|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the meaning of the term, dead in the water?
2. In Chapter 61, what is Britton counting down?
3. In Chapter 57, what does Glinn want Puppup to do?
4. In Chapter 63, who is the first person interviewed in the investigation into the discharge of the meteorite?
5. In Chapter 61, what happens to the bridge's computers as they watch the movement on radar of the ship in pursuit of the Rolvaag?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 65, what danger does Glinn identify for the Rolvaag? What action does he recommend taking against it?
2. How does Glinn's team assertain that the dead body is not the guard they thought it was? Who does Glinn believe this man is? What complication does this pose?
3. In Chapter 69, what does McFarlane realized caused the electrical discharge from the meteorite in the cargo hold? What does he plan to do about it?
4. What is Garza and his team doing in the cargo hold in Chapter 60? What danger does this pose?
5. How does Britton feel about the actions Glinn took against her in Chapter 52 as described in Chapter 53? Who offers his loyal support to Britton? How does this make her feel?
6. Where does Glinn advise Britton to take the ship in Chapter 74? What argument does Britton make against this plan?
7. Where does Glinn go in Chapter 48? What is he wearing that suggests he expects danger on this trip?
8. Palmer Lloyd was sent to his rooms like a bad boy and was filled with anger toward Glinn. What changes his mind in Chapter 58? What does Lloyd plan to do the next time he sees Glinn?
9. Where is the Rolvaag hit, as determined by Britton in Chapter 75? What does this damage suggest to Britton?
10. How does Vallenar react to Glinn's actions, as shown in Chapter 59? What does Vallenar plan to do next?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following relationships:
1) Glinn and Britton
2) Vallenar and Timmer
3) McFarlane and Amira
4) Lloyd and Glinn.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following style elements in detail, discussing how they impact the overall plot of the novel. Cite examples from the novel to support your conclusions:
Essay Topic 3
What does McFarlane think causes the meteorite to emit electrical pulses? What is wrong with this theory? Why does Glinn trust in McFarlane's assessment of the situation? Is this a mistake? What happens when Garza's men attempt to finish the welds on the meteorite's cradle? What does McFarlane feel caused this accident? How does McFarlane learn he was wrong? What is the true cause of this unusual element in the meteorite? How does McFarlane take measures to keep this from happening again? Does it work? Explain.
This section contains 1,366 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)