|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 69, what are investigators looking at in an attempt to find out what happened to cause the meteorite to discharge electricity in the cargo hold?
2. In Chapter 81, who does Lloyd threaten to kill with his bares hands should this person use the dead man switch?
3. In Chapter 78, how long can the Rolvaag expect to have auxiliary power?
4. In Chapter 46, what event keeps Glinn and his scientists from understanding why the meteorite appears to kill when touched?
5. In Chapter 69, what does Amira suggest set off the electrical charge?
Short Essay Questions
1. Palmer Lloyd was sent to his rooms like a bad boy and was filled with anger toward Glinn. What changes his mind in Chapter 58? What does Lloyd plan to do the next time he sees Glinn?
2. When McFarlane is on the phone with Lloyd in Chapter 49 he explains when the meteorite will be moved and learns about an impending problem for the expedition. McFarlane also senses that Lloyd is planning something. How will the meteorite be moved, what impending problem is coming, and what is Lloyd up to?
3. What difficulties is the Almirante Ramirez suffering in Chapter 70 that makes its pursuit of the Rolvaag more difficult?
4. Where is the Rolvaag hit, as determined by Britton in Chapter 75? What does this damage suggest to Britton?
5. In Chapter 80 Britton suggests it is time to use the dead man switch. What has caused her to come to this conclusion? What is the reaction of those around her?
6. What happens in Chapter 77 when the Almirante Ramirez comes around the corner of the ice island and faces the Rolvaag?
7. What, as described in Chapter 50, is Vallenar's plan in regards to the Rolvaag?
8. What does McFarlane hypothesize caused the massive electrical surge that knocked out the equipment on Isla Desolacion? What argument does Lloyd make against this theory?
9. Where does Glinn advise Britton to take the ship in Chapter 74? What argument does Britton make against this plan?
10. How many people got off the Rolvaag as revealed in Chapter 84? How many died?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Comandante Vallenar? Where do Glinn, McFarlane, and Britton meet him? What problem does Vallenar have with Glinn and his crew? For what reason? Why does Vallenar think Glinn and his crew are interested in Isla Desolacion? Is this true? Is Vallenar ordered by the Chilean government to watch over Glinn and his crew? How does Vallenar react to opposition to his decision to watch over Glinn and his crew? Who does Vallenar send to the Isla Desolacion? How does this impact Vallenar's later decisions?
Essay Topic 2
Who is McFarlane? Why did he and Masangkay part ways? Why does Glinn think that McFarlane is unstable? Is he? Who does Glinn have watch over McFarlane during the expedition? When does McFarlane learn about this double cross? What does McFarlane do about this? Why? What is McFarlane's role on the expedition? How many times does McFarlane reassure the others that the meteorite poses no threat to the ship? Does this prove to be true? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Why does Glinn force Britton to remain at Isla Desolacion when the proximity of Vallenar's ship makes her nervous? How does he force her to remain? Why does Britton allow Glinn to take control of the Rolvaag on several occasions, most often when Vallenar's ship is in pursuit of the Rolvaag? Is Glinn's advice to Britton good advice? What happens to the Rolvaag in the end? Whose fault is it? How might this result have been prevented?
This section contains 1,466 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)