|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Totsky's story about?
(a) Stealing a woman's affections.
(b) Blackmailing a priest.
(c) Seducing an older woman for money.
(d) Sending a false letter to a woman's husband.
2. Who gives Aglaya a letter from Myshkin?
3. What does Nastassya use to retrieve the money?
(a) She uses a bowl.
(b) She has a servant get it.
(c) She uses tongs.
(d) She uses her hands.
4. What does Nastassya say about Myshkin after his proposal?
(a) She says he is not an idiot afterall.
(b) She says he is an idiot.
(c) She says he only pretends to be an idiot.
(d) She says at least he is a rich idiot.
5. How long ago did Totsky take in Nastassya as his ward?
(a) Twelve years.
(b) Twenty-four years.
(c) Seven years.
(d) Eighteen years.
6. What does Myshkin think of the picture of Nastassya Filippovna?
(a) He thinks she looks beautiful and happy.
(b) He thinks she looks beautiful but tragic.
(c) He thinks she looks unpleasant but happy.
(d) He thinks she looks unpleasant and sad.
7. What does Myshkin threaten to do, after Ganja calls him an idiot?
(a) Reveal what he's been doing to Madam Yephanchin.
(b) Pay for his own lodgings elsewhere.
(c) Tell General Yephanchin what Ganja has said.
(d) Fight Ganja in a duel of honor.
8. Who does the visitor mistake Myshkin for?
(a) A footman.
(b) A man courting Ganja's sister.
(c) A relative of Ganja's.
(d) A tradesman selling kitchenware.
9. How did the General's wife react to his gift to Nastassya Filoppovna?
(a) She never found out about it.
(b) She was upset.
(c) She was happy.
(d) She didn't care.
10. What is Myshkin's explanation for why Nastassya left Rogozhin?
(a) She wants more money than Rogozhin can give her.
(b) She is secretly in love with someone else.
(c) She can't abide the idea of marrying anyone.
(d) She can't deal with Rogozhin's paranoia.
11. What state is Rogozhin in when he visits Ganja's house on Myshkin's first night there?
(a) He is drunk.
(b) He is injured and in need of a doctor.
(c) He is crying uncontrollably.
(d) He is exhausted and falling asleep.
12. What does Ganja ask Aglaya to do?
(a) Arrange a marriage for her sister.
(b) Run away to marry Myshkin.
(c) Save him from marrying Nastassya.
(d) Prevent her mother from learning what her father is doing.
13. Where does Rogozhin invite Prince Myshkin?
(a) To his father's funeral service.
(b) To meet Nastassya Flippovna.
(c) To a formal ball.
(d) To a state dinner.
14. What happens to Ganja's father while Myshkin is away?
(a) Ganja's father is arrested for public indecency.
(b) Ganja's father is put into debtor's prison.
(c) Ganja's father falls ill and is in the hospital.
(d) Ganja's father dies of alcohol poisoning.
15. What does Ganja do when Madam Yephanchin confronts him about what she suspects her husband is doing behind her back?
(a) He admits that she is right.
(b) He promises to search her husband's papers for any evidence.
(c) He denies any knowledge of it.
(d) He says that he shares her suspicions but doesn't know for a fact it's true.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Ganja, after Nastassya gives up Rogozhin's money?
2. What do Ganja and his family argue about?
3. What does Madam Yephachin tell Myshkin to get for her?
4. What reason does Ganja give for wanting Myshkin as a friend?
5. Who does the General suggest that Prince Myshkin stay with?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)