|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 76, what does Vallenar believe Captain Britton is attempting to do in the Ice Limit?
2. In Chapter 73, what failure does Garza report will cause the meteorite to eventually break free of its cradle?
3. In Chapter 80, what does Britton discover missing from the main deck?
4. In the final chapter of the novel, where do the survivors find themselves three days after rescue?
5. In Chapter 58, what did Lloyd do throughout the fight with the Almirante Ramirez?
Essay Topic 1
Who is McFarlane? Why did he and Masangkay part ways? Why does Glinn think that McFarlane is unstable? Is he? Who does Glinn have watch over McFarlane during the expedition? When does McFarlane learn about this double cross? What does McFarlane do about this? Why? What is McFarlane's role on the expedition? How many times does McFarlane reassure the others that the meteorite poses no threat to the ship? Does this prove to be true? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Who is Britton? What was the nature of the scandal that discredited her as a ships captain? Was Britton guilty of the crime she was accused of? Was Britton unfairly treated for some reason? Explain. Why does Glinn chose Britton as the captain of the Rolvaag? Why does Britton take the job? For what reason is Britton's career important to her at this point in her life? What fear does Britton continuously express while on board the Rolvaag? What drink does Britton ban from the Rolvaag? How does the crew react to this? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
How is the meteorite removed from the island? What method does Glinn's group use to lift the meteorite from the hole in the ground? How do they move the meteorite from one side of the island to the other? How do they move the meteorite from a bluff above the ship to the ship's cargo hold? Why do they decide to do this under the cover of fog? What must be done to keep the meteorite from rolling around in the cargo hold? What happens while this task is being completed? For what reason?
This section contains 1,655 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)