|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 17, why does Comandante Vallenar tell custom officials that the Americans are after gold on Isla Desolacion?
2. Where does Amira tell McFarlane that Glinn earned his military experience?
3. In Chapter 9, what author does Britton quote before she leaves Glinn?
4. How much does Lloyd promise to pay McFarlane in the end of Chapter 4?
5. What item of modern technology does Sam McFarlane attempt to get San Bushmen to use in order to help him search for meteorites?
Short Essay Questions
1. What crime does Puppup tell Glinn Vallenar once committed? What was calculated about this crime?
2. Why does McFarlane take the broken drill bit to the ship? What does he find on it? What does he decide to do next?
3. What story of the Ice Limit does Britton tell the people at her table during the first dinner on board the Rolvaag? What famous writer wrote a story about this incident? How is this incident related to Captain Britton? What is important about this story?
4. What proof in Chapter 30 do McFarlane and Amira get from Glinn that supports their theory that the meteorite is interstellar rather than having come from our solar system?
5. For what reason does Glinn want to add Puppup to their crew? Where does Glinn find Puppup in Chapter 18?
6. What causes a near collision in Chapter 18 with the Rolvaag? What does this suggest about the dangers of the expedition?
7. What does McFarlane use to create a demonstration of what happens to the ground when a meteorite falls from the sky? Why does McFarlane put on this demonstration? What is the reaction of his audience?
8. What strikes McFarlane as luxurious when he boards the Rolvaag for the first time? What is Glinn's explanation for this unexpected luxury?
9. What does Glinn's company, Effective Engineering Solutions, Inc., do? What is their success record? Why does Lloyd hire them?
10. Who are the people Sam McFarlane has hired to help him search for meteorites in the Kalahari Desert? How does he win their trust? How does he lose it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following character relationships in detail:
1) McFarlane and Masangkay
2) Lloyd and McFarlane
3) Lloyd and Glinn
4) Glinn and McFarlane.
Essay Topic 2
What does McFarlane think causes the meteorite to emit electrical pulses? What is wrong with this theory? Why does Glinn trust in McFarlane's assessment of the situation? Is this a mistake? What happens when Garza's men attempt to finish the welds on the meteorite's cradle? What does McFarlane feel caused this accident? How does McFarlane learn he was wrong? What is the true cause of this unusual element in the meteorite? How does McFarlane take measures to keep this from happening again? Does it work? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Who is Palmer Lloyd? What is he seen buying in the early chapters of the novel? What is unusual about this purchase? What does this say about Palmer Lloyd? What does the reader later learn that Lloyd is building? What is the purpose of this building? What does the purpose of this building suggest about the conflict that will propel the plot of this novel? What will Lloyd put in this building? What does he ask McFarlane to help him procure for this building? What does Lloyd plan to do with this item?
This section contains 1,367 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)