|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Eduardo working with at the beginning of the book?
2. Who demands that Matt be at El Viejo's funeral?
3. Who killed Furball?
4. Why does Rosa throw Matt on the lawn?
5. Where is El Patron from?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Maria able to forgive Matt after the birthday party?
2. Why did El Patron decide to keep Celia?
3. What does Tam Lin praise Matt's teacher for?
4. How does Matt get injured at the beginning of the book?
5. What does Tom show Matt and Maria at the hospital?
6. What does Rosa do while she helps Matt when he is injured at the beginning of the book?
7. What does Celia tell Matt about the children at the Big House?
8. Why does Celia choose to tell Matt about her past?
9. What does Matt do before Maria leaves for school, and why?
10. What did the coyote do to Celia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is Maria different from her siblings, and how do these differences affect the tone and progression of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Leadership is a very prominent theme in this book. Who are some of the main leaders in "The House of the Scorpion", and what makes them the true leaders? Is there more than one protagonist?
Essay Topic 3
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the characters touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes these changes?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)