|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the General's opinion of Rogozhin?
2. What does Myshkin learn about Nastassya's engagement to Rogozhin?
3. Who does Nastassya expect to try to get the money?
4. What is Rogozhin's explanation for why Nastassya left him?
5. What does Madam Yephachin tell Myshkin to get for her?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Madam Yephanchin react to Myshkin going off to collect his inheritance?
2. How do the Yephanchins' three daughters react to Myshkin?
3. How does Myshkin describe Aglaya?
4. What does Myshkin predict about Rogozhin and Nastassya Filippovna?
5. What does Myshkin feel when he gets off the train arriving in St. Petersburg?
6. How does Ganja's father embarrass him?
7. How does Totsky describe Nastassya's behavior as she grew up?
8. How does the footman treat Prince Myshkin when he first arrives at the Yephanchins' house?
9. What does Nastassya say initially to Myshkin's proposal?
10. Why is Ganja marrying Nastassya?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Much of the action in the novel happens at parties and social gatherings. Discuss the importance of parties and social gatherings in the novel.
1) Why does so much of the action of the novel take place at parties and social gatherings? How do the characters react differently in these social situations, than in private?
2) What role do parties and social gatherings fulfill in the culture of St. Petersburg? How do they affect the social relationships and social order of the characters?
3) How are events at parties and social gatherings reviewed and critiqued by the people attending the gatherings? How does this change the consequences of those events, which are witnessed by groups of people?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of family in the characters' lives.
1) How do the characters' families and social positions affect their lives? How do family relationships affect how the characters are accepted by society?
2) How does it affect Nastassya that her parents are killed when she is young? How do the characters' upbringings affect their personalities and attitudes?
3) How do the characters' families try to influence the characters' lives and decisions? What forces do families use to influence family members' behavior.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role that society's criticism and approval plays in the characters' lives in the novel.
1) What types of actions are criticized and approved of by society in the novel? How does the society as a whole make its criticism or approval felt to the characters?
2) How do characters respond to societal pressure or societal disapproval? How does it influence characters' actions? How do the characters respond to society's expectations and approval? Do characters actively try to gain societal approval?
3) How is Myshkin perceived by society? When and how is he criticized or approved? How does societal criticism or approval affect Myshkin?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)