|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 56, why does Vallenar think the Rolvaag is still moored to the cliffs despite the incoming storm?
(a) A helicopter crashed and took out the helm controls.
(b) Timmer has commandeered the ship.
(c) Chilean rebells landed ont he ship and took it over.
(d) Glinn has gone insane.
2. In Chapter 72, what does Britton believe finally proved Glinn human?
(a) Admitting to his affection for her.
(b) Bleeding in an accident.
(c) Knowing more than everyone else.
(d) Being wrong.
3. In Chapter 57, why does Glinn feel the Rolvaag's actions against the Almirante Ramirez were justified?
(a) The Almirante Ramirez fired first.
(b) The Almirante Ramirez was not supposed to be in that channel anyway.
(c) The panteonero will sink the Almirante Ramirez, not their actions.
(d) The Almirante Ramirez's captain is acting outside his authority.
4. In Chapter 60, who is in charge of the team sent to finish the welds on the meteorite's cradle?
5. In Chapter 44, Glinn calls what person to inform them on the current situation?
(a) Chilean officials.
(d) Lloyd's secretary.
6. In Chapter 79, why does help refuse to come for the Rolvaag?
(a) There are no helicopters that can fly that far.
(b) There are no ships in the area.
(c) The storm is too strong.
(d) There are no ships willing to sail into the Ice Limit.
7. In Chapter 69, what do Amira and McFarlane use to protect the ship from the meteorite's power?
(a) Plastic tarps.
(b) Cotton balls.
8. In Chapter 46, Britton expresses concern about having the meteorite on her ship. How does Glinn convince her to go forward with it?
(a) He promises to pay her extra.
(b) He asks her to trust him.
(c) He threatens to give a bad report to the child custody judge.
(d) He ignores her concerns.
9. In Chapter 48, what threat does Vallenar make when Glinn refuses to return Timmer to him?
(a) He will arrest Glinn.
(b) He will arrest Lloyd.
(c) He will call in reinforcements.
(d) He will blow the Rolvaag out of the water.
10. In the final chapter of the novel, where do the survivors find themselves three days after rescue?
(a) A Chilean hospital.
(b) A Peruvian hospital.
(c) A New York City hotel.
(d) A British scientific station.
11. In Chapter 82, what one word does Britton utter each time the ship struggles against a new wave?
12. In Chapter 78, who does Britton inform her officers to call for help?
(a) The Chilean military.
(b) The American Coast Guard.
(c) The Peru government.
(d) The British Naval base on Georgia Island.
13. In Chapter 66, why does a man on the Almirante Ramirez refuses a direct order?
(a) He believes Vallenar is working outside his authorization.
(b) He believes they should be sailing faster.
(c) He believes Vallenar killed several crewmembers without good cause.
(d) He does not like Vallenar.
14. In Chapter 61, what type of ship does Lloyd hope is following them into international waters?
(a) A merchant ship.
(b) An American tanker.
(c) A Chilean military vessel.
(d) An American military vessel.
15. What does McFarlane tell Glinn in chapter 47 when he asks how safe the meteorite is?
(a) That it is dangerous and should be dropped into the sea at the first opportunity.
(b) That it is inert except when touched by a human hand.
(c) That it is dangerous and never should be placed on the Rolvaag.
(d) That it is inert except when touched with salt.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 60, what order is given to the work crew in regards to their interaction with the meteorite?
2. In Chapter 84, what is happening to the life boats that causes concern to the survivors?
3. In Chapter 50, Vallenar learns he has been issued a second order to do what?
4. How long does it take to move the meteorite to the bluffs overlooking the Rolvaag?
5. In Chapter 71, what item of jewelry does Amira ask to wear of McFarlane's in a moment of intimacy?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)