|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 17-21.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Clifford react to Hepzibah’s welcome?
(a) He acts as if he is entitled to it.
(b) He fears it is a dream.
(c) He seems completely indifferent.
(d) He is shocked and surprised.
2. What does Clifford disapprove of after visiting the arched windows?
(a) The hypocrisy of the Judge.
(b) The way the world has changed.
(c) The unhappiness of the common people.
(d) The time Phoebe spends with Holgrave.
3. How do Clifford and Hepzibah leave town?
(a) By car.
(b) By horse.
(c) By train.
(d) By boat.
4. In what way does Maule hope that Alice can help him?
(a) By acting as a medium to talk to the dead.
(b) By spying on the rest of the Pyncheon family.
(c) By ending the long feud between the families.
(d) By helping Maule search the house.
5. What does the narrator reflect on about the Judge toward the end of the book?
(a) How all his attempts to convince Clifford to help him have failed.
(b) All the important things he is supposed to be doing.
(c) All the happiness he has missed out on in life.
(d) How all his hard work has finally paid off.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Clifford react every time he hears the train engines?
2. What does Phoebe do that cheers Clifford the most?
3. What is found in the secret compartment?
4. What is on the roof of the House?
5. What role does Phoebe take at the House?
This section contains 328 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)