|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Maturin supposed to meet with at the clandestine rendezvous?
2. What is Davis very skilled in?
3. Who tells Aubrey of Mustapha's rebellion?
4. What does the narrator say is the better part of valor?
5. How does Aubrey know Mercedes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Aubrey like about Davis?
2. What competition is held on Aubrey's new ship, and who wins?
3. What does Aubrey think of Mustapha?
4. What is Aubrey's first mission on his new ship?
5. Why does Harte give Aubrey the mission he does when he first takes command of the blockade?
6. Why is Aubrey so disappointed when the leaves the harbor where the French Consort was anchored?
7. What does Aubrey do while he waits for the ship of powder to arrive?
8. How does Davis feel about Aubrey, and why?
9. Why is is so hard for Aubrey to make an agreement with Sciahan at first?
10. What does Mustapha do when he hears Aubrey has aligned himself with Sciahan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many characters in this book are forced to sacrifice much in order to obtain their goals. Who are some of these characters, and how did their sacrifices affect the other characters around them? Were these sacrifices worth the reward? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
How were the three Ionian leaders different from each other, and how did these differences affect Aubrey's decision in that area?
Essay Topic 3
War is a major theme in this book. Where does this theme appear, and what effects does the inclusion of this theme have on the tone and message of the book?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)