|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Matt given as he is sent to San Luis?
2. What has Celia been giving Matt?
3. How does Jorge say he plans to stop Matt from being an aristocrat?
4. Who tells Matt he was harvested from a cow?
5. What does Raul compare individualism to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Matt notice about the nightly attacks on his character?
2. What is Fidelito doing in the cemetery when Matt finds him?
3. What causes Matt to collapse on the way to San Luis?
4. What surprising information about Maria does Matt learn while reading A History of Opium?
5. What does Tam Lin say is unique and dangerous about the secret passage?
6. How does Tam Lin act at Matt's coming of age party?
7. How does Tam Lin tell Matt to escape?
8. Why does Matt stay hidden after the wedding?
9. What causes a revolt of the boys on Jorge?
10. Why is El Patron not able to use Matt's heart?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Leadership is a very prominent theme in this book. Who are some of the main leaders in "The House of the Scorpion", and what makes them the true leaders? Is there more than one protagonist?
Essay Topic 2
Matt endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials, and what lessons does Matt learn through these experiences?
Essay Topic 3
The characters in this book all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the book and how this goal affected the characters around them.
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)