|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 59, what orders does Vallenar believe his men are awaiting?
2. In Chapter 44, what does Glinn instruct his men to ask Britton to send to the staging area?
3. In Chapter 62, how many men did the Almirante Ramirez lose in the attempt to fix the propellers?
4. In Chapter 61, what type of job does Lloyd decide he will offer Puppup at the Lloyd Museum?
5. In Chapter 58, what did Lloyd do throughout the fight with the Almirante Ramirez?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened in the cargo hold that caused the deaths of most of Garza's men? Who does Garza blame? Who does McFarlane blame?
2. Where is the Rolvaag hit, as determined by Britton in Chapter 75? What does this damage suggest to Britton?
3. Why does Glinn once again take command of the bridge in Chapter 57? What is the result?
4. What assumption does Vallenar make in Chapter 56 when he realizes the Rolvaag is leaving Isle Desolacion? What does he do?
5. Palmer Lloyd was sent to his rooms like a bad boy and was filled with anger toward Glinn. What changes his mind in Chapter 58? What does Lloyd plan to do the next time he sees Glinn?
6. In Chapter 65, what danger does Glinn identify for the Rolvaag? What action does he recommend taking against it?
7. What, as described in Chapter 50, is Vallenar's plan in regards to the Rolvaag?
8. What does McFarlane hypothesize caused the massive electrical surge that knocked out the equipment on Isla Desolacion? What argument does Lloyd make against this theory?
9. What revelation does Glinn make in chapter 68 that explains Vallenar's odd behavior?
10. What causes Glinn's death in Chapter 83? What fantasy does he have as he dies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is McFarlane? Why did he and Masangkay part ways? Why does Glinn think that McFarlane is unstable? Is he? Who does Glinn have watch over McFarlane during the expedition? When does McFarlane learn about this double cross? What does McFarlane do about this? Why? What is McFarlane's role on the expedition? How many times does McFarlane reassure the others that the meteorite poses no threat to the ship? Does this prove to be true? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
How is the meteorite removed from the island? What method does Glinn's group use to lift the meteorite from the hole in the ground? How do they move the meteorite from one side of the island to the other? How do they move the meteorite from a bluff above the ship to the ship's cargo hold? Why do they decide to do this under the cover of fog? What must be done to keep the meteorite from rolling around in the cargo hold? What happens while this task is being completed? For what reason?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the Rolvagg. What type of ship is it? How does Glinn's team alter it? Where do they plan to put the meteorite once they recover it? What is a dead man's switch? What is its purpose? How does Lloyd feel about the installation of this switch? What other alterations have the team made to the ship? What item do crew members notice on the bridge and in the cargo hold that has been left unexplained? What does it turn out to be?
This section contains 1,238 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)