|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 69, what does Amira suggest set off the electrical charge?
2. In Chapter 78, what happens each time the Rolvaag rolls against the waves?
3. In Chapter 71, why does Amira confess to McFarlane that she wants to continue studying the meteorite even after they arrive back in the States?
4. In Chapter 46, what slows the progress of the meteorite as it is moved from its previous location to the bluffs above the Rolvaag?
5. In Chapter 64, where does Britton plan to take the Rolvag out of Drake Passage?
Short Essay Questions
1. What difficulties is the Almirante Ramirez suffering in Chapter 70 that makes its pursuit of the Rolvaag more difficult?
2. Where does Glinn go in Chapter 48? What is he wearing that suggests he expects danger on this trip?
3. In Chapter 66, one of Vallenar's men refuses to follow an order based on what information? What does Vallenar do about this insubordination?
4. What happens in Chapter 77 when the Almirante Ramirez comes around the corner of the ice island and faces the Rolvaag?
5. What happened in the cargo hold that caused the deaths of most of Garza's men? Who does Garza blame? Who does McFarlane blame?
6. Why does Glinn once again take command of the bridge in Chapter 57? What is the result?
7. When McFarlane is on the phone with Lloyd in Chapter 49 he explains when the meteorite will be moved and learns about an impending problem for the expedition. McFarlane also senses that Lloyd is planning something. How will the meteorite be moved, what impending problem is coming, and what is Lloyd up to?
8. What, as described in Chapter 50, is Vallenar's plan in regards to the Rolvaag?
9. What nautical destination does Glinn assume will cause the Almirante Ramirez stop its pursuit of the Rolvaag? Why? Does it?
10. How does Britton feel about the actions Glinn took against her in Chapter 52 as described in Chapter 53? Who offers his loyal support to Britton? How does this make her feel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following in detail citing examples from the novel:
3) Point of view
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following themes in detail citing examples from the novel:
2) Desire to succeed
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following relationships:
1) Glinn and Britton
2) Vallenar and Timmer
3) McFarlane and Amira
4) Lloyd and Glinn.
This section contains 1,304 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)