|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the party guests decide what order to play the game?
2. What does Nastassya do with Rogozhin's money?
3. What does Ferdyshchenko suggest making Myshkin do, as punishment for poor behavior?
4. Who finally brings Myshkin to Nastassya's house?
5. What does Madam Yephachin tell Myshkin to get for her?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Myshkin respond when Adelaide asks him about falling in love?
2. What does Madam Yephanchin feel about her daughter's relationship with Myshkin?
3. At the meeting at Daria Alexyevna's house, how does Aglaya treat Nastassya?
4. What does Myshkin do, when Ganja apologizes for hitting him?
5. How does Myshkin answer Nastassya's question to him, and what is Rogozhin's response?
6. How does Madam Yephanchin react to Myshkin going off to collect his inheritance?
7. What happened to the man that Totsky wronged in his story?
8. How does Myshkin treat Rogozhin, after Rogozhin tried to kill him?
9. How does Ganja's father embarrass him?
10. What does Yephanchin say that he did to make up for his guilty feelings?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Myshkin is known for his forgiveness of others throughout the novel. Discuss forgiveness in the novel.
1) Why does Myshkin continue to forgive others for wrongs, including Rogozhin's murder of Nastassya? Are there other characters in the novel that forgive each other for wrongdoings?
2) How does the knowledge of assured forgiveness affect the characters' behavior? Does it make Lebedev more likely to be complicit in the scandalous article against Myshkin? Does forgiveness have a negative affect on characters?
3) When do the characters not forgive each other? How does the lack of forgiveness affect the characters' lives?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the values of St. Petersburg society that are revealed in the novel.
1) What are the professed values of the characters in the novel? How do they express their professed values?
2) What values are revealed by the characters' actions? How are the values the characters live by different from the values they profess?
3) How are Myshkin's value and style of living different from the values of St. Petersburg society? How does Myshkin reveal the values of St. Petersburg society, by comparison?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role that money plays in the novel.
1) How does Myshkin's life and position change when he has money? How do others view him when he has money, versus when he doesn't have money?
2) Why does Rogozhin offer Nastassya increasing amounts of money to marry him? Why does Nastassya throw Rogozhin's money into the fire?
3) How do the other characters in the novel view money? Why is money important to Ganja? How does Madam Yephanchin feel about money?
This section contains 2,482 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)