|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Glinn reveal has the only key to the dead man switch in Chapter 13?
2. What famous assassination are Glinn's team reenacting when McFarlane arrives at EES's offices in Chapter 6?
3. What unsettling thing does Vallenar do to the Rolvaag in Chapter 36?
4. In Chapter 31, McFarlane claims the meteorite is like what element?
5. In Chapter 31, Rochefort tells McFarlane they have placed what percentage of extra jacks under the meteorite?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does McFarlane hypothesize caused the massive electrical surge that knocked out the equipment on Isla Desolacion? What argument does Lloyd make against this theory?
2. Where does Glinn find Captain Britton? How does this pertain to her decision to take the job he has offered her?
3. How does Vallenar react to Glinn's actions, as shown in Chapter 59? What does Vallenar plan to do next?
4. Why does Glinn's team make an effort to make the ship they are preparing for the expedition look older than it really is?
5. What is Garza and his team doing in the cargo hold in Chapter 60? What danger does this pose?
6. In Chapter 69, what does McFarlane realized caused the electrical discharge from the meteorite in the cargo hold? What does he plan to do about it?
7. Who are the people Sam McFarlane has hired to help him search for meteorites in the Kalahari Desert? How does he win their trust? How does he lose it?
8. What item does Rachel Amira give to McFarlane in the lifeboat? What does she ask McFarlane to do with it?
9. Why is a guard posted at the camp where the meteorite is sitting? What happens on the first night of guard duty?
10. What news does McFarlane bring the bridge in Chapter 72? What does Glinn do about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Masangkay? What is he doing on this isolated island? What is he hoping to find? What does he find? Why does he touch it? What is the weather like when Masangkay finds this item? Does this have an impact on what happens when Masangkay touches this item? What is it later revealed Masangkay's cause of death was? How does this relate to the description of Masangkay's death in the first chapter? What warning does Masangkay's death give to the reader?
Essay Topic 2
What happens once the crew abandons the Rolvaag? Why were they forced to abandon ship in the first place? Where do they go? How do they expect to get rescued? What happens the following morning? What does Amira give to McFarlane? For what reason? What happens to Amira? What happens to McFarlane? What happens to Lloyd? Is this an appropriate result for Lloyd? What does McFarlane realize the meteorite was? Is this accurate information or is McFarlane mentally unbalanced because of the trauma of the ship sinking?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Glinn force Britton to remain at Isla Desolacion when the proximity of Vallenar's ship makes her nervous? How does he force her to remain? Why does Britton allow Glinn to take control of the Rolvaag on several occasions, most often when Vallenar's ship is in pursuit of the Rolvaag? Is Glinn's advice to Britton good advice? What happens to the Rolvaag in the end? Whose fault is it? How might this result have been prevented?
This section contains 2,550 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)