|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the party react to Ferdyshchenko's story?
2. How do the party guests decide what order to play the game?
3. What does Aglaya ask Myshkin to do?
4. How does Nastassya react to Rogozhin's arrival?
5. Where does Ganja live?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Myshkin predict about Rogozhin and Nastassya Filippovna?
2. What reason does Yephanchin say he has to be guilty over someone's death?
3. How does the footman treat Prince Myshkin when he first arrives at the Yephanchins' house?
4. Why is Ganja marrying Nastassya?
5. What does Rogozhin describe as having happened between him and Nastassya before she left him?
6. What does Ferdyshchenko describe doing to make sure someone else is blamed for his own theft?
7. How does Ganja come to blows with Myshkin, and how does Myshkin respond?
8. What is Myshkin and Rogozhin's initial meeting like, when Myshkin visits Rogozhin's house upon returning to St. Petersburg?
9. How does Myshkin describe Aglaya?
10. What does Myshkin feel when he gets off the train arriving in St. Petersburg?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Myshkin and Rogozhin are the two main male characters in the novel, and they are contrasted in many ways. Discuss the similarities and differences between Rogozhin and Myshkin.
1) How are Myshkin and Rogozhin physically different? How are their social positions and possessions different? What do these differences indicate about their characters?
2) Compare Myshkin and Rogozhins' responses to others. How do they react to perceived wrongs? How do they react to the forces of society and individuals that influence their behaviors?
3) Why do Myshkin and Rogozhin become close, so that Myshkin greets Rogozhin as a brother? Why does Rogozhin go to Myshkin at the end of the novel after he's killed Nastassya? In what ways are the men similar, and what bond do they share?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss death in the novel.
1) Discuss Hippolite's attempted suicide and impending death from disease. How does Hippolite perceive death? How does he deal with impending death?
2) Discuss General Ivolgin's death from stroke. What does death mean to the General and those around him? What perspective does his first stroke and eventual death put on his disagreement with Lebedev?
3) Discuss Nastassya's death. What leads up to her death? What does her death mean to Rogozhin and to Myshkin? What does death mean to Nastassya?
Essay Topic 3
Myshkin is known for his forgiveness of others throughout the novel. Discuss forgiveness in the novel.
1) Why does Myshkin continue to forgive others for wrongs, including Rogozhin's murder of Nastassya? Are there other characters in the novel that forgive each other for wrongdoings?
2) How does the knowledge of assured forgiveness affect the characters' behavior? Does it make Lebedev more likely to be complicit in the scandalous article against Myshkin? Does forgiveness have a negative affect on characters?
3) When do the characters not forgive each other? How does the lack of forgiveness affect the characters' lives?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)