|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Esperanza believe Mamacita won’t come down from her apartment?
2. What does Esperanza imagine Sally enjoys doing?
3. What is Esperanza’s mother’s advice for her?
4. Who doesn’t appreciate the trees?
5. Which adult likes to play with children?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Esperanza’s Aunt Lupe an important person to her?
2. What is Sally’s relationship like with her parents?
3. How does Esperanza’s perspective affect the information readers are given in this chapter?
4. Why isn’t Rafaela allowed to leave her apartment?
5. Who is Ruthie?
6. Why does Esperanza feel a special kinship with the trees outside her window?
7. Why does Esperanza believe Mamacita is sad?
8. How does Sally defy her parents?
9. Why does her Aunt Lupe tell her that writing will keep her free?
10. Why can’t Esperanza, her mother, and other neighbors and kids agree on what Earl’s “wife” looks like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Coming-of-age is a major theme in this book. Who comes of age in this book? What’s indicative of this?
Essay Topic 2
Esperanza’s mother had many dreams of her own. What prevented her from following those dreams? What does she want for Esperanza?
Essay Topic 3
Esperanza is very much a product of her environment, as many characters are in this book. How have environmental factors affected the characters? How does Esperanza want to change this?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)