|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Clifford’s state of health?
(a) He has a contagious disease.
(b) He is old and frail.
(c) He is on death’s door.
(d) He is strong and vital.
2. Which of the following best describes the Maules?
(a) Hard working.
(d) They practiced witchcraft.
3. Who is later convicted of murdering the owner of the House?
(a) The owner's uncle.
(b) The owner's nephew.
(c) The owner's brother.
(d) The owner's father.
4. What street is the House of Seven Gables on?
(a) Salem Street.
(b) Maule Avenue.
(c) Hawthorne Boulevard.
(d) Pyncheon Street.
5. Who built the House of Seven Gables?
(a) Judge Pyncheon.
(b) Ned Higgins.
(c) Matthew Maule’s son.
(d) Hawthorne's grandfather.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened the day the Pyncheons moved into the House?
2. Whom does Phoebe meet in the garden?
3. What does Phoebe do for Hepzibah her first morning at the House?
4. What is unusual about the harpsichord at the House?
5. What story does the Judge tell Phoebe?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Phoebe and how does Hepzibah react to her arrival?
2. What were the Maules like as a family?
3. Describe some of the "eerie" qualities of the House.
4. Explain who Clifford is and describe his homecoming.
5. Describe how Phoebe comes to stay at the House.
6. After the Colonel's death, what happened to the Pyncheon family?
7. What does the Judge try to do?
8. Who is Hepzibah Pyncheon and why does she run a shop out of the house?
9. What do Hepzibah's feelings towards the Judge seem to be?
10. Describe Phoebe's first encounter with the Judge.
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)