|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the meteorite that caused the falling out between McFarlane and Masangkay?
2. In Chapter 42, what covers the sounds of Timmer's approach as he infiltrates the perimeter of the staging area?
3. Where does Amira tell McFarlane that Glinn earned his military experience?
4. Who does Puppup believe is responsible for the deaths of Evans, Rochefort, and Masangkay?
5. What is the name of the channel where the Rolvaag lowers its anchor during the recovery of the meteorite?
Short Essay Questions
1. What concerns does Glinn have about continuing the expedition in Chapter 46? What concerns does Britton express in the same chapter?
2. What nautical destination does Glinn assume will cause the Almirante Ramirez stop its pursuit of the Rolvaag? Why? Does it?
3. For what reason does Glinn want to add Puppup to their crew? Where does Glinn find Puppup in Chapter 18?
4. In Chapter 66, one of Vallenar's men refuses to follow an order based on what information? What does Vallenar do about this insubordination?
5. What causes Glinn's death in Chapter 83? What fantasy does he have as he dies?
6. Why does Glinn once again take command of the bridge in Chapter 57? What is the result?
7. Who are the people Sam McFarlane has hired to help him search for meteorites in the Kalahari Desert? How does he win their trust? How does he lose it?
8. What causes the computers on the island to fail? What is found in the tunnel with the meteorite?
9. What story of the Ice Limit does Britton tell the people at her table during the first dinner on board the Rolvaag? What famous writer wrote a story about this incident? How is this incident related to Captain Britton? What is important about this story?
10. Palmer Lloyd was sent to his rooms like a bad boy and was filled with anger toward Glinn. What changes his mind in Chapter 58? What does Lloyd plan to do the next time he sees Glinn?
Essay Topic 1
How is the meteorite removed from the island? What method does Glinn's group use to lift the meteorite from the hole in the ground? How do they move the meteorite from one side of the island to the other? How do they move the meteorite from a bluff above the ship to the ship's cargo hold? Why do they decide to do this under the cover of fog? What must be done to keep the meteorite from rolling around in the cargo hold? What happens while this task is being completed? For what reason?
Essay Topic 2
What happens once the crew abandons the Rolvaag? Why were they forced to abandon ship in the first place? Where do they go? How do they expect to get rescued? What happens the following morning? What does Amira give to McFarlane? For what reason? What happens to Amira? What happens to McFarlane? What happens to Lloyd? Is this an appropriate result for Lloyd? What does McFarlane realize the meteorite was? Is this accurate information or is McFarlane mentally unbalanced because of the trauma of the ship sinking?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Glinn force Britton to remain at Isla Desolacion when the proximity of Vallenar's ship makes her nervous? How does he force her to remain? Why does Britton allow Glinn to take control of the Rolvaag on several occasions, most often when Vallenar's ship is in pursuit of the Rolvaag? Is Glinn's advice to Britton good advice? What happens to the Rolvaag in the end? Whose fault is it? How might this result have been prevented?
This section contains 2,572 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)