|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 83, who accompanies Glinn to the abandoned cargo hold?
2. In Chapter 77, what does Britton believe will happen once the Rolvaag stops moving forward?
3. In Chapter 81, who does Lloyd threaten to kill with his bares hands should this person use the dead man switch?
4. In Chapter 47, what reason does Glinn give McFarlane for keeping in communications with Lloyd?
5. In Chapter 72, why does Glinn instruct his men to turn off the radar jamming equipment and ask Britton to cut the engines?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Vallenar react to Glinn's actions, as shown in Chapter 59? What does Vallenar plan to do next?
2. What revelation does Glinn make in chapter 68 that explains Vallenar's odd behavior?
3. What causes Glinn's death in Chapter 83? What fantasy does he have as he dies?
4. What assumption does Vallenar make in Chapter 56 when he realizes the Rolvaag is leaving Isle Desolacion? What does he do?
5. What news does McFarlane bring the bridge in Chapter 72? What does Glinn do about it?
6. What concerns does Glinn have about continuing the expedition in Chapter 46? What concerns does Britton express in the same chapter?
7. What conclusion does McFarlane announce to Lloyd in the final chapter of the book? Is this conclusion accurate.
8. What happened in the cargo hold that caused the deaths of most of Garza's men? Who does Garza blame? Who does McFarlane blame?
9. What item does Rachel Amira give to McFarlane in the lifeboat? What does she ask McFarlane to do with it?
10. What nautical destination does Glinn assume will cause the Almirante Ramirez stop its pursuit of the Rolvaag? Why? Does it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Glinn force Britton to remain at Isla Desolacion when the proximity of Vallenar's ship makes her nervous? How does he force her to remain? Why does Britton allow Glinn to take control of the Rolvaag on several occasions, most often when Vallenar's ship is in pursuit of the Rolvaag? Is Glinn's advice to Britton good advice? What happens to the Rolvaag in the end? Whose fault is it? How might this result have been prevented?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following character relationships in detail:
1) McFarlane and Masangkay
2) Lloyd and McFarlane
3) Lloyd and Glinn
4) Glinn and McFarlane.
Essay Topic 3
Who is Masangkay? What is he doing on this isolated island? What is he hoping to find? What does he find? Why does he touch it? What is the weather like when Masangkay finds this item? Does this have an impact on what happens when Masangkay touches this item? What is it later revealed Masangkay's cause of death was? How does this relate to the description of Masangkay's death in the first chapter? What warning does Masangkay's death give to the reader?
This section contains 1,140 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)