|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What meal does McFarlane recall in Chapter 22 that Masangkay attempted to share with him five years previously as they hid from armored trucks in a foreign country?
2. How much does Glinn say it will cost to determine if EES can recover the meteorite from Isla Desolacion in Chapter 7?
3. Who is the author of the story mentioned in Chapter 12, 'Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket'?
4. What is the 'night lunch' mentioned in Chapter 11?
5. What is an electromagnetic tomographic sounder?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Glinn insist that McFarlane accompany him to the island where they will be interviewed by customs? Why does Glinn want himself and McFarlane to present fake passports when they arrive in Chile?
2. In Chapter 69, what does McFarlane realized caused the electrical discharge from the meteorite in the cargo hold? What does he plan to do about it?
3. What happened in the cargo hold that caused the deaths of most of Garza's men? Who does Garza blame? Who does McFarlane blame?
4. What revelation does Glinn make in chapter 68 that explains Vallenar's odd behavior?
5. How does Glinn's team assertain that the dead body is not the guard they thought it was? Who does Glinn believe this man is? What complication does this pose?
6. What does Glinn's company, Effective Engineering Solutions, Inc., do? What is their success record? Why does Lloyd hire them?
7. What does McFarlane hypothesize caused the massive electrical surge that knocked out the equipment on Isla Desolacion? What argument does Lloyd make against this theory?
8. In Chapter 80 Britton suggests it is time to use the dead man switch. What has caused her to come to this conclusion? What is the reaction of those around her?
9. Where does Glinn advise Britton to take the ship in Chapter 74? What argument does Britton make against this plan?
10. What does McFarlane learn about Amira's relationship with Glinn in Chapter 38 that sheds light on Glinn's personality?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following themes in detail citing examples from the novel:
2) Desire to succeed
Essay Topic 2
Who is Timmer? Why does he go to Isla Desolacion? What does he do once he reaches the camp where the meteorite is located? What does he find when he enters the tunnel under the meteorite? Why does Timmer touch the meteorite? What happens when he does? Why? Who does Glinn and his crew think Timmer is when they find his burned body? How do they learn they are wrong? Why does Glinn tell Vallenar that Timmer is in the brig on board the Rolvaag? What relationship does Glinn later realize Vallenar shared with Timmer?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following relationships:
1) Glinn and Britton
2) Vallenar and Timmer
3) McFarlane and Amira
4) Lloyd and Glinn.
This section contains 2,731 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)