|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Glinn ask to meet McFarlane in Chapter 20?
2. Why does Masangkay touch his find in Chapter 1?
3. What type of bit do Amira and McFarlane attempt to drill the meteorite with?
4. What is McFarlane's pet theory that is revealed in Chapter 25?
5. Who does Puppup believe is responsible for the deaths of Evans, Rochefort, and Masangkay?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does a native man find on Isla Desolacion when paddles there in Chapter 2? What does he do about it?
2. What story does Puppup tell the men as they make their way to the site of the meteorite in Chapter 22?
3. What causes a near collision in Chapter 18 with the Rolvaag? What does this suggest about the dangers of the expedition?
4. How does Glinn and his team plan to move the meteorite from one side of the island to the other?
5. Why does Glinn insist that McFarlane accompany him to the island where they will be interviewed by customs? Why does Glinn want himself and McFarlane to present fake passports when they arrive in Chile?
6. Why does McFarlane take the broken drill bit to the ship? What does he find on it? What does he decide to do next?
7. What proof in Chapter 30 do McFarlane and Amira get from Glinn that supports their theory that the meteorite is interstellar rather than having come from our solar system?
8. What causes the computers on the island to fail? What is found in the tunnel with the meteorite?
9. For what reason does Glinn want to add Puppup to their crew? Where does Glinn find Puppup in Chapter 18?
10. What does Dr. Brambell say caused Masangkay's death? How does this impact the expedition at this point?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do the writers of this novel structure their novel? For what reason? What benefit is there in super short chapters? What benefit is there in multiple view points? How are these elements a deterrent to the comprehension of the novel? How do the writers reveal the true nature of the meteorite? Why does it take the characters so long to figure out the nature of the meteorite? How do the writers use this method of revelation to build suspense in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
What happens once the crew abandons the Rolvaag? Why were they forced to abandon ship in the first place? Where do they go? How do they expect to get rescued? What happens the following morning? What does Amira give to McFarlane? For what reason? What happens to Amira? What happens to McFarlane? What happens to Lloyd? Is this an appropriate result for Lloyd? What does McFarlane realize the meteorite was? Is this accurate information or is McFarlane mentally unbalanced because of the trauma of the ship sinking?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Lloyd fly a helicopter onto the deck of the Rolvaag? What does Lloyd want to be present for? Why does Lloyd insist on going to Isla Desolacion himself? Who insists on going with him? For what reason? What story does Puppup tell as the men make their way to the location where Masangkay found the meteorite? How does this story relate to the meteorite? What does McFarlane insist on doing with the body of Masangkay? How does Glinn react to this request? What does Glinn later do with the body of Masangkay?
This section contains 1,356 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)