|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 80, why does Glinn refuse to entertain the idea that the meteorite's cradle could fail?
2. In Chapter 78, what happens each time the Rolvaag rolls against the waves?
3. In Chapter 83, who accompanies Glinn to the abandoned cargo hold?
4. In Chapter 45, Glinn makes a comment about the mysterious dead man in Spanish. What does this statement suggest to both McFarlane and the reader?
5. In Chapter 60, what order is given to the work crew in regards to their interaction with the meteorite?
Short Essay Questions
1. What nautical destination does Glinn assume will cause the Almirante Ramirez stop its pursuit of the Rolvaag? Why? Does it?
2. How does Glinn's team assertain that the dead body is not the guard they thought it was? Who does Glinn believe this man is? What complication does this pose?
3. In Chapter 82 Lloyd and McFarlane change their position on the meteorite. Who refuses to listen? What happens next?
4. What revelation does Glinn make in chapter 68 that explains Vallenar's odd behavior?
5. What is Garza and his team doing in the cargo hold in Chapter 60? What danger does this pose?
6. How does Britton feel about the actions Glinn took against her in Chapter 52 as described in Chapter 53? Who offers his loyal support to Britton? How does this make her feel?
7. How does Vallenar react to Glinn's actions, as shown in Chapter 59? What does Vallenar plan to do next?
8. Why does Britton suggest in Chapter 57 that they will all go to jail when they return to America? What is Glinn's response?
9. Why does Glinn once again take command of the bridge in Chapter 57? What is the result?
10. In Chapter 65, what danger does Glinn identify for the Rolvaag? What action does he recommend taking against it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following in detail citing examples from the novel:
3) Point of view
Essay Topic 2
Who is Britton? What was the nature of the scandal that discredited her as a ships captain? Was Britton guilty of the crime she was accused of? Was Britton unfairly treated for some reason? Explain. Why does Glinn chose Britton as the captain of the Rolvaag? Why does Britton take the job? For what reason is Britton's career important to her at this point in her life? What fear does Britton continuously express while on board the Rolvaag? What drink does Britton ban from the Rolvaag? How does the crew react to this? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Why does Lloyd fly a helicopter onto the deck of the Rolvaag? What does Lloyd want to be present for? Why does Lloyd insist on going to Isla Desolacion himself? Who insists on going with him? For what reason? What story does Puppup tell as the men make their way to the location where Masangkay found the meteorite? How does this story relate to the meteorite? What does McFarlane insist on doing with the body of Masangkay? How does Glinn react to this request? What does Glinn later do with the body of Masangkay?
This section contains 1,347 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)