|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 48, what threat does Vallenar make when Glinn refuses to return Timmer to him?
2. In Chapter 84, what is happening to the life boats that causes concern to the survivors?
3. In Chapter 59, why is the box holding spare ship parts marked 40mm ordnance?
4. In Chapter 77, what does Britton see on the edge of the ice island above the Rolvaag?
5. In Chapter 60, who gets credit for keeping the cradle design simple in order to make the welding quick?
Essay Topic 1
Why does Lloyd fly a helicopter onto the deck of the Rolvaag? What does Lloyd want to be present for? Why does Lloyd insist on going to Isla Desolacion himself? Who insists on going with him? For what reason? What story does Puppup tell as the men make their way to the location where Masangkay found the meteorite? How does this story relate to the meteorite? What does McFarlane insist on doing with the body of Masangkay? How does Glinn react to this request? What does Glinn later do with the body of Masangkay?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following themes in detail citing examples from the novel:
2) Desire to succeed
Essay Topic 3
How is the meteorite removed from the island? What method does Glinn's group use to lift the meteorite from the hole in the ground? How do they move the meteorite from one side of the island to the other? How do they move the meteorite from a bluff above the ship to the ship's cargo hold? Why do they decide to do this under the cover of fog? What must be done to keep the meteorite from rolling around in the cargo hold? What happens while this task is being completed? For what reason?
This section contains 1,650 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)