|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Rosa's position?
2. Who does Matt hope will rescue him while he is out on the lawn?
3. What does Maria say made her forgive Matt?
4. How does Tam Lin celebrate that Matt is talking again?
5. What did St. Francis take to church one day?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Matt stay hidden after the wedding?
2. Why does Matt stop himself from running away to the mountains after his coming of age party?
3. How does Matt get across the border?
4. What does Maria give Matt for El Patron's birthday?
5. What is Mrs. Ortega hired to do?
6. What does Tam Lin praise Matt's teacher for?
7. How does Matt find the secret passage?
8. What happened at El Patron's wake?
9. How does Matt feel now that he is with the border patrol?
10. How does Tam Lin try to protect Matt after the wedding?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do Tam Lin and Celia change through the course of the book, and what causes these changes? Who undergoes the most emotional growth?
Essay Topic 2
Chacho was a minor character whose presence made a big difference in the plot. How did he accomplish this? What are some ways that his presence- however brief, altered the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if Chacho had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 3
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the characters touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes these changes?
This section contains 1,180 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)