|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 59, how long does Vallenar believe he has before his ship is forced into the reefs beyond Isla Deceit?
(a) Half an hour.
(b) One hour.
(c) Two hours.
(d) Ten minutes.
2. In Chapter 64, where does Britton plan to take the Rolvag out of Drake Passage?
(a) Toward South America to escape the gale.
(b) Toward the Ice Limit.
(c) Toward a British Naval Base on Georgia Island.
(d) Toward American waters.
3. In Chapter 84, who took command of the Rolvaag's crew after Britton left the bridge?
4. In Chapter 46, Britton expresses concern about having the meteorite on her ship. How does Glinn convince her to go forward with it?
(a) He threatens to give a bad report to the child custody judge.
(b) He asks her to trust him.
(c) He promises to pay her extra.
(d) He ignores her concerns.
5. In Chapter 71, what item of jewelry does Amira ask to wear of McFarlane's in a moment of intimacy?
(a) His high school class ring.
(b) His MIT ring.
(c) His grandmother's brooch.
(d) His mother's wedding ring.
6. In Chapter 57, how does Glinn disable the Almirante Ramirez?
(a) By sending a man to commandeer the bridge.
(b) By firing a weapon from the deck of the Rolvaag.
(c) By forcing it into the rocks along the cliff side of the Isla Desolacion.
(d) By setting off explosive previously placed on the ship's screws.
7. In Chapter 57, what weapons system does Glinn reveal he has placed on the Rolvaag?
(a) An McDonnell-Douglas Automatic Chaff Deploy System.
(b) An Exocet missle launcher.
(c) A McDonnell-Douglas Blackout Series Wide Band ECM.
(d) A 9mm Deck Mounted Machine Gun.
8. In Chapter 63, who is the first person interviewed in the investigation into the discharge of the meteorite?
9. In Chapter 72, what does Britton believe finally proved Glinn human?
(a) Admitting to his affection for her.
(b) Bleeding in an accident.
(c) Being wrong.
(d) Knowing more than everyone else.
10. In Chapter 52, why does Glinn have Lloyd locked in his suite on the Rolvaag?
(a) He refuses to pay Glinn for his services.
(b) He attempts to overrule Britton's control of the bridge.
(c) He attempts to call the Chilean government for help.
(d) He attempts to interfere in Glinn's plan for the Almirante Ramirez.
11. In Chapter 81, what reason does McFarlane believe it was a mistake to take the meteorite to sea?
(a) It is dangerous to the ship and crew.
(b) It is a danger to the eco system of the earth.
(c) If it leaves the ship it will never be recoverable again.
(d) It has caused the Rolvaag's current situation.
12. In Chapter 60, what happens in the seconds before the meteorite sets off yet another electrical surge?
(a) The ship rolls.
(b) The hull breaks.
(c) The cradle fails.
(d) Someone touches the meteorite.
13. In Chapter 77, what does Glinn express a desire to learn from Britton?
(d) Piano playing.
14. In Chapter 78, how long can the Rolvaag expect to have auxiliary power?
(a) Twenty hours.
(b) Three hours.
(c) Fifteen hours.
(d) Twenty-five hours.
15. In Chapter 61, what item does Glinn reveal he brought an entire case of on board the Rolvaag?
(b) White Wine.
(c) Red Wine.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 57, what does Glinn want Puppup to do?
2. In Chapter 45, Glinn makes a comment about the mysterious dead man in Spanish. What does this statement suggest to both McFarlane and the reader?
3. In Chapter 65, what does Glinn realize the Almirante Ramirez has really done?
4. In Chapter 61, who does Glinn send to take care of the apparent discharge from the meteorite?
5. What is the meaning of the term, dead in the water?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)