|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is NOT one thing Sebastian mentions that Meredith smells like?
2. Where is The Rash's first gig set to take place?
3. In return for the loan of the church's bass, what does Janice ask Sebastian to do for her?
4. How many times does Meredith say that Jared has been through a rejection episode with his new heart?
5. What is the only item Sebastian finds he can afford at the cafe he wanders into after Nana kicks him out of the house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jared reveal to Sebastian during the second youth group meeting as the real reason he has been struck ill?
2. What reason does Jared give Sebastian for why their band "needs to be awesome" (157)?
3. To whom does Sebastian hear Janice talking on the phone when he gets back to the Whitcombs' house after he and Meredith finish hanging gig posters?
4. What clues does the author provide during the photographer's visit to the dome that suggest the outcome will not be a positive one when the article comes out?
5. What is Jared's reaction to Sebastian catching Meredith when Sebastian catches her after her fall from the balance beam and why?
6. What is Sebastian's reaction to the realization that Nana has moved on with completing the geoscope project in his absence?
7. What does Sebastian realize about Buckminster Fuller's philosophy after he has his first sexual experience by touching Meredith's breast?
8. What reason does Jared cite when he tells Sebastian why he had stopped taking his medication?
9. How does Sebastian apply his understanding of sorting to his and Jared's efforts within the songwriting process?
10. What is the process of sorting according to Buckminster Fuller's philosophy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the ways in which the philosophies of Buckminster Fuller have had a positive effect on Sebastian's character and behaviors. What is the author's purpose in pointing out the positive aspects of Buckminster Fuller's restrictive philosophies?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the relationship between Jared and Janice. In what ways is this mother-son relationship dysfunctional and what does the author appear to suggest as the key to making a dysfunctional relationship into a healthier one?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the novel's theme depicting health problems as a means of self-discovery.
This section contains 1,061 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)