|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 39, what does the letter Vallenar reads tell him about the Rolvaag's mining expedition on Isla Desolacion?
(a) They are searching for silver.
(b) They are not searching for gold.
(c) They are searching for oil.
(d) They are not mining for gas.
2. What state does the meteorite become when it reaches its melting point?
3. Who does Puppup believe is responsible for the deaths of Evans, Rochefort, and Masangkay?
4. Who, in Chapter 12, makes the loudest objection to the banned beverage?
5. Who does Glinn reveal has the only key to the dead man switch in Chapter 13?
(a) Glinn, Rochefort, and Garza.
(b) Glinn, McFarlane, and Amira.
(c) Glinn, Lloyd, and Britton.
(d) Glinn, McFarlane, and Howell.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the channel where the Rolvaag lowers its anchor during the recovery of the meteorite?
2. How big does Garza believe the meteorite is as discussed in Chapter 31?
3. What item of modern technology does Sam McFarlane attempt to get San Bushmen to use in order to help him search for meteorites?
4. What color is the meteorite when it is finally exposed in Chapter 24?
5. How much does Lloyd promise to pay McFarlane in the end of Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who arrives on the Rolvaag via helicopter in Chapter 20? What is the purpose of this visit?
2. What strikes McFarlane as luxurious when he boards the Rolvaag for the first time? What is Glinn's explanation for this unexpected luxury?
3. Why does McFarlane take the broken drill bit to the ship? What does he find on it? What does he decide to do next?
4. What crime does Puppup tell Glinn Vallenar once committed? What was calculated about this crime?
5. Why is a guard posted at the camp where the meteorite is sitting? What happens on the first night of guard duty?
6. Why does Glinn insist that McFarlane accompany him to the island where they will be interviewed by customs? Why does Glinn want himself and McFarlane to present fake passports when they arrive in Chile?
7. What does a native man find on Isla Desolacion when paddles there in Chapter 2? What does he do about it?
8. Where does Glinn find Captain Britton? How does this pertain to her decision to take the job he has offered her?
9. What is being auction at a Christie's auction house in Chapter 3? What is unusual about the buyer?
10. Why does Rochefort go into the tunnel with the jacked up meteorite in Chapter 34? What happens?
This section contains 1,145 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)