|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what reason is it revealed in Chapter 9 Captain Britton went to rehab?
(d) Illegal drugs.
2. In Chapter 9, what author does Britton quote before she leaves Glinn?
(a) W.H. Auden.
(b) Stephen King.
(c) Edgar Allen Poe.
(d) T.S. Eliot.
3. What does Rochefort manually release on the jacks in Chapter 34?
(a) The clasp connecting the jacks to the meteorite.
(b) The power cables.
(c) The hydraulic valves.
(d) The computer control.
4. What famous assassination are Glinn's team reenacting when McFarlane arrives at EES's offices in Chapter 6?
(a) Martin Luther King Jr.'s death in Memphis.
(b) John Fitzgerald Kennedy's death in Dallas.
(c) Abraham Lincoln's death in Washington, D.C.
(d) Lee Harvey Oswald's death in Dallas.
5. What element of the San Bushman language does McFarlane have trouble reproducing in Chapter 4?
(a) The strange consonants.
(b) The guttural sounds of the language.
(c) The trill of the r's.
(d) The strange clicks of the language.
6. What is Christie's, the setting of Chapter 3?
(a) A department store.
(b) An auction house.
(c) A museum.
(d) A grocery store.
7. Why does Palmer Lloyd go to the Kalahari Desert to see Sam McFarlane in Chapter 4?
(a) To ask him to organize an expedition to recover a meteorite.
(b) To ask him to head his new science museum.
(c) To ask him to to ask Masangkay to sell Lloyd his latest discovery.
(d) To ask him to finish Masangkay's expedition.
8. Who does McFarlane and Amira see jogging in foul weather on the deck of the Rolvaag in Chapter 20?
9. Where did Wilson Atcitty find a large bone protruding from a sandstone wall as described in Chapter 3?
(a) In Alaska.
(b) In Chile.
(c) On the Arizona-New Mexico border.
(d) On the border of California and Mexico.
10. How big does Garza believe the meteorite is as discussed in Chapter 31?
(a) Four feet in diameter.
(b) Ten feet in diameter.
(c) Twenty feet in diameter.
(d) Forty-two feet in diameter.
11. How much does Glinn say it will cost to determine if EES can recover the meteorite from Isla Desolacion in Chapter 7?
(a) One thousand dollars.
(b) One hundred thousand dollars.
(c) One million dollars.
(d) One hundred dollars.
12. What item of modern technology does Sam McFarlane attempt to get San Bushmen to use in order to help him search for meteorites?
(a) Metal detectors.
(b) Seismograph machines.
(c) Large magnets.
(d) Cell phones.
13. What is the 'night lunch' mentioned in Chapter 11?
(a) A routine snack sailors partake in.
(b) A celebrated meal when a ship crosses the date line.
(c) The first meal upon the Rolvaag.
(d) McFarlane's nickname for a brief flirtation.
14. In Chapter 39, Vallenar reads a letter from what type of scientist?
(a) A chemist.
(b) A meteorologist.
(c) A medical researcher.
(d) A geologist.
15. What does McFarlane want to call the meteorite?
(a) Masangkay meteorite.
(b) McFarlane meteorite.
(c) MasanFarlane meteorite.
(d) EES meteorite.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 31, McFarlane claims the meteorite is like what element?
2. What does Amira claim uses more calories than jogging?
3. Who, in Chapter 12, makes the loudest objection to the banned beverage?
4. In Chapter 17, why does Comandante Vallenar tell custom officials that the Americans are after gold on Isla Desolacion?
5. How much does Glinn tell Lloyd he will charge to complete the recovery of the meteorite from the Isla Desolacion in Chapter 8?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)