|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Aubrey say the Navy does not stock their ships well with?
2. What is Aubrey's main personal problem?
3. Where is Maturin called away to?
4. What kind of birds flocks over the blockade?
5. What kind of people will the Worcester deliver to destinations?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Aubrey get so excited when he sees Latham and his ship join the blockade?
2. What does blockade duty entail?
3. What happens when Maturin boards the Worcester?
4. Why is Maturin rarely at home?
5. Why does Aubrey avoid Maturin when he first comes aboard the ship?
6. Why is Aubrey so worried about Thornton's health?
7. Please explain the relationship between Maturin and his wife.
8. Why does Aubrey choose to captain the Worcester even though he doesn't want to?
9. Why is a blockade duty so wearing on a ship and its crew?
10. What is Maturin's job?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Harte was a minor character in this book who made a huge impact on the plot. How did he accomplish this, and how would the plot have been altered had he not been included in the story line?
Essay Topic 2
How does the setting of a ship affect the tone and action of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Human nature is a strong symbol and theme in this book. Where does this symbol appear, and what role does it play in the book?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)