|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 17, why does Comandante Vallenar tell custom officials that the Americans are after gold on Isla Desolacion?
(a) He does not believe there is iron ore on the island.
(b) He believes all foreigners are looking for gold.
(c) He does not want them given the right to step on Chilean soil.
(d) He has tried to mine gold there himself.
2. What drink has been banned from the Rolvaag?
3. In Chapter 28, how does Vallenar force the man he is interviewing to tell him the truth?
(a) He beats him up.
(b) He threatens to have him arrested.
(c) He promises a large payment.
(d) He cuts off his fingernail.
4. Why does Glinn tell Britton in Chapter 18 that they should not worry about Vallenar?
(a) No one believed him.
(b) He is just a crazy old man.
(c) No one respects him enough to care about his opinion.
(d) He has no authority over them.
5. How much does Glinn tell Lloyd he will charge to complete the recovery of the meteorite from the Isla Desolacion in Chapter 8?
(a) Three hundred million dollars.
(b) One hundred fifty million dollars.
(c) Three hundred fifty million dollars.
(d) One hundred million dollars.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 28, what item does Vallenar ask the man he is interviewing to give to him?
2. What is the profession of the man Vallenar interviews in Chapter 28?
3. For what reason is it revealed in Chapter 9 Captain Britton went to rehab?
4. What did Nestor Masangkay call Isla Desolacion?
5. What is the melting point of the meteorite?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Masangkay anticipate will be the rewards for discovering a unique meteorite on the Isla Desolacion? Who does he wish to pay back?
2. Why does Glinn insist that McFarlane accompany him to the island where they will be interviewed by customs? Why does Glinn want himself and McFarlane to present fake passports when they arrive in Chile?
3. What does Dr. Brambell say caused Masangkay's death? How does this impact the expedition at this point?
4. Why does McFarlane take the broken drill bit to the ship? What does he find on it? What does he decide to do next?
5. How does Glinn and his team plan to move the meteorite from one side of the island to the other?
6. Why does McFarlane tell Britton in chapter 14 that he decided to study meteorites? What question does Britton ask McFarlane about this expedition?
7. Why is a guard posted at the camp where the meteorite is sitting? What happens on the first night of guard duty?
8. What causes a near collision in Chapter 18 with the Rolvaag? What does this suggest about the dangers of the expedition?
9. What causes the computers on the island to fail? What is found in the tunnel with the meteorite?
10. What unusual findings do McFarlane and Glinn make when they remove Masangkay's body for study on the ship in Chapter 27?
This section contains 1,216 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)