|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Anson react to the news that he would be liquidated?
2. How much did Mitch weigh?
3. Who was Anson talking to?
4. Why did Mitch leave the night-flyer alone?
5. How did the kidnappers get Holly's blood?
Short Essay Questions
1. How much could Mitch actually ransom Holly for, and how did this make him feel?
2. What did the amount of money that Anson had secured mean to him? Why would he give it up?
3. What interested Lieutenant Taggart regarding Mitch's behavior?
4. How was Anson different in the physical characteristics of Mitch?
5. Why did Mitch have to call the cops regarding the death of the dog walker, and what couldn't he tell them?
6. Why did Mitch know he had to be careful in his movement while he was laying down in the trunk of the car?
7. Why was it likely the killer had returned to the car?
8. Why doesn't Anson live more in his means?
9. Why did the kidnappers want to involve Anson and not Iggy? What did the kidnappers say they would do to convince Anson to help Mitch?
10. Why did the knowledge that Holly wouldn't be raped come as a comfort to Mitch? What two reasons does he come up with for the abductors reassurance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Mitch and Iggy's views on marriage. Which character's view do you most identify with and why? Who makes the more convincing argument, and what specific points lend strength to it?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Holly and Mitch's relationship. How does Mitch prove his feelings for his wife throughout the book? What might he have done had he not had such strong love for her? At how many points throughout the novel would it have been easier to give up?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Daniel and Kathy's parenting techniques. What kinds of techniques did they engage in that would be considered not only cruel but also child abuse? Did they have a good reason for this treatment? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,069 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)