|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the "old timers" on the ship say about Aubrey when he leaves the harbor with the French consort?
(a) He is too bold.
(b) He is following orders.
(c) He is a coward.
(d) He is insane.
2. What is Davis very skilled in?
(a) Charting courses.
(b) Getting around bureaucratics.
(d) Tying knots.
3. What kind of competition is held for the officers on Aubrey's new ship?
(a) Target shooting.
4. What is Thornton desperate for after his time on the blockade?
(a) Some combat.
(c) Word from his family.
(d) To be on land.
5. What happens when morale drops on the Worcester?
(a) Fighting starts.
(b) Disobedience flourishes.
(c) All of these.
(d) Sickness comes in.
6. What causes Mustapha to rebel against the Brittish?
(a) A new deal and offer from the French.
(b) The sight of the powder ships.
(c) A meeting with Harte.
(d) News that his offer was rejected.
7. Where does Aubrey take Maturin after leaving Mercedes?
(a) A safe harbor.
(b) A political meeting.
(c) The front lines.
(d) A bar.
8. Who disagrees with Aubrey about Mustapha?
9. What is important for Aubrey to know about the potentates he will be meeting with?
(a) They are leaning towards the French alliance.
(b) They are destitute.
(c) They are not intelligent.
(d) They hate each other.
10. What ship is Aubrey given command of when Thornton heads for home?
11. Why does Aubrey make a certain restriction when entering the harbor where the French are anchored?
(a) He knows he can't take them.
(b) It would put them behind schedule.
(c) He doesn't want to ruin the harbor's neutrality.
(d) It would ruin the plan.
12. What does Aubrey work to improve near Sciahan before the battles begin?
(a) A bridge.
(b) A dock.
(c) A harbor.
(d) A road.
13. What is different on every ship?
(a) The kind of wood.
(b) The ropes and knots.
(c) The sail mechanisms.
(d) The layout.
14. What does Aubrey forbid his men to do when entering the harbor where the French are anchored?
(a) Shine any lights.
(b) Make a sound.
(c) Fly their flag.
(d) Fire first.
15. What does Aubrey wrap the sinking hull with?
(b) A sail.
(c) Tar and gum.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Harte give Aubrey the mission of meeting with the potentates?
2. How many guns are on the Kitabi?
3. Why does Graham think negotiations in the Ionian Region should be extensive?
4. Why is Thornton angry with Aubrey when he returns to the blockade?
5. How does Aubrey describe Ismail Bey?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)