|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 38, Amira tells McFarlane that she collected what unusual arachnid?
2. In Chapter 28, what item does Vallenar ask the man he is interviewing to give to him?
3. What was Glinn attempting to secure during his military career that caused the loss of his entire team, minus himself and Garza, as Amira tells it in Chapter 11?
4. What drink has been banned from the Rolvaag?
5. In Chapter 41, what does Garza call the plan that they intend to use to move the meteorite from the staging site to the bluffs above the Rolvaag?
Short Essay Questions
1. What strikes McFarlane as luxurious when he boards the Rolvaag for the first time? What is Glinn's explanation for this unexpected luxury?
2. Why does Glinn's team make an effort to make the ship they are preparing for the expedition look older than it really is?
3. What does McFarlane use to create a demonstration of what happens to the ground when a meteorite falls from the sky? Why does McFarlane put on this demonstration? What is the reaction of his audience?
4. What does a native man find on Isla Desolacion when paddles there in Chapter 2? What does he do about it?
5. What does McFarlane learn about Amira's relationship with Glinn in Chapter 38 that sheds light on Glinn's personality?
6. What does Masangkay anticipate will be the rewards for discovering a unique meteorite on the Isla Desolacion? Who does he wish to pay back?
7. What is being auction at a Christie's auction house in Chapter 3? What is unusual about the buyer?
8. What proof in Chapter 30 do McFarlane and Amira get from Glinn that supports their theory that the meteorite is interstellar rather than having come from our solar system?
9. What crime does Puppup tell Glinn Vallenar once committed? What was calculated about this crime?
10. What story of the Ice Limit does Britton tell the people at her table during the first dinner on board the Rolvaag? What famous writer wrote a story about this incident? How is this incident related to Captain Britton? What is important about this story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the team discover when they expose the meteorite? What color is it? Why is this unusual? What is Amira and McFarlane's hypothesis about the color of the meteorite? What else is unusual about the meteorite? How do they discover it is much heavier than expected? What problems does this pose? Why does McFarlane want a sample of the meteorite? What happens when he tries to drill into it? How does McFarlane finally get a sample of the meteorite? What does he learn from this?
Essay Topic 2
What happens once the crew abandons the Rolvaag? Why were they forced to abandon ship in the first place? Where do they go? How do they expect to get rescued? What happens the following morning? What does Amira give to McFarlane? For what reason? What happens to Amira? What happens to McFarlane? What happens to Lloyd? Is this an appropriate result for Lloyd? What does McFarlane realize the meteorite was? Is this accurate information or is McFarlane mentally unbalanced because of the trauma of the ship sinking?
Essay Topic 3
Who is McFarlane? Why did he and Masangkay part ways? Why does Glinn think that McFarlane is unstable? Is he? Who does Glinn have watch over McFarlane during the expedition? When does McFarlane learn about this double cross? What does McFarlane do about this? Why? What is McFarlane's role on the expedition? How many times does McFarlane reassure the others that the meteorite poses no threat to the ship? Does this prove to be true? Explain.
This section contains 1,337 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)