|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 70, what is Vallenar's greatest fear as the waves begin to take their toll on his ship?
(a) He will not see his son again.
(b) He will die.
(c) He will not be able to retrieve the meteorite for Chile.
(d) He will not be able to complete his mission.
2. In Chapter 74, what prevents the Rolvaag from hiding as it enters the Ice Limit?
(a) The size of the Rolvaag.
(b) Bright light.
(c) Lack of ice.
(d) The Almirante Ramirez is too close.
3. In Chapter 53, how long does it take for the meteorite to become settled on the tower that will lower it into the cargo hold?
(a) Forty-five minutes.
(b) Twenty minutes.
(c) Twenty-four hours.
(d) Two hours.
4. In Chapter 46, what event keeps Glinn and his scientists from understanding why the meteorite appears to kill when touched?
(a) The bomb that must have killed Vallenar's man.
(b) Lloyd's touch of the meteorite when it was first uncovered.
(c) The lightening that clearly killed Masangkay.
(d) McFarlane's touch of the meteorite the day it was first uncovered.
5. In Chapter 78, what happens each time the Rolvaag rolls against the waves?
(a) The ship tips forward too far.
(b) The ship sinks deeper into the ocean.
(c) The ship vibrates in the center, threatening to rip in two.
(d) The ship rolls over on its side.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does McFarlane tell Glinn in chapter 47 when he asks how safe the meteorite is?
2. In Chapter 69, what do Amira and McFarlane use to protect the ship from the meteorite's power?
3. In Chapter 71, why does Amira confess to McFarlane that she wants to continue studying the meteorite even after they arrive back in the States?
4. In Chapter 47, what reason does Glinn give McFarlane for keeping in communications with Lloyd?
5. In Chapter 44, what does Glinn instruct his men to ask Britton to send to the staging area?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Garza and his team doing in the cargo hold in Chapter 60? What danger does this pose?
2. In Chapter 82 Lloyd and McFarlane change their position on the meteorite. Who refuses to listen? What happens next?
3. In Chapter 80 Britton suggests it is time to use the dead man switch. What has caused her to come to this conclusion? What is the reaction of those around her?
4. What revelation does Glinn make in chapter 68 that explains Vallenar's odd behavior?
5. What nautical destination does Glinn assume will cause the Almirante Ramirez stop its pursuit of the Rolvaag? Why? Does it?
6. Where is the Rolvaag hit, as determined by Britton in Chapter 75? What does this damage suggest to Britton?
7. What happened in the cargo hold that caused the deaths of most of Garza's men? Who does Garza blame? Who does McFarlane blame?
8. When McFarlane is on the phone with Lloyd in Chapter 49 he explains when the meteorite will be moved and learns about an impending problem for the expedition. McFarlane also senses that Lloyd is planning something. How will the meteorite be moved, what impending problem is coming, and what is Lloyd up to?
9. Why does Glinn once again take command of the bridge in Chapter 57? What is the result?
10. What news does McFarlane bring the bridge in Chapter 72? What does Glinn do about it?
This section contains 1,415 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)