|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ruthie walk around the neighborhood?
2. Who does Esperanza compare Rafaela to?
3. Where does Esperanza want her house?
4. What does Minerva already have?
5. What does Sally do instead of run around with the other kids in the monkey garden?
Short Essay Questions
1. Esperanza wants a nice house and wants to live on a hill, but she believes that she’ll be different than the others who do so. How does she believe that she will be different?
2. What is Esperanza hoping to hear when she has her fortune told?
3. What does it mean that both Esperanza is getting noticed by boys, and that she notices them watching her?
4. Why does Esperanza’s father call Sire a punk?
5. Why did Marin stay with him in the emergency room?
6. Why is Esperanza’s Aunt Lupe an important person to her?
7. Why can’t Esperanza, her mother, and other neighbors and kids agree on what Earl’s “wife” looks like?
8. What is Sally’s relationship like with her parents?
9. How does Sally defy her parents?
10. How are Esperanza and Minerva similar?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Toward the end of the book, Esperanza says this: "I have begun my own quiet war. Simple. Sure. I am one who leaves the table like a man, without putting back the chair or picking up the plate" (Chapter 35, pg. 89). How is this quote indicative of who Esperanza is currently, and who she will become?
Essay Topic 2
Sally, Esperanza’s friend, comes from a very strict religious family, but Sally rebels by dressing provocatively. What happens to Sally? How does Esperanza see this as a warning?
Essay Topic 3
Esperanza feels different than the other girls in the story. From the reader’s perspective, is she different? If so, how?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)