|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 64, Glinn repeatedly suggests Vallenar will do what?
(a) Call in reinforcements.
(b) Turn around.
(c) Attack them.
(d) Leave them alone.
2. In Chapter 83, what order does Britton give Garza that Glinn countermands?
(a) Trigger the dead man switch.
(b) Continue welding the cradle.
(c) Arrest Glinn.
(d) Abadon ship.
3. In Chapter 71, what item of jewelry does Amira ask to wear of McFarlane's in a moment of intimacy?
(a) His mother's wedding ring.
(b) His high school class ring.
(c) His grandmother's brooch.
(d) His MIT ring.
4. In Chapter 57, how does Glinn disable the Almirante Ramirez?
(a) By sending a man to commandeer the bridge.
(b) By forcing it into the rocks along the cliff side of the Isla Desolacion.
(c) By setting off explosive previously placed on the ship's screws.
(d) By firing a weapon from the deck of the Rolvaag.
5. In Chapter 69, what does Amira suggest set off the electrical charge?
(a) Nothing, it was random.
(b) Someone touched it.
(c) Someone hit it with the heat of a torch.
(d) Nothing, it did not happen.
6. In Chapter 59, why does Vallenar request a team of six go into the water to repair the propellers?
(a) It takes six to lift the heavy propellers.
(b) It takes six to bolt the propeller to the ship.
(c) At least that many are necessary to remove the old propellers.
(d) At least one of them will live long enough to finish the job.
7. What are Willey Peters?
(a) White phosphorus used to light up a dark sea.
(b) Yellow phosphorus used in chemical warfare.
8. In Chapter 61, who does Glinn send to take care of the apparent discharge from the meteorite?
(a) Lloyd and McFarlane.
(b) McFarlane and Garza.
(c) McFarlane and Amira.
(d) Lloyd and Amira.
9. What is the meaning of the term, dead in the water?
(a) A ship unable to control its movement in the water.
(b) A ship with no power.
(c) A ship that has lost the ability to turn.
(d) A ship that is not making headway.
10. In Chapter 46, what slows the progress of the meteorite as it is moved from its previous location to the bluffs above the Rolvaag?
(a) The snow field.
(b) A broken machine.
(c) Vallenar's men.
(d) Glinn's orders.
11. In Chapter 64, where does Britton plan to take the Rolvag out of Drake Passage?
(a) Toward South America to escape the gale.
(b) Toward a British Naval Base on Georgia Island.
(c) Toward the Ice Limit.
(d) Toward American waters.
12. In Chapter 53, how long does it take for the meteorite to become settled on the tower that will lower it into the cargo hold?
(a) Twenty minutes.
(b) Forty-five minutes.
(c) Twenty-four hours.
(d) Two hours.
13. In Chapter 60, what order is given to the work crew in regards to their interaction with the meteorite?
(a) Not to touch it.
(b) Not to damage it with the heat of the torches.
(c) Not to hit it with welding compound.
(d) Not to damage the cradle.
14. In Chapter 52, why does Glinn have Lloyd locked in his suite on the Rolvaag?
(a) He refuses to pay Glinn for his services.
(b) He attempts to interfere in Glinn's plan for the Almirante Ramirez.
(c) He attempts to call the Chilean government for help.
(d) He attempts to overrule Britton's control of the bridge.
15. In Chapter 44, Glinn says that the meteorite has confounded all EES expectations. What does Glinn recommend they do now?
(a) Ask for help from another meteorite expert.
(b) Abort the project.
(c) Call in reinforcements.
(d) Continue with caution.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 78, what happens each time the Rolvaag rolls against the waves?
2. In Chapter 84, what is happening to the life boats that causes concern to the survivors?
3. In Chapter 58, who does Lloyd give ultimate credit to for the success of the recovery of the meteorite?
4. In Chapter 83, what does Britton ask Glinn to do?
5. In Chapter 62, how many men did the Almirante Ramirez lose in the attempt to fix the propellers?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)