|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What unsettling thing does Vallenar do to the Rolvaag in Chapter 36?
2. Who does Glinn reveal has the only key to the dead man switch in Chapter 13?
3. Where does Amira tell McFarlane that Glinn earned his military experience?
4. What happens in Chapter 33 when Glinn has the power to the hydraulic jacks brought up to seventy percent?
5. How does McFarlane believe the meteorite's arrival on the island impacted the topography of the island?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Glinn's company, Effective Engineering Solutions, Inc., do? What is their success record? Why does Lloyd hire them?
2. What does Dr. Brambell say caused Masangkay's death? How does this impact the expedition at this point?
3. What unusual findings do McFarlane and Glinn make when they remove Masangkay's body for study on the ship in Chapter 27?
4. Why does McFarlane tell Britton in chapter 14 that he decided to study meteorites? What question does Britton ask McFarlane about this expedition?
5. Why does McFarlane take the broken drill bit to the ship? What does he find on it? What does he decide to do next?
6. How does Glinn and his team plan to move the meteorite from one side of the island to the other?
7. Who arrives on the Rolvaag via helicopter in Chapter 20? What is the purpose of this visit?
8. Why does Glinn gather his team and suggest they end the expedition in Chapter 35? Do they?
9. What proof in Chapter 30 do McFarlane and Amira get from Glinn that supports their theory that the meteorite is interstellar rather than having come from our solar system?
10. What story does Puppup tell the men as they make their way to the site of the meteorite in Chapter 22?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Glinn force Britton to remain at Isla Desolacion when the proximity of Vallenar's ship makes her nervous? How does he force her to remain? Why does Britton allow Glinn to take control of the Rolvaag on several occasions, most often when Vallenar's ship is in pursuit of the Rolvaag? Is Glinn's advice to Britton good advice? What happens to the Rolvaag in the end? Whose fault is it? How might this result have been prevented?
Essay Topic 2
What does McFarlane think causes the meteorite to emit electrical pulses? What is wrong with this theory? Why does Glinn trust in McFarlane's assessment of the situation? Is this a mistake? What happens when Garza's men attempt to finish the welds on the meteorite's cradle? What does McFarlane feel caused this accident? How does McFarlane learn he was wrong? What is the true cause of this unusual element in the meteorite? How does McFarlane take measures to keep this from happening again? Does it work? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Why does Britton finally decide that they must use the dead man switch? Why does Lloyd and McFarlane disagree at first? Why do they change their minds? Who has the ultimate decision in regards to the dead man switch? Why does this person refuse to activate the dead man switch? What does this person do instead? Does it work? What does Britton order the crew to do when she realizes it is too late to use the dead man switch? Where does Britton go? For what reason? What does this say about Britton?
This section contains 1,268 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)