|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What title does Mr. Mendoza hold?
2. Why does Matt force his way out of his house for the first time?
3. Where does Eduardo not want to work?
4. How does Matt get out of his house for the first time?
5. What kind of cells is Matt made from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tam Lin praise Matt's teacher for?
2. Why does Matt want to learn more about the opium empire?
3. Why does Celia choose to tell Matt about her past?
4. How does Matt get injured at the beginning of the book?
5. Why doesn't Matt try to make up with Maria right after the birthday party?
6. What does Steven tell his siblings about Matt?
7. What happens when Matt tries to meet Maria in the Lotus Garden?
8. Why atrocity lies in Tam Lin's past?
9. What does Tom show Matt and Maria at the hospital?
10. What does Celia tell Matt about the children at the Big House?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the characters touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 2
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 3
Which character did you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How did this character change throughout the book?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)