|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 32, what does Bramwell find unusual about Masangkay's bones?
2. What color is the meteorite when it is finally exposed in Chapter 24?
3. Why does Glinn tell Britton in Chapter 18 that they should not worry about Vallenar?
4. What is the melting point of the meteorite?
5. What is an electromagnetic tomographic sounder?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does a native man find on Isla Desolacion when paddles there in Chapter 2? What does he do about it?
2. How does Glinn and his team plan to move the meteorite from one side of the island to the other?
3. Why does Glinn's team make an effort to make the ship they are preparing for the expedition look older than it really is?
4. For what reason does Glinn want to add Puppup to their crew? Where does Glinn find Puppup in Chapter 18?
5. Why does McFarlane take the broken drill bit to the ship? What does he find on it? What does he decide to do next?
6. What strikes McFarlane as luxurious when he boards the Rolvaag for the first time? What is Glinn's explanation for this unexpected luxury?
7. What does Glinn's company, Effective Engineering Solutions, Inc., do? What is their success record? Why does Lloyd hire them?
8. What is being auction at a Christie's auction house in Chapter 3? What is unusual about the buyer?
9. Why does Glinn gather his team and suggest they end the expedition in Chapter 35? Do they?
10. Why does McFarlane tell Britton in chapter 14 that he decided to study meteorites? What question does Britton ask McFarlane about this expedition?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is McFarlane? Why did he and Masangkay part ways? Why does Glinn think that McFarlane is unstable? Is he? Who does Glinn have watch over McFarlane during the expedition? When does McFarlane learn about this double cross? What does McFarlane do about this? Why? What is McFarlane's role on the expedition? How many times does McFarlane reassure the others that the meteorite poses no threat to the ship? Does this prove to be true? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Why does Lloyd fly a helicopter onto the deck of the Rolvaag? What does Lloyd want to be present for? Why does Lloyd insist on going to Isla Desolacion himself? Who insists on going with him? For what reason? What story does Puppup tell as the men make their way to the location where Masangkay found the meteorite? How does this story relate to the meteorite? What does McFarlane insist on doing with the body of Masangkay? How does Glinn react to this request? What does Glinn later do with the body of Masangkay?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following in detail citing examples from the novel:
3) Point of view
This section contains 1,216 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)