|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maturin do for the Navy?
2. Why do the crew not want to deliver people to destinations?
3. What does Maturin say his wife does brilliantly?
4. Why does Aubrey not want to sail on the Worcester?
5. What does Aubrey do at the first stop the Worcester makes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Aubrey and Maturin discuss about music?
2. What causes the Jemmapes to flee from the altercation with the Worcester?
3. What about Martin does Maturin not like, and what does he do about this?
4. Why do the crewmen of the Worcester not want to transport Parsons?
5. What surprises Aubrey when he meets Thornton?
6. How does Aubrey feel when Maturin is called to Spain, and why?
7. What does Aubrey do for the ship that impresses his crew?
8. Please explain the relationship between Maturin and his wife.
9. What do Maturin and Martin have in common, and what do they do together?
10. Why does Aubrey get so excited when he sees Latham and his ship join the blockade?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do people respond to the optimism of Martin, and what are their reasons for this?
Essay Topic 2
How were the three Ionian leaders different from each other, and how did these differences affect Aubrey's decision in that area?
Essay Topic 3
The separation of classes is quite a significant theme in this book. What are these classes, and how does this separation affect the characters belonging to them?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)