|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the General's wife react to his gift to Nastassya Filoppovna?
2. What does Nastassya use to retrieve the money?
3. Who does Ganja ask Myshkin to deliver a secret letter to?
4. What does Myshkin threaten to do, after Ganja calls him an idiot?
5. Who goes first in the game?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ferdyshchenko do with his ill-gotten gains?
2. How does Myshkin describe Aglaya?
3. How does Ganja come to blows with Myshkin, and how does Myshkin respond?
4. What happened to the man that Totsky wronged in his story?
5. How did Rogozhin become estranged from his father?
6. What does Myshkin predict about Rogozhin and Nastassya Filippovna?
7. What does Nastassya say initially to Myshkin's proposal?
8. What does Myshkin say that he does not care about, before he proposes to Nastassya?
9. How do the Yephanchins' three daughters react to Myshkin?
10. What does Myshkin feel when he gets off the train arriving in St. Petersburg?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The characters' reactions and actions in the novel are often emotional ones. Discuss emotionalism in the novel.
1) How do Aglaya and Nastassya both react emotionally? How do their emotional reactions influence events and others' perceptions of them? What decisions do they make based on emotions?
2) How are Myshkin and Rogozhin's reactions different? What role does emotion play in each man's life?
3) How are Lebedev, General Ivolgin, Ganja, and other characters emotional? What consequences do their emotional responses contribute to?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss religion in the novel.
1) What stories do the characters tell about religion and about God? What do these stories mean? Why does the author include them in the novel?
2) What do Myshkin and Rogozhin say about the religious painting in Rogozhin's house? What is the significance of the painting? Does it reveal anything about Rogozhin's relationship to religion? What about the crosses that the two men exchange? What is the religious significance of the crosses?
3) How does Myshkin react when he learns his benefactor turned to Catholicism before his death? What does this say about Myshkin's attitude toward religion? How is Myshkin's attitude toward religion different than the other characters' attitudes?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the expectations that characters put on others in the novel.
1) What do the members of society expect Myshkin to be like? How do they treat Myshkin when he does not meet their expectations?
2) What do the characters expect of their friends and family members in the novel? What do Aglyana's parents expect of her, and how do their expectations shape her behavior? What does Nastassya's guardian expect from her, and how do his expectations shape her behavior?
3) What does Myshkin expect from others in the novel?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)