|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much does Glinn tell Lloyd he will charge to complete the recovery of the meteorite from the Isla Desolacion in Chapter 8?
(a) One hundred million dollars.
(b) Three hundred fifty million dollars.
(c) One hundred fifty million dollars.
(d) Three hundred million dollars.
2. What is Christie's, the setting of Chapter 3?
(a) A grocery store.
(b) A department store.
(c) A museum.
(d) An auction house.
3. What color is the meteorite when it is finally exposed in Chapter 24?
4. How does Puppup react in Chapter 21 as Lloyd, Glinn, and McFarlane admire Isla Desolacion?
(a) He insists it is his island, not theirs.
(b) He laughs.
(c) He walks away.
(d) He cries.
5. Where does Amira tell McFarlane that Glinn earned his military experience?
6. What is McFarlane's pet theory that is revealed in Chapter 25?
(a) Intergalaxy meteorites.
(b) Meteorites created by colliding stars.
(c) Meteorites buried so long they absorbe the color of the earth around them.
(d) Interstellar meteorites.
7. What did the large bone found in a sandstone wall of a canyon turn out to be as described in Chapter 3?
(a) The intertwined skeletons of two dinosaurs.
(b) The site of an ancient cemetery.
(c) A large Tyrannosaurus.
(d) A large Triceratops.
8. In Chapter 42, what covers the sounds of Timmer's approach as he infiltrates the perimeter of the staging area?
(a) An impending storm.
(b) Music from the staging area.
(c) Sand on the ground.
(d) Voices in the staging area.
9. What is the profession of the man Vallenar interviews in Chapter 28?
(a) Dealer in illegal government documents.
(b) Dealer in illegal surveillance.
(c) Dealer in used eletronic equipment.
(d) Dealer in cheap ship repair equipment.
10. What is an island of stability?
(a) A floating island that will not tip.
(b) A ship that floats on the upper most layer of water.
(c) A group of elements low on the periodic table that are stable.
(d) A hypothetical group of elements high on the periodic table that are stable.
11. In Chapter 35, Glinn tells the team that the mass of the meteorite has been updated after the jack failure. What is the new estimated mass?
(a) Twenty-five hundred thousand tons.
(b) Twenty-five hundred thousand pounds.
(c) Twenty-five thousand tons.
(d) Twenty-five thousand pounds.
12. What happens in Chapter 33 when Glinn has the power to the hydraulic jacks brought up to seventy percent?
(a) The meteorite rises six centimeters.
(b) The meteorite tips over.
(c) The meteorite moves too quickly.
13. What illness does Puppup claim killed his wife in Chapter 36?
(b) Chicken pox.
(c) The plague.
14. What impending situation is mentioned in both Chapters 39 and 40?
(a) An expected tsunami.
(b) A possible panteonero.
(c) A possible earthquake.
(d) A hurricane.
15. What type of bit do Amira and McFarlane attempt to drill the meteorite with?
(a) A diamond bit.
(b) A glass bit.
(c) An iron bit.
(d) A steel bit.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 28, how does Vallenar force the man he is interviewing to tell him the truth?
2. In Chapter 17, why does Comandante Vallenar tell custom officials that the Americans are after gold on Isla Desolacion?
3. What does McFarlane do to Masangkay's remains in Chapter 22?
4. What unsettling thing does Vallenar do to the Rolvaag in Chapter 36?
5. What type of ship has Glinn purchased for the recovery of the meteorite?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)