|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Ganja ask Myshkin to deliver a secret letter to?
2. What happens to Ganja's father while Myshkin is away?
3. Where does Rogozhin suggest that Myshkin should stay, after the fight with Ganja?
4. When the Yephachin women ask what Myshkin thinks of them, who does he avoid commenting on?
5. How much money does Rogozhin offer for Nastassya's hand in marriage?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to the man that Totsky wronged in his story?
2. How does Nastassya react to Rogozhin's offer of a present?
3. How does Aglaya react to Ganja's letter?
4. What reason does Yephanchin say he has to be guilty over someone's death?
5. How does the footman treat Prince Myshkin when he first arrives at the Yephanchins' house?
6. What does Nastassya ask Myshkin, after hearing the stories of the men at the party?
7. What does Ferdyshchenko do with his ill-gotten gains?
8. How does Myshkin respond when Adelaide asks him about falling in love?
9. What does Ferdyshchenko describe doing to make sure someone else is blamed for his own theft?
10. What does Rogozhin and Lebedev's relationship seem to be like during their conversation on the train?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Myshkin and Rogozhin are the two main male characters in the novel, and they are contrasted in many ways. Discuss the similarities and differences between Rogozhin and Myshkin.
1) How are Myshkin and Rogozhin physically different? How are their social positions and possessions different? What do these differences indicate about their characters?
2) Compare Myshkin and Rogozhins' responses to others. How do they react to perceived wrongs? How do they react to the forces of society and individuals that influence their behaviors?
3) Why do Myshkin and Rogozhin become close, so that Myshkin greets Rogozhin as a brother? Why does Rogozhin go to Myshkin at the end of the novel after he's killed Nastassya? In what ways are the men similar, and what bond do they share?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss religion in the novel.
1) What stories do the characters tell about religion and about God? What do these stories mean? Why does the author include them in the novel?
2) What do Myshkin and Rogozhin say about the religious painting in Rogozhin's house? What is the significance of the painting? Does it reveal anything about Rogozhin's relationship to religion? What about the crosses that the two men exchange? What is the religious significance of the crosses?
3) How does Myshkin react when he learns his benefactor turned to Catholicism before his death? What does this say about Myshkin's attitude toward religion? How is Myshkin's attitude toward religion different than the other characters' attitudes?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss beauty and women in the novel.
1) How do the characters treat beautiful women differently from women who are not beautiful, or who are less beautiful? How is beauty valued in the society and by Myshkin?
2) Why is Nastassya introduced to Myshkin first by a picture? What does Myshkin know about Nastassya, based on her picture? How does Nastassya's beauty affect her life and her character?
3) How does Aglaya's beauty affect her life and her character? Does it change her personality? How would her life be different if she were not beautiful?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)