|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Isla Desolacion?
(a) An island off the coast of Chile.
(b) An island off the coast of Brazil.
(c) An island off the coast of Mexico.
(d) An island off the coast of Peru.
2. What is the profession of the man Vallenar interviews in Chapter 28?
(a) Dealer in used eletronic equipment.
(b) Dealer in illegal surveillance.
(c) Dealer in illegal government documents.
(d) Dealer in cheap ship repair equipment.
3. In Chapter 38, Amira tells McFarlane that she collected what unusual arachnid?
(b) Brown recluse.
(d) Black widows.
4. What is Brambell doing in Chapter 32 that he is forced to put aside to conduct the examination of Masangkay's remains?
(b) Watching television.
5. In Chapter 38, McFarlane recognizes the twin fangs of Hanuxa as what geological formations?
(a) Volcanic plugs.
(b) Debris from platonic activity.
(c) Ancient man-made structures.
(d) Eroded boulders.
6. What does Masangkay find using his electromagnetic tomographic sounder?
(c) A meteorite.
7. What type of ship has Glinn purchased for the recovery of the meteorite?
(a) A aircraft carrier.
(b) A cruise ship.
(c) A military destroyer.
(d) An oil tanker.
8. What famous assassination are Glinn's team reenacting when McFarlane arrives at EES's offices in Chapter 6?
(a) Lee Harvey Oswald's death in Dallas.
(b) Martin Luther King Jr.'s death in Memphis.
(c) Abraham Lincoln's death in Washington, D.C.
(d) John Fitzgerald Kennedy's death in Dallas.
9. In Chapter 28, how does Vallenar force the man he is interviewing to tell him the truth?
(a) He threatens to have him arrested.
(b) He promises a large payment.
(c) He beats him up.
(d) He cuts off his fingernail.
10. What does Amira suggest is off about the color of the meteorite, as she explains in Chapter 25?
(a) No meteorite in history has ever been that color.
(b) It is paint put on the meteorite by jokesters.
(c) No known metal alloys can create such a color.
(d) It is only a reflection of the soil around it.
11. What does panteonero mean?
(b) Death's breath.
(c) Cemetery wind.
(d) Graveyard breeze.
12. In Chapter 31, McFarlane claims the meteorite is like what element?
(a) Noble gas.
(b) Alkali metals.
(c) Transition elements.
13. What illness does Puppup claim killed his wife in Chapter 36?
(c) Chicken pox.
(d) The plague.
14. In Chapter 17, why does Comandante Vallenar tell custom officials that the Americans are after gold on Isla Desolacion?
(a) He has tried to mine gold there himself.
(b) He does not believe there is iron ore on the island.
(c) He does not want them given the right to step on Chilean soil.
(d) He believes all foreigners are looking for gold.
15. What does Lloyd want to call the meteorite?
(a) Desolation meteorite.
(b) Lloyd meteorite.
(c) Rolvaag meteorite.
(d) Chilean meteorite.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the weather like in Chapter 1 as Masangkay unearths part of his find?
2. What is the name of the Thomas Cole painting Palmer Lloyd loves the most of all his rare and valuable belongings, as described in Chapter 5?
3. What does McFarlane want to call the meteorite?
4. In Chapter 30, McFarlane says tests on a sample of the meteorite will reveal what properties?
5. What does McFarlane do to Masangkay's remains in Chapter 22?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)