|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Mitch see in Anson's eyes?
2. What hadn't Holly done that caused Mitch to think something was wrong?
3. Who fired a round?
4. How much money did Mitch find in cash and bonds?
5. Where is the floor safe?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Holly feel when she was eating the chocolate bar, and why was this?
2. What does Holly fear that her captor might do while they are confined in the dark, and why does she fear this so?
3. What was the chair they had built for Anthony in memory of?
4. What did Mitch do to Taggart and why did he do it?
5. At what point did Mitch feel close to Holly, and how was he affected by this?
6. How does Holly feel about the items taken from the child's grave?
7. Why couldn't Holly put the nail in her pocket or in her shoe?
8. What sign did the kidnapper see above the girls and what did he perceive it to mean?
9. Why doesn't Holly want to use the bedpan?
10. What had happened to Mitch's parents?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Anson's betrayal of Mitch. How did Koontz set the reader up to take this information, and how did the reader react to Anson's order of the hit on Mitch? What specific things led the reader to seriously believe Mitch was going to gain some aid from his brother?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the deterioration of Mitch's innocence from the beginning of the book through to the end. What pivotal points illustrate the fall, and how could Mitch be described regarding his life outlook both before and after the kidnapping?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Jimmy Null's fascination with objects that contain "soul" power? What does Null believe these objects are capable of? Why does he go to such great lengths to connect them? What connection do these objects have with seeking?
This section contains 932 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)