|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Puppup believe is responsible for the deaths of Evans, Rochefort, and Masangkay?
2. How big does Garza believe the meteorite is as discussed in Chapter 31?
(a) Ten feet in diameter.
(b) Four feet in diameter.
(c) Forty-two feet in diameter.
(d) Twenty feet in diameter.
3. What is the name of the meteorite that caused the falling out between McFarlane and Masangkay?
(a) Tornarssuk Meteorite.
(b) MasanFarlane Meteorite.
(c) Monty's Meteorite.
(d) Chilean Meteorite.
4. What is Isla Desolacion?
(a) An island off the coast of Chile.
(b) An island off the coast of Brazil.
(c) An island off the coast of Mexico.
(d) An island off the coast of Peru.
5. What happens in Chapter 33 when Glinn orders the power stopped to all the jacks under the meteorite?
(a) The jacks fall too quickly.
(b) The jacks fail.
(c) The jacks drop the meteorite.
(d) The jacks lock up.
6. In Chapter 28, how does Vallenar force the man he is interviewing to tell him the truth?
(a) He cuts off his fingernail.
(b) He threatens to have him arrested.
(c) He promises a large payment.
(d) He beats him up.
7. What was Glinn attempting to secure during his military career that caused the loss of his entire team, minus himself and Garza, as Amira tells it in Chapter 11?
(a) A hill.
(b) A village.
(c) A military camp.
(d) A bridge.
8. What is an electromagnetic tomographic sounder?
(a) A machine used to see underneath the earth without digging.
(b) A machine used to dig in isolated areas.
(c) A machine used to measure earthquakes.
(d) A machine used to find magnetic activity under the groun.
9. How much does Glinn tell Lloyd he will charge to complete the recovery of the meteorite from the Isla Desolacion in Chapter 8?
(a) Three hundred fifty million dollars.
(b) Three hundred million dollars.
(c) One hundred million dollars.
(d) One hundred fifty million dollars.
10. What is an island of stability?
(a) A hypothetical group of elements high on the periodic table that are stable.
(b) A floating island that will not tip.
(c) A group of elements low on the periodic table that are stable.
(d) A ship that floats on the upper most layer of water.
11. How much does Garza believe the meteorite weighs as discussed in Chapter 31?
(a) Ten thousand tons.
(b) Ten thousand ounces.
(c) Ten thousand pounds.
(d) Ten hundred thousand tons.
12. What role is Amira supposed to play while on the expedition?
(a) Glinn's assistant.
(b) Glinn's secretary.
(c) McFarlane's secretary.
(d) McFarlane's assistant.
13. In Chapter 41, what does Garza call the plan that they intend to use to move the meteorite from the staging site to the bluffs above the Rolvaag?
(a) Cut and cover.
(b) Hide and dash.
(c) Run and hide.
(d) Cover and run.
14. What is McFarlane's pet theory that is revealed in Chapter 25?
(a) Interstellar meteorites.
(b) Meteorites buried so long they absorbe the color of the earth around them.
(c) Intergalaxy meteorites.
(d) Meteorites created by colliding stars.
15. What state does the meteorite become when it reaches its melting point?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the 'night lunch' mentioned in Chapter 11?
2. Why does Masangkay touch his find in Chapter 1?
3. What does Amira suggest is off about the color of the meteorite, as she explains in Chapter 25?
4. Who does McFarlane and Amira see jogging in foul weather on the deck of the Rolvaag in Chapter 20?
5. In Chapter 42, what damage to the cart beneath the meteorite makes McFarlane believe the disturbance was an electrical arc rather than a bomb?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)