|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ganja do when Madam Yephanchin confronts him about what she suspects her husband is doing behind her back?
2. How does Myshkin react when Ganja calls him an idiot?
3. How does Madame Yephanchin react to Myshkin?
4. How does the party in general react to Rogozhin's arrival?
5. What skill does the Prince tell the General that he has?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ganja come to blows with Myshkin, and how does Myshkin respond?
2. What happens to Myshkin when Rogozhin tries to kill him?
3. What does Ferdyshchenko do with his ill-gotten gains?
4. How does the General treat Prince Myshkin?
5. What stories does Myshkin tell Rogozhin about religion?
6. What does Ferdyshchenko describe doing to make sure someone else is blamed for his own theft?
7. How does Myshkin respond when Adelaide asks him about falling in love?
8. What does Nastassya ask Myshkin, after hearing the stories of the men at the party?
9. What does Yephanchin say that he did to make up for his guilty feelings?
10. How does Myshkin describe Aglaya?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the values of St. Petersburg society that are revealed in the novel.
1) What are the professed values of the characters in the novel? How do they express their professed values?
2) What values are revealed by the characters' actions? How are the values the characters live by different from the values they profess?
3) How are Myshkin's value and style of living different from the values of St. Petersburg society? How does Myshkin reveal the values of St. Petersburg society, by comparison?
Essay Topic 2
Nastassya and Aglyana are the two main female characters in the novel. Compare these two characters.
1) In what ways does Nastassya parallel Rogozhin in the novel? In what ways does Aglyana parallel Myshkin? How are the relationships between the two major male characters and the two major female characters similar and different?
2) Compare Nastassya and Aglyana. How are their home lives and upbringing similar and different? How are they perceived by others? How do others affect their actions?
3) Compare the eventual fates of Nastassya and Aglyana. Why is Aglyana the only major character to go on and live a normal life after the climax of the novel? What does this say about Aglyana's emotions and character?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role that society's criticism and approval plays in the characters' lives in the novel.
1) What types of actions are criticized and approved of by society in the novel? How does the society as a whole make its criticism or approval felt to the characters?
2) How do characters respond to societal pressure or societal disapproval? How does it influence characters' actions? How do the characters respond to society's expectations and approval? Do characters actively try to gain societal approval?
3) How is Myshkin perceived by society? When and how is he criticized or approved? How does societal criticism or approval affect Myshkin?
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)