|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Maturin's wife describe his habits?
2. What does the narrator say Graham is bereft of?
3. What do the officers gossip about while at the first stop?
4. Why is Aubrey so worried about Thornton's health?
5. What do the crew dislike most about the Worcester?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Maturin wounded?
2. What happens when a strong wind blows birds over the ship?
3. Why is Maturin rarely at home?
4. Why does Aubrey choose to captain the Worcester even though he doesn't want to?
5. What does blockade duty entail?
6. How do the crew feel about the Worcester, and why?
7. What two events in this chapter cheer up Aubrey?
8. Why is Maturin excited to sail on the Worcester?
9. What surprises Aubrey when he meets Thornton?
10. What does Aubrey do for the ship that impresses his crew?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the setting of a ship affect the tone and action of the book?
Essay Topic 2
How were the three Ionian leaders different from each other, and how did these differences affect Aubrey's decision in that area?
Essay Topic 3
What caused Thornton to retire, and what were the reactions to this decision?
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)