|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Nestor Masangkay looking for on Isla Desolacion?
(a) A meteorite.
2. In Chapter 32, what does Bramwell find unusual about Masangkay's bones?
(a) They are all broken.
(b) They are all burnt.
(c) They are all too small for a male.
(d) They are mixed with animal bones.
3. What is a dead man switch?
(a) A switch to sink the ship should their mission be discovered.
(b) A switch to remove casualties of an accident quickly.
(c) A switch to cut power to the bridge in an emergency.
(d) A ejection switch to quickly remove the meteorite in an emergency.
4. How much does Lloyd promise to pay McFarlane in the end of Chapter 4?
(a) Three quarters of a million dollars.
(b) One hundred thousand dollars.
(c) One million dollars.
(d) Half a million dollars.
5. In Chapter 39, Vallenar reads a letter from what type of scientist?
(a) A chemist.
(b) A medical researcher.
(c) A geologist.
(d) A meteorologist.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Puppup believe is responsible for the deaths of Evans, Rochefort, and Masangkay?
2. Why does Vallenar dislike disposable razors as discussed in Chapter 28?
3. What does panteonero mean?
4. What does the team initially use, as seen in Chapter 23, to remove the dirt over the top of the meteorite?
5. What does Lloyd want to call the meteorite?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does McFarlane tell Britton in chapter 14 that he decided to study meteorites? What question does Britton ask McFarlane about this expedition?
2. What strikes McFarlane as luxurious when he boards the Rolvaag for the first time? What is Glinn's explanation for this unexpected luxury?
3. What is being auction at a Christie's auction house in Chapter 3? What is unusual about the buyer?
4. Why does McFarlane take the broken drill bit to the ship? What does he find on it? What does he decide to do next?
5. Why is a guard posted at the camp where the meteorite is sitting? What happens on the first night of guard duty?
6. Where does Glinn find Captain Britton? How does this pertain to her decision to take the job he has offered her?
7. Who arrives on the Rolvaag via helicopter in Chapter 20? What is the purpose of this visit?
8. What story does Puppup tell the men as they make their way to the site of the meteorite in Chapter 22?
9. What does Dr. Brambell say caused Masangkay's death? How does this impact the expedition at this point?
10. What report does McFarlane find in Amira's quarters in Chapter 37? What does this report say? How does McFarlane feel about this report?
This section contains 1,131 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)