|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the General find a picture of?
2. Who does Myshkin try to visit at the Scales hotel?
3. Who does Madam Yephanchin want to talk to as soon as she sees the photo of Nastassya?
4. Who runs after Nastassya and Rogozhin when they leave?
5. What story does Ganja's father tell?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Madam Yephanchin react, after Burdovsky and his companions object to the information Ganja reveals about Burdovsky?
2. What happens when Hippolite tries to kill himself?
3. How does Nastassya react to Rogozhin's offer of a present?
4. How does Myshkin contradict what Aglaya has told him about Ganja?
5. How do the people at the party react to the accident Myshkin causes?
6. How do the guests at the Yephanchins' react to Myshkin's response to Radomsky's political views?
7. How does the General treat Prince Myshkin?
8. What happens to Myshkin when Rogozhin tries to kill him?
9. How does Aglaya react to Ganja's letter?
10. What does Myskhin's view of dueling seem to be?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role that money plays in the novel.
1) How does Myshkin's life and position change when he has money? How do others view him when he has money, versus when he doesn't have money?
2) Why does Rogozhin offer Nastassya increasing amounts of money to marry him? Why does Nastassya throw Rogozhin's money into the fire?
3) How do the other characters in the novel view money? Why is money important to Ganja? How does Madam Yephanchin feel about money?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the nature of goodness in the novel.
1) In what ways does Myshkin embody goodness? Is Myshkin's goodness always truly good?
2) Why can't Myshkin's goodness survive in St. Petersburg society? Is goodness doomed to tragedy and failure?
3) Does Rogozhin have any goodness in him? In what ways are the other characters good?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role that society's criticism and approval plays in the characters' lives in the novel.
1) What types of actions are criticized and approved of by society in the novel? How does the society as a whole make its criticism or approval felt to the characters?
2) How do characters respond to societal pressure or societal disapproval? How does it influence characters' actions? How do the characters respond to society's expectations and approval? Do characters actively try to gain societal approval?
3) How is Myshkin perceived by society? When and how is he criticized or approved? How does societal criticism or approval affect Myshkin?
This section contains 2,515 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)