|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nastassya do with Rogozhin's money?
2. How do the party guests decide what order to play the game?
3. Who runs after Nastassya and Rogozhin when they leave?
4. How did General Yephanchin make his reputation and fortune?
5. Where does Ganja live?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the General treat Prince Myshkin?
2. How does Ganja's father embarrass him?
3. What happened to the man that Totsky wronged in his story?
4. How did Rogozhin become estranged from his father?
5. What does Nastassya ask Myshkin, after hearing the stories of the men at the party?
6. How does the footman treat Prince Myshkin when he first arrives at the Yephanchins' house?
7. What does Yephanchin say that he did to make up for his guilty feelings?
8. What wrongs does Ganja accuse Myshkin of during this section?
9. What does Myshkin predict about Rogozhin and Nastassya Filippovna?
10. What does Myshkin do, when Ganja apologizes for hitting him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how characters in the novel define themselves, and their relationships to others.
1) How does Rogozhin define himself in the novel? What is his perception of himself? How does his own self-perception lead him to violence against both Myshkin and Nastassya?
2) How does Nastassya define herself in the novel? How does her relationship with Totsky affect her self-perception? How does her view of herself affect her relationships with Rogozhin and with Myshkin?
3) How does Aglyana perceive herself? How do her parents' and sisters' attitudes affect her self-perception? How does her definition of herself affect her relationships with others, including her romantic relationships with Ganja and Myshkin? What leads her to the confrontation with Nastassya after Myshkin's seizure?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss beauty and women in the novel.
1) How do the characters treat beautiful women differently from women who are not beautiful, or who are less beautiful? How is beauty valued in the society and by Myshkin?
2) Why is Nastassya introduced to Myshkin first by a picture? What does Myshkin know about Nastassya, based on her picture? How does Nastassya's beauty affect her life and her character?
3) How does Aglaya's beauty affect her life and her character? Does it change her personality? How would her life be different if she were not beautiful?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the values of St. Petersburg society that are revealed in the novel.
1) What are the professed values of the characters in the novel? How do they express their professed values?
2) What values are revealed by the characters' actions? How are the values the characters live by different from the values they profess?
3) How are Myshkin's value and style of living different from the values of St. Petersburg society? How does Myshkin reveal the values of St. Petersburg society, by comparison?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)