|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Puppup react in Chapter 21 as Lloyd, Glinn, and McFarlane admire Isla Desolacion?
(a) He laughs.
(b) He walks away.
(c) He cries.
(d) He insists it is his island, not theirs.
2. How much does Lloyd promise to pay McFarlane in the end of Chapter 4?
(a) One million dollars.
(b) Half a million dollars.
(c) Three quarters of a million dollars.
(d) One hundred thousand dollars.
3. Who does Puppup believe is responsible for the deaths of Evans, Rochefort, and Masangkay?
4. In Chapter 42, how does Timmer find the door to the tunnel where the meteorite sits?
(a) He sees people milling around the open door.
(b) He forces the guard to tell him before he kills him.
(c) He sees light beneath a keg of nails.
(d) He sees the guard come from a steel door hidden under a insignificant worker's tent.
5. How has Glinn disguised the labs to be used in the recovery of the meteorite?
(a) To look like mining equipment.
(b) To look like shipping containers.
(c) To look like oil excavating equipment.
(d) To look like a medical lab.
6. Who does Glinn reveal has the only key to the dead man switch in Chapter 13?
(a) Glinn, McFarlane, and Howell.
(b) Glinn, Rochefort, and Garza.
(c) Glinn, Lloyd, and Britton.
(d) Glinn, McFarlane, and Amira.
7. What does McFarlane do to Masangkay's remains in Chapter 22?
(a) Leaves them exposed to the elements.
(b) Gathers them together to take back to the ship.
(c) Covers them with rocks.
(d) Buries them.
8. What is the 'night lunch' mentioned in Chapter 11?
(a) A celebrated meal when a ship crosses the date line.
(b) A routine snack sailors partake in.
(c) The first meal upon the Rolvaag.
(d) McFarlane's nickname for a brief flirtation.
9. In Chapter 30, McFarlane says tests on a sample of the meteorite will reveal what properties?
(a) Electron configuration, chemical, and atomic radius.
(b) Electrical and chemical only.
(c) Electrical, chemical, and physical.
(d) Physical, chemical, and electron configuration.
10. Why does Vallenar dislike disposable razors as discussed in Chapter 28?
(a) Two blades are not enough to give a good shave.
(b) Two blades are a waste when one is good enough. It is typical of American inventions.
(c) They are cheap.
(d) They do not shave closely enough.
11. What does the team initially use, as seen in Chapter 23, to remove the dirt over the top of the meteorite?
(a) Back hoes.
12. In Chapter 38, McFarlane recognizes the twin fangs of Hanuxa as what geological formations?
(a) Volcanic plugs.
(b) Ancient man-made structures.
(c) Debris from platonic activity.
(d) Eroded boulders.
13. What item of modern technology does Sam McFarlane attempt to get San Bushmen to use in order to help him search for meteorites?
(a) Cell phones.
(b) Metal detectors.
(c) Seismograph machines.
(d) Large magnets.
14. How does McFarlane believe the meteorite's arrival on the island impacted the topography of the island?
(a) It destroyed the volcano.
(b) It created the volcano.
(c) It landed during an eruption, causing its unique color.
(d) It caused a volcanic eruption.
15. What did the large bone found in a sandstone wall of a canyon turn out to be as described in Chapter 3?
(a) A large Tyrannosaurus.
(b) The intertwined skeletons of two dinosaurs.
(c) A large Triceratops.
(d) The site of an ancient cemetery.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 38, Amira tells McFarlane that she collected what unusual arachnid?
2. What does Lloyd want to call the meteorite?
3. What type of bit do Amira and McFarlane attempt to drill the meteorite with?
4. What is Christie's, the setting of Chapter 3?
5. In Chapter 28, what item does Vallenar ask the man he is interviewing to give to him?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)