|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is McFarlane's pet theory that is revealed in Chapter 25?
2. In Chapter 17, why does Comandante Vallenar tell custom officials that the Americans are after gold on Isla Desolacion?
3. How does McFarlane believe the meteorite's arrival on the island impacted the topography of the island?
4. What illness does Puppup claim killed his wife in Chapter 36?
5. Who has Glinn hired to change the outward appearance of the ship purchased for the recovery of the meteorite?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are the people Sam McFarlane has hired to help him search for meteorites in the Kalahari Desert? How does he win their trust? How does he lose it?
2. Why does Glinn gather his team and suggest they end the expedition in Chapter 35? Do they?
3. What does McFarlane learn about Amira's relationship with Glinn in Chapter 38 that sheds light on Glinn's personality?
4. What crime does Puppup tell Glinn Vallenar once committed? What was calculated about this crime?
5. What causes the computers on the island to fail? What is found in the tunnel with the meteorite?
6. Why does Rochefort go into the tunnel with the jacked up meteorite in Chapter 34? What happens?
7. What does Dr. Brambell say caused Masangkay's death? How does this impact the expedition at this point?
8. Why is a guard posted at the camp where the meteorite is sitting? What happens on the first night of guard duty?
9. What does Glinn's company, Effective Engineering Solutions, Inc., do? What is their success record? Why does Lloyd hire them?
10. What story does Puppup tell the men as they make their way to the site of the meteorite in Chapter 22?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following character relationships in detail:
1) McFarlane and Masangkay
2) Lloyd and McFarlane
3) Lloyd and Glinn
4) Glinn and McFarlane.
Essay Topic 2
How is the meteorite removed from the island? What method does Glinn's group use to lift the meteorite from the hole in the ground? How do they move the meteorite from one side of the island to the other? How do they move the meteorite from a bluff above the ship to the ship's cargo hold? Why do they decide to do this under the cover of fog? What must be done to keep the meteorite from rolling around in the cargo hold? What happens while this task is being completed? For what reason?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Lloyd fly a helicopter onto the deck of the Rolvaag? What does Lloyd want to be present for? Why does Lloyd insist on going to Isla Desolacion himself? Who insists on going with him? For what reason? What story does Puppup tell as the men make their way to the location where Masangkay found the meteorite? How does this story relate to the meteorite? What does McFarlane insist on doing with the body of Masangkay? How does Glinn react to this request? What does Glinn later do with the body of Masangkay?
This section contains 1,276 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)