|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What effect does the TV have on the narrator’s pain?
2. What does the narrator say is the best way to get someone on your side?
3. How does Daniel Russell greet the narrator?
4. Where does the narrator follow Gulliver to, when he sees him during school hours?
5. How does the narrator characterize the pattern Riemann discovered for the first hundred thousand or so prime numbers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does the narrator meet in the cafeteria in the jail?
2. How does the narrator characterize his relationship with human music?
3. How does Haig characterize the marriage between Andrew and Isobel Martin?
4. How does the narrator ultimately get himself out of prison?
5. What happens to the narrator for the first time in his life when Isobel gives him a sandwich?
6. What is the narrator’s relationship with pain like?
7. What happens in the narrator’s interrogation by police?
8. How does the narrator characterize his relationship with his hosts, now that he is getting accustomed to Andrew Martin’s life?
9. What happens in the narrator’s interview with Andrew Martin’s wife Isobel?
10. Who are the narrator’s chief suspects for people who might know about Andrew Martin’s discovery?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Evaluate the ending of The Humans. Does it ring true to you? Does it successfully resolve the problems and tensions that preceded it? What would you change, if anything? What are you left wishing for closure on, if anything?
Essay Topic 2
What part of life on Earth corresponds most closely to life on the narrator’s home planet? Is Vonnadoria portrayed as a utopia or dystopia?
Essay Topic 3
How would The Humans be different if it were narrated by a female mathematician? How might the humor change? How might the moral vision change?
This section contains 956 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)