|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 3, pages 247-279.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What deos the narrator say is the chief purpose of magazines?
(a) To create a sense of inferiority in the reader.
(b) To supplement ethnographic research about how other people live.
(c) To provide political updates.
(d) To generate envy in poorer humans.
2. Why does the narrator hang up on Andrew Martin’s mother?
(a) Because there are no cosmic consequences if he does.
(b) Because he needs to talk to Gulliver about school.
(c) Because Isobel comes into the room with a question for him.
(d) Because he is afraid she will see that he is not her son.
3. What does Kierkegaard say a man must pass through, to arrive at the perfection of everything human?
(a) Hellish trials.
(b) The opposite of perfection.
(c) Refining visions.
(d) Otherworldly experiences.
4. Where does the narrator say that love stems from?
(a) The inevitability of death.
(b) The heat of desire.
(c) The possibility of pain.
(d) The depths of grief.
5. How does the narrator say he became human?
(a) By marrying reason to emotion.
(b) By betraying reason.
(c) By showing defiance.
(d) By showing discipline.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator excuse Gulliver’s violence?
2. What is the narrator’s response when he and Gulliver see the boy who bullied Gulliver?
3. Why does the narrator put his hand on the stove?
4. How does Maggie characterize the experience of being human?
5. How does the narrator characterize dogs?
This section contains 337 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)