|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 77, what does Glinn express a desire to learn from Britton?
2. In Chapter 71, why can McFarlane not use his hand held radio to contact the bridge?
3. In Chapter 77, what does Britton believe will happen once the Rolvaag stops moving forward?
4. In Chapter 58, what did Lloyd do throughout the fight with the Almirante Ramirez?
5. In Chapter 54, who does Lloyd think is the only person who can get the meteorite out of Chile?
Short Essay Questions
1. What concerns does Glinn have about continuing the expedition in Chapter 46? What concerns does Britton express in the same chapter?
2. Where does Glinn go in Chapter 48? What is he wearing that suggests he expects danger on this trip?
3. What revelation does Glinn make in chapter 68 that explains Vallenar's odd behavior?
4. In Chapter 80 Britton suggests it is time to use the dead man switch. What has caused her to come to this conclusion? What is the reaction of those around her?
5. What does McFarlane hypothesize caused the massive electrical surge that knocked out the equipment on Isla Desolacion? What argument does Lloyd make against this theory?
6. What assumption does Vallenar make in Chapter 56 when he realizes the Rolvaag is leaving Isle Desolacion? What does he do?
7. What difficulties is the Almirante Ramirez suffering in Chapter 70 that makes its pursuit of the Rolvaag more difficult?
8. In Chapter 65, what danger does Glinn identify for the Rolvaag? What action does he recommend taking against it?
9. What happens in Chapter 77 when the Almirante Ramirez comes around the corner of the ice island and faces the Rolvaag?
10. In Chapter 69, what does McFarlane realized caused the electrical discharge from the meteorite in the cargo hold? What does he plan to do about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Glinn force Britton to remain at Isla Desolacion when the proximity of Vallenar's ship makes her nervous? How does he force her to remain? Why does Britton allow Glinn to take control of the Rolvaag on several occasions, most often when Vallenar's ship is in pursuit of the Rolvaag? Is Glinn's advice to Britton good advice? What happens to the Rolvaag in the end? Whose fault is it? How might this result have been prevented?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following style elements in detail, discussing how they impact the overall plot of the novel. Cite examples from the novel to support your conclusions:
Essay Topic 3
Who is Palmer Lloyd? What is he seen buying in the early chapters of the novel? What is unusual about this purchase? What does this say about Palmer Lloyd? What does the reader later learn that Lloyd is building? What is the purpose of this building? What does the purpose of this building suggest about the conflict that will propel the plot of this novel? What will Lloyd put in this building? What does he ask McFarlane to help him procure for this building? What does Lloyd plan to do with this item?
This section contains 1,386 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)