|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Aubrey do at the first stop the Worcester makes?
2. What is Nathaniel Martin's job on the ship?
3. What forces the Worcester to leave the blockade?
4. What is Mitchell's title in the Navy?
5. What kind of birds flocks over the blockade?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Maturin wounded?
2. How does Martin convince people to not hurt the birds?
3. What does blockade duty entail?
4. What surprises Aubrey when he meets Thornton?
5. What format is Chapter 4 set up in?
6. What happens when Maturin boards the Worcester?
7. Why does Aubrey choose to captain the Worcester even though he doesn't want to?
8. Why is Maturin rarely at home?
9. Why does Aubrey get so excited when he sees Latham and his ship join the blockade?
10. How is Somers a danger to the whole ship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There were many characters in this book who were manipulated and persuaded to do things they did not want to do. What were some of these instances, and how were those characters affected by the manipulation?
Essay Topic 2
How does the setting of a ship affect the tone and action of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Human nature is a strong symbol and theme in this book. Where does this symbol appear, and what role does it play in the book?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)