|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 60, what happens in the seconds before the meteorite sets off yet another electrical surge?
(a) The ship rolls.
(b) The hull breaks.
(c) The cradle fails.
(d) Someone touches the meteorite.
2. In Chapter 69, what does Amira suggest set off the electrical charge?
(a) Someone touched it.
(b) Nothing, it did not happen.
(c) Nothing, it was random.
(d) Someone hit it with the heat of a torch.
3. In Chapter 57, what does Glinn want Puppup to do?
(a) Radio Chilean authorities to force Vallenar to back off of them.
(b) Tell them where they can safely hide from the Almirante Ramirez.
(c) Direct the Rolvaag into an inner cove.
(d) Direct the Rolvaag safely through the reefs.
4. In Chapter 64, where does Britton plan to take the Rolvag out of Drake Passage?
(a) Toward South America to escape the gale.
(b) Toward American waters.
(c) Toward the Ice Limit.
(d) Toward a British Naval Base on Georgia Island.
5. In Chapter 58, who does Lloyd give ultimate credit to for the success of the recovery of the meteorite?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 44, Glinn calls what person to inform them on the current situation?
2. In Chapter 72, what does Britton believe finally proved Glinn human?
3. In Chapter 53, how long does it take for the meteorite to become settled on the tower that will lower it into the cargo hold?
4. In Chapter 69, what do Amira and McFarlane use to protect the ship from the meteorite's power?
5. In Chapter 64, Glinn repeatedly suggests Vallenar will do what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Glinn go in Chapter 48? What is he wearing that suggests he expects danger on this trip?
2. What happened in the cargo hold that caused the deaths of most of Garza's men? Who does Garza blame? Who does McFarlane blame?
3. What conclusion does McFarlane announce to Lloyd in the final chapter of the book? Is this conclusion accurate.
4. Why does Glinn once again take command of the bridge in Chapter 57? What is the result?
5. What assumption does Vallenar make in Chapter 56 when he realizes the Rolvaag is leaving Isle Desolacion? What does he do?
6. In Chapter 65, what danger does Glinn identify for the Rolvaag? What action does he recommend taking against it?
7. What happens in Chapter 77 when the Almirante Ramirez comes around the corner of the ice island and faces the Rolvaag?
8. How many people got off the Rolvaag as revealed in Chapter 84? How many died?
9. What causes Glinn's death in Chapter 83? What fantasy does he have as he dies?
10. What nautical destination does Glinn assume will cause the Almirante Ramirez stop its pursuit of the Rolvaag? Why? Does it?
This section contains 1,111 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)