|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who invites Myshkin to sit next to them?
2. How many daughters do the Yephanchins have?
3. What does Prince Myshkin smoke?
4. What is Rogozhin's house like?
5. What story does Ganja's father tell?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Myshkin when Rogozhin tries to kill him?
2. What does Myshkin do, when Ganja apologizes for hitting him?
3. What reason does Yephanchin say he has to be guilty over someone's death?
4. What does Rogozhin describe as having happened between him and Nastassya before she left him?
5. What does Myshkin predict about Rogozhin and Nastassya Filippovna?
6. How does Nastassya react to Rogozhin's offer of a present?
7. What is Myshkin and Rogozhin's initial meeting like, when Myshkin visits Rogozhin's house upon returning to St. Petersburg?
8. What does Myshkin say that he does not care about, before he proposes to Nastassya?
9. How does Ganja's father embarrass him?
10. How do the Yephanchins' three daughters react to Myshkin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The novel centers around the characters' love relationships. Discuss love in the novel.
1) What causes characters to fall in love with each other in the novel? How can the characters, and the reader, distinguish between true love and different kinds of attraction in the novel?
2) What role does jealousy play in the characters' love relationships? What role does the characters' ideas of their self-worth play in their attraction to others?
3) What role does social position and money play in the characters' love relationships?
Essay Topic 2
The characters' reactions and actions in the novel are often emotional ones. Discuss emotionalism in the novel.
1) How do Aglaya and Nastassya both react emotionally? How do their emotional reactions influence events and others' perceptions of them? What decisions do they make based on emotions?
2) How are Myshkin and Rogozhin's reactions different? What role does emotion play in each man's life?
3) How are Lebedev, General Ivolgin, Ganja, and other characters emotional? What consequences do their emotional responses contribute to?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss religion in the novel.
1) What stories do the characters tell about religion and about God? What do these stories mean? Why does the author include them in the novel?
2) What do Myshkin and Rogozhin say about the religious painting in Rogozhin's house? What is the significance of the painting? Does it reveal anything about Rogozhin's relationship to religion? What about the crosses that the two men exchange? What is the religious significance of the crosses?
3) How does Myshkin react when he learns his benefactor turned to Catholicism before his death? What does this say about Myshkin's attitude toward religion? How is Myshkin's attitude toward religion different than the other characters' attitudes?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)