|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Graham specifically educated about?
2. What have the birds eaten that might be dangerous to the crew?
3. What diminishes Martin's love for the Navy?
4. How does Aubrey describe his mission on the Worcester as part of his career?
5. What do the crew do when the birds land on the ship?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Worcester's nickname, and why?
2. How does Aubrey feel when Maturin is called to Spain, and why?
3. What happens when Maturin boards the Worcester?
4. What is strange about the practice runs done at sea with the cannons?
5. How does Martin convince people to not hurt the birds?
6. What happens when a strong wind blows birds over the ship?
7. What does Aubrey do for the ship that impresses his crew?
8. Why does Aubrey choose to captain the Worcester even though he doesn't want to?
9. What about Martin does Maturin not like, and what does he do about this?
10. What two events in this chapter cheer up Aubrey?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why was the inclusion of the theme of loneliness so ironic for this book, and what came of the loneliness felt by the main characters in the book?
Essay Topic 2
What caused Thornton to retire, and what were the reactions to this decision?
Essay Topic 3
Fear is a major motivating factor for a number of characters in this book. Which characters are most affected by this, and what are some of the different ways this fear is manifested?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)