|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gets fired in Ferdyshchenko's story?
2. What does Madam Yephachin tell Myshkin to get for her?
3. What does Aglaya ask Myshkin to read?
4. What does Prince Myshkin smoke?
5. What story does Ganja's father tell?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ganja come to blows with Myshkin, and how does Myshkin respond?
2. What does Myshkin do, when Ganja apologizes for hitting him?
3. How does the footman treat Prince Myshkin when he first arrives at the Yephanchins' house?
4. What wrongs does Ganja accuse Myshkin of during this section?
5. What does Nastassya say initially to Myshkin's proposal?
6. How does Myshkin describe Aglaya?
7. What does Rogozhin and Lebedev's relationship seem to be like during their conversation on the train?
8. How does Ganja's father embarrass him?
9. What stories does Myshkin tell Rogozhin about religion?
10. How does Madam Yephanchin react to Myshkin going off to collect his inheritance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role that money plays in the novel.
1) How does Myshkin's life and position change when he has money? How do others view him when he has money, versus when he doesn't have money?
2) Why does Rogozhin offer Nastassya increasing amounts of money to marry him? Why does Nastassya throw Rogozhin's money into the fire?
3) How do the other characters in the novel view money? Why is money important to Ganja? How does Madam Yephanchin feel about money?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss beauty and women in the novel.
1) How do the characters treat beautiful women differently from women who are not beautiful, or who are less beautiful? How is beauty valued in the society and by Myshkin?
2) Why is Nastassya introduced to Myshkin first by a picture? What does Myshkin know about Nastassya, based on her picture? How does Nastassya's beauty affect her life and her character?
3) How does Aglaya's beauty affect her life and her character? Does it change her personality? How would her life be different if she were not beautiful?
Essay Topic 3
Myshkin and Rogozhin are the two main male characters in the novel, and they are contrasted in many ways. Discuss the similarities and differences between Rogozhin and Myshkin.
1) How are Myshkin and Rogozhin physically different? How are their social positions and possessions different? What do these differences indicate about their characters?
2) Compare Myshkin and Rogozhins' responses to others. How do they react to perceived wrongs? How do they react to the forces of society and individuals that influence their behaviors?
3) Why do Myshkin and Rogozhin become close, so that Myshkin greets Rogozhin as a brother? Why does Rogozhin go to Myshkin at the end of the novel after he's killed Nastassya? In what ways are the men similar, and what bond do they share?
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)