|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Myshkin plan to live?
(a) He arranges to rent Lebedyev's house in Palovsk.
(b) He arranges to buy a house next to Ganja's.
(c) He arranges to stay with Rogozhin permanently.
(d) He arranges to live with the Yephanchins.
2. What does Myshkin threaten to do, after Ganja calls him an idiot?
(a) Fight Ganja in a duel of honor.
(b) Reveal what he's been doing to Madam Yephanchin.
(c) Tell General Yephanchin what Ganja has said.
(d) Pay for his own lodgings elsewhere.
3. Who does the General offer Totsky to marry?
(a) His daughter Aglaya.
(b) His daugher Alexandra.
(c) Nastassya Filippovna.
(d) His daughter Adelaida.
4. How does the party react to Ferdyshchenko's story?
(a) They are mildly amused.
(b) They are upset.
(c) They think it's hilarious.
(d) They sympathize with Ferdyshchenko.
5. How long is Myshkin away from St. Petersburg?
(a) Eighteen months.
(b) Six months.
(c) Two years.
(d) One year.
6. What is Totsky's story about?
(a) Blackmailing a priest.
(b) Seducing an older woman for money.
(c) Sending a false letter to a woman's husband.
(d) Stealing a woman's affections.
7. What happens to Ganja's father while Myshkin is away?
(a) Ganja's father is put into debtor's prison.
(b) Ganja's father is arrested for public indecency.
(c) Ganja's father falls ill and is in the hospital.
(d) Ganja's father dies of alcohol poisoning.
8. What is the General's plan for his daughter Aglaya?
(a) He plans her to be educated as an artist.
(b) He plans her to be educated as a teacher.
(c) He plans her to marry a rich man.
(d) He plans her to be sent to a convent.
9. What do Ganja and his family argue about?
(a) Ganja's plans to move to a new home.
(b) Ganja bringing Myshkin home with him.
(c) Ganja's plans to marry Nastassya.
(d) Ganja's job working for General Yephanchin.
10. Has Nastassya met Ganja's family before her arrival on Myshkin's first night there?
(a) Yes, she has met them numerous times.
(b) No, and the family leaves before Nastassya arrives.
(c) Yes, she has met them once.
(d) No, it is their first meeting.
11. What does Myshkin learn about Nastassya's engagement to Rogozhin?
(a) Nastassya is rumored to have run off with Rogozhin without marrying him.
(b) Nastassya is rumored to have left Rogozhin on their wedding day.
(c) Nastassya is rumored to have married Rogozhin and then left him a week later.
(d) Nastassya is rumored to have married Rogozhin and left the country with him.
12. What does Myshkin think of the picture of Nastassya Filippovna?
(a) He thinks she looks beautiful but tragic.
(b) He thinks she looks unpleasant and sad.
(c) He thinks she looks unpleasant but happy.
(d) He thinks she looks beautiful and happy.
13. Whose house does Myshkin go to when he first arrives back in St. Petersburg?
(a) Lebedev's house.
(b) Rogozhin's house.
(c) Ganja's house.
(d) The Yephanchins' house.
14. Who does the General suggest that Prince Myshkin stay with?
(b) Nastassya Filippovna.
(c) The Yephanchins.
15. Whose death does Yephanchin tell a story about?
(a) His schoolteacher.
(b) His sister.
(c) His landlady.
(d) His mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gets fired in Ferdyshchenko's story?
2. What does Ganja do when Madam Yephanchin confronts him about what she suspects her husband is doing behind her back?
3. How does Madame Yephanchin react to Myshkin?
4. What does Ganja think of Myshkin, after he's gotten to know him?
5. How long ago did Totsky take in Nastassya as his ward?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)