Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the General find a picture of?
2. Who does Myshkin try to visit at the Scales hotel?
3. Who does Madam Yephanchin want to talk to as soon as she sees the photo of Nastassya?
4. Who runs after Nastassya and Rogozhin when they leave?
5. What story does Ganja's father tell?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Madam Yephanchin react, after Burdovsky and his companions object to the information Ganja reveals about Burdovsky?
2. What happens when Hippolite tries to kill himself?
3. How does Nastassya react to Rogozhin's offer of a present?
4. How does Myshkin contradict what Aglaya has told him about Ganja?
5. How do the people at the party react to the accident Myshkin causes?
6. How do the guests at the Yephanchins' react to Myshkin's response to Radomsky's political views?
7. How does the General treat Prince Myshkin?
8. What happens to Myshkin when Rogozhin tries to kill him?
9. How does Aglaya react to Ganja's letter?
10. What does Myskhin's view of dueling seem to be?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how characters in the novel define themselves, and their relationships to others.
1) How does Rogozhin define himself in the novel? What is his perception of himself? How does his own self-perception lead him to violence against both Myshkin and Nastassya?
2) How does Nastassya define herself in the novel? How does her relationship with Totsky affect her self-perception? How does her view of herself affect her relationships with Rogozhin and with Myshkin?
3) How does Aglyana perceive herself? How do her parents' and sisters' attitudes affect her self-perception? How does her definition of herself affect her relationships with others, including her romantic relationships with Ganja and Myshkin? What leads her to the confrontation with Nastassya after Myshkin's seizure?
Essay Topic 2
Nastassya and Aglyana are the two main female characters in the novel. Compare these two characters.
1) In what ways does Nastassya parallel Rogozhin in the novel? In what ways does Aglyana parallel Myshkin? How are the relationships between the two major male characters and the two major female characters similar and different?
2) Compare Nastassya and Aglyana. How are their home lives and upbringing similar and different? How are they perceived by others? How do others affect their actions?
3) Compare the eventual fates of Nastassya and Aglyana. Why is Aglyana the only major character to go on and live a normal life after the climax of the novel? What does this say about Aglyana's emotions and character?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the nature of goodness in the novel.
1) In what ways does Myshkin embody goodness? Is Myshkin's goodness always truly good?
2) Why can't Myshkin's goodness survive in St. Petersburg society? Is goodness doomed to tragedy and failure?
3) Does Rogozhin have any goodness in him? In what ways are the other characters good?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)