|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 36, Puppup claims to have inherited the remaining treasures of the Yaghan Indians. What does he say he did with it?
2. In Chapter 39, Vallenar reads a letter from what type of scientist?
3. What illness does Puppup claim killed his wife in Chapter 36?
4. In Chapter 31, Rochefort tells McFarlane they have placed what percentage of extra jacks under the meteorite?
5. In Chapter 38, McFarlane recognizes the twin fangs of Hanuxa as what geological formations?
Short Essay Questions
1. When McFarlane is on the phone with Lloyd in Chapter 49 he explains when the meteorite will be moved and learns about an impending problem for the expedition. McFarlane also senses that Lloyd is planning something. How will the meteorite be moved, what impending problem is coming, and what is Lloyd up to?
2. In Chapter 66, one of Vallenar's men refuses to follow an order based on what information? What does Vallenar do about this insubordination?
3. Why does Glinn gather his team and suggest they end the expedition in Chapter 35? Do they?
4. What news does McFarlane bring the bridge in Chapter 72? What does Glinn do about it?
5. Where does Glinn find Captain Britton? How does this pertain to her decision to take the job he has offered her?
6. What report does McFarlane find in Amira's quarters in Chapter 37? What does this report say? How does McFarlane feel about this report?
7. What happened in the cargo hold that caused the deaths of most of Garza's men? Who does Garza blame? Who does McFarlane blame?
8. What assumption does Vallenar make in Chapter 56 when he realizes the Rolvaag is leaving Isle Desolacion? What does he do?
9. Where does Glinn advise Britton to take the ship in Chapter 74? What argument does Britton make against this plan?
10. How does Glinn and his team plan to move the meteorite from one side of the island to the other?
Essay Topic 1
What happens once the crew abandons the Rolvaag? Why were they forced to abandon ship in the first place? Where do they go? How do they expect to get rescued? What happens the following morning? What does Amira give to McFarlane? For what reason? What happens to Amira? What happens to McFarlane? What happens to Lloyd? Is this an appropriate result for Lloyd? What does McFarlane realize the meteorite was? Is this accurate information or is McFarlane mentally unbalanced because of the trauma of the ship sinking?
Essay Topic 2
Who is McFarlane? Why did he and Masangkay part ways? Why does Glinn think that McFarlane is unstable? Is he? Who does Glinn have watch over McFarlane during the expedition? When does McFarlane learn about this double cross? What does McFarlane do about this? Why? What is McFarlane's role on the expedition? How many times does McFarlane reassure the others that the meteorite poses no threat to the ship? Does this prove to be true? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Why does Lloyd fly a helicopter onto the deck of the Rolvaag? What does Lloyd want to be present for? Why does Lloyd insist on going to Isla Desolacion himself? Who insists on going with him? For what reason? What story does Puppup tell as the men make their way to the location where Masangkay found the meteorite? How does this story relate to the meteorite? What does McFarlane insist on doing with the body of Masangkay? How does Glinn react to this request? What does Glinn later do with the body of Masangkay?
This section contains 2,566 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)