|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 83, who accompanies Glinn to the abandoned cargo hold?
2. In Chapter 81, what reason does McFarlane believe it was a mistake to take the meteorite to sea?
(a) It has caused the Rolvaag's current situation.
(b) It is a danger to the eco system of the earth.
(c) It is dangerous to the ship and crew.
(d) If it leaves the ship it will never be recoverable again.
3. In Chapter 81, who does Lloyd threaten to kill with his bares hands should this person use the dead man switch?
4. In Chapter 57, how does Glinn disable the Almirante Ramirez?
(a) By forcing it into the rocks along the cliff side of the Isla Desolacion.
(b) By setting off explosive previously placed on the ship's screws.
(c) By firing a weapon from the deck of the Rolvaag.
(d) By sending a man to commandeer the bridge.
5. In Chapter 82, what alternative does Lloyd offer to the use of the dead man switch?
(a) They could pay someone to come rescue them.
(b) They could return to Isla Desolacion and return the meteorite.
(c) They could abandon ship and hope the Rolvaag survives with the meteorite on board.
(d) They could simply ride out the storm.
6. In Chapter 60, who gets credit for keeping the cradle design simple in order to make the welding quick?
7. In Chapter 46, what event keeps Glinn and his scientists from understanding why the meteorite appears to kill when touched?
(a) The bomb that must have killed Vallenar's man.
(b) The lightening that clearly killed Masangkay.
(c) McFarlane's touch of the meteorite the day it was first uncovered.
(d) Lloyd's touch of the meteorite when it was first uncovered.
8. In Chapter 58, what did Lloyd do throughout the fight with the Almirante Ramirez?
(a) Banged on the door, issuing orders.
(c) Called the Chilean government.
(d) Paced restlessly.
9. What are Willey Peters?
(c) Yellow phosphorus used in chemical warfare.
(d) White phosphorus used to light up a dark sea.
10. In Chapter 47, who does McFarlane point out is blocking the only exit out of the channel?
11. In Chapter 78, how long can the Rolvaag expect to have auxiliary power?
(a) Twenty-five hours.
(b) Twenty hours.
(c) Fifteen hours.
(d) Three hours.
12. In Chapter 51, what does the Almirante Ramirez do that causes tension on the Rolvaag's bridge?
(a) Fires with a machine gun.
(b) Fires a missle.
(c) Moves to block the only exit to the channel.
(d) Locks on weapons.
13. In Chapter 48, what threat does Vallenar make when Glinn refuses to return Timmer to him?
(a) He will arrest Lloyd.
(b) He will arrest Glinn.
(c) He will call in reinforcements.
(d) He will blow the Rolvaag out of the water.
14. In Chapter 57, whom does Glinn feel admires him for his actions?
15. In Chapter 80, where does Britton recall having seen a ship break its back?
(a) Off the coast of Washington State.
(b) The Ice Limit.
(c) The Grand Banks.
(d) The Atlantic.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 57, what does Britton say she thinks of Glinn's mental state?
2. In Chapter 61, what happens to the bridge's computers as they watch the movement on radar of the ship in pursuit of the Rolvaag?
3. In Chapter 61, what is Britton counting down?
4. In Chapter 71, why does Amira confess to McFarlane that she wants to continue studying the meteorite even after they arrive back in the States?
5. In Chapter 44, Glinn says that the meteorite has confounded all EES expectations. What does Glinn recommend they do now?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)