|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 41, what does Garza call the plan that they intend to use to move the meteorite from the staging site to the bluffs above the Rolvaag?
(a) Hide and dash.
(b) Cover and run.
(c) Run and hide.
(d) Cut and cover.
2. How does McFarlane believe the meteorite's arrival on the island impacted the topography of the island?
(a) It caused a volcanic eruption.
(b) It created the volcano.
(c) It landed during an eruption, causing its unique color.
(d) It destroyed the volcano.
3. What did the large bone found in a sandstone wall of a canyon turn out to be as described in Chapter 3?
(a) The site of an ancient cemetery.
(b) The intertwined skeletons of two dinosaurs.
(c) A large Triceratops.
(d) A large Tyrannosaurus.
4. In Chapter 31, McFarlane claims the meteorite is like what element?
(a) Noble gas.
(b) Transition elements.
(c) Alkali metals.
5. For what reason is it revealed in Chapter 9 Captain Britton went to rehab?
(a) Illegal drugs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What role is Amira supposed to play while on the expedition?
2. What is McFarlane's pet theory that is revealed in Chapter 25?
3. Who has Glinn hired to change the outward appearance of the ship purchased for the recovery of the meteorite?
4. What does McFarlane want to call the meteorite?
5. What is the name of the Thomas Cole painting Palmer Lloyd loves the most of all his rare and valuable belongings, as described in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Glinn's company, Effective Engineering Solutions, Inc., do? What is their success record? Why does Lloyd hire them?
2. What is being auction at a Christie's auction house in Chapter 3? What is unusual about the buyer?
3. What story of the Ice Limit does Britton tell the people at her table during the first dinner on board the Rolvaag? What famous writer wrote a story about this incident? How is this incident related to Captain Britton? What is important about this story?
4. What does McFarlane learn about Amira's relationship with Glinn in Chapter 38 that sheds light on Glinn's personality?
5. Why is a guard posted at the camp where the meteorite is sitting? What happens on the first night of guard duty?
6. What does Lloyd do when he first sees the meteorite? Who warns against this action? Why?
7. What does Masangkay anticipate will be the rewards for discovering a unique meteorite on the Isla Desolacion? Who does he wish to pay back?
8. Who are the people Sam McFarlane has hired to help him search for meteorites in the Kalahari Desert? How does he win their trust? How does he lose it?
9. What crime does Puppup tell Glinn Vallenar once committed? What was calculated about this crime?
10. How does Glinn and his team plan to move the meteorite from one side of the island to the other?
This section contains 1,179 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)