|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Lebedev react when Rogozhin tells who he is?
2. What does Prince Myshkin smoke?
3. What does Madam Yephachin tell Myshkin to get for her?
4. What does Ganja ask Aglaya to do?
5. How does Nastassya react to Rogozhin's arrival?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Myshkin predict about Rogozhin and Nastassya Filippovna?
2. What does Myshkin say that he does not care about, before he proposes to Nastassya?
3. What reason does Yephanchin say he has to be guilty over someone's death?
4. What does Myshkin feel when he gets off the train arriving in St. Petersburg?
5. What happened to the man that Totsky wronged in his story?
6. How does Ganja come to blows with Myshkin, and how does Myshkin respond?
7. What does Ferdyshchenko do with his ill-gotten gains?
8. Why is Ganja marrying Nastassya?
9. What is Myshkin and Rogozhin's initial meeting like, when Myshkin visits Rogozhin's house upon returning to St. Petersburg?
10. What does Ferdyshchenko describe doing to make sure someone else is blamed for his own theft?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss death in the novel.
1) Discuss Hippolite's attempted suicide and impending death from disease. How does Hippolite perceive death? How does he deal with impending death?
2) Discuss General Ivolgin's death from stroke. What does death mean to the General and those around him? What perspective does his first stroke and eventual death put on his disagreement with Lebedev?
3) Discuss Nastassya's death. What leads up to her death? What does her death mean to Rogozhin and to Myshkin? What does death mean to Nastassya?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of family in the characters' lives.
1) How do the characters' families and social positions affect their lives? How do family relationships affect how the characters are accepted by society?
2) How does it affect Nastassya that her parents are killed when she is young? How do the characters' upbringings affect their personalities and attitudes?
3) How do the characters' families try to influence the characters' lives and decisions? What forces do families use to influence family members' behavior.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role that society's criticism and approval plays in the characters' lives in the novel.
1) What types of actions are criticized and approved of by society in the novel? How does the society as a whole make its criticism or approval felt to the characters?
2) How do characters respond to societal pressure or societal disapproval? How does it influence characters' actions? How do the characters respond to society's expectations and approval? Do characters actively try to gain societal approval?
3) How is Myshkin perceived by society? When and how is he criticized or approved? How does societal criticism or approval affect Myshkin?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)