|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who picks the first potentate to meet with?
2. What is most harmful to the Worcester while on blockade duty?
3. What does Aubrey forbid his men to do when entering the harbor where the French are anchored?
4. How does Davis view being under Aubrey's command?
5. Who disagrees with Aubrey about Mustapha?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Aubrey think of Sciahan Bey?
2. How does Aubrey feel when the Worcester is declared as unseawothy?
3. Why is Aubrey so disappointed when the leaves the harbor where the French Consort was anchored?
4. What does Aubrey hope to do when he gets to Mahon early?
5. Why does Aubrey refuse to fire on the French ship anchored in the harbor?
6. What does Aubrey think of Ismail Bey?
7. What does Aubrey do to try and save the sinking Worcester?
8. Why does Harte give Aubrey the mission he does when he first takes command of the blockade?
9. What news does Harte bring to Aubrey?
10. Why does Thornton turn his command over to Harte?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many characters in this book are forced to sacrifice much in order to obtain their goals. Who are some of these characters, and how did their sacrifices affect the other characters around them? Were these sacrifices worth the reward? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Symbolism is a very prevalent literary device used by Patrick O'Brian. What are some of these symbols, and how does their presence affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Harte was a minor character in this book who made a huge impact on the plot. How did he accomplish this, and how would the plot have been altered had he not been included in the story line?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)