|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Rafaela’s husband afraid of?
(a) He is afraid that she will get lost.
(b) He is afraid that she will spend all of his money.
(c) He is afraid that she will run away because she is too beautiful to look at.
(d) He is afraid that she will go to the police for help.
2. Why does Esperanza find these trees so miraculous?
(a) They have massive branches.
(b) They have exquisite flowers.
(c) They are growing well in a patch of a neighborhood with little to sustain them.
(d) They are very tall.
3. What/who goes with Earl everywhere?
(a) His son.
(b) Two little black dogs.
(c) His red-tailed macaw.
(d) His wife.
4. What does Rafaela’s husband do on Tuesday nights?
(a) Play basketball.
(b) Play dominoes.
(c) Play poker.
(d) Visit the local saloon.
5. What does Minerva do after her children have gone to sleep?
(a) Drink wine.
(b) Write poems.
(d) Fight with her husband.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Earl live?
2. What happens to Esperanza while she is waiting for Sally?
3. Who arrives in a yellow taxicab?
4. What kind of place does Esperanza want to live in?
5. What does Sally do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the phrase “no speak English” take on two meanings at the end of this vignette?
2. Why is Esperanza’s Aunt Lupe an important person to her?
3. How are Esperanza and Minerva similar?
4. Who is Geraldo?
5. Who is Ruthie?
6. How does Esperanza’s perspective affect the information readers are given in this chapter?
7. How does Sally defy her parents?
8. How has Esperanza begun her “own quiet war”?
9. Why isn’t Rafaela allowed to leave her apartment?
10. Why did Marin stay with him in the emergency room?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)