|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of bit do Amira and McFarlane attempt to drill the meteorite with?
2. In Chapter 36, Puppup claims to have inherited the remaining treasures of the Yaghan Indians. What does he say he did with it?
3. In Chapter 17, why does Comandante Vallenar tell custom officials that the Americans are after gold on Isla Desolacion?
4. What did Nestor Masangkay call Isla Desolacion?
5. What was Glinn attempting to secure during his military career that caused the loss of his entire team, minus himself and Garza, as Amira tells it in Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. For what reason does Glinn want to add Puppup to their crew? Where does Glinn find Puppup in Chapter 18?
2. What strikes McFarlane as luxurious when he boards the Rolvaag for the first time? What is Glinn's explanation for this unexpected luxury?
3. What does a native man find on Isla Desolacion when paddles there in Chapter 2? What does he do about it?
4. How does Glinn and his team plan to move the meteorite from one side of the island to the other?
5. Why does Glinn gather his team and suggest they end the expedition in Chapter 35? Do they?
6. What causes a near collision in Chapter 18 with the Rolvaag? What does this suggest about the dangers of the expedition?
7. What story of the Ice Limit does Britton tell the people at her table during the first dinner on board the Rolvaag? What famous writer wrote a story about this incident? How is this incident related to Captain Britton? What is important about this story?
8. What does McFarlane learn about Amira's relationship with Glinn in Chapter 38 that sheds light on Glinn's personality?
9. Why does Glinn's team make an effort to make the ship they are preparing for the expedition look older than it really is?
10. What causes the computers on the island to fail? What is found in the tunnel with the meteorite?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do the writers of this novel structure their novel? For what reason? What benefit is there in super short chapters? What benefit is there in multiple view points? How are these elements a deterrent to the comprehension of the novel? How do the writers reveal the true nature of the meteorite? Why does it take the characters so long to figure out the nature of the meteorite? How do the writers use this method of revelation to build suspense in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
How is the meteorite removed from the island? What method does Glinn's group use to lift the meteorite from the hole in the ground? How do they move the meteorite from one side of the island to the other? How do they move the meteorite from a bluff above the ship to the ship's cargo hold? Why do they decide to do this under the cover of fog? What must be done to keep the meteorite from rolling around in the cargo hold? What happens while this task is being completed? For what reason?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Comandante Vallenar? Where do Glinn, McFarlane, and Britton meet him? What problem does Vallenar have with Glinn and his crew? For what reason? Why does Vallenar think Glinn and his crew are interested in Isla Desolacion? Is this true? Is Vallenar ordered by the Chilean government to watch over Glinn and his crew? How does Vallenar react to opposition to his decision to watch over Glinn and his crew? Who does Vallenar send to the Isla Desolacion? How does this impact Vallenar's later decisions?
This section contains 1,363 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)