|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Aubrey delay setting sail on the Worcester?
(a) He is waiting for Maturin.
(b) He needs the all clear signal.
(c) He needs a favorable wind.
(d) He is waiting for his paper.
2. What is Mowett's title in the Navy?
(d) Second Lieutenant.
3. Where does the Worcester make her first stop?
(b) New Hampshire.
4. What forces the Worcester to leave the blockade?
(a) A battle.
(b) A storm.
(c) A funeral.
(d) A court ruling.
5. Why does Aubrey spend a small fortune of his own money on something for the ship?
(a) So they look the part.
(b) So he can sail according to Navy restrictions.
(c) So the crew can practice shooting.
(d) So he can rest easy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What hits Maturin on the head?
2. What does Thornton talk to Maturin about during their visit together?
3. What does Aubrey spend a small fortune on for the ship?
4. Where is Graham from?
5. Why do the officers on the Worcester dislike Maturin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Aubrey and Maturin discuss about music?
2. What does blockade duty entail?
3. Why is Maturin excited to sail on the Worcester?
4. What about Martin does Maturin not like, and what does he do about this?
5. What is the Worcester's nickname, and why?
6. What causes the Jemmapes to flee from the altercation with the Worcester?
7. What two events in this chapter cheer up Aubrey?
8. Why is Aubrey so worried about Thornton's health?
9. Why is a blockade duty so wearing on a ship and its crew?
10. How does Aubrey feel when Maturin is called to Spain, and why?
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)