|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 38, McFarlane recognizes the twin fangs of Hanuxa as what geological formations?
2. How does McFarlane believe the meteorite's arrival on the island impacted the topography of the island?
3. What does Lloyd want to call the meteorite?
4. What is an electromagnetic tomographic sounder?
5. In Chapter 31, McFarlane claims the meteorite is like what element?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does a native man find on Isla Desolacion when paddles there in Chapter 2? What does he do about it?
2. Why does McFarlane tell Britton in chapter 14 that he decided to study meteorites? What question does Britton ask McFarlane about this expedition?
3. What story of the Ice Limit does Britton tell the people at her table during the first dinner on board the Rolvaag? What famous writer wrote a story about this incident? How is this incident related to Captain Britton? What is important about this story?
4. What does Dr. Brambell say caused Masangkay's death? How does this impact the expedition at this point?
5. What causes a near collision in Chapter 18 with the Rolvaag? What does this suggest about the dangers of the expedition?
6. What does McFarlane use to create a demonstration of what happens to the ground when a meteorite falls from the sky? Why does McFarlane put on this demonstration? What is the reaction of his audience?
7. What crime does Puppup tell Glinn Vallenar once committed? What was calculated about this crime?
8. What unusual findings do McFarlane and Glinn make when they remove Masangkay's body for study on the ship in Chapter 27?
9. Why does McFarlane take the broken drill bit to the ship? What does he find on it? What does he decide to do next?
10. What proof in Chapter 30 do McFarlane and Amira get from Glinn that supports their theory that the meteorite is interstellar rather than having come from our solar system?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Britton finally decide that they must use the dead man switch? Why does Lloyd and McFarlane disagree at first? Why do they change their minds? Who has the ultimate decision in regards to the dead man switch? Why does this person refuse to activate the dead man switch? What does this person do instead? Does it work? What does Britton order the crew to do when she realizes it is too late to use the dead man switch? Where does Britton go? For what reason? What does this say about Britton?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following themes in detail citing examples from the novel:
2) Desire to succeed
Essay Topic 3
What does McFarlane think causes the meteorite to emit electrical pulses? What is wrong with this theory? Why does Glinn trust in McFarlane's assessment of the situation? Is this a mistake? What happens when Garza's men attempt to finish the welds on the meteorite's cradle? What does McFarlane feel caused this accident? How does McFarlane learn he was wrong? What is the true cause of this unusual element in the meteorite? How does McFarlane take measures to keep this from happening again? Does it work? Explain.
This section contains 1,313 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)