|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Maria show Matt that she forgives him?
2. What title does Mr. Mendoza hold?
3. What does Matt tell Maria about while he eats his food?
4. Why does Steven say Matt is different from others of his kind?
5. What does Rosa tell Matt not to do as she leads him across the courtyard?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Matt find the secret passage?
2. Why did El Patron decide to keep Celia?
3. What does Tam Lin praise Matt's teacher for?
4. What happens when Matt tries to meet Maria in the Lotus Garden?
5. How does Rosa treat Matt once the doctor leaves?
6. Where is Furball found when he goes missing before El Patron's birthday?
7. Why atrocity lies in Tam Lin's past?
8. What did the coyote do to Celia?
9. Why was Maria able to forgive Matt after the birthday party?
10. What does Celia tell Matt about the children at the Big House?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which character did you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How did this character change throughout the book?
Essay Topic 2
Why are so many people unable to accept Matt, and what does this indicate about the society this book takes place in?
Essay Topic 3
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)