|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 65, what does Glinn realize the Almirante Ramirez has really done?
2. In Chapter 60, what order is given to the work crew in regards to their interaction with the meteorite?
3. In Chapter 72, why does Glinn instruct his men to turn off the radar jamming equipment and ask Britton to cut the engines?
4. What does McFarlane tell Glinn in chapter 47 when he asks how safe the meteorite is?
5. In Chapter 47, who does McFarlane point out is blocking the only exit out of the channel?
Short Essay Questions
1. How many people got off the Rolvaag as revealed in Chapter 84? How many died?
2. In Chapter 66, one of Vallenar's men refuses to follow an order based on what information? What does Vallenar do about this insubordination?
3. What is Garza and his team doing in the cargo hold in Chapter 60? What danger does this pose?
4. In Chapter 65, what danger does Glinn identify for the Rolvaag? What action does he recommend taking against it?
5. What causes Glinn's death in Chapter 83? What fantasy does he have as he dies?
6. What happened in the cargo hold that caused the deaths of most of Garza's men? Who does Garza blame? Who does McFarlane blame?
7. Where does Glinn go in Chapter 48? What is he wearing that suggests he expects danger on this trip?
8. In Chapter 82 Lloyd and McFarlane change their position on the meteorite. Who refuses to listen? What happens next?
9. What concerns does Glinn have about continuing the expedition in Chapter 46? What concerns does Britton express in the same chapter?
10. How does Glinn's team assertain that the dead body is not the guard they thought it was? Who does Glinn believe this man is? What complication does this pose?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Masangkay? What is he doing on this isolated island? What is he hoping to find? What does he find? Why does he touch it? What is the weather like when Masangkay finds this item? Does this have an impact on what happens when Masangkay touches this item? What is it later revealed Masangkay's cause of death was? How does this relate to the description of Masangkay's death in the first chapter? What warning does Masangkay's death give to the reader?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Britton? What was the nature of the scandal that discredited her as a ships captain? Was Britton guilty of the crime she was accused of? Was Britton unfairly treated for some reason? Explain. Why does Glinn chose Britton as the captain of the Rolvaag? Why does Britton take the job? For what reason is Britton's career important to her at this point in her life? What fear does Britton continuously express while on board the Rolvaag? What drink does Britton ban from the Rolvaag? How does the crew react to this? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Why does Lloyd fly a helicopter onto the deck of the Rolvaag? What does Lloyd want to be present for? Why does Lloyd insist on going to Isla Desolacion himself? Who insists on going with him? For what reason? What story does Puppup tell as the men make their way to the location where Masangkay found the meteorite? How does this story relate to the meteorite? What does McFarlane insist on doing with the body of Masangkay? How does Glinn react to this request? What does Glinn later do with the body of Masangkay?
This section contains 1,404 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)