|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 59, why does Vallenar request a team of six go into the water to repair the propellers?
(a) At least that many are necessary to remove the old propellers.
(b) It takes six to lift the heavy propellers.
(c) It takes six to bolt the propeller to the ship.
(d) At least one of them will live long enough to finish the job.
2. In Chapter 78, who does Britton inform her officers to call for help?
(a) The Chilean military.
(b) The American Coast Guard.
(c) The British Naval base on Georgia Island.
(d) The Peru government.
3. In Chapter 60, who gets credit for keeping the cradle design simple in order to make the welding quick?
4. In Chapter 57, what does Britton say she thinks of Glinn's mental state?
(a) That he is manic depressive.
(b) That he is highly intelligent.
(c) That he is insane.
(d) That he is the sanest man she knows.
5. In Chapter 65, what does Glinn realize the Almirante Ramirez has really done?
(a) Forced them to surrender.
(b) Blocked off all means of escape.
(c) Forced them to drop the meteorite.
(d) Trapped them against a reef.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 47, who does McFarlane point out is blocking the only exit out of the channel?
2. In Chapter 80, what does Britton discover missing from the main deck?
3. In Chapter 57, what weapons system does Glinn reveal he has placed on the Rolvaag?
4. In Chapter 50, Vallenar learns he has been issued a second order to do what?
5. In Chapter 64, where does Britton plan to take the Rolvag out of Drake Passage?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Britton feel about the actions Glinn took against her in Chapter 52 as described in Chapter 53? Who offers his loyal support to Britton? How does this make her feel?
2. Where does Glinn advise Britton to take the ship in Chapter 74? What argument does Britton make against this plan?
3. What difficulties is the Almirante Ramirez suffering in Chapter 70 that makes its pursuit of the Rolvaag more difficult?
4. Where is the Rolvaag hit, as determined by Britton in Chapter 75? What does this damage suggest to Britton?
5. What, as described in Chapter 50, is Vallenar's plan in regards to the Rolvaag?
6. What causes Glinn's death in Chapter 83? What fantasy does he have as he dies?
7. In Chapter 82 Lloyd and McFarlane change their position on the meteorite. Who refuses to listen? What happens next?
8. Where does Glinn go in Chapter 48? What is he wearing that suggests he expects danger on this trip?
9. How many people got off the Rolvaag as revealed in Chapter 84? How many died?
10. When McFarlane is on the phone with Lloyd in Chapter 49 he explains when the meteorite will be moved and learns about an impending problem for the expedition. McFarlane also senses that Lloyd is planning something. How will the meteorite be moved, what impending problem is coming, and what is Lloyd up to?
This section contains 1,261 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)