|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 53 Britton realizes Glinn is using what feature of the ship to help raise the ship to the level of the bluff in order to move the meteorite onto the tower built out of the cargo hold to safely lower the meteorite into the ship?
(a) The oil tanks in the center of the ship.
(b) The ballists.
(c) The air tanks on the outside of the ship.
(d) The lower levels of the ship.
2. In Chapter 73, what failure does Garza report will cause the meteorite to eventually break free of its cradle?
(a) Failure of the hull along the sides of the cargo hold.
(b) Failure of critical point welds.
(c) Failure of the tarps enclosing the meteorite.
(d) Failure of mulitple welds at once.
3. In Chapter 55, what part of the ship does Britton report has hit the edge of the bluff?
(a) The tower holding the meteorite.
(b) The hull.
(c) The crane on deck.
(d) The aft shipping containers.
4. In Chapter 48, why does Glinn visit the Almirante Ramirez?
(a) To distract him from the Rolvaag's attempted escape from the channel.
(b) To distract him from the removal of gold mined from the island.
(c) To distract Vallenar from the dropping of the meteorite into the Rolvaag's hold.
(d) To distract him from the removal of Timmer's body from the island.
5. In Chapter 50, Vallenar learns he has been issued a second order to do what?
(a) Arrest Lloyd.
(b) Arrest Glinn.
(c) Continue on his previous assignment.
(d) Return to base.
6. In Chapter 83, who accompanies Glinn to the abandoned cargo hold?
7. In Chapter 58, what did Lloyd do throughout the fight with the Almirante Ramirez?
(a) Paced restlessly.
(c) Called the Chilean government.
(d) Banged on the door, issuing orders.
8. In Chapter 57, what weapons system does Glinn reveal he has placed on the Rolvaag?
(a) A 9mm Deck Mounted Machine Gun.
(b) An Exocet missle launcher.
(c) A McDonnell-Douglas Blackout Series Wide Band ECM.
(d) An McDonnell-Douglas Automatic Chaff Deploy System.
9. In Chapter 57, why does Glinn feel the Rolvaag's actions against the Almirante Ramirez were justified?
(a) The Almirante Ramirez's captain is acting outside his authority.
(b) The Almirante Ramirez was not supposed to be in that channel anyway.
(c) The Almirante Ramirez fired first.
(d) The panteonero will sink the Almirante Ramirez, not their actions.
10. In Chapter 46, what slows the progress of the meteorite as it is moved from its previous location to the bluffs above the Rolvaag?
(a) Vallenar's men.
(b) The snow field.
(c) A broken machine.
(d) Glinn's orders.
11. In Chapter 54, who does Lloyd think is the only person who can get the meteorite out of Chile?
12. In Chapter 76, what does Vallenar believe Captain Britton is attempting to do in the Ice Limit?
(a) Wait for reinforcements.
(c) Dump the meteorite.
(d) Set him up for disaster.
13. In Chapter 70, what is Vallenar's greatest fear as the waves begin to take their toll on his ship?
(a) He will not be able to retrieve the meteorite for Chile.
(b) He will not see his son again.
(c) He will die.
(d) He will not be able to complete his mission.
14. In Chapter 61, what type of ship does Lloyd hope is following them into international waters?
(a) An American tanker.
(b) An American military vessel.
(c) A Chilean military vessel.
(d) A merchant ship.
15. In Chapter 45, Glinn makes a comment about the mysterious dead man in Spanish. What does this statement suggest to both McFarlane and the reader?
(a) Glinn has no clue who the man was or who sent him.
(b) Glinn speaks in Spanish when he does not want anyone to know what he is saying.
(c) Glinn thinks the man was sent by Vallenar.
(d) Glinn is having a nervous breakdown.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the final chapter of the novel, where do the survivors find themselves three days after rescue?
2. In Chapter 57, what does Glinn want Puppup to do?
3. In Chapter 53, how long does it take for the meteorite to become settled on the tower that will lower it into the cargo hold?
4. In Chapter 78, what happens each time the Rolvaag rolls against the waves?
5. In Chapter 61, what is Britton counting down?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)