|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 80, why does Glinn refuse to entertain the idea that the meteorite's cradle could fail?
(a) It is made of steel.
(b) He cannot fail.
(c) It is made of diamonds, the hardest substance on earth.
(d) Double overage.
2. In Chapter 64, where does Britton plan to take the Rolvag out of Drake Passage?
(a) Toward the Ice Limit.
(b) Toward South America to escape the gale.
(c) Toward American waters.
(d) Toward a British Naval Base on Georgia Island.
3. In Chapter 47, who does McFarlane point out is blocking the only exit out of the channel?
4. In Chapter 78, who does Britton inform her officers to call for help?
(a) The American Coast Guard.
(b) The British Naval base on Georgia Island.
(c) The Peru government.
(d) The Chilean military.
5. In Chapter 60, who gets credit for keeping the cradle design simple in order to make the welding quick?
6. In Chapter 71, what item of jewelry does Amira ask to wear of McFarlane's in a moment of intimacy?
(a) His high school class ring.
(b) His mother's wedding ring.
(c) His grandmother's brooch.
(d) His MIT ring.
7. In Chapter 65, what does Glinn realize the Almirante Ramirez has really done?
(a) Trapped them against a reef.
(b) Forced them to drop the meteorite.
(c) Blocked off all means of escape.
(d) Forced them to surrender.
8. In Chapter 80, where does Britton recall having seen a ship break its back?
(a) The Atlantic.
(b) The Ice Limit.
(c) Off the coast of Washington State.
(d) The Grand Banks.
9. In Chapter 50, Vallenar learns he has been issued a second order to do what?
(a) Arrest Lloyd.
(b) Arrest Glinn.
(c) Continue on his previous assignment.
(d) Return to base.
10. In Chapter 45, Glinn makes a comment about the mysterious dead man in Spanish. What does this statement suggest to both McFarlane and the reader?
(a) Glinn is having a nervous breakdown.
(b) Glinn speaks in Spanish when he does not want anyone to know what he is saying.
(c) Glinn has no clue who the man was or who sent him.
(d) Glinn thinks the man was sent by Vallenar.
11. In Chapter 61, what type of job does Lloyd decide he will offer Puppup at the Lloyd Museum?
(a) Security or janitorial.
(b) Transportation or maintenance.
(c) Security or maintenance.
(d) Administration or transportation.
12. In Chapter 51, what does the Almirante Ramirez do that causes tension on the Rolvaag's bridge?
(a) Fires a missle.
(b) Locks on weapons.
(c) Moves to block the only exit to the channel.
(d) Fires with a machine gun.
13. In Chapter 84, where do the survivors take refuge from the sea?
(a) An abandoned island.
(b) The top of an ice island.
(c) Along the side of the Rolvaag.
(d) Inside the abandoned Almirante Ramirez.
14. In Chapter 60, how long does it take the crew to make most of the welds?
(a) Twelve minutes.
(b) Twenty minutes.
(c) Thirty-two minutes.
(d) Twenty-two minutes.
15. In Chapter 59, what orders does Vallenar believe his men are awaiting?
(a) To repair the ship.
(b) To order an SOS.
(c) To report to battle stations.
(d) To abandon ship.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 46, Britton expresses concern about having the meteorite on her ship. How does Glinn convince her to go forward with it?
2. In Chapter 57, whom does Glinn feel admires him for his actions?
3. In Chapter 52, why does Glinn have Lloyd locked in his suite on the Rolvaag?
4. What is the cradle where the meteorite is to sit in the ship designed for?
5. In Chapter 81, who does Lloyd threaten to kill with his bares hands should this person use the dead man switch?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)