|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do children discover Matt?
2. What makes Maria mad when she first sees Matt?
3. Who takes Maria away from the birthday party?
4. What kind of toy does Matt sleep with?
5. What title does Mr. Mendoza hold?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Mrs. Ortega hired to do?
2. Why did El Patron decide to keep Celia?
3. Why does Matt want to learn more about the opium empire?
4. How does Rosa treat Matt once the doctor leaves?
5. Why does Matt sometimes fake his cough?
6. What happens when Matt tries to meet Maria in the Lotus Garden?
7. What did the coyote do to Celia?
8. What does Matt do when Tom comes to taunt him after his first time in the Big House?
9. Why does Matt like to hide from Felicia?
10. What does El Patron tell Matt when they first meet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affect the course of the plot. Why might Robert Jordan have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 2
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the characters touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 3
How is Maria different from her siblings, and how do these differences affect the tone and progression of the plot?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)