|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 72, what does Britton believe finally proved Glinn human?
(a) Admitting to his affection for her.
(b) Knowing more than everyone else.
(c) Bleeding in an accident.
(d) Being wrong.
2. In Chapter 61, what happens to the bridge's computers as they watch the movement on radar of the ship in pursuit of the Rolvaag?
(a) They burn out and go dark.
(b) They momentarily shut down or lose some power.
(c) They begin giving false readings.
3. In Chapter 45, Glinn makes a comment about the mysterious dead man in Spanish. What does this statement suggest to both McFarlane and the reader?
(a) Glinn thinks the man was sent by Vallenar.
(b) Glinn has no clue who the man was or who sent him.
(c) Glinn is having a nervous breakdown.
(d) Glinn speaks in Spanish when he does not want anyone to know what he is saying.
4. In Chapter 64, Glinn repeatedly suggests Vallenar will do what?
(a) Leave them alone.
(b) Call in reinforcements.
(c) Turn around.
(d) Attack them.
5. In Chapter 61, what is Britton counting down?
(a) Minutes until they reach American waters.
(b) Minutes until the Almirante Ramirez will surely be sunk.
(c) Minutes until they return to the Chilean coast.
(d) Minutes until they cross into international waters.
6. What is the cradle where the meteorite is to sit in the ship designed for?
(a) To keep the meteorite from crushing someone.
(b) To keep the meteorite from releasing a jolt of electricity.
(c) To keep the meteorite from being damaged.
(d) To keep the meteorite from shifting.
7. What is the meaning of the term, dead in the water?
(a) A ship that is not making headway.
(b) A ship with no power.
(c) A ship unable to control its movement in the water.
(d) A ship that has lost the ability to turn.
8. In Chapter 71, why does Amira confess to McFarlane that she wants to continue studying the meteorite even after they arrive back in the States?
(a) To write a paper that will make her reputation in the scientific community.
(b) To learn how old it really it.
(c) To find an internal power source.
(d) To prove it is interstellar.
9. In Chapter 55, what part of the ship does Britton report has hit the edge of the bluff?
(a) The tower holding the meteorite.
(b) The hull.
(c) The crane on deck.
(d) The aft shipping containers.
10. In Chapter 57, why does Glinn feel the Rolvaag's actions against the Almirante Ramirez were justified?
(a) The Almirante Ramirez's captain is acting outside his authority.
(b) The panteonero will sink the Almirante Ramirez, not their actions.
(c) The Almirante Ramirez fired first.
(d) The Almirante Ramirez was not supposed to be in that channel anyway.
11. In Chapter 46, Britton expresses concern about having the meteorite on her ship. How does Glinn convince her to go forward with it?
(a) He ignores her concerns.
(b) He threatens to give a bad report to the child custody judge.
(c) He promises to pay her extra.
(d) He asks her to trust him.
12. In Chapter 57, what does Glinn want Puppup to do?
(a) Tell them where they can safely hide from the Almirante Ramirez.
(b) Direct the Rolvaag safely through the reefs.
(c) Direct the Rolvaag into an inner cove.
(d) Radio Chilean authorities to force Vallenar to back off of them.
13. In Chapter 81, who does Lloyd threaten to kill with his bares hands should this person use the dead man switch?
14. In Chapter 59, how long does Vallenar believe he has before his ship is forced into the reefs beyond Isla Deceit?
(a) Two hours.
(b) Ten minutes.
(c) Half an hour.
(d) One hour.
15. In Chapter 51, what does the Almirante Ramirez do that causes tension on the Rolvaag's bridge?
(a) Moves to block the only exit to the channel.
(b) Fires with a machine gun.
(c) Locks on weapons.
(d) Fires a missle.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 44, what does Glinn instruct his men to ask Britton to send to the staging area?
2. In Chapter 59, why is the box holding spare ship parts marked 40mm ordnance?
3. In Chapter 60, how long does it take the crew to make most of the welds?
4. In Chapter 56, why does Vallenar think the Rolvaag is still moored to the cliffs despite the incoming storm?
5. In Chapter 82, what one word does Britton utter each time the ship struggles against a new wave?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)