|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 35, Glinn tells the team that the mass of the meteorite has been updated after the jack failure. What is the new estimated mass?
(a) Twenty-five hundred thousand tons.
(b) Twenty-five thousand tons.
(c) Twenty-five thousand pounds.
(d) Twenty-five hundred thousand pounds.
2. What does Rochefort manually release on the jacks in Chapter 34?
(a) The clasp connecting the jacks to the meteorite.
(b) The hydraulic valves.
(c) The power cables.
(d) The computer control.
3. What does McFarlane do to Masangkay's remains in Chapter 22?
(a) Leaves them exposed to the elements.
(b) Buries them.
(c) Gathers them together to take back to the ship.
(d) Covers them with rocks.
4. What is Nestor Masangkay looking for on Isla Desolacion?
(b) A meteorite.
5. What is an island of stability?
(a) A hypothetical group of elements high on the periodic table that are stable.
(b) A group of elements low on the periodic table that are stable.
(c) A floating island that will not tip.
(d) A ship that floats on the upper most layer of water.
6. Why does Vallenar dislike disposable razors as discussed in Chapter 28?
(a) Two blades are a waste when one is good enough. It is typical of American inventions.
(b) They do not shave closely enough.
(c) Two blades are not enough to give a good shave.
(d) They are cheap.
7. In Chapter 30, McFarlane says tests on a sample of the meteorite will reveal what properties?
(a) Physical, chemical, and electron configuration.
(b) Electrical and chemical only.
(c) Electron configuration, chemical, and atomic radius.
(d) Electrical, chemical, and physical.
8. In Chapter 39, what does the letter Vallenar reads tell him about the Rolvaag's mining expedition on Isla Desolacion?
(a) They are searching for silver.
(b) They are searching for oil.
(c) They are not mining for gas.
(d) They are not searching for gold.
9. What illness does Puppup claim killed his wife in Chapter 36?
(c) Chicken pox.
(d) The plague.
10. What does Amira suggest is off about the color of the meteorite, as she explains in Chapter 25?
(a) No meteorite in history has ever been that color.
(b) No known metal alloys can create such a color.
(c) It is paint put on the meteorite by jokesters.
(d) It is only a reflection of the soil around it.
11. What natural landmark marks the area where Masangkay made his camp?
(a) A huge oak tree.
(b) A valley in the snowfield.
(c) A large boulder.
(d) A small pine tree.
12. According to Amira in Chapter 41, what is the look?
(a) An expression as though mesmerized workers get when they see the meteorite.
(b) An expression of fear when the storm is mentioned.
(c) An expression of excitment when the meteorite is mentioned.
(d) An expression of sickness when the Rolvaag is mentioned.
13. What does Lloyd want to call the meteorite?
(a) Rolvaag meteorite.
(b) Chilean meteorite.
(c) Lloyd meteorite.
(d) Desolation meteorite.
14. What is Brambell doing in Chapter 32 that he is forced to put aside to conduct the examination of Masangkay's remains?
(d) Watching television.
15. How does McFarlane believe the meteorite's arrival on the island impacted the topography of the island?
(a) It destroyed the volcano.
(b) It created the volcano.
(c) It landed during an eruption, causing its unique color.
(d) It caused a volcanic eruption.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 36, Puppup claims to have inherited the remaining treasures of the Yaghan Indians. What does he say he did with it?
2. What unsettling thing does Vallenar do to the Rolvaag in Chapter 36?
3. What state does the meteorite become when it reaches its melting point?
4. In Chapter 9, what author does Britton quote before she leaves Glinn?
5. What does Masangkay find using his electromagnetic tomographic sounder?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)