|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 1-4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hepzibah decide about her surprise guest at the beginning of the novel?
(a) This person is not being honest with her.
(b) This person is really a ghost.
(c) This person can help her financially.
(d) This person can only stay one night.
2. Who is later convicted of murdering the owner of the House?
(a) The owner's uncle.
(b) The owner's brother.
(c) The owner's father.
(d) The owner's nephew.
3. What is Hepzibah waiting for at the beginning of the novel?
(a) A delivery that was three days late.
(b) The flowers in the garden to bloom.
(c) The arrival of someone very important to her.
(d) Someone to make an offer to buy the House.
4. Why were the Maules considered outcasts?
(a) They lived outside of town.
(b) They spent too much time with the natives.
(c) They were rumored to practice witchcraft.
(d) They were habitual criminals.
5. Which of the following best describes the Maules?
(a) Hard working.
(c) They practiced witchcraft.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ned Higgins want to buy?
2. What does Hepzibah do after she opens the shop for the day at the beginning of the novel?
3. What is on the roof of the House?
4. Whose portrait hangs on the wall in the parlor of the House?
5. What does Holgrave try to do at the beginning of the novel?
This section contains 275 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)