|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 9-12.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following best describes Phoebe?
(a) Mannered and aristocratic.
(b) Disciplined and religious.
(c) Fashionable and arrogant.
(d) Rustic and pretty.
2. What does Clifford disapprove of after visiting the arched windows?
(a) The time Phoebe spends with Holgrave.
(b) The unhappiness of the common people.
(c) The hypocrisy of the Judge.
(d) The way the world has changed.
3. At the story’s opening, how many members of the Pyncheon family are left living?
4. What initial impression does Phoebe have of the Judge?
(a) He is a good and decent man.
(b) He has a dark and hidden nature.
(c) He does not carry himself like a judge.
(d) He looks exactly like Clifford.
5. What is the legend about the well?
(a) That its waters have magical qualities.
(b) That Matthew Maule bewitched it.
(c) That Alice Pyncheon died in it.
(d) That a strange treasure is hidden in it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ned Higgins want to buy?
2. What is Hepzibah waiting for at the beginning of the novel?
3. What does Holgrave predict that people will stop doing?
4. Who comes to the shop window after Phoebe has visited the garden the first time?
5. What recent addition has been made to the House?
This section contains 259 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)