|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 84, who took command of the Rolvaag's crew after Britton left the bridge?
2. In Chapter 69, what does Amira suggest set off the electrical charge?
(a) Someone hit it with the heat of a torch.
(b) Nothing, it was random.
(c) Nothing, it did not happen.
(d) Someone touched it.
3. In Chapter 59, what orders does Vallenar believe his men are awaiting?
(a) To abandon ship.
(b) To report to battle stations.
(c) To repair the ship.
(d) To order an SOS.
4. In Chapter 55, what part of the ship does Britton report has hit the edge of the bluff?
(a) The hull.
(b) The tower holding the meteorite.
(c) The crane on deck.
(d) The aft shipping containers.
5. In Chapter 44, Glinn calls what person to inform them on the current situation?
(a) Chilean officials.
(b) Lloyd's secretary.
6. In Chapter 83, who accompanies Glinn to the abandoned cargo hold?
7. In Chapter 61, what happens to the bridge's computers as they watch the movement on radar of the ship in pursuit of the Rolvaag?
(a) They momentarily shut down or lose some power.
(c) They burn out and go dark.
(d) They begin giving false readings.
8. In Chapter 47, who does McFarlane point out is blocking the only exit out of the channel?
9. In Chapter 81, what reason does McFarlane believe it was a mistake to take the meteorite to sea?
(a) It is dangerous to the ship and crew.
(b) It has caused the Rolvaag's current situation.
(c) It is a danger to the eco system of the earth.
(d) If it leaves the ship it will never be recoverable again.
10. In Chapter 75, what does Britton notice is different about the Rolvaag?
(a) The sound of the engines.
(b) The shape of the deck.
(c) The sound of the computers.
(d) The shape of the bridge.
11. In Chapter 66, why does a man on the Almirante Ramirez refuses a direct order?
(a) He believes they should be sailing faster.
(b) He does not like Vallenar.
(c) He believes Vallenar is working outside his authorization.
(d) He believes Vallenar killed several crewmembers without good cause.
12. In Chapter 74, what prevents the Rolvaag from hiding as it enters the Ice Limit?
(a) Lack of ice.
(b) The size of the Rolvaag.
(c) The Almirante Ramirez is too close.
(d) Bright light.
13. In Chapter 84, what is happening to the life boats that causes concern to the survivors?
(a) They begin taking on water.
(b) They begin to move back toward the Ice Limit.
(c) They become exposed to the cold.
(d) They begin to deflat.
14. In Chapter 46, what slows the progress of the meteorite as it is moved from its previous location to the bluffs above the Rolvaag?
(a) A broken machine.
(b) Glinn's orders.
(c) Vallenar's men.
(d) The snow field.
15. What is the meaning of the term, dead in the water?
(a) A ship unable to control its movement in the water.
(b) A ship with no power.
(c) A ship that has lost the ability to turn.
(d) A ship that is not making headway.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 61, what type of ship does Lloyd hope is following them into international waters?
2. In Chapter 69, what are investigators looking at in an attempt to find out what happened to cause the meteorite to discharge electricity in the cargo hold?
3. What does McFarlane tell Glinn in chapter 47 when he asks how safe the meteorite is?
4. In Chapter 61, what type of job does Lloyd decide he will offer Puppup at the Lloyd Museum?
5. In Chapter 82, what one word does Britton utter each time the ship struggles against a new wave?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)