|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Rosa's position?
2. What does Maria say made her forgive Matt?
3. What does Rosa tell Matt not to do as she leads him across the courtyard?
4. What is Matt accused of when he meets with Maria after their experience at the hospital?
5. How does Tam Lin celebrate that Matt is talking again?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Matt like to hide from Felicia?
2. Who promises to save Matt from the Big House, and how does Matt respond to this?
3. How does Tam Lin tell Matt to escape?
4. Why does Matt stay hidden after the wedding?
5. What does Tam Lin say is unique and dangerous about the secret passage?
6. What is the first thing Matt does when he returns to Opium?
7. What does El Patron tell Matt when they first meet?
8. How does Tam Lin try to protect Matt after the wedding?
9. What is Mrs. Ortega hired to do?
10. How does Matt feel now that he is with the border patrol?
Essay Topic 1
How is Maria different from her siblings, and how do these differences affect the tone and progression of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 3
Fear and Courage are two themes that seem to appear in tandem many times in this book. What are some of these instances, and why do they always appear together?
This section contains 1,241 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)