|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the meteorite that caused the falling out between McFarlane and Masangkay?
(a) MasanFarlane Meteorite.
(b) Tornarssuk Meteorite.
(c) Chilean Meteorite.
(d) Monty's Meteorite.
2. In Chapter 42, what covers the sounds of Timmer's approach as he infiltrates the perimeter of the staging area?
(a) An impending storm.
(b) Music from the staging area.
(c) Voices in the staging area.
(d) Sand on the ground.
3. Where does Amira tell McFarlane that Glinn earned his military experience?
4. Who does Puppup believe is responsible for the deaths of Evans, Rochefort, and Masangkay?
5. What is the name of the channel where the Rolvaag lowers its anchor during the recovery of the meteorite?
(a) Lincoln Channel.
(b) Elizabeth Channel.
(c) Jefferson Channel.
(d) Franklin Channel.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a dead man switch?
2. In Chapter 17, why does Comandante Vallenar tell custom officials that the Americans are after gold on Isla Desolacion?
3. In Chapter 39, Vallenar reads a letter from what type of scientist?
4. In Chapter 39, what does the letter Vallenar reads tell him about the Rolvaag's mining expedition on Isla Desolacion?
5. What is the profession of the man Vallenar interviews in Chapter 28?
Short Essay Questions
1. What concerns does Glinn have about continuing the expedition in Chapter 46? What concerns does Britton express in the same chapter?
2. What nautical destination does Glinn assume will cause the Almirante Ramirez stop its pursuit of the Rolvaag? Why? Does it?
3. For what reason does Glinn want to add Puppup to their crew? Where does Glinn find Puppup in Chapter 18?
4. In Chapter 66, one of Vallenar's men refuses to follow an order based on what information? What does Vallenar do about this insubordination?
5. What causes Glinn's death in Chapter 83? What fantasy does he have as he dies?
6. Why does Glinn once again take command of the bridge in Chapter 57? What is the result?
7. Who are the people Sam McFarlane has hired to help him search for meteorites in the Kalahari Desert? How does he win their trust? How does he lose it?
8. What causes the computers on the island to fail? What is found in the tunnel with the meteorite?
9. What story of the Ice Limit does Britton tell the people at her table during the first dinner on board the Rolvaag? What famous writer wrote a story about this incident? How is this incident related to Captain Britton? What is important about this story?
10. Palmer Lloyd was sent to his rooms like a bad boy and was filled with anger toward Glinn. What changes his mind in Chapter 58? What does Lloyd plan to do the next time he sees Glinn?
This section contains 1,281 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)