|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 44, Glinn says that the meteorite has confounded all EES expectations. What does Glinn recommend they do now?
(a) Continue with caution.
(b) Abort the project.
(c) Ask for help from another meteorite expert.
(d) Call in reinforcements.
2. In Chapter 61, what happens to the bridge's computers as they watch the movement on radar of the ship in pursuit of the Rolvaag?
(a) They burn out and go dark.
(b) They begin giving false readings.
(d) They momentarily shut down or lose some power.
3. In Chapter 45, Glinn makes a comment about the mysterious dead man in Spanish. What does this statement suggest to both McFarlane and the reader?
(a) Glinn speaks in Spanish when he does not want anyone to know what he is saying.
(b) Glinn is having a nervous breakdown.
(c) Glinn has no clue who the man was or who sent him.
(d) Glinn thinks the man was sent by Vallenar.
4. In Chapter 51, what does the Almirante Ramirez do that causes tension on the Rolvaag's bridge?
(a) Fires with a machine gun.
(b) Locks on weapons.
(c) Fires a missle.
(d) Moves to block the only exit to the channel.
5. In Chapter 71, what item of jewelry does Amira ask to wear of McFarlane's in a moment of intimacy?
(a) His grandmother's brooch.
(b) His high school class ring.
(c) His mother's wedding ring.
(d) His MIT ring.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 76, what does Vallenar believe Captain Britton is attempting to do in the Ice Limit?
2. In Chapter 61, what type of job does Lloyd decide he will offer Puppup at the Lloyd Museum?
3. In Chapter 48, why does Glinn visit the Almirante Ramirez?
4. In Chapter 59, what orders does Vallenar believe his men are awaiting?
5. In Chapter 65, what does Glinn realize the Almirante Ramirez has really done?
Short Essay Questions
1. What news does McFarlane bring the bridge in Chapter 72? What does Glinn do about it?
2. When McFarlane is on the phone with Lloyd in Chapter 49 he explains when the meteorite will be moved and learns about an impending problem for the expedition. McFarlane also senses that Lloyd is planning something. How will the meteorite be moved, what impending problem is coming, and what is Lloyd up to?
3. What happens in Chapter 77 when the Almirante Ramirez comes around the corner of the ice island and faces the Rolvaag?
4. How does Glinn's team assertain that the dead body is not the guard they thought it was? Who does Glinn believe this man is? What complication does this pose?
5. What assumption does Vallenar make in Chapter 56 when he realizes the Rolvaag is leaving Isle Desolacion? What does he do?
6. Where does Glinn advise Britton to take the ship in Chapter 74? What argument does Britton make against this plan?
7. In Chapter 66, one of Vallenar's men refuses to follow an order based on what information? What does Vallenar do about this insubordination?
8. What item does Rachel Amira give to McFarlane in the lifeboat? What does she ask McFarlane to do with it?
9. What, as described in Chapter 50, is Vallenar's plan in regards to the Rolvaag?
10. What does McFarlane hypothesize caused the massive electrical surge that knocked out the equipment on Isla Desolacion? What argument does Lloyd make against this theory?
This section contains 1,371 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)