|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a dead man switch?
(a) A switch to sink the ship should their mission be discovered.
(b) A switch to cut power to the bridge in an emergency.
(c) A switch to remove casualties of an accident quickly.
(d) A ejection switch to quickly remove the meteorite in an emergency.
2. What is the melting point of the meteorite?
(a) One point two million degrees Kelvin.
(b) One point two thousand degrees Kelvin.
(c) One point two hundred degrees Kelvin.
(d) One point two degrees Kelvin.
3. In Chapter 42, what covers the sounds of Timmer's approach as he infiltrates the perimeter of the staging area?
(a) Music from the staging area.
(b) An impending storm.
(c) Sand on the ground.
(d) Voices in the staging area.
4. In Chapter 30, McFarlane says tests on a sample of the meteorite will reveal what properties?
(a) Electrical, chemical, and physical.
(b) Electrical and chemical only.
(c) Electron configuration, chemical, and atomic radius.
(d) Physical, chemical, and electron configuration.
5. What is an electromagnetic tomographic sounder?
(a) A machine used to see underneath the earth without digging.
(b) A machine used to measure earthquakes.
(c) A machine used to dig in isolated areas.
(d) A machine used to find magnetic activity under the groun.
6. What happens in Chapter 33 when Glinn has the power to the hydraulic jacks brought up to seventy percent?
(b) The meteorite rises six centimeters.
(c) The meteorite moves too quickly.
(d) The meteorite tips over.
7. Who is the author of the story mentioned in Chapter 12, 'Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket'?
(a) Stephen King.
(b) T.S. Eliot.
(c) Edgar Allen Poe.
(d) Stephen Crane.
8. How much does Glinn say it will cost to determine if EES can recover the meteorite from Isla Desolacion in Chapter 7?
(a) One hundred thousand dollars.
(b) One million dollars.
(c) One hundred dollars.
(d) One thousand dollars.
9. Why does Glinn tell Britton in Chapter 18 that they should not worry about Vallenar?
(a) He has no authority over them.
(b) He is just a crazy old man.
(c) No one believed him.
(d) No one respects him enough to care about his opinion.
10. What is McFarlane's pet theory that is revealed in Chapter 25?
(a) Intergalaxy meteorites.
(b) Meteorites buried so long they absorbe the color of the earth around them.
(c) Interstellar meteorites.
(d) Meteorites created by colliding stars.
11. In Chapter 36, Glinn claims his great-great-great grandfather kidnapped what relative of Puppup's?
(a) His great-great-great grandfather.
(b) His great-great-great aunt.
(c) His great-great-great uncle.
(d) His great-great-great grandmother.
12. How much does Glinn tell Lloyd he will charge to complete the recovery of the meteorite from the Isla Desolacion in Chapter 8?
(a) One hundred fifty million dollars.
(b) Three hundred fifty million dollars.
(c) Three hundred million dollars.
(d) One hundred million dollars.
13. What is the weather like in Chapter 1 as Masangkay unearths part of his find?
14. What type of ship has Glinn purchased for the recovery of the meteorite?
(a) A cruise ship.
(b) A military destroyer.
(c) A aircraft carrier.
(d) An oil tanker.
15. Why does Palmer Lloyd go to the Kalahari Desert to see Sam McFarlane in Chapter 4?
(a) To ask him to to ask Masangkay to sell Lloyd his latest discovery.
(b) To ask him to finish Masangkay's expedition.
(c) To ask him to head his new science museum.
(d) To ask him to organize an expedition to recover a meteorite.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Wilson Atcitty find a large bone protruding from a sandstone wall as described in Chapter 3?
2. What does Amira suggest is off about the color of the meteorite, as she explains in Chapter 25?
3. What is Christie's, the setting of Chapter 3?
4. Who does Puppup believe is responsible for the deaths of Evans, Rochefort, and Masangkay?
5. What is the name of the Thomas Cole painting Palmer Lloyd loves the most of all his rare and valuable belongings, as described in Chapter 5?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)