|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Wilson Atcitty find a large bone protruding from a sandstone wall as described in Chapter 3?
(a) On the border of California and Mexico.
(b) In Chile.
(c) In Alaska.
(d) On the Arizona-New Mexico border.
2. What is the 'night lunch' mentioned in Chapter 11?
(a) McFarlane's nickname for a brief flirtation.
(b) The first meal upon the Rolvaag.
(c) A routine snack sailors partake in.
(d) A celebrated meal when a ship crosses the date line.
3. What is an island of stability?
(a) A ship that floats on the upper most layer of water.
(b) A floating island that will not tip.
(c) A group of elements low on the periodic table that are stable.
(d) A hypothetical group of elements high on the periodic table that are stable.
4. What is McFarlane's pet theory that is revealed in Chapter 25?
(a) Intergalaxy meteorites.
(b) Meteorites buried so long they absorbe the color of the earth around them.
(c) Meteorites created by colliding stars.
(d) Interstellar meteorites.
5. In Chapter 41, what does Garza call the plan that they intend to use to move the meteorite from the staging site to the bluffs above the Rolvaag?
(a) Cut and cover.
(b) Cover and run.
(c) Run and hide.
(d) Hide and dash.
6. What does Rochefort manually release on the jacks in Chapter 34?
(a) The power cables.
(b) The clasp connecting the jacks to the meteorite.
(c) The computer control.
(d) The hydraulic valves.
7. In Chapter 31, McFarlane claims the meteorite is like what element?
(a) Transition elements.
(c) Alkali metals.
(d) Noble gas.
8. What does McFarlane want to call the meteorite?
(a) McFarlane meteorite.
(b) EES meteorite.
(c) MasanFarlane meteorite.
(d) Masangkay meteorite.
9. Where does Amira tell McFarlane that Glinn earned his military experience?
10. In Chapter 39, what does the letter Vallenar reads tell him about the Rolvaag's mining expedition on Isla Desolacion?
(a) They are searching for silver.
(b) They are not mining for gas.
(c) They are searching for oil.
(d) They are not searching for gold.
11. What does Masangkay find using his electromagnetic tomographic sounder?
(a) A meteorite.
12. What type of bit do Amira and McFarlane attempt to drill the meteorite with?
(a) An iron bit.
(b) A glass bit.
(c) A steel bit.
(d) A diamond bit.
13. In Chapter 35, Glinn tells the team that the mass of the meteorite has been updated after the jack failure. What is the new estimated mass?
(a) Twenty-five hundred thousand pounds.
(b) Twenty-five hundred thousand tons.
(c) Twenty-five thousand pounds.
(d) Twenty-five thousand tons.
14. Who does Glinn reveal has the only key to the dead man switch in Chapter 13?
(a) Glinn, Rochefort, and Garza.
(b) Glinn, McFarlane, and Howell.
(c) Glinn, Lloyd, and Britton.
(d) Glinn, McFarlane, and Amira.
15. In Chapter 39, who does Vallenar wish to interrogate about the actions of the Americans on the Rolvaag?
(b) The custom officials.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the profession of the man Vallenar interviews in Chapter 28?
2. What is Christie's, the setting of Chapter 3?
3. What does Amira claim uses more calories than jogging?
4. In Chapter 36, Glinn claims his great-great-great grandfather kidnapped what relative of Puppup's?
5. What does Amira suggest is off about the color of the meteorite, as she explains in Chapter 25?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)