|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 71, why can McFarlane not use his hand held radio to contact the bridge?
2. In Chapter 77, what does Britton see on the edge of the ice island above the Rolvaag?
3. What does McFarlane tell Glinn in chapter 47 when he asks how safe the meteorite is?
4. In Chapter 81, who does Lloyd threaten to kill with his bares hands should this person use the dead man switch?
5. In Chapter 48, why does Glinn visit the Almirante Ramirez?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 66, one of Vallenar's men refuses to follow an order based on what information? What does Vallenar do about this insubordination?
2. What assumption does Vallenar make in Chapter 56 when he realizes the Rolvaag is leaving Isle Desolacion? What does he do?
3. What conclusion does McFarlane announce to Lloyd in the final chapter of the book? Is this conclusion accurate.
4. When McFarlane is on the phone with Lloyd in Chapter 49 he explains when the meteorite will be moved and learns about an impending problem for the expedition. McFarlane also senses that Lloyd is planning something. How will the meteorite be moved, what impending problem is coming, and what is Lloyd up to?
5. How does Glinn's team assertain that the dead body is not the guard they thought it was? Who does Glinn believe this man is? What complication does this pose?
6. What news does McFarlane bring the bridge in Chapter 72? What does Glinn do about it?
7. Where is the Rolvaag hit, as determined by Britton in Chapter 75? What does this damage suggest to Britton?
8. In Chapter 80 Britton suggests it is time to use the dead man switch. What has caused her to come to this conclusion? What is the reaction of those around her?
9. Where does Glinn go in Chapter 48? What is he wearing that suggests he expects danger on this trip?
10. What happens in Chapter 77 when the Almirante Ramirez comes around the corner of the ice island and faces the Rolvaag?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Britton finally decide that they must use the dead man switch? Why does Lloyd and McFarlane disagree at first? Why do they change their minds? Who has the ultimate decision in regards to the dead man switch? Why does this person refuse to activate the dead man switch? What does this person do instead? Does it work? What does Britton order the crew to do when she realizes it is too late to use the dead man switch? Where does Britton go? For what reason? What does this say about Britton?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Britton? What was the nature of the scandal that discredited her as a ships captain? Was Britton guilty of the crime she was accused of? Was Britton unfairly treated for some reason? Explain. Why does Glinn chose Britton as the captain of the Rolvaag? Why does Britton take the job? For what reason is Britton's career important to her at this point in her life? What fear does Britton continuously express while on board the Rolvaag? What drink does Britton ban from the Rolvaag? How does the crew react to this? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following relationships:
1) Glinn and Britton
2) Vallenar and Timmer
3) McFarlane and Amira
4) Lloyd and Glinn.
This section contains 1,505 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)