|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 83, what does Britton ask Glinn to do?
(a) Marry her.
(b) Trigger the dead man switch.
(c) Leave on a lifeboat with her.
(d) Release the tarp on the meteorite.
2. In Chapter 61, what item does Glinn reveal he brought an entire case of on board the Rolvaag?
(a) Red Wine.
(b) White Wine.
3. In Chapter 53, how long does it take for the meteorite to become settled on the tower that will lower it into the cargo hold?
(a) Two hours.
(b) Twenty-four hours.
(c) Twenty minutes.
(d) Forty-five minutes.
4. In Chapter 61, what is Britton counting down?
(a) Minutes until the Almirante Ramirez will surely be sunk.
(b) Minutes until they return to the Chilean coast.
(c) Minutes until they reach American waters.
(d) Minutes until they cross into international waters.
5. In Chapter 73, what failure does Garza report will cause the meteorite to eventually break free of its cradle?
(a) Failure of the hull along the sides of the cargo hold.
(b) Failure of critical point welds.
(c) Failure of mulitple welds at once.
(d) Failure of the tarps enclosing the meteorite.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 77, what does Glinn express a desire to learn from Britton?
2. In Chapter 56, why does Vallenar think the Rolvaag is still moored to the cliffs despite the incoming storm?
3. In Chapter 69, what does McFarlane hear in the cargo hold that helps him come to a conclusion as to what caused the meteorite to discharge electricity not only this one time, but every time?
4. In Chapter 58, who does Lloyd give ultimate credit to for the success of the recovery of the meteorite?
5. In the final chapter of the novel, where do the survivors find themselves three days after rescue?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Vallenar react to Glinn's actions, as shown in Chapter 59? What does Vallenar plan to do next?
2. What causes Glinn's death in Chapter 83? What fantasy does he have as he dies?
3. Where is the Rolvaag hit, as determined by Britton in Chapter 75? What does this damage suggest to Britton?
4. Where does Glinn advise Britton to take the ship in Chapter 74? What argument does Britton make against this plan?
5. When McFarlane is on the phone with Lloyd in Chapter 49 he explains when the meteorite will be moved and learns about an impending problem for the expedition. McFarlane also senses that Lloyd is planning something. How will the meteorite be moved, what impending problem is coming, and what is Lloyd up to?
6. What happens in Chapter 77 when the Almirante Ramirez comes around the corner of the ice island and faces the Rolvaag?
7. How does Britton feel about the actions Glinn took against her in Chapter 52 as described in Chapter 53? Who offers his loyal support to Britton? How does this make her feel?
8. In Chapter 82 Lloyd and McFarlane change their position on the meteorite. Who refuses to listen? What happens next?
9. In Chapter 80 Britton suggests it is time to use the dead man switch. What has caused her to come to this conclusion? What is the reaction of those around her?
10. What assumption does Vallenar make in Chapter 56 when he realizes the Rolvaag is leaving Isle Desolacion? What does he do?
This section contains 1,381 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)