|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of ship has Glinn purchased for the recovery of the meteorite?
(a) A cruise ship.
(b) An oil tanker.
(c) A aircraft carrier.
(d) A military destroyer.
2. What is a dead man switch?
(a) A switch to remove casualties of an accident quickly.
(b) A switch to sink the ship should their mission be discovered.
(c) A switch to cut power to the bridge in an emergency.
(d) A ejection switch to quickly remove the meteorite in an emergency.
3. In Chapter 39, who does Vallenar wish to interrogate about the actions of the Americans on the Rolvaag?
(b) The custom officials.
4. What does Glinn provide in Chapter 23 to help christen the meteorite?
(c) Carbonated apple juice.
5. What did Nestor Masangkay call Isla Desolacion?
(a) A true frozen wonderland.
(b) The edge of the universe.
(c) The edge of the world.
(d) A true place of desolation.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is McFarlane's pet theory that is revealed in Chapter 25?
2. What color is the meteorite when it is finally exposed in Chapter 24?
3. In Chapter 38, Amira tells McFarlane that she collected what unusual arachnid?
4. What does McFarlane want to call the meteorite?
5. What is the 'night lunch' mentioned in Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Glinn's team make an effort to make the ship they are preparing for the expedition look older than it really is?
2. What operation has Glinn had his men set up on the island to fool any Chilean officials who happen to be watching them? Is anyone watching them?
3. Why does Rochefort go into the tunnel with the jacked up meteorite in Chapter 34? What happens?
4. Who arrives on the Rolvaag via helicopter in Chapter 20? What is the purpose of this visit?
5. What strikes McFarlane as luxurious when he boards the Rolvaag for the first time? What is Glinn's explanation for this unexpected luxury?
6. What does Dr. Brambell say caused Masangkay's death? How does this impact the expedition at this point?
7. What story does Puppup tell the men as they make their way to the site of the meteorite in Chapter 22?
8. What does Glinn's company, Effective Engineering Solutions, Inc., do? What is their success record? Why does Lloyd hire them?
9. What story of the Ice Limit does Britton tell the people at her table during the first dinner on board the Rolvaag? What famous writer wrote a story about this incident? How is this incident related to Captain Britton? What is important about this story?
10. What unusual findings do McFarlane and Glinn make when they remove Masangkay's body for study on the ship in Chapter 27?
This section contains 1,154 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)