|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 60, what order is given to the work crew in regards to their interaction with the meteorite?
2. In Chapter 78, how long can the Rolvaag expect to have auxiliary power?
3. In Chapter 46, what slows the progress of the meteorite as it is moved from its previous location to the bluffs above the Rolvaag?
4. In Chapter 60, what happens in the seconds before the meteorite sets off yet another electrical surge?
5. In Chapter 61, what item does Glinn reveal he brought an entire case of on board the Rolvaag?
Short Essay Questions
1. What conclusion does McFarlane announce to Lloyd in the final chapter of the book? Is this conclusion accurate.
2. Where is the Rolvaag hit, as determined by Britton in Chapter 75? What does this damage suggest to Britton?
3. How does Vallenar react to Glinn's actions, as shown in Chapter 59? What does Vallenar plan to do next?
4. What is Garza and his team doing in the cargo hold in Chapter 60? What danger does this pose?
5. What assumption does Vallenar make in Chapter 56 when he realizes the Rolvaag is leaving Isle Desolacion? What does he do?
6. What difficulties is the Almirante Ramirez suffering in Chapter 70 that makes its pursuit of the Rolvaag more difficult?
7. When McFarlane is on the phone with Lloyd in Chapter 49 he explains when the meteorite will be moved and learns about an impending problem for the expedition. McFarlane also senses that Lloyd is planning something. How will the meteorite be moved, what impending problem is coming, and what is Lloyd up to?
8. What happens in Chapter 77 when the Almirante Ramirez comes around the corner of the ice island and faces the Rolvaag?
9. What nautical destination does Glinn assume will cause the Almirante Ramirez stop its pursuit of the Rolvaag? Why? Does it?
10. Where does Glinn advise Britton to take the ship in Chapter 74? What argument does Britton make against this plan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Timmer? Why does he go to Isla Desolacion? What does he do once he reaches the camp where the meteorite is located? What does he find when he enters the tunnel under the meteorite? Why does Timmer touch the meteorite? What happens when he does? Why? Who does Glinn and his crew think Timmer is when they find his burned body? How do they learn they are wrong? Why does Glinn tell Vallenar that Timmer is in the brig on board the Rolvaag? What relationship does Glinn later realize Vallenar shared with Timmer?
Essay Topic 2
What does the team discover when they expose the meteorite? What color is it? Why is this unusual? What is Amira and McFarlane's hypothesis about the color of the meteorite? What else is unusual about the meteorite? How do they discover it is much heavier than expected? What problems does this pose? Why does McFarlane want a sample of the meteorite? What happens when he tries to drill into it? How does McFarlane finally get a sample of the meteorite? What does he learn from this?
Essay Topic 3
What happens once the crew abandons the Rolvaag? Why were they forced to abandon ship in the first place? Where do they go? How do they expect to get rescued? What happens the following morning? What does Amira give to McFarlane? For what reason? What happens to Amira? What happens to McFarlane? What happens to Lloyd? Is this an appropriate result for Lloyd? What does McFarlane realize the meteorite was? Is this accurate information or is McFarlane mentally unbalanced because of the trauma of the ship sinking?
This section contains 1,338 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)