|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Palmer Lloyd go to the Kalahari Desert to see Sam McFarlane in Chapter 4?
(a) To ask him to head his new science museum.
(b) To ask him to to ask Masangkay to sell Lloyd his latest discovery.
(c) To ask him to organize an expedition to recover a meteorite.
(d) To ask him to finish Masangkay's expedition.
2. What drink has been banned from the Rolvaag?
3. In Chapter 17, why does Comandante Vallenar tell custom officials that the Americans are after gold on Isla Desolacion?
(a) He has tried to mine gold there himself.
(b) He does not want them given the right to step on Chilean soil.
(c) He believes all foreigners are looking for gold.
(d) He does not believe there is iron ore on the island.
4. What happens in Chapter 33 when Glinn has the power to the hydraulic jacks brought up to seventy percent?
(a) The meteorite rises six centimeters.
(b) The meteorite moves too quickly.
(d) The meteorite tips over.
5. In Chapter 42, what damage to the cart beneath the meteorite makes McFarlane believe the disturbance was an electrical arc rather than a bomb?
(a) Damage to the bottom of the meteorite.
(b) Damage to the inside of the tunnel.
(c) Melted metal and burning tires.
(d) Melted rock and a burning corpse.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rochefort manually release on the jacks in Chapter 34?
2. What is the name of the meteorite that caused the falling out between McFarlane and Masangkay?
3. What does Amira suggest is off about the color of the meteorite, as she explains in Chapter 25?
4. What is McFarlane's pet theory that is revealed in Chapter 25?
5. Who has Glinn hired to change the outward appearance of the ship purchased for the recovery of the meteorite?
Short Essay Questions
1. For what reason does Glinn want to add Puppup to their crew? Where does Glinn find Puppup in Chapter 18?
2. How does Glinn and his team plan to move the meteorite from one side of the island to the other?
3. Why does McFarlane take the broken drill bit to the ship? What does he find on it? What does he decide to do next?
4. Why does Glinn's team make an effort to make the ship they are preparing for the expedition look older than it really is?
5. Why does Glinn gather his team and suggest they end the expedition in Chapter 35? Do they?
6. Who arrives on the Rolvaag via helicopter in Chapter 20? What is the purpose of this visit?
7. What causes the computers on the island to fail? What is found in the tunnel with the meteorite?
8. Why does Glinn insist that McFarlane accompany him to the island where they will be interviewed by customs? Why does Glinn want himself and McFarlane to present fake passports when they arrive in Chile?
9. What does McFarlane learn about Amira's relationship with Glinn in Chapter 38 that sheds light on Glinn's personality?
10. What report does McFarlane find in Amira's quarters in Chapter 37? What does this report say? How does McFarlane feel about this report?
This section contains 1,239 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)