Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the meteorite that caused the falling out between McFarlane and Masangkay?
2. In Chapter 42, what covers the sounds of Timmer's approach as he infiltrates the perimeter of the staging area?
3. Where does Amira tell McFarlane that Glinn earned his military experience?
4. Who does Puppup believe is responsible for the deaths of Evans, Rochefort, and Masangkay?
5. What is the name of the channel where the Rolvaag lowers its anchor during the recovery of the meteorite?
Short Essay Questions
1. What concerns does Glinn have about continuing the expedition in Chapter 46? What concerns does Britton express in the same chapter?
2. What nautical destination does Glinn assume will cause the Almirante Ramirez stop its pursuit of the Rolvaag? Why? Does it?
3. For what reason does Glinn want to add Puppup to their crew? Where does Glinn find Puppup in Chapter 18?
4. In Chapter 66, one of Vallenar's men refuses to follow an order based on what information? What does Vallenar do about this insubordination?
5. What causes Glinn's death in Chapter 83? What fantasy does he have as he dies?
6. Why does Glinn once again take command of the bridge in Chapter 57? What is the result?
7. Who are the people Sam McFarlane has hired to help him search for meteorites in the Kalahari Desert? How does he win their trust? How does he lose it?
8. What causes the computers on the island to fail? What is found in the tunnel with the meteorite?
9. What story of the Ice Limit does Britton tell the people at her table during the first dinner on board the Rolvaag? What famous writer wrote a story about this incident? How is this incident related to Captain Britton? What is important about this story?
10. Palmer Lloyd was sent to his rooms like a bad boy and was filled with anger toward Glinn. What changes his mind in Chapter 58? What does Lloyd plan to do the next time he sees Glinn?
Discuss the Rolvagg. What type of ship is it? How does Glinn's team alter it? Where do they plan to put the meteorite once they recover it? What is a dead man's switch? What is its purpose? How does Lloyd feel about the installation of this switch? What other alterations have the team made to the ship? What item do crew members notice on the bridge and in the cargo hold that has been left unexplained? What does it turn out to be?
Discuss one of the following in detail citing examples from the novel:
3) Point of view
Discuss one of the following style elements in detail, discussing how they impact the overall plot of the novel. Cite examples from the novel to support your conclusions:
This section contains 1,219 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)