|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What illness does Hippolite have?
2. How does Aglaya claim Ganja proved his love for her?
3. What does Lebedev plan to do about the missing money?
4. Who does Myshkin realize is the woman from his dream in the park?
5. When Myshkin asks about Lebedev's missing money, where does Lebedev tell Myshkin he found the money?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Ganja's attitude toward his father?
2. What leads up to the violence in the park?
3. How does Aglaya react to winning and losing at games?
4. What does Aglaya say to Myshkin, after her proposal to him?
5. How does Myshkin learn that Nastassya is in town?
6. What does Keller ask Myshkin for?
7. How does Myshkin contradict what Aglaya has told him about Ganja?
8. Why hasn't Myshkin visited the Yephanchins?
9. What does Ganja report about Burdovsky's relationship with Pavlishtchev?
10. How does Myshkin feel, when he gets to Madam Yephanchin and is sitting at the table with Aglaya and the other guests?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Myshkin is known for his forgiveness of others throughout the novel. Discuss forgiveness in the novel.
1) Why does Myshkin continue to forgive others for wrongs, including Rogozhin's murder of Nastassya? Are there other characters in the novel that forgive each other for wrongdoings?
2) How does the knowledge of assured forgiveness affect the characters' behavior? Does it make Lebedev more likely to be complicit in the scandalous article against Myshkin? Does forgiveness have a negative affect on characters?
3) When do the characters not forgive each other? How does the lack of forgiveness affect the characters' lives?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss religion in the novel.
1) What stories do the characters tell about religion and about God? What do these stories mean? Why does the author include them in the novel?
2) What do Myshkin and Rogozhin say about the religious painting in Rogozhin's house? What is the significance of the painting? Does it reveal anything about Rogozhin's relationship to religion? What about the crosses that the two men exchange? What is the religious significance of the crosses?
3) How does Myshkin react when he learns his benefactor turned to Catholicism before his death? What does this say about Myshkin's attitude toward religion? How is Myshkin's attitude toward religion different than the other characters' attitudes?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role that money plays in the novel.
1) How does Myshkin's life and position change when he has money? How do others view him when he has money, versus when he doesn't have money?
2) Why does Rogozhin offer Nastassya increasing amounts of money to marry him? Why does Nastassya throw Rogozhin's money into the fire?
3) How do the other characters in the novel view money? Why is money important to Ganja? How does Madam Yephanchin feel about money?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)