|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Matt feel when he sees Maria's gift to him?
2. Why does Steven say Matt is different from others of his kind?
3. What does Maria do with her gift for Matt?
4. Where is Celia's new apartment?
5. Who lives with Matt at the beginning of the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the coyote do to Celia?
2. What happens when Matt tries to meet Maria in the Lotus Garden?
3. What is Mrs. Ortega hired to do?
4. Why does Matt sometimes fake his cough?
5. What does Matt do before Maria leaves for school, and why?
6. What does Maria give Matt for El Patron's birthday?
7. Why does Matt like to hide from Felicia?
8. What does Rosa do while she helps Matt when he is injured at the beginning of the book?
9. Why did El Patron decide to keep Celia?
10. What does Celia tell Matt about the children at the Big House?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do Tam Lin and Celia change through the course of the book, and what causes these changes? Who undergoes the most emotional growth?
Essay Topic 2
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 3
Which character did you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How did this character change throughout the book?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)