|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 76, what does Vallenar believe Captain Britton is attempting to do in the Ice Limit?
2. In Chapter 57, why does Glinn feel the Rolvaag's actions against the Almirante Ramirez were justified?
3. In Chapter 47, who does McFarlane point out is blocking the only exit out of the channel?
4. In Chapter 51, what does Britton say she will not allow on board her vessel?
5. What are Willey Peters?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Britton suggest in Chapter 57 that they will all go to jail when they return to America? What is Glinn's response?
2. What assumption does Vallenar make in Chapter 56 when he realizes the Rolvaag is leaving Isle Desolacion? What does he do?
3. How does Vallenar react to Glinn's actions, as shown in Chapter 59? What does Vallenar plan to do next?
4. When McFarlane is on the phone with Lloyd in Chapter 49 he explains when the meteorite will be moved and learns about an impending problem for the expedition. McFarlane also senses that Lloyd is planning something. How will the meteorite be moved, what impending problem is coming, and what is Lloyd up to?
5. What conclusion does McFarlane announce to Lloyd in the final chapter of the book? Is this conclusion accurate.
6. In Chapter 82 Lloyd and McFarlane change their position on the meteorite. Who refuses to listen? What happens next?
7. In Chapter 69, what does McFarlane realized caused the electrical discharge from the meteorite in the cargo hold? What does he plan to do about it?
8. What nautical destination does Glinn assume will cause the Almirante Ramirez stop its pursuit of the Rolvaag? Why? Does it?
9. What revelation does Glinn make in chapter 68 that explains Vallenar's odd behavior?
10. What, as described in Chapter 50, is Vallenar's plan in regards to the Rolvaag?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following character relationships in detail:
1) McFarlane and Masangkay
2) Lloyd and McFarlane
3) Lloyd and Glinn
4) Glinn and McFarlane.
Essay Topic 2
Why does Britton finally decide that they must use the dead man switch? Why does Lloyd and McFarlane disagree at first? Why do they change their minds? Who has the ultimate decision in regards to the dead man switch? Why does this person refuse to activate the dead man switch? What does this person do instead? Does it work? What does Britton order the crew to do when she realizes it is too late to use the dead man switch? Where does Britton go? For what reason? What does this say about Britton?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following in detail citing examples from the novel:
3) Point of view
This section contains 1,224 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)