|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much was in the wallet?
2. What had their parents done to Anson that they hadn't managed to do to Mitch?
3. What insect stayed close to Mitch while he was being questioned?
4. How was Jason connected to the plot line?
5. How did the kidnappers get Holly's blood?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Anson different in the physical characteristics of Mitch?
2. What promise does Holly attempt to make Mitch vow to her?
3. Why doesn't Anson live more in his means?
4. Why did the knowledge that Holly wouldn't be raped come as a comfort to Mitch? What two reasons does he come up with for the abductors reassurance?
5. How did the strange kidnapper relate what he would do to Holly?
6. What comparison does the kidnapper make in regards to Mitch?
7. Why did Mitch have to call the cops regarding the death of the dog walker, and what couldn't he tell them?
8. How did the stacks of boxes create a fortuitous event for Mitch?
9. How did the loft in the garage offer easy places for someone to hide?
10. Why was Mitch's choice of physiological ailments his wife could have suffered to render her immobile a poor choice on retrospection?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the two mansions in this book. What reason might Koontz have had for the two mansions? Explain their appearances in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Daniel and Kathy's parenting techniques. What kinds of techniques did they engage in that would be considered not only cruel but also child abuse? Did they have a good reason for this treatment? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the deterioration of Mitch's innocence from the beginning of the book through to the end. What pivotal points illustrate the fall, and how could Mitch be described regarding his life outlook both before and after the kidnapping?
This section contains 943 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)