|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 32, what does Bramwell find unusual about Masangkay's bones?
2. What is the melting point of the meteorite?
3. What is Nestor Masangkay looking for on Isla Desolacion?
4. In Chapter 36, Glinn claims his great-great-great grandfather kidnapped what relative of Puppup's?
5. How does Glinn plan to keep the meteorite stable during travel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are the people Sam McFarlane has hired to help him search for meteorites in the Kalahari Desert? How does he win their trust? How does he lose it?
2. What causes a near collision in Chapter 18 with the Rolvaag? What does this suggest about the dangers of the expedition?
3. What strikes McFarlane as luxurious when he boards the Rolvaag for the first time? What is Glinn's explanation for this unexpected luxury?
4. Why does Glinn insist that McFarlane accompany him to the island where they will be interviewed by customs? Why does Glinn want himself and McFarlane to present fake passports when they arrive in Chile?
5. What does Lloyd do when he first sees the meteorite? Who warns against this action? Why?
6. Who arrives on the Rolvaag via helicopter in Chapter 20? What is the purpose of this visit?
7. What causes the computers on the island to fail? What is found in the tunnel with the meteorite?
8. What does Glinn's company, Effective Engineering Solutions, Inc., do? What is their success record? Why does Lloyd hire them?
9. What does Masangkay anticipate will be the rewards for discovering a unique meteorite on the Isla Desolacion? Who does he wish to pay back?
10. Where does Glinn find Captain Britton? How does this pertain to her decision to take the job he has offered her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is McFarlane? Why did he and Masangkay part ways? Why does Glinn think that McFarlane is unstable? Is he? Who does Glinn have watch over McFarlane during the expedition? When does McFarlane learn about this double cross? What does McFarlane do about this? Why? What is McFarlane's role on the expedition? How many times does McFarlane reassure the others that the meteorite poses no threat to the ship? Does this prove to be true? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
What does McFarlane think causes the meteorite to emit electrical pulses? What is wrong with this theory? Why does Glinn trust in McFarlane's assessment of the situation? Is this a mistake? What happens when Garza's men attempt to finish the welds on the meteorite's cradle? What does McFarlane feel caused this accident? How does McFarlane learn he was wrong? What is the true cause of this unusual element in the meteorite? How does McFarlane take measures to keep this from happening again? Does it work? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Who is Masangkay? What is he doing on this isolated island? What is he hoping to find? What does he find? Why does he touch it? What is the weather like when Masangkay finds this item? Does this have an impact on what happens when Masangkay touches this item? What is it later revealed Masangkay's cause of death was? How does this relate to the description of Masangkay's death in the first chapter? What warning does Masangkay's death give to the reader?
This section contains 1,255 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)