|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lloyd want to call the meteorite?
(a) Rolvaag meteorite.
(b) Chilean meteorite.
(c) Desolation meteorite.
(d) Lloyd meteorite.
2. Who is the author of the story mentioned in Chapter 12, 'Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket'?
(a) T.S. Eliot.
(b) Edgar Allen Poe.
(c) Stephen Crane.
(d) Stephen King.
3. What natural landmark marks the area where Masangkay made his camp?
(a) A small pine tree.
(b) A large boulder.
(c) A valley in the snowfield.
(d) A huge oak tree.
4. Why does Palmer Lloyd go to the Kalahari Desert to see Sam McFarlane in Chapter 4?
(a) To ask him to to ask Masangkay to sell Lloyd his latest discovery.
(b) To ask him to organize an expedition to recover a meteorite.
(c) To ask him to head his new science museum.
(d) To ask him to finish Masangkay's expedition.
5. What color is the meteorite when it is finally exposed in Chapter 24?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the weather like in Chapter 1 as Masangkay unearths part of his find?
2. In Chapter 39, who does Vallenar wish to interrogate about the actions of the Americans on the Rolvaag?
3. What does Amira suggest is off about the color of the meteorite, as she explains in Chapter 25?
4. In Chapter 38, Amira tells McFarlane that she collected what unusual arachnid?
5. What is an electromagnetic tomographic sounder?
Short Essay Questions
1. What proof in Chapter 30 do McFarlane and Amira get from Glinn that supports their theory that the meteorite is interstellar rather than having come from our solar system?
2. What story does Puppup tell the men as they make their way to the site of the meteorite in Chapter 22?
3. What does Dr. Brambell say caused Masangkay's death? How does this impact the expedition at this point?
4. For what reason does Glinn want to add Puppup to their crew? Where does Glinn find Puppup in Chapter 18?
5. What does McFarlane use to create a demonstration of what happens to the ground when a meteorite falls from the sky? Why does McFarlane put on this demonstration? What is the reaction of his audience?
6. How does Glinn and his team plan to move the meteorite from one side of the island to the other?
7. Why is a guard posted at the camp where the meteorite is sitting? What happens on the first night of guard duty?
8. Why does McFarlane take the broken drill bit to the ship? What does he find on it? What does he decide to do next?
9. Who are the people Sam McFarlane has hired to help him search for meteorites in the Kalahari Desert? How does he win their trust? How does he lose it?
10. Why does Glinn gather his team and suggest they end the expedition in Chapter 35? Do they?
This section contains 1,266 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)