|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Amira in Chapter 41, what is the look?
2. Why does Palmer Lloyd go to the Kalahari Desert to see Sam McFarlane in Chapter 4?
3. What is Nestor Masangkay looking for on Isla Desolacion?
4. In Chapter 31, Rochefort tells McFarlane they have placed what percentage of extra jacks under the meteorite?
5. What type of ship has Glinn purchased for the recovery of the meteorite?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Glinn insist that McFarlane accompany him to the island where they will be interviewed by customs? Why does Glinn want himself and McFarlane to present fake passports when they arrive in Chile?
2. For what reason does Glinn want to add Puppup to their crew? Where does Glinn find Puppup in Chapter 18?
3. What does Dr. Brambell say caused Masangkay's death? How does this impact the expedition at this point?
4. What does Masangkay anticipate will be the rewards for discovering a unique meteorite on the Isla Desolacion? Who does he wish to pay back?
5. Why does Rochefort go into the tunnel with the jacked up meteorite in Chapter 34? What happens?
6. Who are the people Sam McFarlane has hired to help him search for meteorites in the Kalahari Desert? How does he win their trust? How does he lose it?
7. What is being auction at a Christie's auction house in Chapter 3? What is unusual about the buyer?
8. What operation has Glinn had his men set up on the island to fool any Chilean officials who happen to be watching them? Is anyone watching them?
9. What does McFarlane use to create a demonstration of what happens to the ground when a meteorite falls from the sky? Why does McFarlane put on this demonstration? What is the reaction of his audience?
10. What strikes McFarlane as luxurious when he boards the Rolvaag for the first time? What is Glinn's explanation for this unexpected luxury?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following in detail citing examples from the novel:
3) Point of view
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following themes in detail citing examples from the novel:
2) Desire to succeed
Essay Topic 3
Why does Lloyd fly a helicopter onto the deck of the Rolvaag? What does Lloyd want to be present for? Why does Lloyd insist on going to Isla Desolacion himself? Who insists on going with him? For what reason? What story does Puppup tell as the men make their way to the location where Masangkay found the meteorite? How does this story relate to the meteorite? What does McFarlane insist on doing with the body of Masangkay? How does Glinn react to this request? What does Glinn later do with the body of Masangkay?
This section contains 1,289 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)