|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 77, what does Glinn express a desire to learn from Britton?
(d) Piano playing.
2. In Chapter 78, what happens each time the Rolvaag rolls against the waves?
(a) The ship tips forward too far.
(b) The ship rolls over on its side.
(c) The ship vibrates in the center, threatening to rip in two.
(d) The ship sinks deeper into the ocean.
3. In Chapter 59, what orders does Vallenar believe his men are awaiting?
(a) To abandon ship.
(b) To order an SOS.
(c) To repair the ship.
(d) To report to battle stations.
4. In Chapter 74, what prevents the Rolvaag from hiding as it enters the Ice Limit?
(a) Bright light.
(b) The size of the Rolvaag.
(c) The Almirante Ramirez is too close.
(d) Lack of ice.
5. How long does it take to move the meteorite to the bluffs overlooking the Rolvaag?
(a) One day.
(b) Two days.
(c) One week.
(d) On month.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 72, why does Glinn instruct his men to turn off the radar jamming equipment and ask Britton to cut the engines?
2. In Chapter 60, who gets credit for keeping the cradle design simple in order to make the welding quick?
3. In Chapter 81, what reason does McFarlane believe it was a mistake to take the meteorite to sea?
4. In Chapter 57, whom does Glinn feel admires him for his actions?
5. In Chapter 50, Vallenar learns he has been issued a second order to do what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What conclusion does McFarlane announce to Lloyd in the final chapter of the book? Is this conclusion accurate.
2. What news does McFarlane bring the bridge in Chapter 72? What does Glinn do about it?
3. What difficulties is the Almirante Ramirez suffering in Chapter 70 that makes its pursuit of the Rolvaag more difficult?
4. Where does Glinn advise Britton to take the ship in Chapter 74? What argument does Britton make against this plan?
5. In Chapter 65, what danger does Glinn identify for the Rolvaag? What action does he recommend taking against it?
6. Palmer Lloyd was sent to his rooms like a bad boy and was filled with anger toward Glinn. What changes his mind in Chapter 58? What does Lloyd plan to do the next time he sees Glinn?
7. What does McFarlane hypothesize caused the massive electrical surge that knocked out the equipment on Isla Desolacion? What argument does Lloyd make against this theory?
8. When McFarlane is on the phone with Lloyd in Chapter 49 he explains when the meteorite will be moved and learns about an impending problem for the expedition. McFarlane also senses that Lloyd is planning something. How will the meteorite be moved, what impending problem is coming, and what is Lloyd up to?
9. What concerns does Glinn have about continuing the expedition in Chapter 46? What concerns does Britton express in the same chapter?
10. What happened in the cargo hold that caused the deaths of most of Garza's men? Who does Garza blame? Who does McFarlane blame?
This section contains 1,303 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)