|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Amira suggest is off about the color of the meteorite, as she explains in Chapter 25?
(a) It is paint put on the meteorite by jokesters.
(b) No meteorite in history has ever been that color.
(c) It is only a reflection of the soil around it.
(d) No known metal alloys can create such a color.
2. What is the name of the Thomas Cole painting Palmer Lloyd loves the most of all his rare and valuable belongings, as described in Chapter 5?
(a) Sunny Morning in Acapulco.
(b) Sunny Morning on the Mississippi.
(c) Sunny Morning in Chile.
(d) Sunny Morning on the Hudson River.
3. What illness does Puppup claim killed his wife in Chapter 36?
(c) Chicken pox.
(d) The plague.
4. What did the large bone found in a sandstone wall of a canyon turn out to be as described in Chapter 3?
(a) The site of an ancient cemetery.
(b) The intertwined skeletons of two dinosaurs.
(c) A large Triceratops.
(d) A large Tyrannosaurus.
5. Where does Glinn ask to meet McFarlane in Chapter 20?
(a) The sickbay.
(b) The captain's mess.
(c) The library.
(d) The bridge.
6. How much does Glinn say it will cost to determine if EES can recover the meteorite from Isla Desolacion in Chapter 7?
(a) One hundred dollars.
(b) One million dollars.
(c) One thousand dollars.
(d) One hundred thousand dollars.
7. What item of modern technology does Sam McFarlane attempt to get San Bushmen to use in order to help him search for meteorites?
(a) Metal detectors.
(b) Seismograph machines.
(c) Large magnets.
(d) Cell phones.
8. What famous assassination are Glinn's team reenacting when McFarlane arrives at EES's offices in Chapter 6?
(a) Abraham Lincoln's death in Washington, D.C.
(b) Lee Harvey Oswald's death in Dallas.
(c) Martin Luther King Jr.'s death in Memphis.
(d) John Fitzgerald Kennedy's death in Dallas.
9. In Chapter 42, what damage to the cart beneath the meteorite makes McFarlane believe the disturbance was an electrical arc rather than a bomb?
(a) Damage to the inside of the tunnel.
(b) Melted metal and burning tires.
(c) Melted rock and a burning corpse.
(d) Damage to the bottom of the meteorite.
10. In Chapter 29, what does Amira say Glinn hates?
(a) Hard work.
11. In Chapter 42, how does Timmer find the door to the tunnel where the meteorite sits?
(a) He forces the guard to tell him before he kills him.
(b) He sees people milling around the open door.
(c) He sees the guard come from a steel door hidden under a insignificant worker's tent.
(d) He sees light beneath a keg of nails.
12. What is Nestor Masangkay looking for on Isla Desolacion?
(a) A meteorite.
13. What is an electromagnetic tomographic sounder?
(a) A machine used to find magnetic activity under the groun.
(b) A machine used to dig in isolated areas.
(c) A machine used to see underneath the earth without digging.
(d) A machine used to measure earthquakes.
14. Who does McFarlane and Amira see jogging in foul weather on the deck of the Rolvaag in Chapter 20?
15. Why does Masangkay touch his find in Chapter 1?
(a) He is excited.
(b) He wants to take energy from it.
(c) He wants to see if it is real.
(d) He wants to lift it out of the ground.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Puppup react in Chapter 21 as Lloyd, Glinn, and McFarlane admire Isla Desolacion?
2. What is the name of the channel where the Rolvaag lowers its anchor during the recovery of the meteorite?
3. How much does Lloyd promise to pay McFarlane in the end of Chapter 4?
4. What does Amira claim uses more calories than jogging?
5. In Chapter 28, what item does Vallenar ask the man he is interviewing to give to him?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)