|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 78, how long can the Rolvaag expect to have auxiliary power?
(a) Twenty hours.
(b) Twenty-five hours.
(c) Fifteen hours.
(d) Three hours.
2. In Chapter 66, why does a man on the Almirante Ramirez refuses a direct order?
(a) He believes they should be sailing faster.
(b) He believes Vallenar killed several crewmembers without good cause.
(c) He does not like Vallenar.
(d) He believes Vallenar is working outside his authorization.
3. In Chapter 61, what type of ship does Lloyd hope is following them into international waters?
(a) An American tanker.
(b) An American military vessel.
(c) A Chilean military vessel.
(d) A merchant ship.
4. In Chapter 59, why does Vallenar request a team of six go into the water to repair the propellers?
(a) At least one of them will live long enough to finish the job.
(b) It takes six to lift the heavy propellers.
(c) It takes six to bolt the propeller to the ship.
(d) At least that many are necessary to remove the old propellers.
5. In Chapter 72, what does Britton believe finally proved Glinn human?
(a) Admitting to his affection for her.
(b) Knowing more than everyone else.
(c) Bleeding in an accident.
(d) Being wrong.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 53, how long does it take for the meteorite to become settled on the tower that will lower it into the cargo hold?
2. In Chapter 80, what does Britton discover missing from the main deck?
3. In Chapter 58, who does Lloyd give ultimate credit to for the success of the recovery of the meteorite?
4. In Chapter 70, what is Vallenar's greatest fear as the waves begin to take their toll on his ship?
5. In Chapter 44, what does Glinn instruct his men to ask Britton to send to the staging area?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 82 Lloyd and McFarlane change their position on the meteorite. Who refuses to listen? What happens next?
2. In Chapter 80 Britton suggests it is time to use the dead man switch. What has caused her to come to this conclusion? What is the reaction of those around her?
3. How does Britton feel about the actions Glinn took against her in Chapter 52 as described in Chapter 53? Who offers his loyal support to Britton? How does this make her feel?
4. What is Garza and his team doing in the cargo hold in Chapter 60? What danger does this pose?
5. What item does Rachel Amira give to McFarlane in the lifeboat? What does she ask McFarlane to do with it?
6. When McFarlane is on the phone with Lloyd in Chapter 49 he explains when the meteorite will be moved and learns about an impending problem for the expedition. McFarlane also senses that Lloyd is planning something. How will the meteorite be moved, what impending problem is coming, and what is Lloyd up to?
7. Where is the Rolvaag hit, as determined by Britton in Chapter 75? What does this damage suggest to Britton?
8. In Chapter 65, what danger does Glinn identify for the Rolvaag? What action does he recommend taking against it?
9. What, as described in Chapter 50, is Vallenar's plan in regards to the Rolvaag?
10. What happens in Chapter 77 when the Almirante Ramirez comes around the corner of the ice island and faces the Rolvaag?
This section contains 1,395 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)