|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many ships does Aubrey take with his as he heads to meet with the potentates?
2. Why does Harte give Aubrey the mission of meeting with the potentates?
3. What allows the French to break through the blockade?
4. How does Ismail feel about Sciahan?
5. What is important for Aubrey to know about the potentates he will be meeting with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Aubrey think of Sciahan Bey?
2. Why does Thornton turn his command over to Harte?
3. How does Aubrey feel when the Worcester is declared as unseawothy?
4. How are the French able to break through the blockade?
5. Why does Graham opt for a long negotiation in the Ionian Region?
6. What kind of illness does Aubrey battle while Maturin is away?
7. Why is is so hard for Aubrey to make an agreement with Sciahan at first?
8. What daring move does Aubrey make to defeat Mustapha at the end of the book?
9. What does Aubrey hope to do when he gets to Mahon early?
10. What does Maturin do at the clandestine meeting, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do people respond to the optimism of Martin, and what are their reasons for this?
Essay Topic 2
Patrick O'Brian presents the idea that there are two sides to every man. Choose three of the characters from the book and write about their dual natures and how this duality affected the characters around them.
Essay Topic 3
Where is comic relief present in the book, and how did these instances affect the main characters in the book?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)