|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 84, where do the survivors take refuge from the sea?
2. What is the meaning of the term, dead in the water?
3. In Chapter 81, who does Lloyd threaten to kill with his bares hands should this person use the dead man switch?
4. In Chapter 61, what is Britton counting down?
5. In Chapter 69, what are investigators looking at in an attempt to find out what happened to cause the meteorite to discharge electricity in the cargo hold?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Vallenar react to Glinn's actions, as shown in Chapter 59? What does Vallenar plan to do next?
2. What causes Glinn's death in Chapter 83? What fantasy does he have as he dies?
3. What nautical destination does Glinn assume will cause the Almirante Ramirez stop its pursuit of the Rolvaag? Why? Does it?
4. In Chapter 82 Lloyd and McFarlane change their position on the meteorite. Who refuses to listen? What happens next?
5. When McFarlane is on the phone with Lloyd in Chapter 49 he explains when the meteorite will be moved and learns about an impending problem for the expedition. McFarlane also senses that Lloyd is planning something. How will the meteorite be moved, what impending problem is coming, and what is Lloyd up to?
6. In Chapter 80 Britton suggests it is time to use the dead man switch. What has caused her to come to this conclusion? What is the reaction of those around her?
7. Where does Glinn go in Chapter 48? What is he wearing that suggests he expects danger on this trip?
8. What does McFarlane hypothesize caused the massive electrical surge that knocked out the equipment on Isla Desolacion? What argument does Lloyd make against this theory?
9. What happens in Chapter 77 when the Almirante Ramirez comes around the corner of the ice island and faces the Rolvaag?
10. In Chapter 69, what does McFarlane realized caused the electrical discharge from the meteorite in the cargo hold? What does he plan to do about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Masangkay? What is he doing on this isolated island? What is he hoping to find? What does he find? Why does he touch it? What is the weather like when Masangkay finds this item? Does this have an impact on what happens when Masangkay touches this item? What is it later revealed Masangkay's cause of death was? How does this relate to the description of Masangkay's death in the first chapter? What warning does Masangkay's death give to the reader?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Palmer Lloyd? What is he seen buying in the early chapters of the novel? What is unusual about this purchase? What does this say about Palmer Lloyd? What does the reader later learn that Lloyd is building? What is the purpose of this building? What does the purpose of this building suggest about the conflict that will propel the plot of this novel? What will Lloyd put in this building? What does he ask McFarlane to help him procure for this building? What does Lloyd plan to do with this item?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Glinn force Britton to remain at Isla Desolacion when the proximity of Vallenar's ship makes her nervous? How does he force her to remain? Why does Britton allow Glinn to take control of the Rolvaag on several occasions, most often when Vallenar's ship is in pursuit of the Rolvaag? Is Glinn's advice to Britton good advice? What happens to the Rolvaag in the end? Whose fault is it? How might this result have been prevented?
This section contains 1,540 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)