|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Before Aunt Lupe’s illness, she used to enjoy what activity?
2. How much does Esperanza pay Elenita?
3. Who arrives in a yellow taxicab?
4. What does Sally do instead of run around with the other kids in the monkey garden?
5. Why does Esperanza go to the fortune-teller?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Esperanza’s father call Sire a punk?
2. How does the phrase “no speak English” take on two meanings at the end of this vignette?
3. How are Esperanza and Minerva similar?
4. Esperanza has her fortune told, and Elenita tells her that she sees a “home in the heart”. What could this mean for Esperanza’s future?
5. Who is Geraldo?
6. Why can’t Esperanza, her mother, and other neighbors and kids agree on what Earl’s “wife” looks like?
7. Why did Marin stay with him in the emergency room?
8. How has Esperanza begun her “own quiet war”?
9. Why isn’t Rafaela allowed to leave her apartment?
10. How does Esperanza’s perspective affect the information readers are given in this chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Esperanza’s mother had many dreams of her own. What prevented her from following those dreams? What does she want for Esperanza?
Essay Topic 2
Esperanza is very much a product of her environment, as many characters are in this book. How have environmental factors affected the characters? How does Esperanza want to change this?
Essay Topic 3
In many of the vignettes, Esperanza is spoken down to or mistreated because of how poor her family is and her Hispanic ethnicity. How does she respond to the condescension? Does she understand it is happening? If so, what actions of her are indicative of this?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)