|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 55, what part of the ship does Britton report has hit the edge of the bluff?
(a) The hull.
(b) The crane on deck.
(c) The aft shipping containers.
(d) The tower holding the meteorite.
2. In Chapter 80, where does Britton recall having seen a ship break its back?
(a) Off the coast of Washington State.
(b) The Atlantic.
(c) The Ice Limit.
(d) The Grand Banks.
3. In Chapter 57, what does Glinn want Puppup to do?
(a) Direct the Rolvaag safely through the reefs.
(b) Direct the Rolvaag into an inner cove.
(c) Tell them where they can safely hide from the Almirante Ramirez.
(d) Radio Chilean authorities to force Vallenar to back off of them.
4. In Chapter 77, what does Britton believe will happen once the Rolvaag stops moving forward?
(a) It will be able to successfully hide from the Almirante Ramirez.
(b) They will be forced to surrender.
(c) It will be dead in the water.
(d) They will sink.
5. In Chapter 44, what does Glinn instruct his men to ask Britton to send to the staging area?
(a) A radio.
(c) Medical supplies.
(d) A generator.
6. In Chapter 46, Britton expresses concern about having the meteorite on her ship. How does Glinn convince her to go forward with it?
(a) He asks her to trust him.
(b) He promises to pay her extra.
(c) He ignores her concerns.
(d) He threatens to give a bad report to the child custody judge.
7. In Chapter 59, how long does Vallenar believe he has before his ship is forced into the reefs beyond Isla Deceit?
(a) Two hours.
(b) One hour.
(c) Ten minutes.
(d) Half an hour.
8. In Chapter 46, what slows the progress of the meteorite as it is moved from its previous location to the bluffs above the Rolvaag?
(a) Vallenar's men.
(b) The snow field.
(c) A broken machine.
(d) Glinn's orders.
9. In Chapter 60, what order is given to the work crew in regards to their interaction with the meteorite?
(a) Not to hit it with welding compound.
(b) Not to touch it.
(c) Not to damage the cradle.
(d) Not to damage it with the heat of the torches.
10. In Chapter 83, who accompanies Glinn to the abandoned cargo hold?
11. In Chapter 60, who gets credit for keeping the cradle design simple in order to make the welding quick?
12. In Chapter 78, how long can the Rolvaag expect to have auxiliary power?
(a) Twenty hours.
(b) Fifteen hours.
(c) Three hours.
(d) Twenty-five hours.
13. In Chapter 57, what does Britton say she thinks of Glinn's mental state?
(a) That he is highly intelligent.
(b) That he is the sanest man she knows.
(c) That he is insane.
(d) That he is manic depressive.
14. In Chapter 80, why does Glinn refuse to entertain the idea that the meteorite's cradle could fail?
(a) Double overage.
(b) It is made of diamonds, the hardest substance on earth.
(c) It is made of steel.
(d) He cannot fail.
15. In Chapter 75, what does Britton notice is different about the Rolvaag?
(a) The sound of the engines.
(b) The sound of the computers.
(c) The shape of the deck.
(d) The shape of the bridge.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 60, what happens in the seconds before the meteorite sets off yet another electrical surge?
2. In Chapter 59, why is the box holding spare ship parts marked 40mm ordnance?
3. In Chapter 65, what does Glinn realize the Almirante Ramirez has really done?
4. In Chapter 61, what happens to the bridge's computers as they watch the movement on radar of the ship in pursuit of the Rolvaag?
5. In Chapter 47, who does McFarlane point out is blocking the only exit out of the channel?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)