|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 62, how many men did the Almirante Ramirez lose in the attempt to fix the propellers?
2. In Chapter 51, Glinn reveals that EES controls what vital component of the Rolvaag?
3. In Chapter 78, what happens each time the Rolvaag rolls against the waves?
4. In Chapter 61, what is Britton counting down?
5. In Chapter 63, who is the first person interviewed in the investigation into the discharge of the meteorite?
Short Essay Questions
1. What nautical destination does Glinn assume will cause the Almirante Ramirez stop its pursuit of the Rolvaag? Why? Does it?
2. What conclusion does McFarlane announce to Lloyd in the final chapter of the book? Is this conclusion accurate.
3. How does Vallenar react to Glinn's actions, as shown in Chapter 59? What does Vallenar plan to do next?
4. What happened in the cargo hold that caused the deaths of most of Garza's men? Who does Garza blame? Who does McFarlane blame?
5. When McFarlane is on the phone with Lloyd in Chapter 49 he explains when the meteorite will be moved and learns about an impending problem for the expedition. McFarlane also senses that Lloyd is planning something. How will the meteorite be moved, what impending problem is coming, and what is Lloyd up to?
6. What, as described in Chapter 50, is Vallenar's plan in regards to the Rolvaag?
7. In Chapter 80 Britton suggests it is time to use the dead man switch. What has caused her to come to this conclusion? What is the reaction of those around her?
8. What assumption does Vallenar make in Chapter 56 when he realizes the Rolvaag is leaving Isle Desolacion? What does he do?
9. What causes Glinn's death in Chapter 83? What fantasy does he have as he dies?
10. Why does Britton suggest in Chapter 57 that they will all go to jail when they return to America? What is Glinn's response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following relationships:
1) Glinn and Britton
2) Vallenar and Timmer
3) McFarlane and Amira
4) Lloyd and Glinn.
Essay Topic 2
What does the team discover when they expose the meteorite? What color is it? Why is this unusual? What is Amira and McFarlane's hypothesis about the color of the meteorite? What else is unusual about the meteorite? How do they discover it is much heavier than expected? What problems does this pose? Why does McFarlane want a sample of the meteorite? What happens when he tries to drill into it? How does McFarlane finally get a sample of the meteorite? What does he learn from this?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following character relationships in detail:
1) McFarlane and Masangkay
2) Lloyd and McFarlane
3) Lloyd and Glinn
4) Glinn and McFarlane.
This section contains 1,274 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)