|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Matt accused of when he meets with Maria after their experience at the hospital?
2. Why does Tam Lin say he left Matt something at the oasis?
3. What does Tam Lin like to teach Matt about?
4. Why can't Matt go away to school?
5. What title does Mr. Mendoza hold?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does El Patron tell Matt when they first meet?
2. What does Rosa do while she helps Matt when he is injured at the beginning of the book?
3. Why doesn't Matt try to make up with Maria right after the birthday party?
4. How does Matt get injured at the beginning of the book?
5. Why does Matt want to learn more about the opium empire?
6. What does Maria give Matt for El Patron's birthday?
7. What is Eduardo's job?
8. Why does Celia choose to tell Matt about her past?
9. What is Mrs. Ortega hired to do?
10. What does Tam Lin praise Matt's teacher for?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the characters touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 2
Which character did you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How did this character change throughout the book?
Essay Topic 3
Chacho was a minor character whose presence made a big difference in the plot. How did he accomplish this? What are some ways that his presence- however brief, altered the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if Chacho had not been in the book at all?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)