|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 84, what is happening to the life boats that causes concern to the survivors?
2. In Chapter 66, why does a man on the Almirante Ramirez refuses a direct order?
3. In Chapter 51, what does the Almirante Ramirez do that causes tension on the Rolvaag's bridge?
4. In Chapter 65, what does Glinn realize the Almirante Ramirez has really done?
5. In Chapter 72, why does Glinn instruct his men to turn off the radar jamming equipment and ask Britton to cut the engines?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened in the cargo hold that caused the deaths of most of Garza's men? Who does Garza blame? Who does McFarlane blame?
2. When McFarlane is on the phone with Lloyd in Chapter 49 he explains when the meteorite will be moved and learns about an impending problem for the expedition. McFarlane also senses that Lloyd is planning something. How will the meteorite be moved, what impending problem is coming, and what is Lloyd up to?
3. What is Garza and his team doing in the cargo hold in Chapter 60? What danger does this pose?
4. What revelation does Glinn make in chapter 68 that explains Vallenar's odd behavior?
5. What difficulties is the Almirante Ramirez suffering in Chapter 70 that makes its pursuit of the Rolvaag more difficult?
6. How does Glinn's team assertain that the dead body is not the guard they thought it was? Who does Glinn believe this man is? What complication does this pose?
7. What, as described in Chapter 50, is Vallenar's plan in regards to the Rolvaag?
8. In Chapter 66, one of Vallenar's men refuses to follow an order based on what information? What does Vallenar do about this insubordination?
9. Why does Britton suggest in Chapter 57 that they will all go to jail when they return to America? What is Glinn's response?
10. Why does Glinn once again take command of the bridge in Chapter 57? What is the result?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following relationships:
1) Glinn and Britton
2) Vallenar and Timmer
3) McFarlane and Amira
4) Lloyd and Glinn.
Essay Topic 2
Who is Britton? What was the nature of the scandal that discredited her as a ships captain? Was Britton guilty of the crime she was accused of? Was Britton unfairly treated for some reason? Explain. Why does Glinn chose Britton as the captain of the Rolvaag? Why does Britton take the job? For what reason is Britton's career important to her at this point in her life? What fear does Britton continuously express while on board the Rolvaag? What drink does Britton ban from the Rolvaag? How does the crew react to this? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Who is Timmer? Why does he go to Isla Desolacion? What does he do once he reaches the camp where the meteorite is located? What does he find when he enters the tunnel under the meteorite? Why does Timmer touch the meteorite? What happens when he does? Why? Who does Glinn and his crew think Timmer is when they find his burned body? How do they learn they are wrong? Why does Glinn tell Vallenar that Timmer is in the brig on board the Rolvaag? What relationship does Glinn later realize Vallenar shared with Timmer?
This section contains 1,424 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)