|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did things not go as expected for Aubrey when he went into the harbor with the French consort?
2. What is most harmful to the Worcester while on blockade duty?
3. Who does Thornton give his command to when he goes home?
4. Who owns the Kitabi?
5. What do the newcomers on the boat say about Aubrey when he leaves the harbor with the French consort?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of illness does Aubrey battle while Maturin is away?
2. Why does Graham opt for a long negotiation in the Ionian Region?
3. How does Davis feel about Aubrey, and why?
4. What does Aubrey think of Ismail Bey?
5. How are the French able to break through the blockade?
6. What is Aubrey's first mission on his new ship?
7. What news does Harte bring to Aubrey?
8. What does Aubrey think of Mustapha?
9. Why does Aubrey refuse to fire on the French ship anchored in the harbor?
10. What does Aubrey hope to do when he gets to Mahon early?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What caused Thornton to retire, and what were the reactions to this decision?
Essay Topic 2
Why was the inclusion of the theme of loneliness so ironic for this book, and what came of the loneliness felt by the main characters in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Human nature is a strong symbol and theme in this book. Where does this symbol appear, and what role does it play in the book?
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)