|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does McFarlane believe the meteorite's arrival on the island impacted the topography of the island?
(a) It created the volcano.
(b) It landed during an eruption, causing its unique color.
(c) It destroyed the volcano.
(d) It caused a volcanic eruption.
2. Who is the author of the story mentioned in Chapter 12, 'Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket'?
(a) Stephen Crane.
(b) Edgar Allen Poe.
(c) Stephen King.
(d) T.S. Eliot.
3. What is an island of stability?
(a) A hypothetical group of elements high on the periodic table that are stable.
(b) A floating island that will not tip.
(c) A group of elements low on the periodic table that are stable.
(d) A ship that floats on the upper most layer of water.
4. What meal does McFarlane recall in Chapter 22 that Masangkay attempted to share with him five years previously as they hid from armored trucks in a foreign country?
(a) Cold sandwiches.
(d) Ramen noodles.
5. Why does Masangkay touch his find in Chapter 1?
(a) He wants to take energy from it.
(b) He is excited.
(c) He wants to lift it out of the ground.
(d) He wants to see if it is real.
6. Why does Palmer Lloyd go to the Kalahari Desert to see Sam McFarlane in Chapter 4?
(a) To ask him to to ask Masangkay to sell Lloyd his latest discovery.
(b) To ask him to finish Masangkay's expedition.
(c) To ask him to head his new science museum.
(d) To ask him to organize an expedition to recover a meteorite.
7. In Chapter 39, who does Vallenar wish to interrogate about the actions of the Americans on the Rolvaag?
(c) The custom officials.
8. What state does the meteorite become when it reaches its melting point?
9. What is an electromagnetic tomographic sounder?
(a) A machine used to see underneath the earth without digging.
(b) A machine used to measure earthquakes.
(c) A machine used to dig in isolated areas.
(d) A machine used to find magnetic activity under the groun.
10. Where did Wilson Atcitty find a large bone protruding from a sandstone wall as described in Chapter 3?
(a) In Chile.
(b) On the Arizona-New Mexico border.
(c) On the border of California and Mexico.
(d) In Alaska.
11. What did the large bone found in a sandstone wall of a canyon turn out to be as described in Chapter 3?
(a) A large Triceratops.
(b) The intertwined skeletons of two dinosaurs.
(c) A large Tyrannosaurus.
(d) The site of an ancient cemetery.
12. What does Amira claim uses more calories than jogging?
(a) Heart cells.
(d) Brain cells.
13. Who does Glinn reveal has the only key to the dead man switch in Chapter 13?
(a) Glinn, McFarlane, and Howell.
(b) Glinn, McFarlane, and Amira.
(c) Glinn, Rochefort, and Garza.
(d) Glinn, Lloyd, and Britton.
14. How much does Glinn say it will cost to determine if EES can recover the meteorite from Isla Desolacion in Chapter 7?
(a) One million dollars.
(b) One hundred thousand dollars.
(c) One hundred dollars.
(d) One thousand dollars.
15. What happens in Chapter 33 when Glinn orders the power stopped to all the jacks under the meteorite?
(a) The jacks fail.
(b) The jacks lock up.
(c) The jacks drop the meteorite.
(d) The jacks fall too quickly.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Christie's, the setting of Chapter 3?
2. What type of bit do Amira and McFarlane attempt to drill the meteorite with?
3. What illness does Puppup claim killed his wife in Chapter 36?
4. Why does Glinn tell Britton in Chapter 18 that they should not worry about Vallenar?
5. What does Rochefort manually release on the jacks in Chapter 34?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)