|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 71, why can McFarlane not use his hand held radio to contact the bridge?
(a) Radio transmission disruption from the meteorite.
(b) The thickness of the ship's hull.
(c) It could disrupt the computer systems on the bridge.
(d) The interference from salt water.
2. In Chapter 44, Glinn calls what person to inform them on the current situation?
(a) Lloyd's secretary.
(b) Chilean officials.
3. What are Willey Peters?
(b) Yellow phosphorus used in chemical warfare.
(d) White phosphorus used to light up a dark sea.
4. In Chapter 80, why does Glinn refuse to entertain the idea that the meteorite's cradle could fail?
(a) He cannot fail.
(b) Double overage.
(c) It is made of diamonds, the hardest substance on earth.
(d) It is made of steel.
5. In Chapter 69, what do Amira and McFarlane use to protect the ship from the meteorite's power?
(a) Plastic tarps.
(b) Cotton balls.
6. In Chapter 51, what does the Almirante Ramirez do that causes tension on the Rolvaag's bridge?
(a) Moves to block the only exit to the channel.
(b) Fires a missle.
(c) Fires with a machine gun.
(d) Locks on weapons.
7. In Chapter 61, who does Glinn send to take care of the apparent discharge from the meteorite?
(a) McFarlane and Amira.
(b) Lloyd and McFarlane.
(c) Lloyd and Amira.
(d) McFarlane and Garza.
8. In Chapter 78, who does Britton inform her officers to call for help?
(a) The American Coast Guard.
(b) The British Naval base on Georgia Island.
(c) The Peru government.
(d) The Chilean military.
9. In Chapter 47, who does McFarlane point out is blocking the only exit out of the channel?
10. In Chapter 69, what does Amira suggest set off the electrical charge?
(a) Someone touched it.
(b) Nothing, it did not happen.
(c) Someone hit it with the heat of a torch.
(d) Nothing, it was random.
11. In Chapter 57, what does Britton say she thinks of Glinn's mental state?
(a) That he is highly intelligent.
(b) That he is insane.
(c) That he is the sanest man she knows.
(d) That he is manic depressive.
12. In Chapter 59, what orders does Vallenar believe his men are awaiting?
(a) To report to battle stations.
(b) To abandon ship.
(c) To repair the ship.
(d) To order an SOS.
13. In Chapter 46, Britton expresses concern about having the meteorite on her ship. How does Glinn convince her to go forward with it?
(a) He asks her to trust him.
(b) He promises to pay her extra.
(c) He threatens to give a bad report to the child custody judge.
(d) He ignores her concerns.
14. In Chapter 74, what prevents the Rolvaag from hiding as it enters the Ice Limit?
(a) The Almirante Ramirez is too close.
(b) The size of the Rolvaag.
(c) Bright light.
(d) Lack of ice.
15. How long does it take to move the meteorite to the bluffs overlooking the Rolvaag?
(a) Two days.
(b) On month.
(c) One day.
(d) One week.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 81, who does Lloyd threaten to kill with his bares hands should this person use the dead man switch?
2. What is the meaning of the term, dead in the water?
3. In Chapter 61, what type of ship does Lloyd hope is following them into international waters?
4. In Chapter 61, what happens to the bridge's computers as they watch the movement on radar of the ship in pursuit of the Rolvaag?
5. In Chapter 66, why does a man on the Almirante Ramirez refuses a direct order?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)