and actions in the novel are often emotional ones. Discuss emotionalism in the novel.
1) How do Aglaya and Nastassya both react emotionally? How do their emotional reactions influence events and others' perceptions of them? What decisions do they make based on emotions?
2) How are Myshkin and Rogozhin's reactions different? What role does emotion play in each man's life?
3) How are Lebedev, General Ivolgin, Ganja, and other characters emotional? What consequences do their emotional responses contribute to?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role that money plays in the novel.
1) How does Myshkin's life and position change when he has money? How do others view him when he has money, versus when he doesn't have money?
2) Why does Rogozhin offer Nastassya increasing amounts of money to marry him? Why does Nastassya throw Rogozhin's money into the fire?
3) How do the other characters in the novel view money? Why is money important to Ganja? How does Madam Yephanchin feel about money?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss religion in the novel.
1) What stories do the characters tell about religion and about God? What do these stories mean? Why does the author include them in the novel?
2) What do Myshkin and Rogozhin say about the religious painting in Rogozhin's house? What is the significance of the painting? Does it reveal anything about Rogozhin's relationship to religion? What about the crosses that the two men exchange? What is the religious significance of the crosses?
3) How does Myshkin react when he learns his benefactor turned to Catholicism before his death? What does this say about Myshkin's attitude toward religion? How is Myshkin's attitude toward religion different than the other characters' attitudes?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)