|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the oasis?
2. Why do children discover Matt?
3. Why can't Matt go away to school?
4. What does Matt learn from?
5. What is Maria's gift to Matt?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rosa do while she helps Matt when he is injured at the beginning of the book?
2. What happened to Ton Ton's parents?
3. Why is Matt so sure that El Patron will never use him for spare parts like other clones are?
4. When does Matt's tattoo get seen at the factory?
5. What did the coyote do to Celia?
6. What does Tam Lin praise Matt's teacher for?
7. Who promises to save Matt from the Big House, and how does Matt respond to this?
8. What causes Matt to collapse on the way to San Luis?
9. How does Tam Lin act at Matt's coming of age party?
10. What does Matt do when Tom comes to taunt him after his first time in the Big House?
Essay Topic 1
The characters in this book all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the book and how this goal affected the characters around them.
Essay Topic 2
Competition and Fair-Play are themes found in many different scenes of this book. What are some of those scenes, and what affect did they have on the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the key examples of gratitude in this book, and how do these instances affect that characters involved in those scenes?
This section contains 1,184 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)