|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Wilson Atcitty find a large bone protruding from a sandstone wall as described in Chapter 3?
(a) In Alaska.
(b) On the Arizona-New Mexico border.
(c) In Chile.
(d) On the border of California and Mexico.
2. What impending situation is mentioned in both Chapters 39 and 40?
(a) A possible earthquake.
(b) An expected tsunami.
(c) A possible panteonero.
(d) A hurricane.
3. What does panteonero mean?
(b) Cemetery wind.
(c) Death's breath.
(d) Graveyard breeze.
4. In Chapter 28, how does Vallenar force the man he is interviewing to tell him the truth?
(a) He beats him up.
(b) He promises a large payment.
(c) He cuts off his fingernail.
(d) He threatens to have him arrested.
5. How does Glinn plan to keep the meteorite stable during travel?
(a) By wrapping it plastic.
(b) By tying it down with cargo straps.
(c) By placing it in a cradle.
(d) By placing it in a shipping container.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 29, what does Amira say Glinn hates?
2. How much does Garza believe the meteorite weighs as discussed in Chapter 31?
3. What item of modern technology does Sam McFarlane attempt to get San Bushmen to use in order to help him search for meteorites?
4. Why does Glinn tell Britton in Chapter 18 that they should not worry about Vallenar?
5. What is the profession of the man Vallenar interviews in Chapter 28?
Short Essay Questions
1. What crime does Puppup tell Glinn Vallenar once committed? What was calculated about this crime?
2. What does McFarlane use to create a demonstration of what happens to the ground when a meteorite falls from the sky? Why does McFarlane put on this demonstration? What is the reaction of his audience?
3. What operation has Glinn had his men set up on the island to fool any Chilean officials who happen to be watching them? Is anyone watching them?
4. What unusual findings do McFarlane and Glinn make when they remove Masangkay's body for study on the ship in Chapter 27?
5. Why does McFarlane take the broken drill bit to the ship? What does he find on it? What does he decide to do next?
6. Why does Rochefort go into the tunnel with the jacked up meteorite in Chapter 34? What happens?
7. Who arrives on the Rolvaag via helicopter in Chapter 20? What is the purpose of this visit?
8. What story of the Ice Limit does Britton tell the people at her table during the first dinner on board the Rolvaag? What famous writer wrote a story about this incident? How is this incident related to Captain Britton? What is important about this story?
9. What does Dr. Brambell say caused Masangkay's death? How does this impact the expedition at this point?
10. What causes the computers on the island to fail? What is found in the tunnel with the meteorite?
This section contains 1,218 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)