|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What drink has been banned from the Rolvaag?
2. Who is the author of the story mentioned in Chapter 12, 'Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket'?
3. In Chapter 13 Glinn claims they have legal right to take the meteorite despite their desire to keep the meteorite secret. How is this true?
4. What is a dead man switch?
5. What meal does McFarlane recall in Chapter 22 that Masangkay attempted to share with him five years previously as they hid from armored trucks in a foreign country?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Glinn's company, Effective Engineering Solutions, Inc., do? What is their success record? Why does Lloyd hire them?
2. What does McFarlane learn about Amira's relationship with Glinn in Chapter 38 that sheds light on Glinn's personality?
3. What proof in Chapter 30 do McFarlane and Amira get from Glinn that supports their theory that the meteorite is interstellar rather than having come from our solar system?
4. What story of the Ice Limit does Britton tell the people at her table during the first dinner on board the Rolvaag? What famous writer wrote a story about this incident? How is this incident related to Captain Britton? What is important about this story?
5. What operation has Glinn had his men set up on the island to fool any Chilean officials who happen to be watching them? Is anyone watching them?
6. What does Lloyd do when he first sees the meteorite? Who warns against this action? Why?
7. What does a native man find on Isla Desolacion when paddles there in Chapter 2? What does he do about it?
8. For what reason does Glinn want to add Puppup to their crew? Where does Glinn find Puppup in Chapter 18?
9. Who are the people Sam McFarlane has hired to help him search for meteorites in the Kalahari Desert? How does he win their trust? How does he lose it?
10. Who arrives on the Rolvaag via helicopter in Chapter 20? What is the purpose of this visit?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the Rolvagg. What type of ship is it? How does Glinn's team alter it? Where do they plan to put the meteorite once they recover it? What is a dead man's switch? What is its purpose? How does Lloyd feel about the installation of this switch? What other alterations have the team made to the ship? What item do crew members notice on the bridge and in the cargo hold that has been left unexplained? What does it turn out to be?
Essay Topic 2
How is the meteorite removed from the island? What method does Glinn's group use to lift the meteorite from the hole in the ground? How do they move the meteorite from one side of the island to the other? How do they move the meteorite from a bluff above the ship to the ship's cargo hold? Why do they decide to do this under the cover of fog? What must be done to keep the meteorite from rolling around in the cargo hold? What happens while this task is being completed? For what reason?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Britton? What was the nature of the scandal that discredited her as a ships captain? Was Britton guilty of the crime she was accused of? Was Britton unfairly treated for some reason? Explain. Why does Glinn chose Britton as the captain of the Rolvaag? Why does Britton take the job? For what reason is Britton's career important to her at this point in her life? What fear does Britton continuously express while on board the Rolvaag? What drink does Britton ban from the Rolvaag? How does the crew react to this? Explain.
This section contains 1,364 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)