|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 80, why does Glinn refuse to entertain the idea that the meteorite's cradle could fail?
2. In Chapter 46, Britton expresses concern about having the meteorite on her ship. How does Glinn convince her to go forward with it?
3. In Chapter 46, what event keeps Glinn and his scientists from understanding why the meteorite appears to kill when touched?
4. In Chapter 70, what is Vallenar's greatest fear as the waves begin to take their toll on his ship?
5. In Chapter 52, why does Glinn have Lloyd locked in his suite on the Rolvaag?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Glinn advise Britton to take the ship in Chapter 74? What argument does Britton make against this plan?
2. What, as described in Chapter 50, is Vallenar's plan in regards to the Rolvaag?
3. Why does Glinn once again take command of the bridge in Chapter 57? What is the result?
4. What concerns does Glinn have about continuing the expedition in Chapter 46? What concerns does Britton express in the same chapter?
5. When McFarlane is on the phone with Lloyd in Chapter 49 he explains when the meteorite will be moved and learns about an impending problem for the expedition. McFarlane also senses that Lloyd is planning something. How will the meteorite be moved, what impending problem is coming, and what is Lloyd up to?
6. Where does Glinn go in Chapter 48? What is he wearing that suggests he expects danger on this trip?
7. In Chapter 82 Lloyd and McFarlane change their position on the meteorite. Who refuses to listen? What happens next?
8. In Chapter 66, one of Vallenar's men refuses to follow an order based on what information? What does Vallenar do about this insubordination?
9. What difficulties is the Almirante Ramirez suffering in Chapter 70 that makes its pursuit of the Rolvaag more difficult?
10. What conclusion does McFarlane announce to Lloyd in the final chapter of the book? Is this conclusion accurate.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following in detail citing examples from the novel:
3) Point of view
Essay Topic 2
What does McFarlane think causes the meteorite to emit electrical pulses? What is wrong with this theory? Why does Glinn trust in McFarlane's assessment of the situation? Is this a mistake? What happens when Garza's men attempt to finish the welds on the meteorite's cradle? What does McFarlane feel caused this accident? How does McFarlane learn he was wrong? What is the true cause of this unusual element in the meteorite? How does McFarlane take measures to keep this from happening again? Does it work? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following themes in detail citing examples from the novel:
2) Desire to succeed
This section contains 1,347 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)