|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 44, Glinn says that the meteorite has confounded all EES expectations. What does Glinn recommend they do now?
(a) Ask for help from another meteorite expert.
(b) Call in reinforcements.
(c) Abort the project.
(d) Continue with caution.
2. In Chapter 82, what one word does Britton utter each time the ship struggles against a new wave?
3. In Chapter 62, how many men did the Almirante Ramirez lose in the attempt to fix the propellers?
4. In Chapter 70, what is Vallenar's greatest fear as the waves begin to take their toll on his ship?
(a) He will die.
(b) He will not be able to retrieve the meteorite for Chile.
(c) He will not see his son again.
(d) He will not be able to complete his mission.
5. In Chapter 79, why does help refuse to come for the Rolvaag?
(a) There are no ships in the area.
(b) There are no helicopters that can fly that far.
(c) There are no ships willing to sail into the Ice Limit.
(d) The storm is too strong.
6. In Chapter 60, what happens in the seconds before the meteorite sets off yet another electrical surge?
(a) Someone touches the meteorite.
(b) The cradle fails.
(c) The hull breaks.
(d) The ship rolls.
7. In Chapter 72, what does Britton believe finally proved Glinn human?
(a) Admitting to his affection for her.
(b) Being wrong.
(c) Bleeding in an accident.
(d) Knowing more than everyone else.
8. In Chapter 69, what are investigators looking at in an attempt to find out what happened to cause the meteorite to discharge electricity in the cargo hold?
(a) Damage from the discharge.
(b) Security footage.
(c) The meteorite itself.
(d) Security logs.
9. In Chapter 55, what part of the ship does Britton report has hit the edge of the bluff?
(a) The hull.
(b) The crane on deck.
(c) The aft shipping containers.
(d) The tower holding the meteorite.
10. In Chapter 84, who took command of the Rolvaag's crew after Britton left the bridge?
11. In Chapter 50, Vallenar learns he has been issued a second order to do what?
(a) Return to base.
(b) Continue on his previous assignment.
(c) Arrest Glinn.
(d) Arrest Lloyd.
12. In Chapter 53 Britton realizes Glinn is using what feature of the ship to help raise the ship to the level of the bluff in order to move the meteorite onto the tower built out of the cargo hold to safely lower the meteorite into the ship?
(a) The ballists.
(b) The air tanks on the outside of the ship.
(c) The oil tanks in the center of the ship.
(d) The lower levels of the ship.
13. In Chapter 77, what does Glinn express a desire to learn from Britton?
(c) Piano playing.
14. In Chapter 81, who does Lloyd threaten to kill with his bares hands should this person use the dead man switch?
15. In Chapter 63, who is the first person interviewed in the investigation into the discharge of the meteorite?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 47, what reason does Glinn give McFarlane for keeping in communications with Lloyd?
2. In Chapter 51, what does Britton say she will not allow on board her vessel?
3. In Chapter 64, Glinn repeatedly suggests Vallenar will do what?
4. In Chapter 81, what reason does McFarlane believe it was a mistake to take the meteorite to sea?
5. In Chapter 45, Glinn makes a comment about the mysterious dead man in Spanish. What does this statement suggest to both McFarlane and the reader?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)