|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 17, why does Comandante Vallenar tell custom officials that the Americans are after gold on Isla Desolacion?
2. In Chapter 42, what damage to the cart beneath the meteorite makes McFarlane believe the disturbance was an electrical arc rather than a bomb?
3. How big does Garza believe the meteorite is as discussed in Chapter 31?
4. In Chapter 35, Glinn tells the team that the mass of the meteorite has been updated after the jack failure. What is the new estimated mass?
5. What is the melting point of the meteorite?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are the people Sam McFarlane has hired to help him search for meteorites in the Kalahari Desert? How does he win their trust? How does he lose it?
2. What story of the Ice Limit does Britton tell the people at her table during the first dinner on board the Rolvaag? What famous writer wrote a story about this incident? How is this incident related to Captain Britton? What is important about this story?
3. What unusual findings do McFarlane and Glinn make when they remove Masangkay's body for study on the ship in Chapter 27?
4. What story does Puppup tell the men as they make their way to the site of the meteorite in Chapter 22?
5. Why does Rochefort go into the tunnel with the jacked up meteorite in Chapter 34? What happens?
6. What does Masangkay anticipate will be the rewards for discovering a unique meteorite on the Isla Desolacion? Who does he wish to pay back?
7. What does Lloyd do when he first sees the meteorite? Who warns against this action? Why?
8. What causes the computers on the island to fail? What is found in the tunnel with the meteorite?
9. What does McFarlane use to create a demonstration of what happens to the ground when a meteorite falls from the sky? Why does McFarlane put on this demonstration? What is the reaction of his audience?
10. Why does McFarlane take the broken drill bit to the ship? What does he find on it? What does he decide to do next?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do the writers of this novel structure their novel? For what reason? What benefit is there in super short chapters? What benefit is there in multiple view points? How are these elements a deterrent to the comprehension of the novel? How do the writers reveal the true nature of the meteorite? Why does it take the characters so long to figure out the nature of the meteorite? How do the writers use this method of revelation to build suspense in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following character relationships in detail:
1) McFarlane and Masangkay
2) Lloyd and McFarlane
3) Lloyd and Glinn
4) Glinn and McFarlane.
Essay Topic 3
How is the meteorite removed from the island? What method does Glinn's group use to lift the meteorite from the hole in the ground? How do they move the meteorite from one side of the island to the other? How do they move the meteorite from a bluff above the ship to the ship's cargo hold? Why do they decide to do this under the cover of fog? What must be done to keep the meteorite from rolling around in the cargo hold? What happens while this task is being completed? For what reason?
This section contains 1,410 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)