|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator describe Maturin?
2. What composer do Aubrey and Maturin discuss?
3. What causes the flock of birds to fly over the blockade?
4. Why do birds land on the ship?
5. What is Mowett's title in the Navy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What about Martin does Maturin not like, and what does he do about this?
2. What causes the Jemmapes to flee from the altercation with the Worcester?
3. What happens when Maturin boards the Worcester?
4. How does Martin convince people to not hurt the birds?
5. How do the crew feel about the Worcester, and why?
6. How does Aubrey feel when Maturin is called to Spain, and why?
7. How is Maturin wounded?
8. Why is Maturin excited to sail on the Worcester?
9. Why does Aubrey get so excited when he sees Latham and his ship join the blockade?
10. What two events in this chapter cheer up Aubrey?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is strange about the relationship between Maturin and his wife, and what bearing does this have on his career?
Essay Topic 2
How do people respond to the optimism of Martin, and what are their reasons for this?
Essay Topic 3
There were many characters in this book who were manipulated and persuaded to do things they did not want to do. What were some of these instances, and how were those characters affected by the manipulation?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)