|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 62, how many men did the Almirante Ramirez lose in the attempt to fix the propellers?
2. In Chapter 71, what item of jewelry does Amira ask to wear of McFarlane's in a moment of intimacy?
(a) His grandmother's brooch.
(b) His MIT ring.
(c) His high school class ring.
(d) His mother's wedding ring.
3. In Chapter 77, what does Britton believe will happen once the Rolvaag stops moving forward?
(a) It will be dead in the water.
(b) They will sink.
(c) They will be forced to surrender.
(d) It will be able to successfully hide from the Almirante Ramirez.
4. In Chapter 80, what does Britton discover missing from the main deck?
(a) All the mining equipment.
(b) Most of the maindeck.
(c) All of the crew assigned to the area.
(d) Most of the containers and several davits.
5. In Chapter 69, what does McFarlane hear in the cargo hold that helps him come to a conclusion as to what caused the meteorite to discharge electricity not only this one time, but every time?
(a) A hum from the meteorite itself.
(b) People's voices.
(c) Cracking of the cradle's welds.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 77, what does Glinn express a desire to learn from Britton?
2. In Chapter 59, why is the box holding spare ship parts marked 40mm ordnance?
3. In Chapter 57, what does Britton say she thinks of Glinn's mental state?
4. In Chapter 44, Glinn says that the meteorite has confounded all EES expectations. What does Glinn recommend they do now?
5. In Chapter 47, who does McFarlane point out is blocking the only exit out of the channel?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 66, one of Vallenar's men refuses to follow an order based on what information? What does Vallenar do about this insubordination?
2. What does McFarlane hypothesize caused the massive electrical surge that knocked out the equipment on Isla Desolacion? What argument does Lloyd make against this theory?
3. In Chapter 80 Britton suggests it is time to use the dead man switch. What has caused her to come to this conclusion? What is the reaction of those around her?
4. Why does Glinn once again take command of the bridge in Chapter 57? What is the result?
5. How does Glinn's team assertain that the dead body is not the guard they thought it was? Who does Glinn believe this man is? What complication does this pose?
6. Where does Glinn advise Britton to take the ship in Chapter 74? What argument does Britton make against this plan?
7. What happens in Chapter 77 when the Almirante Ramirez comes around the corner of the ice island and faces the Rolvaag?
8. What conclusion does McFarlane announce to Lloyd in the final chapter of the book? Is this conclusion accurate.
9. In Chapter 82 Lloyd and McFarlane change their position on the meteorite. Who refuses to listen? What happens next?
10. In Chapter 69, what does McFarlane realized caused the electrical discharge from the meteorite in the cargo hold? What does he plan to do about it?
This section contains 1,427 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)