|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does McFarlane tell Glinn in chapter 47 when he asks how safe the meteorite is?
(a) That it is inert except when touched by a human hand.
(b) That it is inert except when touched with salt.
(c) That it is dangerous and should be dropped into the sea at the first opportunity.
(d) That it is dangerous and never should be placed on the Rolvaag.
2. In Chapter 77, what does Britton see on the edge of the ice island above the Rolvaag?
(a) Falling ice.
(b) Military aircraft.
(c) Four of Glinn's men.
3. In Chapter 71, why does Amira confess to McFarlane that she wants to continue studying the meteorite even after they arrive back in the States?
(a) To write a paper that will make her reputation in the scientific community.
(b) To learn how old it really it.
(c) To find an internal power source.
(d) To prove it is interstellar.
4. In Chapter 72, why does Glinn instruct his men to turn off the radar jamming equipment and ask Britton to cut the engines?
(a) To make Vallenar come close enough to damage his ship on their wake.
(b) To attract the attention of a nearby naval base.
(c) To force Vallenar close enough for them to fire on his ship.
(d) To make Vallenar believe they are dead in the water.
5. In Chapter 53 Britton realizes Glinn is using what feature of the ship to help raise the ship to the level of the bluff in order to move the meteorite onto the tower built out of the cargo hold to safely lower the meteorite into the ship?
(a) The oil tanks in the center of the ship.
(b) The ballists.
(c) The air tanks on the outside of the ship.
(d) The lower levels of the ship.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 69, what does Amira suggest set off the electrical charge?
2. In Chapter 77, what does Glinn express a desire to learn from Britton?
3. In Chapter 78, how long can the Rolvaag expect to have auxiliary power?
4. In Chapter 84, what is happening to the life boats that causes concern to the survivors?
5. In Chapter 57, what weapons system does Glinn reveal he has placed on the Rolvaag?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Glinn go in Chapter 48? What is he wearing that suggests he expects danger on this trip?
2. Why does Britton suggest in Chapter 57 that they will all go to jail when they return to America? What is Glinn's response?
3. What is Garza and his team doing in the cargo hold in Chapter 60? What danger does this pose?
4. What does McFarlane hypothesize caused the massive electrical surge that knocked out the equipment on Isla Desolacion? What argument does Lloyd make against this theory?
5. What happens in Chapter 77 when the Almirante Ramirez comes around the corner of the ice island and faces the Rolvaag?
6. What concerns does Glinn have about continuing the expedition in Chapter 46? What concerns does Britton express in the same chapter?
7. What conclusion does McFarlane announce to Lloyd in the final chapter of the book? Is this conclusion accurate.
8. What causes Glinn's death in Chapter 83? What fantasy does he have as he dies?
9. Palmer Lloyd was sent to his rooms like a bad boy and was filled with anger toward Glinn. What changes his mind in Chapter 58? What does Lloyd plan to do the next time he sees Glinn?
10. Why does Glinn once again take command of the bridge in Chapter 57? What is the result?
This section contains 1,400 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)