|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Myshkin think is following him?
2. How does the party in general react to Rogozhin's arrival?
3. What state is Rogozhin in when he visits Ganja's house on Myshkin's first night there?
4. What does Rogozhin say his reason is for traveling to Russia?
5. What does Ganja do when Madam Yephanchin confronts him about what she suspects her husband is doing behind her back?
Short Essay Questions
1. What stories does Myshkin tell Rogozhin about religion?
2. How does the footman treat Prince Myshkin when he first arrives at the Yephanchins' house?
3. How does Aglaya react to Ganja's letter?
4. What does Myshkin say that he does not care about, before he proposes to Nastassya?
5. What does Ferdyshchenko do with his ill-gotten gains?
6. What does Rogozhin describe as having happened between him and Nastassya before she left him?
7. What does Myshkin predict about Rogozhin and Nastassya Filippovna?
8. How does Myshkin respond when Adelaide asks him about falling in love?
9. What does Ferdyshchenko describe doing to make sure someone else is blamed for his own theft?
10. How does Ganja come to blows with Myshkin, and how does Myshkin respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss beauty and women in the novel.
1) How do the characters treat beautiful women differently from women who are not beautiful, or who are less beautiful? How is beauty valued in the society and by Myshkin?
2) Why is Nastassya introduced to Myshkin first by a picture? What does Myshkin know about Nastassya, based on her picture? How does Nastassya's beauty affect her life and her character?
3) How does Aglaya's beauty affect her life and her character? Does it change her personality? How would her life be different if she were not beautiful?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role that society's criticism and approval plays in the characters' lives in the novel.
1) What types of actions are criticized and approved of by society in the novel? How does the society as a whole make its criticism or approval felt to the characters?
2) How do characters respond to societal pressure or societal disapproval? How does it influence characters' actions? How do the characters respond to society's expectations and approval? Do characters actively try to gain societal approval?
3) How is Myshkin perceived by society? When and how is he criticized or approved? How does societal criticism or approval affect Myshkin?
Essay Topic 3
Much of the action in the novel happens at parties and social gatherings. Discuss the importance of parties and social gatherings in the novel.
1) Why does so much of the action of the novel take place at parties and social gatherings? How do the characters react differently in these social situations, than in private?
2) What role do parties and social gatherings fulfill in the culture of St. Petersburg? How do they affect the social relationships and social order of the characters?
3) How are events at parties and social gatherings reviewed and critiqued by the people attending the gatherings? How does this change the consequences of those events, which are witnessed by groups of people?
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)