|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 54, who does Lloyd think is the only person who can get the meteorite out of Chile?
2. In Chapter 64, Glinn repeatedly suggests Vallenar will do what?
3. In Chapter 71, what item of jewelry does Amira ask to wear of McFarlane's in a moment of intimacy?
4. In Chapter 61, what type of ship does Lloyd hope is following them into international waters?
5. In Chapter 84, what is happening to the life boats that causes concern to the survivors?
Short Essay Questions
1. What news does McFarlane bring the bridge in Chapter 72? What does Glinn do about it?
2. What item does Rachel Amira give to McFarlane in the lifeboat? What does she ask McFarlane to do with it?
3. How many people got off the Rolvaag as revealed in Chapter 84? How many died?
4. Where is the Rolvaag hit, as determined by Britton in Chapter 75? What does this damage suggest to Britton?
5. Why does Britton suggest in Chapter 57 that they will all go to jail when they return to America? What is Glinn's response?
6. What does McFarlane hypothesize caused the massive electrical surge that knocked out the equipment on Isla Desolacion? What argument does Lloyd make against this theory?
7. In Chapter 82 Lloyd and McFarlane change their position on the meteorite. Who refuses to listen? What happens next?
8. What nautical destination does Glinn assume will cause the Almirante Ramirez stop its pursuit of the Rolvaag? Why? Does it?
9. What difficulties is the Almirante Ramirez suffering in Chapter 70 that makes its pursuit of the Rolvaag more difficult?
10. Where does Glinn go in Chapter 48? What is he wearing that suggests he expects danger on this trip?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the team discover when they expose the meteorite? What color is it? Why is this unusual? What is Amira and McFarlane's hypothesis about the color of the meteorite? What else is unusual about the meteorite? How do they discover it is much heavier than expected? What problems does this pose? Why does McFarlane want a sample of the meteorite? What happens when he tries to drill into it? How does McFarlane finally get a sample of the meteorite? What does he learn from this?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following in detail citing examples from the novel:
3) Point of view
Essay Topic 3
What happens once the crew abandons the Rolvaag? Why were they forced to abandon ship in the first place? Where do they go? How do they expect to get rescued? What happens the following morning? What does Amira give to McFarlane? For what reason? What happens to Amira? What happens to McFarlane? What happens to Lloyd? Is this an appropriate result for Lloyd? What does McFarlane realize the meteorite was? Is this accurate information or is McFarlane mentally unbalanced because of the trauma of the ship sinking?
This section contains 1,169 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)