|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What unsettling thing does Vallenar do to the Rolvaag in Chapter 36?
(a) Boards them.
(b) Fires machine gun weapons at them.
(c) Locks weapons.
(d) Cruises toward them in a collision course.
2. In Chapter 39, Vallenar reads a letter from what type of scientist?
(a) A geologist.
(b) A meteorologist.
(c) A chemist.
(d) A medical researcher.
3. According to Amira in Chapter 41, what is the look?
(a) An expression as though mesmerized workers get when they see the meteorite.
(b) An expression of sickness when the Rolvaag is mentioned.
(c) An expression of excitment when the meteorite is mentioned.
(d) An expression of fear when the storm is mentioned.
4. What is an electromagnetic tomographic sounder?
(a) A machine used to dig in isolated areas.
(b) A machine used to see underneath the earth without digging.
(c) A machine used to find magnetic activity under the groun.
(d) A machine used to measure earthquakes.
5. In Chapter 42, what damage to the cart beneath the meteorite makes McFarlane believe the disturbance was an electrical arc rather than a bomb?
(a) Melted rock and a burning corpse.
(b) Damage to the inside of the tunnel.
(c) Damage to the bottom of the meteorite.
(d) Melted metal and burning tires.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 17, why does Comandante Vallenar tell custom officials that the Americans are after gold on Isla Desolacion?
2. In Chapter 35, Glinn tells the team that the mass of the meteorite has been updated after the jack failure. What is the new estimated mass?
3. What color is the meteorite when it is finally exposed in Chapter 24?
4. What is an island of stability?
5. In Chapter 39, what does the letter Vallenar reads tell him about the Rolvaag's mining expedition on Isla Desolacion?
Short Essay Questions
1. What proof in Chapter 30 do McFarlane and Amira get from Glinn that supports their theory that the meteorite is interstellar rather than having come from our solar system?
2. In Chapter 65, what danger does Glinn identify for the Rolvaag? What action does he recommend taking against it?
3. Who are the people Sam McFarlane has hired to help him search for meteorites in the Kalahari Desert? How does he win their trust? How does he lose it?
4. What is Garza and his team doing in the cargo hold in Chapter 60? What danger does this pose?
5. Why does Glinn gather his team and suggest they end the expedition in Chapter 35? Do they?
6. What concerns does Glinn have about continuing the expedition in Chapter 46? What concerns does Britton express in the same chapter?
7. For what reason does Glinn want to add Puppup to their crew? Where does Glinn find Puppup in Chapter 18?
8. What nautical destination does Glinn assume will cause the Almirante Ramirez stop its pursuit of the Rolvaag? Why? Does it?
9. What does Glinn's company, Effective Engineering Solutions, Inc., do? What is their success record? Why does Lloyd hire them?
10. Why does Glinn once again take command of the bridge in Chapter 57? What is the result?
This section contains 1,302 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)