|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 31, Rochefort tells McFarlane they have placed what percentage of extra jacks under the meteorite?
(a) Forty percent.
(b) Fifty percent.
(c) Ten percent.
(d) Ninety percent.
2. What is an island of stability?
(a) A floating island that will not tip.
(b) A group of elements low on the periodic table that are stable.
(c) A ship that floats on the upper most layer of water.
(d) A hypothetical group of elements high on the periodic table that are stable.
3. What item of modern technology does Sam McFarlane attempt to get San Bushmen to use in order to help him search for meteorites?
(a) Large magnets.
(b) Cell phones.
(c) Seismograph machines.
(d) Metal detectors.
4. What state does the meteorite become when it reaches its melting point?
5. What does McFarlane want to call the meteorite?
(a) McFarlane meteorite.
(b) EES meteorite.
(c) MasanFarlane meteorite.
(d) Masangkay meteorite.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does McFarlane believe the meteorite's arrival on the island impacted the topography of the island?
2. Who is the author of the story mentioned in Chapter 12, 'Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket'?
3. Who does Puppup believe is responsible for the deaths of Evans, Rochefort, and Masangkay?
4. Where does Amira tell McFarlane that Glinn earned his military experience?
5. What type of bit do Amira and McFarlane attempt to drill the meteorite with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does McFarlane hypothesize caused the massive electrical surge that knocked out the equipment on Isla Desolacion? What argument does Lloyd make against this theory?
2. What unusual findings do McFarlane and Glinn make when they remove Masangkay's body for study on the ship in Chapter 27?
3. What happens in Chapter 77 when the Almirante Ramirez comes around the corner of the ice island and faces the Rolvaag?
4. What does McFarlane use to create a demonstration of what happens to the ground when a meteorite falls from the sky? Why does McFarlane put on this demonstration? What is the reaction of his audience?
5. How does Glinn and his team plan to move the meteorite from one side of the island to the other?
6. What strikes McFarlane as luxurious when he boards the Rolvaag for the first time? What is Glinn's explanation for this unexpected luxury?
7. In Chapter 80 Britton suggests it is time to use the dead man switch. What has caused her to come to this conclusion? What is the reaction of those around her?
8. Who are the people Sam McFarlane has hired to help him search for meteorites in the Kalahari Desert? How does he win their trust? How does he lose it?
9. When McFarlane is on the phone with Lloyd in Chapter 49 he explains when the meteorite will be moved and learns about an impending problem for the expedition. McFarlane also senses that Lloyd is planning something. How will the meteorite be moved, what impending problem is coming, and what is Lloyd up to?
10. What conclusion does McFarlane announce to Lloyd in the final chapter of the book? Is this conclusion accurate.
This section contains 1,386 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)