|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to Julian Campbell?
2. What did Mitch do with the body of John Knox?
3. What won't Mitch do?
4. Why doesn't Holly want to put the nail in her pants pocket?
5. Who did Mitch believe initially the man that was peering into the Honda worked for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why would no one driving past Mitch fail to give him special scrutiny?
2. What was the chair they had built for Anthony in memory of?
3. Why does Mitch look at his hands, and what does he expect to see?
4. What had happened to Mitch's parents?
5. Why did Anson tell Mitch the kind of work he was involved in with Julian Campbell?
6. What does Mitch do to Anson?
7. How does Holly feel about the items taken from the child's grave?
8. What did Holly represent to Mitch?
9. Why couldn't Holly be too interested in what the kidnapper that she didn't like had to say?
10. Why did Mitch not invite his parents to the wedding?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Julian Campbell and Anson. What kinds of things do the two men have in common? What sets them apart? Which character is more evil and why?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the deterioration of Mitch's innocence from the beginning of the book through to the end. What pivotal points illustrate the fall, and how could Mitch be described regarding his life outlook both before and after the kidnapping?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the crimes Mitch commits throughout the novel, and the fact that he doesn't get punished for them by the end of the novel. Is this a fitting ending in light of the circumstances? Why or why not? Discuss the amount of prison time he would get if he only got charged on one felony that he committed, and decide whether or not it is realistic that Mitch didn't serve time for his crimes.
This section contains 1,011 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)