|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 59, why is the box holding spare ship parts marked 40mm ordnance?
(a) To hide it from thieves.
(b) To hide it from hijackers.
(c) To hide it from the crew.
(d) To hide it from corrupt officials in the Navy Yard.
2. In Chapter 76, what does Vallenar believe Captain Britton is attempting to do in the Ice Limit?
(b) Wait for reinforcements.
(c) Dump the meteorite.
(d) Set him up for disaster.
3. In Chapter 81, who does Lloyd threaten to kill with his bares hands should this person use the dead man switch?
4. In Chapter 84, where do the survivors take refuge from the sea?
(a) The top of an ice island.
(b) Along the side of the Rolvaag.
(c) Inside the abandoned Almirante Ramirez.
(d) An abandoned island.
5. In Chapter 72, why does Glinn instruct his men to turn off the radar jamming equipment and ask Britton to cut the engines?
(a) To attract the attention of a nearby naval base.
(b) To make Vallenar come close enough to damage his ship on their wake.
(c) To make Vallenar believe they are dead in the water.
(d) To force Vallenar close enough for them to fire on his ship.
6. In Chapter 61, what is Britton counting down?
(a) Minutes until they reach American waters.
(b) Minutes until they return to the Chilean coast.
(c) Minutes until the Almirante Ramirez will surely be sunk.
(d) Minutes until they cross into international waters.
7. In Chapter 71, why does Amira confess to McFarlane that she wants to continue studying the meteorite even after they arrive back in the States?
(a) To prove it is interstellar.
(b) To learn how old it really it.
(c) To find an internal power source.
(d) To write a paper that will make her reputation in the scientific community.
8. In Chapter 81, what reason does McFarlane believe it was a mistake to take the meteorite to sea?
(a) It is a danger to the eco system of the earth.
(b) It has caused the Rolvaag's current situation.
(c) It is dangerous to the ship and crew.
(d) If it leaves the ship it will never be recoverable again.
9. In Chapter 78, what happens each time the Rolvaag rolls against the waves?
(a) The ship rolls over on its side.
(b) The ship tips forward too far.
(c) The ship sinks deeper into the ocean.
(d) The ship vibrates in the center, threatening to rip in two.
10. In Chapter 66, why does a man on the Almirante Ramirez refuses a direct order?
(a) He believes Vallenar is working outside his authorization.
(b) He believes they should be sailing faster.
(c) He believes Vallenar killed several crewmembers without good cause.
(d) He does not like Vallenar.
11. In Chapter 57, whom does Glinn feel admires him for his actions?
12. In Chapter 57, what does Glinn want Puppup to do?
(a) Direct the Rolvaag into an inner cove.
(b) Radio Chilean authorities to force Vallenar to back off of them.
(c) Direct the Rolvaag safely through the reefs.
(d) Tell them where they can safely hide from the Almirante Ramirez.
13. In Chapter 69, what are investigators looking at in an attempt to find out what happened to cause the meteorite to discharge electricity in the cargo hold?
(a) Security footage.
(b) Damage from the discharge.
(c) Security logs.
(d) The meteorite itself.
14. What does McFarlane tell Glinn in chapter 47 when he asks how safe the meteorite is?
(a) That it is inert except when touched by a human hand.
(b) That it is inert except when touched with salt.
(c) That it is dangerous and never should be placed on the Rolvaag.
(d) That it is dangerous and should be dropped into the sea at the first opportunity.
15. In Chapter 59, what orders does Vallenar believe his men are awaiting?
(a) To order an SOS.
(b) To abandon ship.
(c) To repair the ship.
(d) To report to battle stations.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 77, what does Britton believe will happen once the Rolvaag stops moving forward?
2. In Chapter 61, who does Glinn send to take care of the apparent discharge from the meteorite?
3. In Chapter 47, what reason does Glinn give McFarlane for keeping in communications with Lloyd?
4. In Chapter 51, what does Britton say she will not allow on board her vessel?
5. In Chapter 64, Glinn repeatedly suggests Vallenar will do what?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)