|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the age difference between Minerva and Esperanza?
(a) Minerva is significantly younger than Esperanza.
(b) Minerva is a little bit older than Esperanza.
(c) Minerva is significantly older than Esperanza.
(d) Minerva is a little bit younger than Esperanza.
2. What bird does Esperanza compare Sally’s hair to?
(a) A dove.
(b) A peacock.
(c) An eagle.
(d) A raven.
3. Why does Esperanza find these trees so miraculous?
(a) They have exquisite flowers.
(b) They are very tall.
(c) They have massive branches.
(d) They are growing well in a patch of a neighborhood with little to sustain them.
4. What has Esperanza decided?
(a) “To leave Mango Street and never return.”
(b) “To not grow up tame like the others.”
(c) “To not have babies, ever.”
(d) “To grow large and fat.”
5. Before Aunt Lupe’s illness, she used to enjoy what activity?
(c) Jumping rope.
Short Answer Questions
1. What/who goes with Earl everywhere?
2. Who is the landlord of the apartment buildings?
3. How does Geraldo die?
4. Why doesn’t Esperanza want to drive to the nice neighborhoods on Sundays anymore?
5. Who does Esperanza notice watching her when she crosses the street?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has Esperanza begun her “own quiet war”?
2. What does it mean that both Esperanza is getting noticed by boys, and that she notices them watching her?
3. How does the phrase “no speak English” take on two meanings at the end of this vignette?
4. Why can’t Esperanza, her mother, and other neighbors and kids agree on what Earl’s “wife” looks like?
5. Why does Esperanza’s father call Sire a punk?
6. How does Sally defy her parents?
7. Why is Esperanza’s Aunt Lupe an important person to her?
8. Esperanza has her fortune told, and Elenita tells her that she sees a “home in the heart”. What could this mean for Esperanza’s future?
9. Why does Esperanza believe Mamacita is sad?
10. Who is Ruthie?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)