|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Brambell doing in Chapter 32 that he is forced to put aside to conduct the examination of Masangkay's remains?
(c) Watching television.
2. In Chapter 39, what does the letter Vallenar reads tell him about the Rolvaag's mining expedition on Isla Desolacion?
(a) They are searching for silver.
(b) They are not searching for gold.
(c) They are not mining for gas.
(d) They are searching for oil.
3. Who has Glinn hired to change the outward appearance of the ship purchased for the recovery of the meteorite?
(a) Hollywood Magic and Scenery.
(b) Military camouflage experts.
(c) Professional ship builders.
(d) Industrial Light and Magic.
4. In Chapter 28, what item does Vallenar ask the man he is interviewing to give to him?
(a) A copy of the Rolvaag's custom papers.
(b) A set of propellors.
(c) A rock.
(d) A piece of raw gold.
5. What type of bit do Amira and McFarlane attempt to drill the meteorite with?
(a) A steel bit.
(b) A glass bit.
(c) A diamond bit.
(d) An iron bit.
6. In Chapter 30, McFarlane says tests on a sample of the meteorite will reveal what properties?
(a) Electrical and chemical only.
(b) Electrical, chemical, and physical.
(c) Electron configuration, chemical, and atomic radius.
(d) Physical, chemical, and electron configuration.
7. Why does Glinn tell Britton in Chapter 18 that they should not worry about Vallenar?
(a) He is just a crazy old man.
(b) He has no authority over them.
(c) No one respects him enough to care about his opinion.
(d) No one believed him.
8. In Chapter 41, what does Garza call the plan that they intend to use to move the meteorite from the staging site to the bluffs above the Rolvaag?
(a) Run and hide.
(b) Cut and cover.
(c) Cover and run.
(d) Hide and dash.
9. What natural landmark marks the area where Masangkay made his camp?
(a) A large boulder.
(b) A huge oak tree.
(c) A small pine tree.
(d) A valley in the snowfield.
10. What is the name of the Thomas Cole painting Palmer Lloyd loves the most of all his rare and valuable belongings, as described in Chapter 5?
(a) Sunny Morning in Chile.
(b) Sunny Morning on the Mississippi.
(c) Sunny Morning in Acapulco.
(d) Sunny Morning on the Hudson River.
11. How much does Glinn tell Lloyd he will charge to complete the recovery of the meteorite from the Isla Desolacion in Chapter 8?
(a) One hundred fifty million dollars.
(b) Three hundred fifty million dollars.
(c) Three hundred million dollars.
(d) One hundred million dollars.
12. In Chapter 38, McFarlane recognizes the twin fangs of Hanuxa as what geological formations?
(a) Ancient man-made structures.
(b) Eroded boulders.
(c) Volcanic plugs.
(d) Debris from platonic activity.
13. In Chapter 38, Amira tells McFarlane that she collected what unusual arachnid?
(a) Black widows.
(d) Brown recluse.
14. What is the melting point of the meteorite?
(a) One point two million degrees Kelvin.
(b) One point two thousand degrees Kelvin.
(c) One point two degrees Kelvin.
(d) One point two hundred degrees Kelvin.
15. What does Rochefort manually release on the jacks in Chapter 34?
(a) The computer control.
(b) The power cables.
(c) The hydraulic valves.
(d) The clasp connecting the jacks to the meteorite.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Amira tell McFarlane that Glinn earned his military experience?
2. What is Isla Desolacion?
3. In Chapter 36, Glinn claims his great-great-great grandfather kidnapped what relative of Puppup's?
4. Where does Glinn ask to meet McFarlane in Chapter 20?
5. In Chapter 9, what author does Britton quote before she leaves Glinn?
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)