|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 42, how does Timmer find the door to the tunnel where the meteorite sits?
(a) He forces the guard to tell him before he kills him.
(b) He sees people milling around the open door.
(c) He sees the guard come from a steel door hidden under a insignificant worker's tent.
(d) He sees light beneath a keg of nails.
2. In Chapter 17, why does Comandante Vallenar tell custom officials that the Americans are after gold on Isla Desolacion?
(a) He does not want them given the right to step on Chilean soil.
(b) He does not believe there is iron ore on the island.
(c) He has tried to mine gold there himself.
(d) He believes all foreigners are looking for gold.
3. How much does Lloyd promise to pay McFarlane in the end of Chapter 4?
(a) Half a million dollars.
(b) One million dollars.
(c) Three quarters of a million dollars.
(d) One hundred thousand dollars.
4. In Chapter 42, what damage to the cart beneath the meteorite makes McFarlane believe the disturbance was an electrical arc rather than a bomb?
(a) Damage to the inside of the tunnel.
(b) Melted metal and burning tires.
(c) Melted rock and a burning corpse.
(d) Damage to the bottom of the meteorite.
5. What is McFarlane's pet theory that is revealed in Chapter 25?
(a) Interstellar meteorites.
(b) Meteorites created by colliding stars.
(c) Intergalaxy meteorites.
(d) Meteorites buried so long they absorbe the color of the earth around them.
6. What does Masangkay find using his electromagnetic tomographic sounder?
(d) A meteorite.
7. In Chapter 38, Amira tells McFarlane that she collected what unusual arachnid?
(c) Black widows.
(d) Brown recluse.
8. In Chapter 41, what does Garza call the plan that they intend to use to move the meteorite from the staging site to the bluffs above the Rolvaag?
(a) Cover and run.
(b) Cut and cover.
(c) Run and hide.
(d) Hide and dash.
9. What is the name of the meteorite that caused the falling out between McFarlane and Masangkay?
(a) MasanFarlane Meteorite.
(b) Chilean Meteorite.
(c) Monty's Meteorite.
(d) Tornarssuk Meteorite.
10. Why does Masangkay touch his find in Chapter 1?
(a) He wants to lift it out of the ground.
(b) He wants to see if it is real.
(c) He is excited.
(d) He wants to take energy from it.
11. In Chapter 36, Glinn claims his great-great-great grandfather kidnapped what relative of Puppup's?
(a) His great-great-great uncle.
(b) His great-great-great grandfather.
(c) His great-great-great aunt.
(d) His great-great-great grandmother.
12. What does panteonero mean?
(a) Death's breath.
(c) Cemetery wind.
(d) Graveyard breeze.
13. How much does Garza believe the meteorite weighs as discussed in Chapter 31?
(a) Ten hundred thousand tons.
(b) Ten thousand ounces.
(c) Ten thousand tons.
(d) Ten thousand pounds.
14. In Chapter 38, McFarlane recognizes the twin fangs of Hanuxa as what geological formations?
(a) Volcanic plugs.
(b) Eroded boulders.
(c) Ancient man-made structures.
(d) Debris from platonic activity.
15. What happens in Chapter 33 when Glinn orders the power stopped to all the jacks under the meteorite?
(a) The jacks fall too quickly.
(b) The jacks fail.
(c) The jacks drop the meteorite.
(d) The jacks lock up.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has Glinn hired to change the outward appearance of the ship purchased for the recovery of the meteorite?
2. Who does McFarlane and Amira see jogging in foul weather on the deck of the Rolvaag in Chapter 20?
3. What type of bit do Amira and McFarlane attempt to drill the meteorite with?
4. What does McFarlane want to call the meteorite?
5. What is Isla Desolacion?
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)