|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the meteorite that caused the falling out between McFarlane and Masangkay?
2. What happens in Chapter 33 when Glinn orders the power stopped to all the jacks under the meteorite?
3. What did the large bone found in a sandstone wall of a canyon turn out to be as described in Chapter 3?
4. What natural landmark marks the area where Masangkay made his camp?
5. In Chapter 28, how does Vallenar force the man he is interviewing to tell him the truth?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does a native man find on Isla Desolacion when paddles there in Chapter 2? What does he do about it?
2. Why does McFarlane take the broken drill bit to the ship? What does he find on it? What does he decide to do next?
3. What does Dr. Brambell say caused Masangkay's death? How does this impact the expedition at this point?
4. What does McFarlane learn about Amira's relationship with Glinn in Chapter 38 that sheds light on Glinn's personality?
5. What causes the computers on the island to fail? What is found in the tunnel with the meteorite?
6. For what reason does Glinn want to add Puppup to their crew? Where does Glinn find Puppup in Chapter 18?
7. Why is a guard posted at the camp where the meteorite is sitting? What happens on the first night of guard duty?
8. Why does Glinn insist that McFarlane accompany him to the island where they will be interviewed by customs? Why does Glinn want himself and McFarlane to present fake passports when they arrive in Chile?
9. Why does McFarlane tell Britton in chapter 14 that he decided to study meteorites? What question does Britton ask McFarlane about this expedition?
10. Where does Glinn find Captain Britton? How does this pertain to her decision to take the job he has offered her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following themes in detail citing examples from the novel:
2) Desire to succeed
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following style elements in detail, discussing how they impact the overall plot of the novel. Cite examples from the novel to support your conclusions:
Essay Topic 3
Why does Lloyd fly a helicopter onto the deck of the Rolvaag? What does Lloyd want to be present for? Why does Lloyd insist on going to Isla Desolacion himself? Who insists on going with him? For what reason? What story does Puppup tell as the men make their way to the location where Masangkay found the meteorite? How does this story relate to the meteorite? What does McFarlane insist on doing with the body of Masangkay? How does Glinn react to this request? What does Glinn later do with the body of Masangkay?
This section contains 1,207 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)