|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Maturin live away from his wife when he is in town?
2. What is Mowett's title in the Navy?
3. Why does Aubrey like Latham's ship so much?
4. Who orders the crew to leave the birds alone?
5. What hits Maturin on the head?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Aubrey so worried about Thornton's health?
2. What do Aubrey and Maturin discuss about music?
3. Why does Thornton choose to focus so much on the Ionian region?
4. Why does Aubrey avoid Maturin when he first comes aboard the ship?
5. How does Martin convince people to not hurt the birds?
6. What happens when a strong wind blows birds over the ship?
7. What format is Chapter 4 set up in?
8. What is the Worcester's nickname, and why?
9. How is Maturin wounded?
10. What is Maturin's job?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fear is a major motivating factor for a number of characters in this book. Which characters are most affected by this, and what are some of the different ways this fear is manifested?
Essay Topic 2
What is strange about the relationship between Maturin and his wife, and what bearing does this have on his career?
Essay Topic 3
Where is comic relief present in the book, and how did these instances affect the main characters in the book?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)