|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 80, what does Britton discover missing from the main deck?
(a) Most of the maindeck.
(b) All of the crew assigned to the area.
(c) Most of the containers and several davits.
(d) All the mining equipment.
2. In Chapter 77, what does Britton believe will happen once the Rolvaag stops moving forward?
(a) It will be able to successfully hide from the Almirante Ramirez.
(b) They will sink.
(c) They will be forced to surrender.
(d) It will be dead in the water.
3. In Chapter 59, why does Vallenar request a team of six go into the water to repair the propellers?
(a) It takes six to lift the heavy propellers.
(b) It takes six to bolt the propeller to the ship.
(c) At least one of them will live long enough to finish the job.
(d) At least that many are necessary to remove the old propellers.
4. In Chapter 60, who gets credit for keeping the cradle design simple in order to make the welding quick?
5. In Chapter 71, what item of jewelry does Amira ask to wear of McFarlane's in a moment of intimacy?
(a) His grandmother's brooch.
(b) His MIT ring.
(c) His mother's wedding ring.
(d) His high school class ring.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 57, what does Glinn want Puppup to do?
2. In Chapter 58, who does Lloyd give ultimate credit to for the success of the recovery of the meteorite?
3. In Chapter 57, why does Glinn feel the Rolvaag's actions against the Almirante Ramirez were justified?
4. In Chapter 51, Glinn reveals that EES controls what vital component of the Rolvaag?
5. In Chapter 80, where does Britton recall having seen a ship break its back?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Glinn's death in Chapter 83? What fantasy does he have as he dies?
2. In Chapter 65, what danger does Glinn identify for the Rolvaag? What action does he recommend taking against it?
3. What nautical destination does Glinn assume will cause the Almirante Ramirez stop its pursuit of the Rolvaag? Why? Does it?
4. In Chapter 66, one of Vallenar's men refuses to follow an order based on what information? What does Vallenar do about this insubordination?
5. When McFarlane is on the phone with Lloyd in Chapter 49 he explains when the meteorite will be moved and learns about an impending problem for the expedition. McFarlane also senses that Lloyd is planning something. How will the meteorite be moved, what impending problem is coming, and what is Lloyd up to?
6. Where does Glinn go in Chapter 48? What is he wearing that suggests he expects danger on this trip?
7. How many people got off the Rolvaag as revealed in Chapter 84? How many died?
8. In Chapter 69, what does McFarlane realized caused the electrical discharge from the meteorite in the cargo hold? What does he plan to do about it?
9. Where is the Rolvaag hit, as determined by Britton in Chapter 75? What does this damage suggest to Britton?
10. What does McFarlane hypothesize caused the massive electrical surge that knocked out the equipment on Isla Desolacion? What argument does Lloyd make against this theory?
This section contains 1,350 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)