|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Puppup react in Chapter 21 as Lloyd, Glinn, and McFarlane admire Isla Desolacion?
2. What is Christie's, the setting of Chapter 3?
3. What illness does Puppup claim killed his wife in Chapter 36?
4. How much does Garza believe the meteorite weighs as discussed in Chapter 31?
5. How has Glinn disguised the labs to be used in the recovery of the meteorite?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is being auction at a Christie's auction house in Chapter 3? What is unusual about the buyer?
2. What operation has Glinn had his men set up on the island to fool any Chilean officials who happen to be watching them? Is anyone watching them?
3. What does Lloyd do when he first sees the meteorite? Who warns against this action? Why?
4. What causes the computers on the island to fail? What is found in the tunnel with the meteorite?
5. Why does Glinn insist that McFarlane accompany him to the island where they will be interviewed by customs? Why does Glinn want himself and McFarlane to present fake passports when they arrive in Chile?
6. Why does Rochefort go into the tunnel with the jacked up meteorite in Chapter 34? What happens?
7. Why does McFarlane tell Britton in chapter 14 that he decided to study meteorites? What question does Britton ask McFarlane about this expedition?
8. What does McFarlane use to create a demonstration of what happens to the ground when a meteorite falls from the sky? Why does McFarlane put on this demonstration? What is the reaction of his audience?
9. What does Glinn's company, Effective Engineering Solutions, Inc., do? What is their success record? Why does Lloyd hire them?
10. What does a native man find on Isla Desolacion when paddles there in Chapter 2? What does he do about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Glinn force Britton to remain at Isla Desolacion when the proximity of Vallenar's ship makes her nervous? How does he force her to remain? Why does Britton allow Glinn to take control of the Rolvaag on several occasions, most often when Vallenar's ship is in pursuit of the Rolvaag? Is Glinn's advice to Britton good advice? What happens to the Rolvaag in the end? Whose fault is it? How might this result have been prevented?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Masangkay? What is he doing on this isolated island? What is he hoping to find? What does he find? Why does he touch it? What is the weather like when Masangkay finds this item? Does this have an impact on what happens when Masangkay touches this item? What is it later revealed Masangkay's cause of death was? How does this relate to the description of Masangkay's death in the first chapter? What warning does Masangkay's death give to the reader?
Essay Topic 3
What does McFarlane think causes the meteorite to emit electrical pulses? What is wrong with this theory? Why does Glinn trust in McFarlane's assessment of the situation? Is this a mistake? What happens when Garza's men attempt to finish the welds on the meteorite's cradle? What does McFarlane feel caused this accident? How does McFarlane learn he was wrong? What is the true cause of this unusual element in the meteorite? How does McFarlane take measures to keep this from happening again? Does it work? Explain.
This section contains 1,343 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)