|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 83, what does Britton ask Glinn to do?
(a) Leave on a lifeboat with her.
(b) Release the tarp on the meteorite.
(c) Marry her.
(d) Trigger the dead man switch.
2. In Chapter 51, Glinn reveals that EES controls what vital component of the Rolvaag?
(a) The engine room.
(b) The radar system.
(c) The computer system.
(d) The propellers.
3. In Chapter 58, what did Lloyd do throughout the fight with the Almirante Ramirez?
(a) Called the Chilean government.
(b) Paced restlessly.
(c) Banged on the door, issuing orders.
4. In Chapter 80, what does Britton discover missing from the main deck?
(a) All the mining equipment.
(b) All of the crew assigned to the area.
(c) Most of the containers and several davits.
(d) Most of the maindeck.
5. In Chapter 62, how many men did the Almirante Ramirez lose in the attempt to fix the propellers?
6. In Chapter 70, what is Vallenar's greatest fear as the waves begin to take their toll on his ship?
(a) He will not be able to complete his mission.
(b) He will not see his son again.
(c) He will not be able to retrieve the meteorite for Chile.
(d) He will die.
7. What does McFarlane tell Glinn in chapter 47 when he asks how safe the meteorite is?
(a) That it is inert except when touched by a human hand.
(b) That it is dangerous and never should be placed on the Rolvaag.
(c) That it is inert except when touched with salt.
(d) That it is dangerous and should be dropped into the sea at the first opportunity.
8. In Chapter 64, Glinn repeatedly suggests Vallenar will do what?
(a) Turn around.
(b) Call in reinforcements.
(c) Attack them.
(d) Leave them alone.
9. In Chapter 83, who accompanies Glinn to the abandoned cargo hold?
10. In Chapter 58, who does Lloyd give ultimate credit to for the success of the recovery of the meteorite?
11. In Chapter 72, why does Glinn instruct his men to turn off the radar jamming equipment and ask Britton to cut the engines?
(a) To attract the attention of a nearby naval base.
(b) To make Vallenar believe they are dead in the water.
(c) To make Vallenar come close enough to damage his ship on their wake.
(d) To force Vallenar close enough for them to fire on his ship.
12. In Chapter 57, why does Glinn feel the Rolvaag's actions against the Almirante Ramirez were justified?
(a) The panteonero will sink the Almirante Ramirez, not their actions.
(b) The Almirante Ramirez's captain is acting outside his authority.
(c) The Almirante Ramirez was not supposed to be in that channel anyway.
(d) The Almirante Ramirez fired first.
13. In Chapter 69, what does Amira suggest set off the electrical charge?
(a) Nothing, it was random.
(b) Nothing, it did not happen.
(c) Someone touched it.
(d) Someone hit it with the heat of a torch.
14. In Chapter 57, what does Glinn want Puppup to do?
(a) Direct the Rolvaag into an inner cove.
(b) Direct the Rolvaag safely through the reefs.
(c) Tell them where they can safely hide from the Almirante Ramirez.
(d) Radio Chilean authorities to force Vallenar to back off of them.
15. In Chapter 47, what reason does Glinn give McFarlane for keeping in communications with Lloyd?
(a) To keep him up to date on progress.
(b) To keep him from coming to the Rolvaag.
(c) To keep him happy.
(d) To keep him from worrying about the Almirante Ramirez.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 69, what do Amira and McFarlane use to protect the ship from the meteorite's power?
2. In Chapter 66, why does a man on the Almirante Ramirez refuses a direct order?
3. In Chapter 73, what failure does Garza report will cause the meteorite to eventually break free of its cradle?
4. In Chapter 69, what are investigators looking at in an attempt to find out what happened to cause the meteorite to discharge electricity in the cargo hold?
5. In Chapter 76, what does Vallenar believe Captain Britton is attempting to do in the Ice Limit?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)