|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 80, why does Glinn refuse to entertain the idea that the meteorite's cradle could fail?
2. In Chapter 80, where does Britton recall having seen a ship break its back?
3. In Chapter 57, how does Glinn disable the Almirante Ramirez?
4. In Chapter 48, why does Glinn visit the Almirante Ramirez?
5. In Chapter 61, what type of job does Lloyd decide he will offer Puppup at the Lloyd Museum?
Short Essay Questions
1. What news does McFarlane bring the bridge in Chapter 72? What does Glinn do about it?
2. What nautical destination does Glinn assume will cause the Almirante Ramirez stop its pursuit of the Rolvaag? Why? Does it?
3. What assumption does Vallenar make in Chapter 56 when he realizes the Rolvaag is leaving Isle Desolacion? What does he do?
4. What is Garza and his team doing in the cargo hold in Chapter 60? What danger does this pose?
5. What does McFarlane hypothesize caused the massive electrical surge that knocked out the equipment on Isla Desolacion? What argument does Lloyd make against this theory?
6. What concerns does Glinn have about continuing the expedition in Chapter 46? What concerns does Britton express in the same chapter?
7. Why does Britton suggest in Chapter 57 that they will all go to jail when they return to America? What is Glinn's response?
8. Where does Glinn go in Chapter 48? What is he wearing that suggests he expects danger on this trip?
9. What conclusion does McFarlane announce to Lloyd in the final chapter of the book? Is this conclusion accurate.
10. What item does Rachel Amira give to McFarlane in the lifeboat? What does she ask McFarlane to do with it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Britton finally decide that they must use the dead man switch? Why does Lloyd and McFarlane disagree at first? Why do they change their minds? Who has the ultimate decision in regards to the dead man switch? Why does this person refuse to activate the dead man switch? What does this person do instead? Does it work? What does Britton order the crew to do when she realizes it is too late to use the dead man switch? Where does Britton go? For what reason? What does this say about Britton?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Timmer? Why does he go to Isla Desolacion? What does he do once he reaches the camp where the meteorite is located? What does he find when he enters the tunnel under the meteorite? Why does Timmer touch the meteorite? What happens when he does? Why? Who does Glinn and his crew think Timmer is when they find his burned body? How do they learn they are wrong? Why does Glinn tell Vallenar that Timmer is in the brig on board the Rolvaag? What relationship does Glinn later realize Vallenar shared with Timmer?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the Rolvagg. What type of ship is it? How does Glinn's team alter it? Where do they plan to put the meteorite once they recover it? What is a dead man's switch? What is its purpose? How does Lloyd feel about the installation of this switch? What other alterations have the team made to the ship? What item do crew members notice on the bridge and in the cargo hold that has been left unexplained? What does it turn out to be?
This section contains 1,374 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)