|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Thornton choose to go home after the conflict at the blockade?
2. Who picks the first potentate to meet with?
3. How many guns are on the Kitabi?
4. What does Aubrey do to the bottom of the sinking Worcester?
5. Why does Harte give Aubrey the mission of meeting with the potentates?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Aubrey so disappointed when the leaves the harbor where the French Consort was anchored?
2. Why is is so hard for Aubrey to make an agreement with Sciahan at first?
3. What destroys the Worcester in the end?
4. What is Aubrey's first mission on his new ship?
5. How are the French able to break through the blockade?
6. What is the political climate like in the Ionian Region at this time?
7. Why is it so surprising that Aubrey is able to defeat Mustapha?
8. What does Aubrey do while he waits for the ship of powder to arrive?
9. How does Davis feel about Aubrey, and why?
10. Why does Harte give Aubrey the mission he does when he first takes command of the blockade?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There were many characters in this book who were manipulated and persuaded to do things they did not want to do. What were some of these instances, and how were those characters affected by the manipulation?
Essay Topic 2
Fear is a major motivating factor for a number of characters in this book. Which characters are most affected by this, and what are some of the different ways this fear is manifested?
Essay Topic 3
Where is comic relief present in the book, and how did these instances affect the main characters in the book?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)