|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What emotion had a taste of bitterness?
2. What does Holly reveal to the kidnapper and Mitch?
3. How old was the child when she died?
4. What does Holly think of when the man asks her if there is anything she needs?
5. Who had Mitch come face-to-face with as he pulled out of Anson's garage?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mitch do to Anson?
2. How does Holly feel about the items taken from the child's grave?
3. Why did Anson tell Mitch the kind of work he was involved in with Julian Campbell?
4. What did Mitch's vows mean to him?
5. At what point did Mitch feel close to Holly, and how was he affected by this?
6. Why doesn't Holly want to use the bedpan?
7. What had happened to Mitch's parents?
8. What sign did the kidnapper see above the girls and what did he perceive it to mean?
9. What did Holly end up doing and what was the hardest part of accomplishing her task?
10. How was money not an object for Thomas Turnbridge? What did he do with the money?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the crimes Mitch commits throughout the novel, and the fact that he doesn't get punished for them by the end of the novel. Is this a fitting ending in light of the circumstances? Why or why not? Discuss the amount of prison time he would get if he only got charged on one felony that he committed, and decide whether or not it is realistic that Mitch didn't serve time for his crimes.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Daniel and Kathy's parenting techniques. What kinds of techniques did they engage in that would be considered not only cruel but also child abuse? Did they have a good reason for this treatment? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Holly's fears of being kissed or touched by Jimmy. Why did she fear the contact so much? How was it likely that she would react to such contact? What brought Holly through her fears?
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)