|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 5-8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Phoebe take charge of upon arriving at the House?
(a) Running the shop.
(b) Handling Hepzibah’s finances.
(c) Tending the garden.
(d) Maintaining the house.
2. What is Clifford’s state of health?
(a) He is old and frail.
(b) He is strong and vital.
(c) He has a contagious disease.
(d) He is on death’s door.
3. Which of the following best describes the Maules?
(c) They practiced witchcraft.
(d) Hard working.
4. What is done to the portrait of the Colonel for Clifford's benefit?
(a) It is covered with a cloth.
(b) It is given to Clifford.
(c) It is taken down.
(d) It is placed up for auction.
5. What is Hepzibah waiting for at the beginning of the novel?
(a) A delivery that was three days late.
(b) The arrival of someone very important to her.
(c) The flowers in the garden to bloom.
(d) Someone to make an offer to buy the House.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Judge want to do when he arrives at the House and is speaking with Phoebe for the first time?
2. Who built the House of Seven Gables?
3. Who arrives for a surprise visit at the House at the beginning of the novel?
4. What did Colonel Pyncheon do during Maule’s execution?
5. What does Hepzibah decide about her surprise guest at the beginning of the novel?
This section contains 303 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)