|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Rogozhin suggest that Myshkin should stay, after the fight with Ganja?
2. Whose death does Yephanchin tell a story about?
3. What game does Nastassya suggest to the men?
4. How long ago did Totsky take in Nastassya as his ward?
5. How did General Yephanchin make his reputation and fortune?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Yephanchin say that he did to make up for his guilty feelings?
2. What does Rogozhin and Lebedev's relationship seem to be like during their conversation on the train?
3. How does Nastassya react to Rogozhin's offer of a present?
4. How does Totsky describe Nastassya's behavior as she grew up?
5. How does the General treat Prince Myshkin?
6. How does Madam Yephanchin react to Myshkin going off to collect his inheritance?
7. What does Myshkin say that he does not care about, before he proposes to Nastassya?
8. How does Myshkin describe Aglaya?
9. What does Myshkin do, when Ganja apologizes for hitting him?
10. How does Ganja come to blows with Myshkin, and how does Myshkin respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss religion in the novel.
1) What stories do the characters tell about religion and about God? What do these stories mean? Why does the author include them in the novel?
2) What do Myshkin and Rogozhin say about the religious painting in Rogozhin's house? What is the significance of the painting? Does it reveal anything about Rogozhin's relationship to religion? What about the crosses that the two men exchange? What is the religious significance of the crosses?
3) How does Myshkin react when he learns his benefactor turned to Catholicism before his death? What does this say about Myshkin's attitude toward religion? How is Myshkin's attitude toward religion different than the other characters' attitudes?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role that money plays in the novel.
1) How does Myshkin's life and position change when he has money? How do others view him when he has money, versus when he doesn't have money?
2) Why does Rogozhin offer Nastassya increasing amounts of money to marry him? Why does Nastassya throw Rogozhin's money into the fire?
3) How do the other characters in the novel view money? Why is money important to Ganja? How does Madam Yephanchin feel about money?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how characters in the novel define themselves, and their relationships to others.
1) How does Rogozhin define himself in the novel? What is his perception of himself? How does his own self-perception lead him to violence against both Myshkin and Nastassya?
2) How does Nastassya define herself in the novel? How does her relationship with Totsky affect her self-perception? How does her view of herself affect her relationships with Rogozhin and with Myshkin?
3) How does Aglyana perceive herself? How do her parents' and sisters' attitudes affect her self-perception? How does her definition of herself affect her relationships with others, including her romantic relationships with Ganja and Myshkin? What leads her to the confrontation with Nastassya after Myshkin's seizure?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)