|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the cradle where the meteorite is to sit in the ship designed for?
(a) To keep the meteorite from crushing someone.
(b) To keep the meteorite from being damaged.
(c) To keep the meteorite from releasing a jolt of electricity.
(d) To keep the meteorite from shifting.
2. What does McFarlane tell Glinn in chapter 47 when he asks how safe the meteorite is?
(a) That it is dangerous and should be dropped into the sea at the first opportunity.
(b) That it is dangerous and never should be placed on the Rolvaag.
(c) That it is inert except when touched with salt.
(d) That it is inert except when touched by a human hand.
3. In Chapter 62, how many men did the Almirante Ramirez lose in the attempt to fix the propellers?
4. In the final chapter of the novel, where do the survivors find themselves three days after rescue?
(a) A New York City hotel.
(b) A Peruvian hospital.
(c) A British scientific station.
(d) A Chilean hospital.
5. In Chapter 51, what does Britton say she will not allow on board her vessel?
(a) The meteorite.
(b) Glinn's thugs.
6. In Chapter 84, where do the survivors take refuge from the sea?
(a) The top of an ice island.
(b) An abandoned island.
(c) Along the side of the Rolvaag.
(d) Inside the abandoned Almirante Ramirez.
7. In Chapter 47, what reason does Glinn give McFarlane for keeping in communications with Lloyd?
(a) To keep him up to date on progress.
(b) To keep him from worrying about the Almirante Ramirez.
(c) To keep him from coming to the Rolvaag.
(d) To keep him happy.
8. In Chapter 77, what does Glinn express a desire to learn from Britton?
(c) Piano playing.
9. In Chapter 57, what does Britton say she thinks of Glinn's mental state?
(a) That he is highly intelligent.
(b) That he is the sanest man she knows.
(c) That he is manic depressive.
(d) That he is insane.
10. In Chapter 82, what alternative does Lloyd offer to the use of the dead man switch?
(a) They could return to Isla Desolacion and return the meteorite.
(b) They could simply ride out the storm.
(c) They could pay someone to come rescue them.
(d) They could abandon ship and hope the Rolvaag survives with the meteorite on board.
11. In Chapter 84, who took command of the Rolvaag's crew after Britton left the bridge?
12. In Chapter 59, why does Vallenar request a team of six go into the water to repair the propellers?
(a) It takes six to bolt the propeller to the ship.
(b) It takes six to lift the heavy propellers.
(c) At least one of them will live long enough to finish the job.
(d) At least that many are necessary to remove the old propellers.
13. In Chapter 51, what does the Almirante Ramirez do that causes tension on the Rolvaag's bridge?
(a) Fires a missle.
(b) Locks on weapons.
(c) Moves to block the only exit to the channel.
(d) Fires with a machine gun.
14. In Chapter 69, what does Amira suggest set off the electrical charge?
(a) Someone touched it.
(b) Someone hit it with the heat of a torch.
(c) Nothing, it was random.
(d) Nothing, it did not happen.
15. In Chapter 78, what happens each time the Rolvaag rolls against the waves?
(a) The ship tips forward too far.
(b) The ship sinks deeper into the ocean.
(c) The ship rolls over on its side.
(d) The ship vibrates in the center, threatening to rip in two.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 78, how long can the Rolvaag expect to have auxiliary power?
2. In Chapter 57, why does Glinn feel the Rolvaag's actions against the Almirante Ramirez were justified?
3. In Chapter 69, what does McFarlane hear in the cargo hold that helps him come to a conclusion as to what caused the meteorite to discharge electricity not only this one time, but every time?
4. In Chapter 60, what happens in the seconds before the meteorite sets off yet another electrical surge?
5. In Chapter 83, who accompanies Glinn to the abandoned cargo hold?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)