|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of ship has Glinn purchased for the recovery of the meteorite?
2. Why does Glinn tell Britton in Chapter 18 that they should not worry about Vallenar?
3. In Chapter 29, what does Amira say Glinn hates?
4. How much does Glinn tell Lloyd he will charge to complete the recovery of the meteorite from the Isla Desolacion in Chapter 8?
5. Where did Wilson Atcitty find a large bone protruding from a sandstone wall as described in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who arrives on the Rolvaag via helicopter in Chapter 20? What is the purpose of this visit?
2. Why does Glinn gather his team and suggest they end the expedition in Chapter 35? Do they?
3. How does Glinn and his team plan to move the meteorite from one side of the island to the other?
4. What unusual findings do McFarlane and Glinn make when they remove Masangkay's body for study on the ship in Chapter 27?
5. Why does Glinn's team make an effort to make the ship they are preparing for the expedition look older than it really is?
6. What does Masangkay anticipate will be the rewards for discovering a unique meteorite on the Isla Desolacion? Who does he wish to pay back?
7. What story does Puppup tell the men as they make their way to the site of the meteorite in Chapter 22?
8. What does Lloyd do when he first sees the meteorite? Who warns against this action? Why?
9. Why does Glinn insist that McFarlane accompany him to the island where they will be interviewed by customs? Why does Glinn want himself and McFarlane to present fake passports when they arrive in Chile?
10. What strikes McFarlane as luxurious when he boards the Rolvaag for the first time? What is Glinn's explanation for this unexpected luxury?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Timmer? Why does he go to Isla Desolacion? What does he do once he reaches the camp where the meteorite is located? What does he find when he enters the tunnel under the meteorite? Why does Timmer touch the meteorite? What happens when he does? Why? Who does Glinn and his crew think Timmer is when they find his burned body? How do they learn they are wrong? Why does Glinn tell Vallenar that Timmer is in the brig on board the Rolvaag? What relationship does Glinn later realize Vallenar shared with Timmer?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Glinn force Britton to remain at Isla Desolacion when the proximity of Vallenar's ship makes her nervous? How does he force her to remain? Why does Britton allow Glinn to take control of the Rolvaag on several occasions, most often when Vallenar's ship is in pursuit of the Rolvaag? Is Glinn's advice to Britton good advice? What happens to the Rolvaag in the end? Whose fault is it? How might this result have been prevented?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Masangkay? What is he doing on this isolated island? What is he hoping to find? What does he find? Why does he touch it? What is the weather like when Masangkay finds this item? Does this have an impact on what happens when Masangkay touches this item? What is it later revealed Masangkay's cause of death was? How does this relate to the description of Masangkay's death in the first chapter? What warning does Masangkay's death give to the reader?
This section contains 1,231 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)