|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tam Lin celebrate that Matt is talking again?
2. What makes Maria mad when she first sees Matt?
3. How does Maria show Matt that she forgives him?
4. Why do children discover Matt?
5. Why does someone object to Matt being at El Viejo's funeral?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Fidelito doing in the cemetery when Matt finds him?
2. Why do the Keepers call Matt an aristocrat?
3. What did the coyote do to Celia?
4. What does Celia tell Matt about the children at the Big House?
5. What does Tam Lin say is unique and dangerous about the secret passage?
6. What is Mrs. Ortega hired to do?
7. Why does Matt sometimes fake his cough?
8. What surprising information about Maria does Matt learn while reading A History of Opium?
9. What does Tom show Matt and Maria at the hospital?
10. Why did El Patron decide to keep Celia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why are so many people unable to accept Matt, and what does this indicate about the society this book takes place in?
Essay Topic 2
What are some of the key examples of gratitude in this book, and how do these instances affect that characters involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 3
Fear and Courage are two themes that seem to appear in tandem many times in this book. What are some of these instances, and why do they always appear together?
This section contains 1,210 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)