|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 71, why can McFarlane not use his hand held radio to contact the bridge?
2. In Chapter 84, who took command of the Rolvaag's crew after Britton left the bridge?
3. In Chapter 51, Glinn reveals that EES controls what vital component of the Rolvaag?
4. In Chapter 61, what type of job does Lloyd decide he will offer Puppup at the Lloyd Museum?
5. In Chapter 78, who does Britton inform her officers to call for help?
Short Essay Questions
1. What nautical destination does Glinn assume will cause the Almirante Ramirez stop its pursuit of the Rolvaag? Why? Does it?
2. What causes Glinn's death in Chapter 83? What fantasy does he have as he dies?
3. Where does Glinn go in Chapter 48? What is he wearing that suggests he expects danger on this trip?
4. How does Vallenar react to Glinn's actions, as shown in Chapter 59? What does Vallenar plan to do next?
5. Why does Britton suggest in Chapter 57 that they will all go to jail when they return to America? What is Glinn's response?
6. How does Britton feel about the actions Glinn took against her in Chapter 52 as described in Chapter 53? Who offers his loyal support to Britton? How does this make her feel?
7. What news does McFarlane bring the bridge in Chapter 72? What does Glinn do about it?
8. In Chapter 82 Lloyd and McFarlane change their position on the meteorite. Who refuses to listen? What happens next?
9. What assumption does Vallenar make in Chapter 56 when he realizes the Rolvaag is leaving Isle Desolacion? What does he do?
10. Where is the Rolvaag hit, as determined by Britton in Chapter 75? What does this damage suggest to Britton?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the team discover when they expose the meteorite? What color is it? Why is this unusual? What is Amira and McFarlane's hypothesis about the color of the meteorite? What else is unusual about the meteorite? How do they discover it is much heavier than expected? What problems does this pose? Why does McFarlane want a sample of the meteorite? What happens when he tries to drill into it? How does McFarlane finally get a sample of the meteorite? What does he learn from this?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Timmer? Why does he go to Isla Desolacion? What does he do once he reaches the camp where the meteorite is located? What does he find when he enters the tunnel under the meteorite? Why does Timmer touch the meteorite? What happens when he does? Why? Who does Glinn and his crew think Timmer is when they find his burned body? How do they learn they are wrong? Why does Glinn tell Vallenar that Timmer is in the brig on board the Rolvaag? What relationship does Glinn later realize Vallenar shared with Timmer?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following character relationships in detail:
1) McFarlane and Masangkay
2) Lloyd and McFarlane
3) Lloyd and Glinn
4) Glinn and McFarlane.
This section contains 1,222 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)