|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 28, what item does Vallenar ask the man he is interviewing to give to him?
(a) A copy of the Rolvaag's custom papers.
(b) A rock.
(c) A set of propellors.
(d) A piece of raw gold.
2. How does Puppup react in Chapter 21 as Lloyd, Glinn, and McFarlane admire Isla Desolacion?
(a) He cries.
(b) He laughs.
(c) He insists it is his island, not theirs.
(d) He walks away.
3. In Chapter 13 Glinn claims they have legal right to take the meteorite despite their desire to keep the meteorite secret. How is this true?
(a) Meteorites belong to whoever recovers them first.
(b) Meteorites, no matter where they are located, are owned by the American government.
(c) Glinn and team have mining claims to the island.
(d) Chile does not own the island, the Yaghan Indians do.
4. For what reason is it revealed in Chapter 9 Captain Britton went to rehab?
(b) Illegal drugs.
5. In Chapter 41, what does Garza call the plan that they intend to use to move the meteorite from the staging site to the bluffs above the Rolvaag?
(a) Cover and run.
(b) Hide and dash.
(c) Run and hide.
(d) Cut and cover.
6. What is the name of the Thomas Cole painting Palmer Lloyd loves the most of all his rare and valuable belongings, as described in Chapter 5?
(a) Sunny Morning in Chile.
(b) Sunny Morning in Acapulco.
(c) Sunny Morning on the Mississippi.
(d) Sunny Morning on the Hudson River.
7. What does Rochefort manually release on the jacks in Chapter 34?
(a) The power cables.
(b) The hydraulic valves.
(c) The clasp connecting the jacks to the meteorite.
(d) The computer control.
8. What element of the San Bushman language does McFarlane have trouble reproducing in Chapter 4?
(a) The trill of the r's.
(b) The strange clicks of the language.
(c) The guttural sounds of the language.
(d) The strange consonants.
9. What is an island of stability?
(a) A floating island that will not tip.
(b) A hypothetical group of elements high on the periodic table that are stable.
(c) A ship that floats on the upper most layer of water.
(d) A group of elements low on the periodic table that are stable.
10. What happens in Chapter 33 when Glinn has the power to the hydraulic jacks brought up to seventy percent?
(a) The meteorite rises six centimeters.
(b) The meteorite tips over.
(d) The meteorite moves too quickly.
11. How much does Garza believe the meteorite weighs as discussed in Chapter 31?
(a) Ten thousand pounds.
(b) Ten hundred thousand tons.
(c) Ten thousand tons.
(d) Ten thousand ounces.
12. In Chapter 35, Glinn tells the team that the mass of the meteorite has been updated after the jack failure. What is the new estimated mass?
(a) Twenty-five hundred thousand pounds.
(b) Twenty-five hundred thousand tons.
(c) Twenty-five thousand pounds.
(d) Twenty-five thousand tons.
13. What unsettling thing does Vallenar do to the Rolvaag in Chapter 36?
(a) Boards them.
(b) Fires machine gun weapons at them.
(c) Locks weapons.
(d) Cruises toward them in a collision course.
14. What state does the meteorite become when it reaches its melting point?
15. What does McFarlane do to Masangkay's remains in Chapter 22?
(a) Buries them.
(b) Covers them with rocks.
(c) Gathers them together to take back to the ship.
(d) Leaves them exposed to the elements.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Glinn plan to keep the meteorite stable during travel?
2. Where does Glinn ask to meet McFarlane in Chapter 20?
3. What item of modern technology does Sam McFarlane attempt to get San Bushmen to use in order to help him search for meteorites?
4. What is the melting point of the meteorite?
5. What natural landmark marks the area where Masangkay made his camp?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)