|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 48, what threat does Vallenar make when Glinn refuses to return Timmer to him?
2. In Chapter 84, what is happening to the life boats that causes concern to the survivors?
3. In Chapter 59, why is the box holding spare ship parts marked 40mm ordnance?
4. In Chapter 77, what does Britton see on the edge of the ice island above the Rolvaag?
5. In Chapter 60, who gets credit for keeping the cradle design simple in order to make the welding quick?
Essay Topic 1
Why does Glinn force Britton to remain at Isla Desolacion when the proximity of Vallenar's ship makes her nervous? How does he force her to remain? Why does Britton allow Glinn to take control of the Rolvaag on several occasions, most often when Vallenar's ship is in pursuit of the Rolvaag? Is Glinn's advice to Britton good advice? What happens to the Rolvaag in the end? Whose fault is it? How might this result have been prevented?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following style elements in detail, discussing how they impact the overall plot of the novel. Cite examples from the novel to support your conclusions:
Essay Topic 3
Who is Britton? What was the nature of the scandal that discredited her as a ships captain? Was Britton guilty of the crime she was accused of? Was Britton unfairly treated for some reason? Explain. Why does Glinn chose Britton as the captain of the Rolvaag? Why does Britton take the job? For what reason is Britton's career important to her at this point in her life? What fear does Britton continuously express while on board the Rolvaag? What drink does Britton ban from the Rolvaag? How does the crew react to this? Explain.
This section contains 1,650 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)