|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 77, what does Britton believe will happen once the Rolvaag stops moving forward?
(a) It will be able to successfully hide from the Almirante Ramirez.
(b) It will be dead in the water.
(c) They will sink.
(d) They will be forced to surrender.
2. In Chapter 57, what does Glinn want Puppup to do?
(a) Radio Chilean authorities to force Vallenar to back off of them.
(b) Direct the Rolvaag into an inner cove.
(c) Tell them where they can safely hide from the Almirante Ramirez.
(d) Direct the Rolvaag safely through the reefs.
3. In Chapter 82, what alternative does Lloyd offer to the use of the dead man switch?
(a) They could pay someone to come rescue them.
(b) They could simply ride out the storm.
(c) They could abandon ship and hope the Rolvaag survives with the meteorite on board.
(d) They could return to Isla Desolacion and return the meteorite.
4. In Chapter 70, what is Vallenar's greatest fear as the waves begin to take their toll on his ship?
(a) He will not be able to complete his mission.
(b) He will not see his son again.
(c) He will die.
(d) He will not be able to retrieve the meteorite for Chile.
5. In Chapter 55, what part of the ship does Britton report has hit the edge of the bluff?
(a) The tower holding the meteorite.
(b) The hull.
(c) The crane on deck.
(d) The aft shipping containers.
6. In Chapter 71, why can McFarlane not use his hand held radio to contact the bridge?
(a) It could disrupt the computer systems on the bridge.
(b) Radio transmission disruption from the meteorite.
(c) The thickness of the ship's hull.
(d) The interference from salt water.
7. In Chapter 61, what item does Glinn reveal he brought an entire case of on board the Rolvaag?
(a) Red Wine.
(c) White Wine.
8. In Chapter 62, how many men did the Almirante Ramirez lose in the attempt to fix the propellers?
9. In Chapter 58, who does Lloyd give ultimate credit to for the success of the recovery of the meteorite?
10. In Chapter 73, what failure does Garza report will cause the meteorite to eventually break free of its cradle?
(a) Failure of mulitple welds at once.
(b) Failure of critical point welds.
(c) Failure of the tarps enclosing the meteorite.
(d) Failure of the hull along the sides of the cargo hold.
11. In Chapter 47, what reason does Glinn give McFarlane for keeping in communications with Lloyd?
(a) To keep him up to date on progress.
(b) To keep him from worrying about the Almirante Ramirez.
(c) To keep him happy.
(d) To keep him from coming to the Rolvaag.
12. In Chapter 80, what does Britton discover missing from the main deck?
(a) Most of the containers and several davits.
(b) All of the crew assigned to the area.
(c) All the mining equipment.
(d) Most of the maindeck.
13. In Chapter 59, what orders does Vallenar believe his men are awaiting?
(a) To order an SOS.
(b) To abandon ship.
(c) To repair the ship.
(d) To report to battle stations.
14. In Chapter 84, what is happening to the life boats that causes concern to the survivors?
(a) They begin to move back toward the Ice Limit.
(b) They begin taking on water.
(c) They become exposed to the cold.
(d) They begin to deflat.
15. In Chapter 61, what happens to the bridge's computers as they watch the movement on radar of the ship in pursuit of the Rolvaag?
(a) They begin giving false readings.
(b) They burn out and go dark.
(c) They momentarily shut down or lose some power.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 60, how long does it take the crew to make most of the welds?
2. In Chapter 60, what happens in the seconds before the meteorite sets off yet another electrical surge?
3. In Chapter 72, what does Britton believe finally proved Glinn human?
4. In Chapter 78, who does Britton inform her officers to call for help?
5. In Chapter 57, what does Britton say she thinks of Glinn's mental state?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)