Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the General find a picture of?
2. Who does Myshkin try to visit at the Scales hotel?
3. Who does Madam Yephanchin want to talk to as soon as she sees the photo of Nastassya?
4. Who runs after Nastassya and Rogozhin when they leave?
5. What story does Ganja's father tell?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Madam Yephanchin react, after Burdovsky and his companions object to the information Ganja reveals about Burdovsky?
2. What happens when Hippolite tries to kill himself?
3. How does Nastassya react to Rogozhin's offer of a present?
4. How does Myshkin contradict what Aglaya has told him about Ganja?
5. How do the people at the party react to the accident Myshkin causes?
6. How do the guests at the Yephanchins' react to Myshkin's response to Radomsky's political views?
7. How does the General treat Prince Myshkin?
8. What happens to Myshkin when Rogozhin tries to kill him?
9. How does Aglaya react to Ganja's letter?
10. What does Myskhin's view of dueling seem to be?
Discuss death in the novel.
1) Discuss Hippolite's attempted suicide and impending death from disease. How does Hippolite perceive death? How does he deal with impending death?
2) Discuss General Ivolgin's death from stroke. What does death mean to the General and those around him? What perspective does his first stroke and eventual death put on his disagreement with Lebedev?
3) Discuss Nastassya's death. What leads up to her death? What does her death mean to Rogozhin and to Myshkin? What does death mean to Nastassya?
Discuss religion in the novel.
1) What stories do the characters tell about religion and about God? What do these stories mean? Why does the author include them in the novel?
2) What do Myshkin and Rogozhin say about the religious painting in Rogozhin's house? What is the significance of the painting? Does it reveal anything about Rogozhin's relationship to religion? What about the crosses that the two men exchange? What is the religious significance of the crosses?
3) How does Myshkin react when he learns his benefactor turned to Catholicism before his death? What does this say about Myshkin's attitude toward religion? How is Myshkin's attitude toward religion different than the other characters' attitudes?
Nastassya and Aglyana are the two main female characters in the novel. Compare these two characters.
1) In what ways does Nastassya parallel Rogozhin in the novel? In what ways does Aglyana parallel Myshkin? How are the relationships between the two major male characters and the two major female characters similar and different?
2) Compare Nastassya and Aglyana. How are their home lives and upbringing similar and different? How are they perceived by others? How do others affect their actions?
3) Compare the eventual fates of Nastassya and Aglyana. Why is Aglyana the only major character to go on and live a normal life after the climax of the novel? What does this say about Aglyana's emotions and character?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)