|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many lives does Celia say El Patron has had?
2. Why is a rumor spread that Matt is fleeing to the U.S.?
3. How are Consuela and Guapo related?
4. What does Consuela give Matt when she first meets him?
5. What does Flaco do while Matt attacks Jorge?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Matt stop himself from running away to the mountains after his coming of age party?
2. What does Matt notice about the nightly attacks on his character?
3. How does Matt say Maria could get out of her arranged marriage?
4. What does Tam Lin say is unique and dangerous about the secret passage?
5. What happens to Celia after El Patron's death?
6. Why do the Keepers call Matt an aristocrat?
7. How does Matt feel now that he is with the border patrol?
8. Why is Matt so sure that El Patron will never use him for spare parts like other clones are?
9. Why does Matt not run away when he hears the shrimp harvester coming?
10. When does Matt's tattoo get seen at the factory?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nancy Farmer has created some different kinds of humans in this book. What are some of these altered human forms, and how does their inclusion in this book shape the plot and the setting of the book?
Essay Topic 2
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 3
Why are so many people unable to accept Matt, and what does this indicate about the society this book takes place in?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)