|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Aubrey work to improve near Sciahan before the battles begin?
2. What is Aubrey to do after leaving the blockade?
3. Why does Graham think negotiations in the Ionian Region should be extensive?
4. What shatters the internal structure of the Worcester?
5. What ship is Aubrey given command of when Thornton heads for home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it so surprising that Aubrey is able to defeat Mustapha?
2. What does Aubrey think of Mustapha?
3. What destroys the Worcester in the end?
4. What does Aubrey do while he waits for the ship of powder to arrive?
5. How does Davis feel about Aubrey, and why?
6. What causes the delay of the powder promised to Sciahan?
7. How are the French able to break through the blockade?
8. Why does Graham opt for a long negotiation in the Ionian Region?
9. What does Aubrey like about Davis?
10. What news does Harte bring to Aubrey?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is strange about the relationship between Maturin and his wife, and what bearing does this have on his career?
Essay Topic 2
Human nature is a strong symbol and theme in this book. Where does this symbol appear, and what role does it play in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Fear is a major motivating factor for a number of characters in this book. Which characters are most affected by this, and what are some of the different ways this fear is manifested?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)