|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 13 Glinn claims they have legal right to take the meteorite despite their desire to keep the meteorite secret. How is this true?
(a) Meteorites belong to whoever recovers them first.
(b) Meteorites, no matter where they are located, are owned by the American government.
(c) Glinn and team have mining claims to the island.
(d) Chile does not own the island, the Yaghan Indians do.
2. In Chapter 30, McFarlane says tests on a sample of the meteorite will reveal what properties?
(a) Physical, chemical, and electron configuration.
(b) Electrical, chemical, and physical.
(c) Electrical and chemical only.
(d) Electron configuration, chemical, and atomic radius.
3. Where does Amira tell McFarlane that Glinn earned his military experience?
4. How has Glinn disguised the labs to be used in the recovery of the meteorite?
(a) To look like mining equipment.
(b) To look like a medical lab.
(c) To look like shipping containers.
(d) To look like oil excavating equipment.
5. What element of the San Bushman language does McFarlane have trouble reproducing in Chapter 4?
(a) The strange consonants.
(b) The guttural sounds of the language.
(c) The trill of the r's.
(d) The strange clicks of the language.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 31, Rochefort tells McFarlane they have placed what percentage of extra jacks under the meteorite?
2. What illness does Puppup claim killed his wife in Chapter 36?
3. In Chapter 36, Glinn claims his great-great-great grandfather kidnapped what relative of Puppup's?
4. In Chapter 42, how does Timmer find the door to the tunnel where the meteorite sits?
5. What happens in Chapter 33 when Glinn has the power to the hydraulic jacks brought up to seventy percent?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is a guard posted at the camp where the meteorite is sitting? What happens on the first night of guard duty?
2. What proof in Chapter 30 do McFarlane and Amira get from Glinn that supports their theory that the meteorite is interstellar rather than having come from our solar system?
3. Why does McFarlane tell Britton in chapter 14 that he decided to study meteorites? What question does Britton ask McFarlane about this expedition?
4. What does McFarlane use to create a demonstration of what happens to the ground when a meteorite falls from the sky? Why does McFarlane put on this demonstration? What is the reaction of his audience?
5. What does Glinn's company, Effective Engineering Solutions, Inc., do? What is their success record? Why does Lloyd hire them?
6. What story does Puppup tell the men as they make their way to the site of the meteorite in Chapter 22?
7. What unusual findings do McFarlane and Glinn make when they remove Masangkay's body for study on the ship in Chapter 27?
8. What does McFarlane learn about Amira's relationship with Glinn in Chapter 38 that sheds light on Glinn's personality?
9. What report does McFarlane find in Amira's quarters in Chapter 37? What does this report say? How does McFarlane feel about this report?
10. Who arrives on the Rolvaag via helicopter in Chapter 20? What is the purpose of this visit?
This section contains 1,226 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)