|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much does Lloyd promise to pay McFarlane in the end of Chapter 4?
2. Why does Masangkay touch his find in Chapter 1?
3. What does Lloyd want to call the meteorite?
4. What does the team initially use, as seen in Chapter 23, to remove the dirt over the top of the meteorite?
5. What does McFarlane want to call the meteorite?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is a guard posted at the camp where the meteorite is sitting? What happens on the first night of guard duty?
2. What operation has Glinn had his men set up on the island to fool any Chilean officials who happen to be watching them? Is anyone watching them?
3. Why does Glinn gather his team and suggest they end the expedition in Chapter 35? Do they?
4. What story of the Ice Limit does Britton tell the people at her table during the first dinner on board the Rolvaag? What famous writer wrote a story about this incident? How is this incident related to Captain Britton? What is important about this story?
5. What does Lloyd do when he first sees the meteorite? Who warns against this action? Why?
6. What strikes McFarlane as luxurious when he boards the Rolvaag for the first time? What is Glinn's explanation for this unexpected luxury?
7. What crime does Puppup tell Glinn Vallenar once committed? What was calculated about this crime?
8. Who arrives on the Rolvaag via helicopter in Chapter 20? What is the purpose of this visit?
9. Why does Rochefort go into the tunnel with the jacked up meteorite in Chapter 34? What happens?
10. What report does McFarlane find in Amira's quarters in Chapter 37? What does this report say? How does McFarlane feel about this report?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following style elements in detail, discussing how they impact the overall plot of the novel. Cite examples from the novel to support your conclusions:
Essay Topic 2
Why does Glinn force Britton to remain at Isla Desolacion when the proximity of Vallenar's ship makes her nervous? How does he force her to remain? Why does Britton allow Glinn to take control of the Rolvaag on several occasions, most often when Vallenar's ship is in pursuit of the Rolvaag? Is Glinn's advice to Britton good advice? What happens to the Rolvaag in the end? Whose fault is it? How might this result have been prevented?
Essay Topic 3
What does McFarlane think causes the meteorite to emit electrical pulses? What is wrong with this theory? Why does Glinn trust in McFarlane's assessment of the situation? Is this a mistake? What happens when Garza's men attempt to finish the welds on the meteorite's cradle? What does McFarlane feel caused this accident? How does McFarlane learn he was wrong? What is the true cause of this unusual element in the meteorite? How does McFarlane take measures to keep this from happening again? Does it work? Explain.
This section contains 1,213 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)