|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Glinn reveal has the only key to the dead man switch in Chapter 13?
2. Who has Glinn hired to change the outward appearance of the ship purchased for the recovery of the meteorite?
3. In Chapter 42, what covers the sounds of Timmer's approach as he infiltrates the perimeter of the staging area?
4. What is the name of the Thomas Cole painting Palmer Lloyd loves the most of all his rare and valuable belongings, as described in Chapter 5?
5. How much does Glinn say it will cost to determine if EES can recover the meteorite from Isla Desolacion in Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who arrives on the Rolvaag via helicopter in Chapter 20? What is the purpose of this visit?
2. What operation has Glinn had his men set up on the island to fool any Chilean officials who happen to be watching them? Is anyone watching them?
3. What does Masangkay anticipate will be the rewards for discovering a unique meteorite on the Isla Desolacion? Who does he wish to pay back?
4. What story of the Ice Limit does Britton tell the people at her table during the first dinner on board the Rolvaag? What famous writer wrote a story about this incident? How is this incident related to Captain Britton? What is important about this story?
5. Why does Glinn insist that McFarlane accompany him to the island where they will be interviewed by customs? Why does Glinn want himself and McFarlane to present fake passports when they arrive in Chile?
6. What crime does Puppup tell Glinn Vallenar once committed? What was calculated about this crime?
7. What report does McFarlane find in Amira's quarters in Chapter 37? What does this report say? How does McFarlane feel about this report?
8. What does Dr. Brambell say caused Masangkay's death? How does this impact the expedition at this point?
9. What is being auction at a Christie's auction house in Chapter 3? What is unusual about the buyer?
10. Where does Glinn find Captain Britton? How does this pertain to her decision to take the job he has offered her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Palmer Lloyd? What is he seen buying in the early chapters of the novel? What is unusual about this purchase? What does this say about Palmer Lloyd? What does the reader later learn that Lloyd is building? What is the purpose of this building? What does the purpose of this building suggest about the conflict that will propel the plot of this novel? What will Lloyd put in this building? What does he ask McFarlane to help him procure for this building? What does Lloyd plan to do with this item?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following in detail citing examples from the novel:
3) Point of view
Essay Topic 3
Who is Britton? What was the nature of the scandal that discredited her as a ships captain? Was Britton guilty of the crime she was accused of? Was Britton unfairly treated for some reason? Explain. Why does Glinn chose Britton as the captain of the Rolvaag? Why does Britton take the job? For what reason is Britton's career important to her at this point in her life? What fear does Britton continuously express while on board the Rolvaag? What drink does Britton ban from the Rolvaag? How does the crew react to this? Explain.
This section contains 1,277 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)