|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Ganja blame for Burdovsky's claim against Myshkin?
2. What animal does Aglaya buy from Koyla?
3. What does Burdovsky want from Myshkin?
4. Who tells Myshkin that the duel with the officer has been called off?
5. What does Myshkin do while he is waiting for Aglaya on the park bench?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nastassya and Aglyana are the two main female characters in the novel. Compare these two characters.
1) In what ways does Nastassya parallel Rogozhin in the novel? In what ways does Aglyana parallel Myshkin? How are the relationships between the two major male characters and the two major female characters similar and different?
2) Compare Nastassya and Aglyana. How are their home lives and upbringing similar and different? How are they perceived by others? How do others affect their actions?
3) Compare the eventual fates of Nastassya and Aglyana. Why is Aglyana the only major character to go on and live a normal life after the climax of the novel? What does this say about Aglyana's emotions and character?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the values of St. Petersburg society that are revealed in the novel.
1) What are the professed values of the characters in the novel? How do they express their professed values?
2) What values are revealed by the characters' actions? How are the values the characters live by different from the values they profess?
3) How are Myshkin's value and style of living different from the values of St. Petersburg society? How does Myshkin reveal the values of St. Petersburg society, by comparison?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the nature of goodness in the novel.
1) In what ways does Myshkin embody goodness? Is Myshkin's goodness always truly good?
2) Why can't Myshkin's goodness survive in St. Petersburg society? Is goodness doomed to tragedy and failure?
3) Does Rogozhin have any goodness in him? In what ways are the other characters good?
This section contains 2,067 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)