|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Myshkin stop one of the officer friends of the Yephanshins from hitting?
2. How does Myshkin feel when he leaves the Yephanchin house at the end of Part IV, Chapter V?
3. Why does General Ivolgin say he is leaving Lebedev's house?
4. How does Aglaya claim Ganja proved his love for her?
5. What entertainment do the Prince and the Yephanchins watch after they walk in the park?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Aglaya say to Myshkin, after her proposal to him?
2. What are Agalya's plans for herself and Myshkin when she first meets him in the park?
3. What happens when Hippolite tries to kill himself?
4. How does General Ivolgin act when he talks to Myshkin after his argument with Lebedev?
5. How do Myshkin and Agalya each interpret Myshkin's earlier letter to Agalya?
6. How does Madam Yephanchin react, after Burdovsky and his companions object to the information Ganja reveals about Burdovsky?
7. How does Aglaya react to winning and losing at games?
8. Why hasn't Myshkin visited the Yephanchins?
9. How does Myshkin treat Rogozhin, after Rogozhin tried to kill him?
10. How does Myshkin feel, when he gets to Madam Yephanchin and is sitting at the table with Aglaya and the other guests?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the values of St. Petersburg society that are revealed in the novel.
1) What are the professed values of the characters in the novel? How do they express their professed values?
2) What values are revealed by the characters' actions? How are the values the characters live by different from the values they profess?
3) How are Myshkin's value and style of living different from the values of St. Petersburg society? How does Myshkin reveal the values of St. Petersburg society, by comparison?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role that money plays in the novel.
1) How does Myshkin's life and position change when he has money? How do others view him when he has money, versus when he doesn't have money?
2) Why does Rogozhin offer Nastassya increasing amounts of money to marry him? Why does Nastassya throw Rogozhin's money into the fire?
3) How do the other characters in the novel view money? Why is money important to Ganja? How does Madam Yephanchin feel about money?
Essay Topic 3
The novel centers around the characters' love relationships. Discuss love in the novel.
1) What causes characters to fall in love with each other in the novel? How can the characters, and the reader, distinguish between true love and different kinds of attraction in the novel?
2) What role does jealousy play in the characters' love relationships? What role does the characters' ideas of their self-worth play in their attraction to others?
3) What role does social position and money play in the characters' love relationships?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)