|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 53 Britton realizes Glinn is using what feature of the ship to help raise the ship to the level of the bluff in order to move the meteorite onto the tower built out of the cargo hold to safely lower the meteorite into the ship?
2. In Chapter 84, what is happening to the life boats that causes concern to the survivors?
3. How long does it take to move the meteorite to the bluffs overlooking the Rolvaag?
4. In Chapter 64, Glinn repeatedly suggests Vallenar will do what?
5. In Chapter 63, who is the first person interviewed in the investigation into the discharge of the meteorite?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened in the cargo hold that caused the deaths of most of Garza's men? Who does Garza blame? Who does McFarlane blame?
2. What happens in Chapter 77 when the Almirante Ramirez comes around the corner of the ice island and faces the Rolvaag?
3. Where is the Rolvaag hit, as determined by Britton in Chapter 75? What does this damage suggest to Britton?
4. In Chapter 80 Britton suggests it is time to use the dead man switch. What has caused her to come to this conclusion? What is the reaction of those around her?
5. What assumption does Vallenar make in Chapter 56 when he realizes the Rolvaag is leaving Isle Desolacion? What does he do?
6. What news does McFarlane bring the bridge in Chapter 72? What does Glinn do about it?
7. What nautical destination does Glinn assume will cause the Almirante Ramirez stop its pursuit of the Rolvaag? Why? Does it?
8. What causes Glinn's death in Chapter 83? What fantasy does he have as he dies?
9. How many people got off the Rolvaag as revealed in Chapter 84? How many died?
10. In Chapter 69, what does McFarlane realized caused the electrical discharge from the meteorite in the cargo hold? What does he plan to do about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following style elements in detail, discussing how they impact the overall plot of the novel. Cite examples from the novel to support your conclusions:
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following relationships:
1) Glinn and Britton
2) Vallenar and Timmer
3) McFarlane and Amira
4) Lloyd and Glinn.
Essay Topic 3
How do the writers of this novel structure their novel? For what reason? What benefit is there in super short chapters? What benefit is there in multiple view points? How are these elements a deterrent to the comprehension of the novel? How do the writers reveal the true nature of the meteorite? Why does it take the characters so long to figure out the nature of the meteorite? How do the writers use this method of revelation to build suspense in the novel?
This section contains 1,262 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)