|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Rosa's position?
2. What does Maria say made her forgive Matt?
3. What does Rosa tell Matt not to do as she leads him across the courtyard?
4. What is Matt accused of when he meets with Maria after their experience at the hospital?
5. How does Tam Lin celebrate that Matt is talking again?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Matt like to hide from Felicia?
2. Who promises to save Matt from the Big House, and how does Matt respond to this?
3. How does Tam Lin tell Matt to escape?
4. Why does Matt stay hidden after the wedding?
5. What does Tam Lin say is unique and dangerous about the secret passage?
6. What is the first thing Matt does when he returns to Opium?
7. What does El Patron tell Matt when they first meet?
8. How does Tam Lin try to protect Matt after the wedding?
9. What is Mrs. Ortega hired to do?
10. How does Matt feel now that he is with the border patrol?
Essay Topic 1
How do Tam Lin and Celia change through the course of the book, and what causes these changes? Who undergoes the most emotional growth?
Essay Topic 2
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Matt endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials, and what lessons does Matt learn through these experiences?
This section contains 1,241 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)