|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much was in the wallet?
2. What time was it when Mitch left the house?
3. What did Mitch resist the urge to do?
4. At what age did the Rafferty children stop calling their parents 'mom and dad'?
5. How much money was actually available for the ransom?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Anson different in the physical characteristics of Mitch?
2. What comparison does the kidnapper make in regards to Mitch?
3. How did the strange kidnapper relate what he would do to Holly?
4. How did Anson rationalize meeting up with the ex-FBI agent, Julian Campbell?
5. What interested Lieutenant Taggart regarding Mitch's behavior?
6. Why did Mitch know he had to be careful in his movement while he was laying down in the trunk of the car?
7. Why did the expression on Anson's face following the discussion with the kidnappers hearten Mitch?
8. How did the stacks of boxes create a fortuitous event for Mitch?
9. Why doesn't Anson live more in his means?
10. How did the kidnappers prove that they were serious about what they intended to do to Mrs. Rafferty if Mitch didn't pay up?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Holly and Mitch's relationship. How does Mitch prove his feelings for his wife throughout the book? What might he have done had he not had such strong love for her? At how many points throughout the novel would it have been easier to give up?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Mitch's exploitation of Anson's dreams. How does Mitch get Anson to reveal where the money is? What about the money on the yacht? When Mitch does this, what other character does he seem to learn from?
Essay Topic 3
What did Jimmy Null mean when he asked Holly if she was a seeker? What was the point of the stories? Speculate on what he would have offered Holly had she said yes to the option of transcendence.
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)