|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 38, McFarlane recognizes the twin fangs of Hanuxa as what geological formations?
2. Why does Palmer Lloyd go to the Kalahari Desert to see Sam McFarlane in Chapter 4?
3. In Chapter 42, how does Timmer find the door to the tunnel where the meteorite sits?
4. Where does Amira tell McFarlane that Glinn earned his military experience?
5. What color is the meteorite when it is finally exposed in Chapter 24?
Short Essay Questions
1. What crime does Puppup tell Glinn Vallenar once committed? What was calculated about this crime?
2. What does McFarlane learn about Amira's relationship with Glinn in Chapter 38 that sheds light on Glinn's personality?
3. What operation has Glinn had his men set up on the island to fool any Chilean officials who happen to be watching them? Is anyone watching them?
4. What story of the Ice Limit does Britton tell the people at her table during the first dinner on board the Rolvaag? What famous writer wrote a story about this incident? How is this incident related to Captain Britton? What is important about this story?
5. What story does Puppup tell the men as they make their way to the site of the meteorite in Chapter 22?
6. Who arrives on the Rolvaag via helicopter in Chapter 20? What is the purpose of this visit?
7. What causes a near collision in Chapter 18 with the Rolvaag? What does this suggest about the dangers of the expedition?
8. Why does Glinn's team make an effort to make the ship they are preparing for the expedition look older than it really is?
9. What report does McFarlane find in Amira's quarters in Chapter 37? What does this report say? How does McFarlane feel about this report?
10. Why does Glinn gather his team and suggest they end the expedition in Chapter 35? Do they?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is McFarlane? Why did he and Masangkay part ways? Why does Glinn think that McFarlane is unstable? Is he? Who does Glinn have watch over McFarlane during the expedition? When does McFarlane learn about this double cross? What does McFarlane do about this? Why? What is McFarlane's role on the expedition? How many times does McFarlane reassure the others that the meteorite poses no threat to the ship? Does this prove to be true? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Who is Timmer? Why does he go to Isla Desolacion? What does he do once he reaches the camp where the meteorite is located? What does he find when he enters the tunnel under the meteorite? Why does Timmer touch the meteorite? What happens when he does? Why? Who does Glinn and his crew think Timmer is when they find his burned body? How do they learn they are wrong? Why does Glinn tell Vallenar that Timmer is in the brig on board the Rolvaag? What relationship does Glinn later realize Vallenar shared with Timmer?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following relationships:
1) Glinn and Britton
2) Vallenar and Timmer
3) McFarlane and Amira
4) Lloyd and Glinn.
This section contains 1,223 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)