|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What/who goes with Earl everywhere?
(a) His wife.
(b) His red-tailed macaw.
(c) His son.
(d) Two little black dogs.
2. Who doesn’t appreciate the trees?
3. How has Esperanza “begun her own quiet war”?
(a) By befriending only girls.
(b) By refusing to do what her teachers tell her to do.
(c) By challenging gender expectations and roles.
(d) By defying her parents’ desires.
4. What, or whom, will she allow to live in her attic?
(d) Old ladies.
5. What isn’t Sally supposed to do due to her family’s religious beliefs?
(b) Show her hair.
(d) Eat pork.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the landlord of the apartment buildings?
2. Who arrives in a yellow taxicab?
3. What bird does Esperanza compare Sally’s hair to?
4. What does Rafaela ask the girls to buy her?
5. Where does she meet him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why isn’t Rafaela allowed to leave her apartment?
2. Who is Geraldo?
3. Why does Esperanza feel a special kinship with the trees outside her window?
4. How are Esperanza and Minerva similar?
5. Why does her Aunt Lupe tell her that writing will keep her free?
6. Who is Ruthie?
7. Why is Esperanza’s Aunt Lupe an important person to her?
8. Why can’t Esperanza, her mother, and other neighbors and kids agree on what Earl’s “wife” looks like?
9. Why did Marin stay with him in the emergency room?
10. How has Esperanza begun her “own quiet war”?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)