|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the meteorite that caused the falling out between McFarlane and Masangkay?
2. In Chapter 42, what covers the sounds of Timmer's approach as he infiltrates the perimeter of the staging area?
3. Where does Amira tell McFarlane that Glinn earned his military experience?
4. Who does Puppup believe is responsible for the deaths of Evans, Rochefort, and Masangkay?
5. What is the name of the channel where the Rolvaag lowers its anchor during the recovery of the meteorite?
Short Essay Questions
1. What concerns does Glinn have about continuing the expedition in Chapter 46? What concerns does Britton express in the same chapter?
2. What nautical destination does Glinn assume will cause the Almirante Ramirez stop its pursuit of the Rolvaag? Why? Does it?
3. For what reason does Glinn want to add Puppup to their crew? Where does Glinn find Puppup in Chapter 18?
4. In Chapter 66, one of Vallenar's men refuses to follow an order based on what information? What does Vallenar do about this insubordination?
5. What causes Glinn's death in Chapter 83? What fantasy does he have as he dies?
6. Why does Glinn once again take command of the bridge in Chapter 57? What is the result?
7. Who are the people Sam McFarlane has hired to help him search for meteorites in the Kalahari Desert? How does he win their trust? How does he lose it?
8. What causes the computers on the island to fail? What is found in the tunnel with the meteorite?
9. What story of the Ice Limit does Britton tell the people at her table during the first dinner on board the Rolvaag? What famous writer wrote a story about this incident? How is this incident related to Captain Britton? What is important about this story?
10. Palmer Lloyd was sent to his rooms like a bad boy and was filled with anger toward Glinn. What changes his mind in Chapter 58? What does Lloyd plan to do the next time he sees Glinn?
Essay Topic 1
Why does Lloyd fly a helicopter onto the deck of the Rolvaag? What does Lloyd want to be present for? Why does Lloyd insist on going to Isla Desolacion himself? Who insists on going with him? For what reason? What story does Puppup tell as the men make their way to the location where Masangkay found the meteorite? How does this story relate to the meteorite? What does McFarlane insist on doing with the body of Masangkay? How does Glinn react to this request? What does Glinn later do with the body of Masangkay?
Essay Topic 2
What does the team discover when they expose the meteorite? What color is it? Why is this unusual? What is Amira and McFarlane's hypothesis about the color of the meteorite? What else is unusual about the meteorite? How do they discover it is much heavier than expected? What problems does this pose? Why does McFarlane want a sample of the meteorite? What happens when he tries to drill into it? How does McFarlane finally get a sample of the meteorite? What does he learn from this?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Timmer? Why does he go to Isla Desolacion? What does he do once he reaches the camp where the meteorite is located? What does he find when he enters the tunnel under the meteorite? Why does Timmer touch the meteorite? What happens when he does? Why? Who does Glinn and his crew think Timmer is when they find his burned body? How do they learn they are wrong? Why does Glinn tell Vallenar that Timmer is in the brig on board the Rolvaag? What relationship does Glinn later realize Vallenar shared with Timmer?
This section contains 1,367 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)