|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ganja feel about HIppolite?
2. What illness does Hippolite have?
3. What phrase did Koyla overhear Aglaya say while she was reading Don Quixote?
4. Who tells Myshkin that an officer wants to duel him?
5. What does Hippolite say he is going to read?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ganja report about Burdovsky's relationship with Pavlishtchev?
2. What does Myskhin's view of dueling seem to be?
3. How does Myshkin contradict what Aglaya has told him about Ganja?
4. How would Myshkin probably act, if he were in Lebedev's place in the disagreement between Lebedev and General Ivolgin?
5. What is Ganja's attitude toward his father?
6. How do Myshkin and Agalya each interpret Myshkin's earlier letter to Agalya?
7. How does Myshkin answer Nastassya's question to him, and what is Rogozhin's response?
8. Why does Hippolite want to kill himself?
9. What happens when Hippolite tries to kill himself?
10. How does Myshkin learn that Nastassya is in town?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Myshkin and Rogozhin are the two main male characters in the novel, and they are contrasted in many ways. Discuss the similarities and differences between Rogozhin and Myshkin.
1) How are Myshkin and Rogozhin physically different? How are their social positions and possessions different? What do these differences indicate about their characters?
2) Compare Myshkin and Rogozhins' responses to others. How do they react to perceived wrongs? How do they react to the forces of society and individuals that influence their behaviors?
3) Why do Myshkin and Rogozhin become close, so that Myshkin greets Rogozhin as a brother? Why does Rogozhin go to Myshkin at the end of the novel after he's killed Nastassya? In what ways are the men similar, and what bond do they share?
Essay Topic 2
The novel centers around the characters' love relationships. Discuss love in the novel.
1) What causes characters to fall in love with each other in the novel? How can the characters, and the reader, distinguish between true love and different kinds of attraction in the novel?
2) What role does jealousy play in the characters' love relationships? What role does the characters' ideas of their self-worth play in their attraction to others?
3) What role does social position and money play in the characters' love relationships?
Essay Topic 3
Nastassya and Aglyana are the two main female characters in the novel. Compare these two characters.
1) In what ways does Nastassya parallel Rogozhin in the novel? In what ways does Aglyana parallel Myshkin? How are the relationships between the two major male characters and the two major female characters similar and different?
2) Compare Nastassya and Aglyana. How are their home lives and upbringing similar and different? How are they perceived by others? How do others affect their actions?
3) Compare the eventual fates of Nastassya and Aglyana. Why is Aglyana the only major character to go on and live a normal life after the climax of the novel? What does this say about Aglyana's emotions and character?
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)