|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What chord does Jared tell Sebastian is the best guitar chord of all?
2. Sebastian says that when he was young, Nana would tell him that they lived inside what kind of object?
3. One of Buckminster Fuller's guiding principles by which Sebastian and Nana live says, "Every day I will give myself wholly to" (7) what?
4. When Nana opens her eyes and speaks to Sebastian just before he leaves the hospital the day of her stroke, what does she say?
5. When Sebastian first decides to disobey Nana by learning about punk rock music online, what subject does he continue to study across the room between web searches?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Nana say she discovers during a vision she has while Jared has been secretly visiting Jared for the first time?
2. What is the significance of Buckminster Fuller's suicide attempt?
3. What does Sebastian say he used to require from Nana in order to be able to fall asleep and what is its significance?
4. What is the significance of the scene in which Jared shows his scar?
5. What does Sebastian notice affixed to Jared's Mp3 player when Janice is driving him away from the hospital and what does it signify?
6. How do Sebastian's train of simple postscripts in his emails to Jared intrigue and draw Jared in to a friendship?
7. What is the significance of the framed photographs of the dome that Nana and Sebastian sell in their gift shop?
8. How do Nana's first comments to Sebastian in the hospital foreshadow coming events?
9. What element of the pictures he finds of Sid Vicious does Sebastian find inspirational and encouraging?
10. What is the significance of Sebastian's online search for information about Sid Vicious?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the novel's message concerning vulnerability within the human condition?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author's use of foreshadowing within the novel and its interaction with the themes of prophecy and clairvoyance.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the many instances of irony within the novel's narrative and analyze the author's purpose for including each instance you discuss.
This section contains 1,110 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)