|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 28, how does Vallenar force the man he is interviewing to tell him the truth?
(a) He cuts off his fingernail.
(b) He promises a large payment.
(c) He beats him up.
(d) He threatens to have him arrested.
2. What is Brambell doing in Chapter 32 that he is forced to put aside to conduct the examination of Masangkay's remains?
(c) Watching television.
3. In Chapter 36, Glinn claims his great-great-great grandfather kidnapped what relative of Puppup's?
(a) His great-great-great aunt.
(b) His great-great-great grandmother.
(c) His great-great-great uncle.
(d) His great-great-great grandfather.
4. What is the name of the Thomas Cole painting Palmer Lloyd loves the most of all his rare and valuable belongings, as described in Chapter 5?
(a) Sunny Morning in Chile.
(b) Sunny Morning on the Hudson River.
(c) Sunny Morning on the Mississippi.
(d) Sunny Morning in Acapulco.
5. How big does Garza believe the meteorite is as discussed in Chapter 31?
(a) Ten feet in diameter.
(b) Four feet in diameter.
(c) Twenty feet in diameter.
(d) Forty-two feet in diameter.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Palmer Lloyd go to the Kalahari Desert to see Sam McFarlane in Chapter 4?
2. How much does Lloyd promise to pay McFarlane in the end of Chapter 4?
3. What does McFarlane want to call the meteorite?
4. What does Masangkay find using his electromagnetic tomographic sounder?
5. In Chapter 28, what item does Vallenar ask the man he is interviewing to give to him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Glinn and his team plan to move the meteorite from one side of the island to the other?
2. What does a native man find on Isla Desolacion when paddles there in Chapter 2? What does he do about it?
3. Why does Glinn gather his team and suggest they end the expedition in Chapter 35? Do they?
4. What does Lloyd do when he first sees the meteorite? Who warns against this action? Why?
5. Why is a guard posted at the camp where the meteorite is sitting? What happens on the first night of guard duty?
6. What crime does Puppup tell Glinn Vallenar once committed? What was calculated about this crime?
7. What unusual findings do McFarlane and Glinn make when they remove Masangkay's body for study on the ship in Chapter 27?
8. What does Dr. Brambell say caused Masangkay's death? How does this impact the expedition at this point?
9. Why does Rochefort go into the tunnel with the jacked up meteorite in Chapter 34? What happens?
10. What strikes McFarlane as luxurious when he boards the Rolvaag for the first time? What is Glinn's explanation for this unexpected luxury?
This section contains 1,154 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)