|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 45, Glinn makes a comment about the mysterious dead man in Spanish. What does this statement suggest to both McFarlane and the reader?
(a) Glinn has no clue who the man was or who sent him.
(b) Glinn thinks the man was sent by Vallenar.
(c) Glinn is having a nervous breakdown.
(d) Glinn speaks in Spanish when he does not want anyone to know what he is saying.
2. In Chapter 44, what does Glinn instruct his men to ask Britton to send to the staging area?
(a) A generator.
(b) Medical supplies.
(d) A radio.
3. In Chapter 81, who does Lloyd threaten to kill with his bares hands should this person use the dead man switch?
4. In Chapter 83, what does Britton ask Glinn to do?
(a) Leave on a lifeboat with her.
(b) Release the tarp on the meteorite.
(c) Marry her.
(d) Trigger the dead man switch.
5. In Chapter 57, how does Glinn disable the Almirante Ramirez?
(a) By sending a man to commandeer the bridge.
(b) By forcing it into the rocks along the cliff side of the Isla Desolacion.
(c) By firing a weapon from the deck of the Rolvaag.
(d) By setting off explosive previously placed on the ship's screws.
6. In Chapter 57, what does Glinn want Puppup to do?
(a) Direct the Rolvaag into an inner cove.
(b) Radio Chilean authorities to force Vallenar to back off of them.
(c) Direct the Rolvaag safely through the reefs.
(d) Tell them where they can safely hide from the Almirante Ramirez.
7. In Chapter 82, what alternative does Lloyd offer to the use of the dead man switch?
(a) They could pay someone to come rescue them.
(b) They could simply ride out the storm.
(c) They could return to Isla Desolacion and return the meteorite.
(d) They could abandon ship and hope the Rolvaag survives with the meteorite on board.
8. In Chapter 55, what part of the ship does Britton report has hit the edge of the bluff?
(a) The crane on deck.
(b) The tower holding the meteorite.
(c) The hull.
(d) The aft shipping containers.
9. In Chapter 53 Britton realizes Glinn is using what feature of the ship to help raise the ship to the level of the bluff in order to move the meteorite onto the tower built out of the cargo hold to safely lower the meteorite into the ship?
(a) The oil tanks in the center of the ship.
(b) The ballists.
(c) The lower levels of the ship.
(d) The air tanks on the outside of the ship.
10. In Chapter 64, Glinn repeatedly suggests Vallenar will do what?
(a) Attack them.
(b) Turn around.
(c) Leave them alone.
(d) Call in reinforcements.
11. What is the meaning of the term, dead in the water?
(a) A ship with no power.
(b) A ship that has lost the ability to turn.
(c) A ship that is not making headway.
(d) A ship unable to control its movement in the water.
12. In Chapter 74, what prevents the Rolvaag from hiding as it enters the Ice Limit?
(a) Bright light.
(b) Lack of ice.
(c) The Almirante Ramirez is too close.
(d) The size of the Rolvaag.
13. What does McFarlane tell Glinn in chapter 47 when he asks how safe the meteorite is?
(a) That it is dangerous and should be dropped into the sea at the first opportunity.
(b) That it is dangerous and never should be placed on the Rolvaag.
(c) That it is inert except when touched with salt.
(d) That it is inert except when touched by a human hand.
14. In Chapter 46, what event keeps Glinn and his scientists from understanding why the meteorite appears to kill when touched?
(a) The bomb that must have killed Vallenar's man.
(b) McFarlane's touch of the meteorite the day it was first uncovered.
(c) Lloyd's touch of the meteorite when it was first uncovered.
(d) The lightening that clearly killed Masangkay.
15. In Chapter 50, Vallenar learns he has been issued a second order to do what?
(a) Continue on his previous assignment.
(b) Return to base.
(c) Arrest Glinn.
(d) Arrest Lloyd.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 59, how long does Vallenar believe he has before his ship is forced into the reefs beyond Isla Deceit?
2. In Chapter 44, Glinn calls what person to inform them on the current situation?
3. In Chapter 77, what does Britton see on the edge of the ice island above the Rolvaag?
4. In Chapter 78, how long can the Rolvaag expect to have auxiliary power?
5. In Chapter 72, why does Glinn instruct his men to turn off the radar jamming equipment and ask Britton to cut the engines?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)