|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 9-12.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who originally owned the land the House stands on?
(a) Nathaniel Hawthorne.
(b) Colonel Pyncheon.
(c) Matthew Maule.
2. What does Hepzibah decide about her surprise guest at the beginning of the novel?
(a) This person can only stay one night.
(b) This person is not being honest with her.
(c) This person can help her financially.
(d) This person is really a ghost.
3. What street is the House of Seven Gables on?
(a) Hawthorne Boulevard.
(b) Salem Street.
(c) Pyncheon Street.
(d) Maule Avenue.
4. What does the Judge want to do when he arrives at the House and is speaking with Phoebe for the first time?
(a) Talk to Clifford.
(b) Move into the house.
(c) Hire Holgrave.
(d) Take the portrait.
5. What does Phoebe discover Hepzibah doing one morning?
(a) Planting new seeds in the garden.
(b) Packing to move away.
(c) Digging through boxes in the attic.
(d) Preparing an elaborate meal.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following best describes the Maules?
2. What becomes of the cousin of the convicted murderer?
3. What does Holgrave suggest about the Judge?
4. Which of the following best describes Phoebe?
5. Why does Clifford want to hold the roses?
This section contains 257 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)