|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 71, why can McFarlane not use his hand held radio to contact the bridge?
2. In Chapter 60, how long does it take the crew to make most of the welds?
3. In Chapter 57, what weapons system does Glinn reveal he has placed on the Rolvaag?
4. In Chapter 45, Glinn makes a comment about the mysterious dead man in Spanish. What does this statement suggest to both McFarlane and the reader?
5. In Chapter 58, who does Lloyd give ultimate credit to for the success of the recovery of the meteorite?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens in Chapter 77 when the Almirante Ramirez comes around the corner of the ice island and faces the Rolvaag?
2. What does McFarlane hypothesize caused the massive electrical surge that knocked out the equipment on Isla Desolacion? What argument does Lloyd make against this theory?
3. How does Vallenar react to Glinn's actions, as shown in Chapter 59? What does Vallenar plan to do next?
4. Why does Britton suggest in Chapter 57 that they will all go to jail when they return to America? What is Glinn's response?
5. How does Britton feel about the actions Glinn took against her in Chapter 52 as described in Chapter 53? Who offers his loyal support to Britton? How does this make her feel?
6. What assumption does Vallenar make in Chapter 56 when he realizes the Rolvaag is leaving Isle Desolacion? What does he do?
7. In Chapter 66, one of Vallenar's men refuses to follow an order based on what information? What does Vallenar do about this insubordination?
8. What conclusion does McFarlane announce to Lloyd in the final chapter of the book? Is this conclusion accurate.
9. Palmer Lloyd was sent to his rooms like a bad boy and was filled with anger toward Glinn. What changes his mind in Chapter 58? What does Lloyd plan to do the next time he sees Glinn?
10. What revelation does Glinn make in chapter 68 that explains Vallenar's odd behavior?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Palmer Lloyd? What is he seen buying in the early chapters of the novel? What is unusual about this purchase? What does this say about Palmer Lloyd? What does the reader later learn that Lloyd is building? What is the purpose of this building? What does the purpose of this building suggest about the conflict that will propel the plot of this novel? What will Lloyd put in this building? What does he ask McFarlane to help him procure for this building? What does Lloyd plan to do with this item?
Essay Topic 2
What happens once the crew abandons the Rolvaag? Why were they forced to abandon ship in the first place? Where do they go? How do they expect to get rescued? What happens the following morning? What does Amira give to McFarlane? For what reason? What happens to Amira? What happens to McFarlane? What happens to Lloyd? Is this an appropriate result for Lloyd? What does McFarlane realize the meteorite was? Is this accurate information or is McFarlane mentally unbalanced because of the trauma of the ship sinking?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following in detail citing examples from the novel:
3) Point of view
This section contains 1,353 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)