|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 61, what type of job does Lloyd decide he will offer Puppup at the Lloyd Museum?
2. In Chapter 59, why does Vallenar request a team of six go into the water to repair the propellers?
3. In Chapter 76, what does Vallenar believe Captain Britton is attempting to do in the Ice Limit?
4. In Chapter 71, why does Amira confess to McFarlane that she wants to continue studying the meteorite even after they arrive back in the States?
5. In Chapter 57, whom does Glinn feel admires him for his actions?
Short Essay Questions
1. What revelation does Glinn make in chapter 68 that explains Vallenar's odd behavior?
2. Where does Glinn advise Britton to take the ship in Chapter 74? What argument does Britton make against this plan?
3. What conclusion does McFarlane announce to Lloyd in the final chapter of the book? Is this conclusion accurate.
4. Why does Britton suggest in Chapter 57 that they will all go to jail when they return to America? What is Glinn's response?
5. Where is the Rolvaag hit, as determined by Britton in Chapter 75? What does this damage suggest to Britton?
6. What news does McFarlane bring the bridge in Chapter 72? What does Glinn do about it?
7. What is Garza and his team doing in the cargo hold in Chapter 60? What danger does this pose?
8. In Chapter 69, what does McFarlane realized caused the electrical discharge from the meteorite in the cargo hold? What does he plan to do about it?
9. What happens in Chapter 77 when the Almirante Ramirez comes around the corner of the ice island and faces the Rolvaag?
10. Palmer Lloyd was sent to his rooms like a bad boy and was filled with anger toward Glinn. What changes his mind in Chapter 58? What does Lloyd plan to do the next time he sees Glinn?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following character relationships in detail:
1) McFarlane and Masangkay
2) Lloyd and McFarlane
3) Lloyd and Glinn
4) Glinn and McFarlane.
Essay Topic 2
What does the team discover when they expose the meteorite? What color is it? Why is this unusual? What is Amira and McFarlane's hypothesis about the color of the meteorite? What else is unusual about the meteorite? How do they discover it is much heavier than expected? What problems does this pose? Why does McFarlane want a sample of the meteorite? What happens when he tries to drill into it? How does McFarlane finally get a sample of the meteorite? What does he learn from this?
Essay Topic 3
How is the meteorite removed from the island? What method does Glinn's group use to lift the meteorite from the hole in the ground? How do they move the meteorite from one side of the island to the other? How do they move the meteorite from a bluff above the ship to the ship's cargo hold? Why do they decide to do this under the cover of fog? What must be done to keep the meteorite from rolling around in the cargo hold? What happens while this task is being completed? For what reason?
This section contains 1,306 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)