|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the hospital Chacho is taken to?
2. What is given to Chacho when he gets out of the bone pit?
3. Why is Ton Ton given a special privilege?
4. What devastates Matt when Tam Lin says goodbye?
5. What does Raul compare individualism to?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Matt feel now that he is with the border patrol?
2. How does Tam Lin tell Matt to escape?
3. How does Jorge say Matt should clean his mind?
4. How does Tam Lin act at Matt's coming of age party?
5. When does Matt's tattoo get seen at the factory?
6. What causes Matt to finally admit something wrong about himself to Jorge?
7. What surprising information about Maria does Matt learn while reading A History of Opium?
8. What does Matt say is the biggest difference between humans and animals?
9. What is Fidelito doing in the cemetery when Matt finds him?
10. What happens to Celia after El Patron's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Leadership is a very prominent theme in this book. Who are some of the main leaders in "The House of the Scorpion", and what makes them the true leaders? Is there more than one protagonist?
Essay Topic 2
Matt endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials, and what lessons does Matt learn through these experiences?
Essay Topic 3
Chacho was a minor character whose presence made a big difference in the plot. How did he accomplish this? What are some ways that his presence- however brief, altered the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if Chacho had not been in the book at all?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)