|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the author of the story mentioned in Chapter 12, 'Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket'?
(a) T.S. Eliot.
(b) Stephen Crane.
(c) Stephen King.
(d) Edgar Allen Poe.
2. What is a dead man switch?
(a) A switch to remove casualties of an accident quickly.
(b) A ejection switch to quickly remove the meteorite in an emergency.
(c) A switch to sink the ship should their mission be discovered.
(d) A switch to cut power to the bridge in an emergency.
3. In Chapter 9, what author does Britton quote before she leaves Glinn?
(a) T.S. Eliot.
(b) Edgar Allen Poe.
(c) W.H. Auden.
(d) Stephen King.
4. How much does Lloyd promise to pay McFarlane in the end of Chapter 4?
(a) Three quarters of a million dollars.
(b) Half a million dollars.
(c) One million dollars.
(d) One hundred thousand dollars.
5. In Chapter 28, how does Vallenar force the man he is interviewing to tell him the truth?
(a) He beats him up.
(b) He cuts off his fingernail.
(c) He promises a large payment.
(d) He threatens to have him arrested.
6. What does Rochefort manually release on the jacks in Chapter 34?
(a) The clasp connecting the jacks to the meteorite.
(b) The power cables.
(c) The hydraulic valves.
(d) The computer control.
7. What does panteonero mean?
(b) Graveyard breeze.
(c) Cemetery wind.
(d) Death's breath.
8. Why does Glinn tell Britton in Chapter 18 that they should not worry about Vallenar?
(a) He has no authority over them.
(b) No one believed him.
(c) He is just a crazy old man.
(d) No one respects him enough to care about his opinion.
9. For what reason is it revealed in Chapter 9 Captain Britton went to rehab?
(d) Illegal drugs.
10. In Chapter 29, what does Amira say Glinn hates?
(c) Hard work.
11. Where does Amira tell McFarlane that Glinn earned his military experience?
12. What does Glinn provide in Chapter 23 to help christen the meteorite?
(a) Carbonated apple juice.
13. What does Lloyd want to call the meteorite?
(a) Lloyd meteorite.
(b) Desolation meteorite.
(c) Rolvaag meteorite.
(d) Chilean meteorite.
14. What is Isla Desolacion?
(a) An island off the coast of Brazil.
(b) An island off the coast of Mexico.
(c) An island off the coast of Chile.
(d) An island off the coast of Peru.
15. How big does Garza believe the meteorite is as discussed in Chapter 31?
(a) Forty-two feet in diameter.
(b) Four feet in diameter.
(c) Ten feet in diameter.
(d) Twenty feet in diameter.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Glinn plan to keep the meteorite stable during travel?
2. In Chapter 35, Glinn tells the team that the mass of the meteorite has been updated after the jack failure. What is the new estimated mass?
3. What type of bit do Amira and McFarlane attempt to drill the meteorite with?
4. What does Amira suggest is off about the color of the meteorite, as she explains in Chapter 25?
5. What was Glinn attempting to secure during his military career that caused the loss of his entire team, minus himself and Garza, as Amira tells it in Chapter 11?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)