|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes Matt to go to the oasis alone?
2. Where did Celia learn to cook?
3. What is Willum's occupation?
4. What does Tam Lin leave at the oasis for Matt?
5. How does Matt get out of his house for the first time?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why atrocity lies in Tam Lin's past?
2. Why does Matt sometimes fake his cough?
3. What does Matt do before Maria leaves for school, and why?
4. How did Furball really die?
5. What does Steven tell his siblings about Matt?
6. Why doesn't Matt try to make up with Maria right after the birthday party?
7. How does Matt get injured at the beginning of the book?
8. What is Mrs. Ortega hired to do?
9. How does Rosa treat Matt once the doctor leaves?
10. What is Eduardo's job?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fear and Courage are two themes that seem to appear in tandem many times in this book. What are some of these instances, and why do they always appear together?
Essay Topic 2
Competition and Fair-Play are themes found in many different scenes of this book. What are some of those scenes, and what affect did they have on the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)