|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 64, Glinn repeatedly suggests Vallenar will do what?
(a) Call in reinforcements.
(b) Leave them alone.
(c) Turn around.
(d) Attack them.
2. In Chapter 78, how long can the Rolvaag expect to have auxiliary power?
(a) Three hours.
(b) Twenty-five hours.
(c) Fifteen hours.
(d) Twenty hours.
3. In Chapter 80, where does Britton recall having seen a ship break its back?
(a) The Grand Banks.
(b) Off the coast of Washington State.
(c) The Atlantic.
(d) The Ice Limit.
4. In Chapter 59, what orders does Vallenar believe his men are awaiting?
(a) To order an SOS.
(b) To report to battle stations.
(c) To abandon ship.
(d) To repair the ship.
5. In Chapter 66, why does a man on the Almirante Ramirez refuses a direct order?
(a) He believes Vallenar killed several crewmembers without good cause.
(b) He believes they should be sailing faster.
(c) He believes Vallenar is working outside his authorization.
(d) He does not like Vallenar.
6. In Chapter 61, what is Britton counting down?
(a) Minutes until the Almirante Ramirez will surely be sunk.
(b) Minutes until they cross into international waters.
(c) Minutes until they reach American waters.
(d) Minutes until they return to the Chilean coast.
7. In Chapter 69, what does Amira suggest set off the electrical charge?
(a) Nothing, it did not happen.
(b) Someone touched it.
(c) Nothing, it was random.
(d) Someone hit it with the heat of a torch.
8. In Chapter 83, what order does Britton give Garza that Glinn countermands?
(a) Continue welding the cradle.
(b) Abadon ship.
(c) Trigger the dead man switch.
(d) Arrest Glinn.
9. In Chapter 78, what happens each time the Rolvaag rolls against the waves?
(a) The ship vibrates in the center, threatening to rip in two.
(b) The ship sinks deeper into the ocean.
(c) The ship rolls over on its side.
(d) The ship tips forward too far.
10. In Chapter 70, what is Vallenar's greatest fear as the waves begin to take their toll on his ship?
(a) He will not be able to complete his mission.
(b) He will not be able to retrieve the meteorite for Chile.
(c) He will die.
(d) He will not see his son again.
11. In Chapter 71, why does Amira confess to McFarlane that she wants to continue studying the meteorite even after they arrive back in the States?
(a) To find an internal power source.
(b) To write a paper that will make her reputation in the scientific community.
(c) To learn how old it really it.
(d) To prove it is interstellar.
12. In Chapter 44, Glinn calls what person to inform them on the current situation?
(a) Lloyd's secretary.
(c) Chilean officials.
13. In Chapter 63, who is the first person interviewed in the investigation into the discharge of the meteorite?
14. In Chapter 45, Glinn makes a comment about the mysterious dead man in Spanish. What does this statement suggest to both McFarlane and the reader?
(a) Glinn has no clue who the man was or who sent him.
(b) Glinn speaks in Spanish when he does not want anyone to know what he is saying.
(c) Glinn is having a nervous breakdown.
(d) Glinn thinks the man was sent by Vallenar.
15. In Chapter 83, what does Britton ask Glinn to do?
(a) Release the tarp on the meteorite.
(b) Trigger the dead man switch.
(c) Leave on a lifeboat with her.
(d) Marry her.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 72, what does Britton believe finally proved Glinn human?
2. In Chapter 51, what does the Almirante Ramirez do that causes tension on the Rolvaag's bridge?
3. What is the cradle where the meteorite is to sit in the ship designed for?
4. How long does it take to move the meteorite to the bluffs overlooking the Rolvaag?
5. In Chapter 56, why does Vallenar think the Rolvaag is still moored to the cliffs despite the incoming storm?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)