|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 64, Glinn repeatedly suggests Vallenar will do what?
(a) Turn around.
(b) Attack them.
(c) Leave them alone.
(d) Call in reinforcements.
2. In Chapter 57, whom does Glinn feel admires him for his actions?
3. In the final chapter of the novel, where do the survivors find themselves three days after rescue?
(a) A Peruvian hospital.
(b) A British scientific station.
(c) A Chilean hospital.
(d) A New York City hotel.
4. In Chapter 60, who is in charge of the team sent to finish the welds on the meteorite's cradle?
5. In Chapter 61, what happens to the bridge's computers as they watch the movement on radar of the ship in pursuit of the Rolvaag?
(a) They momentarily shut down or lose some power.
(b) They burn out and go dark.
(c) They begin giving false readings.
6. In Chapter 78, how long can the Rolvaag expect to have auxiliary power?
(a) Three hours.
(b) Twenty-five hours.
(c) Twenty hours.
(d) Fifteen hours.
7. In Chapter 51, Glinn reveals that EES controls what vital component of the Rolvaag?
(a) The radar system.
(b) The engine room.
(c) The propellers.
(d) The computer system.
8. In Chapter 83, what order does Britton give Garza that Glinn countermands?
(a) Abadon ship.
(b) Continue welding the cradle.
(c) Trigger the dead man switch.
(d) Arrest Glinn.
9. In Chapter 61, what is Britton counting down?
(a) Minutes until they return to the Chilean coast.
(b) Minutes until the Almirante Ramirez will surely be sunk.
(c) Minutes until they cross into international waters.
(d) Minutes until they reach American waters.
10. In Chapter 76, what does Vallenar believe Captain Britton is attempting to do in the Ice Limit?
(a) Wait for reinforcements.
(b) Dump the meteorite.
(c) Set him up for disaster.
11. In Chapter 60, how long does it take the crew to make most of the welds?
(a) Twenty-two minutes.
(b) Twenty minutes.
(c) Twelve minutes.
(d) Thirty-two minutes.
12. In Chapter 82, what one word does Britton utter each time the ship struggles against a new wave?
13. In Chapter 59, why does Vallenar request a team of six go into the water to repair the propellers?
(a) It takes six to lift the heavy propellers.
(b) At least one of them will live long enough to finish the job.
(c) At least that many are necessary to remove the old propellers.
(d) It takes six to bolt the propeller to the ship.
14. What are Willey Peters?
(b) White phosphorus used to light up a dark sea.
(c) Yellow phosphorus used in chemical warfare.
15. In Chapter 69, what are investigators looking at in an attempt to find out what happened to cause the meteorite to discharge electricity in the cargo hold?
(a) The meteorite itself.
(b) Security footage.
(c) Damage from the discharge.
(d) Security logs.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 64, where does Britton plan to take the Rolvag out of Drake Passage?
2. In Chapter 61, who does Glinn send to take care of the apparent discharge from the meteorite?
3. In Chapter 84, where do the survivors take refuge from the sea?
4. In Chapter 60, who gets credit for keeping the cradle design simple in order to make the welding quick?
5. In Chapter 77, what does Britton believe will happen once the Rolvaag stops moving forward?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)