|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 82, what alternative does Lloyd offer to the use of the dead man switch?
(a) They could return to Isla Desolacion and return the meteorite.
(b) They could simply ride out the storm.
(c) They could abandon ship and hope the Rolvaag survives with the meteorite on board.
(d) They could pay someone to come rescue them.
2. In Chapter 57, how does Glinn disable the Almirante Ramirez?
(a) By setting off explosive previously placed on the ship's screws.
(b) By sending a man to commandeer the bridge.
(c) By forcing it into the rocks along the cliff side of the Isla Desolacion.
(d) By firing a weapon from the deck of the Rolvaag.
3. In Chapter 66, why does a man on the Almirante Ramirez refuses a direct order?
(a) He believes Vallenar is working outside his authorization.
(b) He believes they should be sailing faster.
(c) He believes Vallenar killed several crewmembers without good cause.
(d) He does not like Vallenar.
4. In Chapter 79, why does help refuse to come for the Rolvaag?
(a) There are no ships willing to sail into the Ice Limit.
(b) There are no ships in the area.
(c) The storm is too strong.
(d) There are no helicopters that can fly that far.
5. In Chapter 51, what does Britton say she will not allow on board her vessel?
(a) Glinn's thugs.
(c) The meteorite.
6. In Chapter 72, why does Glinn instruct his men to turn off the radar jamming equipment and ask Britton to cut the engines?
(a) To attract the attention of a nearby naval base.
(b) To make Vallenar come close enough to damage his ship on their wake.
(c) To make Vallenar believe they are dead in the water.
(d) To force Vallenar close enough for them to fire on his ship.
7. In Chapter 82, what one word does Britton utter each time the ship struggles against a new wave?
8. What does McFarlane tell Glinn in chapter 47 when he asks how safe the meteorite is?
(a) That it is inert except when touched by a human hand.
(b) That it is inert except when touched with salt.
(c) That it is dangerous and should be dropped into the sea at the first opportunity.
(d) That it is dangerous and never should be placed on the Rolvaag.
9. In Chapter 45, Glinn makes a comment about the mysterious dead man in Spanish. What does this statement suggest to both McFarlane and the reader?
(a) Glinn has no clue who the man was or who sent him.
(b) Glinn thinks the man was sent by Vallenar.
(c) Glinn speaks in Spanish when he does not want anyone to know what he is saying.
(d) Glinn is having a nervous breakdown.
10. In Chapter 57, what weapons system does Glinn reveal he has placed on the Rolvaag?
(a) An Exocet missle launcher.
(b) A McDonnell-Douglas Blackout Series Wide Band ECM.
(c) A 9mm Deck Mounted Machine Gun.
(d) An McDonnell-Douglas Automatic Chaff Deploy System.
11. In Chapter 75, what does Britton notice is different about the Rolvaag?
(a) The shape of the bridge.
(b) The sound of the engines.
(c) The shape of the deck.
(d) The sound of the computers.
12. In Chapter 62, how many men did the Almirante Ramirez lose in the attempt to fix the propellers?
13. In Chapter 72, what does Britton believe finally proved Glinn human?
(a) Admitting to his affection for her.
(b) Knowing more than everyone else.
(c) Being wrong.
(d) Bleeding in an accident.
14. In Chapter 61, what happens to the bridge's computers as they watch the movement on radar of the ship in pursuit of the Rolvaag?
(a) They burn out and go dark.
(c) They momentarily shut down or lose some power.
(d) They begin giving false readings.
15. In Chapter 51, what does the Almirante Ramirez do that causes tension on the Rolvaag's bridge?
(a) Fires with a machine gun.
(b) Locks on weapons.
(c) Moves to block the only exit to the channel.
(d) Fires a missle.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 65, what does Glinn realize the Almirante Ramirez has really done?
2. In Chapter 84, what is happening to the life boats that causes concern to the survivors?
3. In Chapter 84, who took command of the Rolvaag's crew after Britton left the bridge?
4. In the final chapter of the novel, where do the survivors find themselves three days after rescue?
5. In Chapter 69, what are investigators looking at in an attempt to find out what happened to cause the meteorite to discharge electricity in the cargo hold?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)