|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rogozhin say his reason is for traveling to Russia?
2. What does Aglaya ask Myshkin to read?
3. What does Myshkin learn about Nastassya's engagement to Rogozhin?
4. Does Nastassya accept Myshkin's proposal?
5. Where does Myshkin plan to live?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ganja come to blows with Myshkin, and how does Myshkin respond?
2. What happened to the man that Totsky wronged in his story?
3. How does Myshkin describe Aglaya?
4. Why is Ganja marrying Nastassya?
5. What stories does Myshkin tell Rogozhin about religion?
6. How did Rogozhin become estranged from his father?
7. What does Rogozhin describe as having happened between him and Nastassya before she left him?
8. How does the footman treat Prince Myshkin when he first arrives at the Yephanchins' house?
9. What does Nastassya say initially to Myshkin's proposal?
10. How does the General treat Prince Myshkin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role that money plays in the novel.
1) How does Myshkin's life and position change when he has money? How do others view him when he has money, versus when he doesn't have money?
2) Why does Rogozhin offer Nastassya increasing amounts of money to marry him? Why does Nastassya throw Rogozhin's money into the fire?
3) How do the other characters in the novel view money? Why is money important to Ganja? How does Madam Yephanchin feel about money?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how characters in the novel define themselves, and their relationships to others.
1) How does Rogozhin define himself in the novel? What is his perception of himself? How does his own self-perception lead him to violence against both Myshkin and Nastassya?
2) How does Nastassya define herself in the novel? How does her relationship with Totsky affect her self-perception? How does her view of herself affect her relationships with Rogozhin and with Myshkin?
3) How does Aglyana perceive herself? How do her parents' and sisters' attitudes affect her self-perception? How does her definition of herself affect her relationships with others, including her romantic relationships with Ganja and Myshkin? What leads her to the confrontation with Nastassya after Myshkin's seizure?
Essay Topic 3
The characters' reactions and actions in the novel are often emotional ones. Discuss emotionalism in the novel.
1) How do Aglaya and Nastassya both react emotionally? How do their emotional reactions influence events and others' perceptions of them? What decisions do they make based on emotions?
2) How are Myshkin and Rogozhin's reactions different? What role does emotion play in each man's life?
3) How are Lebedev, General Ivolgin, Ganja, and other characters emotional? What consequences do their emotional responses contribute to?
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)