|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Palmer Lloyd go to the Kalahari Desert to see Sam McFarlane in Chapter 4?
(a) To ask him to head his new science museum.
(b) To ask him to finish Masangkay's expedition.
(c) To ask him to to ask Masangkay to sell Lloyd his latest discovery.
(d) To ask him to organize an expedition to recover a meteorite.
2. Who does McFarlane and Amira see jogging in foul weather on the deck of the Rolvaag in Chapter 20?
3. How has Glinn disguised the labs to be used in the recovery of the meteorite?
(a) To look like mining equipment.
(b) To look like shipping containers.
(c) To look like oil excavating equipment.
(d) To look like a medical lab.
4. What element of the San Bushman language does McFarlane have trouble reproducing in Chapter 4?
(a) The strange consonants.
(b) The guttural sounds of the language.
(c) The trill of the r's.
(d) The strange clicks of the language.
5. What is Isla Desolacion?
(a) An island off the coast of Chile.
(b) An island off the coast of Brazil.
(c) An island off the coast of Peru.
(d) An island off the coast of Mexico.
6. What is Brambell doing in Chapter 32 that he is forced to put aside to conduct the examination of Masangkay's remains?
(c) Watching television.
7. What is Nestor Masangkay looking for on Isla Desolacion?
(b) A meteorite.
8. In Chapter 30, McFarlane says tests on a sample of the meteorite will reveal what properties?
(a) Physical, chemical, and electron configuration.
(b) Electron configuration, chemical, and atomic radius.
(c) Electrical and chemical only.
(d) Electrical, chemical, and physical.
9. What drink has been banned from the Rolvaag?
10. What does Glinn provide in Chapter 23 to help christen the meteorite?
(a) Carbonated apple juice.
11. Who does Glinn reveal has the only key to the dead man switch in Chapter 13?
(a) Glinn, Rochefort, and Garza.
(b) Glinn, McFarlane, and Howell.
(c) Glinn, Lloyd, and Britton.
(d) Glinn, McFarlane, and Amira.
12. What did Nestor Masangkay call Isla Desolacion?
(a) A true place of desolation.
(b) The edge of the universe.
(c) A true frozen wonderland.
(d) The edge of the world.
13. What did the large bone found in a sandstone wall of a canyon turn out to be as described in Chapter 3?
(a) A large Tyrannosaurus.
(b) The intertwined skeletons of two dinosaurs.
(c) The site of an ancient cemetery.
(d) A large Triceratops.
14. In Chapter 36, Glinn claims his great-great-great grandfather kidnapped what relative of Puppup's?
(a) His great-great-great aunt.
(b) His great-great-great grandmother.
(c) His great-great-great grandfather.
(d) His great-great-great uncle.
15. What type of ship has Glinn purchased for the recovery of the meteorite?
(a) A cruise ship.
(b) An oil tanker.
(c) A aircraft carrier.
(d) A military destroyer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What item of modern technology does Sam McFarlane attempt to get San Bushmen to use in order to help him search for meteorites?
2. How much does Garza believe the meteorite weighs as discussed in Chapter 31?
3. In Chapter 28, what item does Vallenar ask the man he is interviewing to give to him?
4. How does Glinn plan to keep the meteorite stable during travel?
5. What does Lloyd want to call the meteorite?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)