|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 64, where does Britton plan to take the Rolvag out of Drake Passage?
2. In Chapter 58, who does Lloyd give ultimate credit to for the success of the recovery of the meteorite?
3. In Chapter 59, what orders does Vallenar believe his men are awaiting?
4. In Chapter 46, what slows the progress of the meteorite as it is moved from its previous location to the bluffs above the Rolvaag?
5. In Chapter 70, what is Vallenar's greatest fear as the waves begin to take their toll on his ship?
Short Essay Questions
1. What assumption does Vallenar make in Chapter 56 when he realizes the Rolvaag is leaving Isle Desolacion? What does he do?
2. What does McFarlane hypothesize caused the massive electrical surge that knocked out the equipment on Isla Desolacion? What argument does Lloyd make against this theory?
3. What is Garza and his team doing in the cargo hold in Chapter 60? What danger does this pose?
4. How many people got off the Rolvaag as revealed in Chapter 84? How many died?
5. When McFarlane is on the phone with Lloyd in Chapter 49 he explains when the meteorite will be moved and learns about an impending problem for the expedition. McFarlane also senses that Lloyd is planning something. How will the meteorite be moved, what impending problem is coming, and what is Lloyd up to?
6. What causes Glinn's death in Chapter 83? What fantasy does he have as he dies?
7. How does Glinn's team assertain that the dead body is not the guard they thought it was? Who does Glinn believe this man is? What complication does this pose?
8. What difficulties is the Almirante Ramirez suffering in Chapter 70 that makes its pursuit of the Rolvaag more difficult?
9. How does Vallenar react to Glinn's actions, as shown in Chapter 59? What does Vallenar plan to do next?
10. Where does Glinn go in Chapter 48? What is he wearing that suggests he expects danger on this trip?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following character relationships in detail:
1) McFarlane and Masangkay
2) Lloyd and McFarlane
3) Lloyd and Glinn
4) Glinn and McFarlane.
Essay Topic 2
Who is Timmer? Why does he go to Isla Desolacion? What does he do once he reaches the camp where the meteorite is located? What does he find when he enters the tunnel under the meteorite? Why does Timmer touch the meteorite? What happens when he does? Why? Who does Glinn and his crew think Timmer is when they find his burned body? How do they learn they are wrong? Why does Glinn tell Vallenar that Timmer is in the brig on board the Rolvaag? What relationship does Glinn later realize Vallenar shared with Timmer?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Palmer Lloyd? What is he seen buying in the early chapters of the novel? What is unusual about this purchase? What does this say about Palmer Lloyd? What does the reader later learn that Lloyd is building? What is the purpose of this building? What does the purpose of this building suggest about the conflict that will propel the plot of this novel? What will Lloyd put in this building? What does he ask McFarlane to help him procure for this building? What does Lloyd plan to do with this item?
This section contains 1,345 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)