|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What famous assassination are Glinn's team reenacting when McFarlane arrives at EES's offices in Chapter 6?
2. Who does Puppup believe is responsible for the deaths of Evans, Rochefort, and Masangkay?
3. How does Puppup react in Chapter 21 as Lloyd, Glinn, and McFarlane admire Isla Desolacion?
4. Why does Vallenar dislike disposable razors as discussed in Chapter 28?
5. How much does Garza believe the meteorite weighs as discussed in Chapter 31?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes a near collision in Chapter 18 with the Rolvaag? What does this suggest about the dangers of the expedition?
2. What is being auction at a Christie's auction house in Chapter 3? What is unusual about the buyer?
3. What causes the computers on the island to fail? What is found in the tunnel with the meteorite?
4. Who are the people Sam McFarlane has hired to help him search for meteorites in the Kalahari Desert? How does he win their trust? How does he lose it?
5. Why does Glinn insist that McFarlane accompany him to the island where they will be interviewed by customs? Why does Glinn want himself and McFarlane to present fake passports when they arrive in Chile?
6. Why is a guard posted at the camp where the meteorite is sitting? What happens on the first night of guard duty?
7. What report does McFarlane find in Amira's quarters in Chapter 37? What does this report say? How does McFarlane feel about this report?
8. What operation has Glinn had his men set up on the island to fool any Chilean officials who happen to be watching them? Is anyone watching them?
9. What does McFarlane learn about Amira's relationship with Glinn in Chapter 38 that sheds light on Glinn's personality?
10. What strikes McFarlane as luxurious when he boards the Rolvaag for the first time? What is Glinn's explanation for this unexpected luxury?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following character relationships in detail:
1) McFarlane and Masangkay
2) Lloyd and McFarlane
3) Lloyd and Glinn
4) Glinn and McFarlane.
Essay Topic 2
How is the meteorite removed from the island? What method does Glinn's group use to lift the meteorite from the hole in the ground? How do they move the meteorite from one side of the island to the other? How do they move the meteorite from a bluff above the ship to the ship's cargo hold? Why do they decide to do this under the cover of fog? What must be done to keep the meteorite from rolling around in the cargo hold? What happens while this task is being completed? For what reason?
Essay Topic 3
What does McFarlane think causes the meteorite to emit electrical pulses? What is wrong with this theory? Why does Glinn trust in McFarlane's assessment of the situation? Is this a mistake? What happens when Garza's men attempt to finish the welds on the meteorite's cradle? What does McFarlane feel caused this accident? How does McFarlane learn he was wrong? What is the true cause of this unusual element in the meteorite? How does McFarlane take measures to keep this from happening again? Does it work? Explain.
This section contains 1,289 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)