|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many boys go with Matt to San Luis?
2. What job does the border patrol give Matt?
3. What does Matt store as he drifts among the groups in the border patrol?
4. What makes it hard for Matt to focus while Jorge is speaking?
5. What is given to Chacho when he gets out of the bone pit?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Matt strike up a friendship with Chacho and Fidelito?
2. What causes a revolt of the boys on Jorge?
3. What is Fidelito doing in the cemetery when Matt finds him?
4. Why does Matt not run away when he hears the shrimp harvester coming?
5. How does Matt feel now that he is with the border patrol?
6. What does Matt say about the talk with the 5 legged horse?
7. What is the talk with the 5 legged horse about?
8. Why do the Keepers call Matt an aristocrat?
9. When does Matt's tattoo get seen at the factory?
10. Why is Matt so sure that El Patron will never use him for spare parts like other clones are?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which character did you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How did this character change throughout the book?
Essay Topic 2
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 3
Chacho was a minor character whose presence made a big difference in the plot. How did he accomplish this? What are some ways that his presence- however brief, altered the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if Chacho had not been in the book at all?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)