|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Madam Yephanchin want to talk to as soon as she sees the photo of Nastassya?
2. What is General Yephanchin's initial response to the Prince's request for help?
3. What is Myshkin's explanation for why Nastassya left Rogozhin?
4. What game does Nastassya suggest to the men?
5. What is the General's opinion of Rogozhin?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ganja's father embarrass him?
2. How does Madam Yephanchin react to Myshkin going off to collect his inheritance?
3. What does Myshkin feel when he gets off the train arriving in St. Petersburg?
4. What does Nastassya say initially to Myshkin's proposal?
5. How does Aglaya react to Ganja's letter?
6. How does Totsky describe Nastassya's behavior as she grew up?
7. How does Myshkin describe Aglaya?
8. How do the Yephanchins' three daughters react to Myshkin?
9. Why is Ganja marrying Nastassya?
10. What does Myshkin do, when Ganja apologizes for hitting him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the expectations that characters put on others in the novel.
1) What do the members of society expect Myshkin to be like? How do they treat Myshkin when he does not meet their expectations?
2) What do the characters expect of their friends and family members in the novel? What do Aglyana's parents expect of her, and how do their expectations shape her behavior? What does Nastassya's guardian expect from her, and how do his expectations shape her behavior?
3) What does Myshkin expect from others in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, characters communicate private messages through letters. Discuss the role of letters in the novel.
1) Why do characters use letters to communicate? What types of messages do the characters communicate through letters?
2) How do the intentions of letter-writers and the meanings interpreted by readers differ? Why? What does this say about communication in the novel?
3) How do letters being read by unintended audiences or not delivered affect the course of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role that society's criticism and approval plays in the characters' lives in the novel.
1) What types of actions are criticized and approved of by society in the novel? How does the society as a whole make its criticism or approval felt to the characters?
2) How do characters respond to societal pressure or societal disapproval? How does it influence characters' actions? How do the characters respond to society's expectations and approval? Do characters actively try to gain societal approval?
3) How is Myshkin perceived by society? When and how is he criticized or approved? How does societal criticism or approval affect Myshkin?
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)