|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What impending situation is mentioned in both Chapters 39 and 40?
(a) A possible earthquake.
(b) A hurricane.
(c) A possible panteonero.
(d) An expected tsunami.
2. What does Rochefort manually release on the jacks in Chapter 34?
(a) The hydraulic valves.
(b) The computer control.
(c) The clasp connecting the jacks to the meteorite.
(d) The power cables.
3. What is Isla Desolacion?
(a) An island off the coast of Brazil.
(b) An island off the coast of Chile.
(c) An island off the coast of Peru.
(d) An island off the coast of Mexico.
4. In Chapter 29, what does Amira say Glinn hates?
(d) Hard work.
5. What illness does Puppup claim killed his wife in Chapter 36?
(c) Chicken pox.
(d) The plague.
6. What does McFarlane do to Masangkay's remains in Chapter 22?
(a) Gathers them together to take back to the ship.
(b) Covers them with rocks.
(c) Leaves them exposed to the elements.
(d) Buries them.
7. Why does Vallenar dislike disposable razors as discussed in Chapter 28?
(a) They do not shave closely enough.
(b) Two blades are a waste when one is good enough. It is typical of American inventions.
(c) They are cheap.
(d) Two blades are not enough to give a good shave.
8. What does Masangkay find using his electromagnetic tomographic sounder?
(c) A meteorite.
9. What is Christie's, the setting of Chapter 3?
(a) An auction house.
(b) A grocery store.
(c) A museum.
(d) A department store.
10. In Chapter 38, Amira tells McFarlane that she collected what unusual arachnid?
(c) Black widows.
(d) Brown recluse.
11. Why does Palmer Lloyd go to the Kalahari Desert to see Sam McFarlane in Chapter 4?
(a) To ask him to finish Masangkay's expedition.
(b) To ask him to organize an expedition to recover a meteorite.
(c) To ask him to head his new science museum.
(d) To ask him to to ask Masangkay to sell Lloyd his latest discovery.
12. In Chapter 42, what damage to the cart beneath the meteorite makes McFarlane believe the disturbance was an electrical arc rather than a bomb?
(a) Damage to the inside of the tunnel.
(b) Melted rock and a burning corpse.
(c) Melted metal and burning tires.
(d) Damage to the bottom of the meteorite.
13. What is the name of the channel where the Rolvaag lowers its anchor during the recovery of the meteorite?
(a) Franklin Channel.
(b) Lincoln Channel.
(c) Elizabeth Channel.
(d) Jefferson Channel.
14. What role is Amira supposed to play while on the expedition?
(a) Glinn's assistant.
(b) McFarlane's secretary.
(c) Glinn's secretary.
(d) McFarlane's assistant.
15. What does Glinn provide in Chapter 23 to help christen the meteorite?
(c) Carbonated apple juice.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the profession of the man Vallenar interviews in Chapter 28?
2. What is the name of the meteorite that caused the falling out between McFarlane and Masangkay?
3. What unsettling thing does Vallenar do to the Rolvaag in Chapter 36?
4. What happens in Chapter 33 when Glinn orders the power stopped to all the jacks under the meteorite?
5. What was Glinn attempting to secure during his military career that caused the loss of his entire team, minus himself and Garza, as Amira tells it in Chapter 11?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)