|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What element of the San Bushman language does McFarlane have trouble reproducing in Chapter 4?
(a) The strange clicks of the language.
(b) The strange consonants.
(c) The guttural sounds of the language.
(d) The trill of the r's.
2. What does Amira suggest is off about the color of the meteorite, as she explains in Chapter 25?
(a) No meteorite in history has ever been that color.
(b) No known metal alloys can create such a color.
(c) It is paint put on the meteorite by jokesters.
(d) It is only a reflection of the soil around it.
3. Who does Glinn reveal has the only key to the dead man switch in Chapter 13?
(a) Glinn, Lloyd, and Britton.
(b) Glinn, McFarlane, and Amira.
(c) Glinn, Rochefort, and Garza.
(d) Glinn, McFarlane, and Howell.
4. What did the large bone found in a sandstone wall of a canyon turn out to be as described in Chapter 3?
(a) A large Tyrannosaurus.
(b) The site of an ancient cemetery.
(c) A large Triceratops.
(d) The intertwined skeletons of two dinosaurs.
5. In Chapter 38, Amira tells McFarlane that she collected what unusual arachnid?
(b) Brown recluse.
(d) Black widows.
6. How much does Glinn tell Lloyd he will charge to complete the recovery of the meteorite from the Isla Desolacion in Chapter 8?
(a) One hundred million dollars.
(b) One hundred fifty million dollars.
(c) Three hundred fifty million dollars.
(d) Three hundred million dollars.
7. What is the profession of the man Vallenar interviews in Chapter 28?
(a) Dealer in cheap ship repair equipment.
(b) Dealer in illegal surveillance.
(c) Dealer in used eletronic equipment.
(d) Dealer in illegal government documents.
8. What does Lloyd want to call the meteorite?
(a) Lloyd meteorite.
(b) Rolvaag meteorite.
(c) Chilean meteorite.
(d) Desolation meteorite.
9. What is the name of the meteorite that caused the falling out between McFarlane and Masangkay?
(a) MasanFarlane Meteorite.
(b) Chilean Meteorite.
(c) Monty's Meteorite.
(d) Tornarssuk Meteorite.
10. What illness does Puppup claim killed his wife in Chapter 36?
(c) Chicken pox.
(d) The plague.
11. What is the 'night lunch' mentioned in Chapter 11?
(a) McFarlane's nickname for a brief flirtation.
(b) The first meal upon the Rolvaag.
(c) A routine snack sailors partake in.
(d) A celebrated meal when a ship crosses the date line.
12. In Chapter 35, Glinn tells the team that the mass of the meteorite has been updated after the jack failure. What is the new estimated mass?
(a) Twenty-five thousand pounds.
(b) Twenty-five thousand tons.
(c) Twenty-five hundred thousand pounds.
(d) Twenty-five hundred thousand tons.
13. How big does Garza believe the meteorite is as discussed in Chapter 31?
(a) Forty-two feet in diameter.
(b) Twenty feet in diameter.
(c) Four feet in diameter.
(d) Ten feet in diameter.
14. What meal does McFarlane recall in Chapter 22 that Masangkay attempted to share with him five years previously as they hid from armored trucks in a foreign country?
(a) Ramen noodles.
(b) Cold sandwiches.
15. What does Amira claim uses more calories than jogging?
(a) Heart cells.
(d) Brain cells.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Nestor Masangkay looking for on Isla Desolacion?
2. In Chapter 17, why does Comandante Vallenar tell custom officials that the Americans are after gold on Isla Desolacion?
3. In Chapter 29, what does Amira say Glinn hates?
4. What is the weather like in Chapter 1 as Masangkay unearths part of his find?
5. In Chapter 41, what does Garza call the plan that they intend to use to move the meteorite from the staging site to the bluffs above the Rolvaag?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)