|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Vallenar dislike disposable razors as discussed in Chapter 28?
(a) They do not shave closely enough.
(b) Two blades are not enough to give a good shave.
(c) Two blades are a waste when one is good enough. It is typical of American inventions.
(d) They are cheap.
2. In Chapter 38, McFarlane recognizes the twin fangs of Hanuxa as what geological formations?
(a) Volcanic plugs.
(b) Ancient man-made structures.
(c) Eroded boulders.
(d) Debris from platonic activity.
3. Who, in Chapter 12, makes the loudest objection to the banned beverage?
4. How much does Glinn say it will cost to determine if EES can recover the meteorite from Isla Desolacion in Chapter 7?
(a) One thousand dollars.
(b) One million dollars.
(c) One hundred dollars.
(d) One hundred thousand dollars.
5. What does panteonero mean?
(a) Death's breath.
(b) Cemetery wind.
(d) Graveyard breeze.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 30, McFarlane says tests on a sample of the meteorite will reveal what properties?
2. In Chapter 31, Rochefort tells McFarlane they have placed what percentage of extra jacks under the meteorite?
3. In Chapter 29, what does Amira say Glinn hates?
4. According to Amira in Chapter 41, what is the look?
5. What state does the meteorite become when it reaches its melting point?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who arrives on the Rolvaag via helicopter in Chapter 20? What is the purpose of this visit?
2. What crime does Puppup tell Glinn Vallenar once committed? What was calculated about this crime?
3. Why is a guard posted at the camp where the meteorite is sitting? What happens on the first night of guard duty?
4. Why does Glinn insist that McFarlane accompany him to the island where they will be interviewed by customs? Why does Glinn want himself and McFarlane to present fake passports when they arrive in Chile?
5. What story of the Ice Limit does Britton tell the people at her table during the first dinner on board the Rolvaag? What famous writer wrote a story about this incident? How is this incident related to Captain Britton? What is important about this story?
6. What strikes McFarlane as luxurious when he boards the Rolvaag for the first time? What is Glinn's explanation for this unexpected luxury?
7. For what reason does Glinn want to add Puppup to their crew? Where does Glinn find Puppup in Chapter 18?
8. Why does McFarlane take the broken drill bit to the ship? What does he find on it? What does he decide to do next?
9. What report does McFarlane find in Amira's quarters in Chapter 37? What does this report say? How does McFarlane feel about this report?
10. Why does Glinn gather his team and suggest they end the expedition in Chapter 35? Do they?
This section contains 1,160 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)