|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Amira tell McFarlane that Glinn earned his military experience?
2. In Chapter 38, Amira tells McFarlane that she collected what unusual arachnid?
3. What did Nestor Masangkay call Isla Desolacion?
4. In Chapter 38, McFarlane recognizes the twin fangs of Hanuxa as what geological formations?
5. What state does the meteorite become when it reaches its melting point?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is a guard posted at the camp where the meteorite is sitting? What happens on the first night of guard duty?
2. For what reason does Glinn want to add Puppup to their crew? Where does Glinn find Puppup in Chapter 18?
3. Who arrives on the Rolvaag via helicopter in Chapter 20? What is the purpose of this visit?
4. What unusual findings do McFarlane and Glinn make when they remove Masangkay's body for study on the ship in Chapter 27?
5. Why does Glinn gather his team and suggest they end the expedition in Chapter 35? Do they?
6. Who are the people Sam McFarlane has hired to help him search for meteorites in the Kalahari Desert? How does he win their trust? How does he lose it?
7. Why does Glinn's team make an effort to make the ship they are preparing for the expedition look older than it really is?
8. Where does Glinn find Captain Britton? How does this pertain to her decision to take the job he has offered her?
9. What story does Puppup tell the men as they make their way to the site of the meteorite in Chapter 22?
10. What does Dr. Brambell say caused Masangkay's death? How does this impact the expedition at this point?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Britton finally decide that they must use the dead man switch? Why does Lloyd and McFarlane disagree at first? Why do they change their minds? Who has the ultimate decision in regards to the dead man switch? Why does this person refuse to activate the dead man switch? What does this person do instead? Does it work? What does Britton order the crew to do when she realizes it is too late to use the dead man switch? Where does Britton go? For what reason? What does this say about Britton?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following in detail citing examples from the novel:
3) Point of view
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following character relationships in detail:
1) McFarlane and Masangkay
2) Lloyd and McFarlane
3) Lloyd and Glinn
4) Glinn and McFarlane.
This section contains 1,052 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)