|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is a rumor spread that Matt is fleeing to the U.S.?
(a) Matt is accused of another murder.
(b) Maria's arranged marriage falls apart.
(c) El Patron needs a heart.
(d) Matt learns he will have to donate a kidney to El Patron.
2. Who spreads a rumor that Matt is fleeing to the U.S.?
(c) Tam Lin.
3. What makes Matt excited to plan his escape from the factory?
(a) Learning about the nightly binges of the Keepers.
(b) Reading the burial stones.
(c) Seeing a boy beaten to death.
(d) Knowing Ton Ton has a key.
4. Where does Matt meet Maria before the wedding?
(a) The office.
(b) The music room.
(c) The secret passage.
(d) The kitchen.
5. Why does Matt choose to help Fidelito with his border patrol duties?
(a) He is nice.
(b) He is so small.
(c) He reminds him of himself.
(d) He is the only one to ask.
6. What is Matt given as he is sent to San Luis?
(a) Plastic strips.
(b) Pill materials.
7. How does Matt feel while he is in the hospital?
8. Who is with Ton Ton on the vehicle he drives?
9. What devastates Matt when Tam Lin says goodbye?
(a) He says he doesn't believe in Heaven.
(b) He says Celia is an Eejit.
(c) He says Maria doesn't love him.
(d) He says they will never meet again.
10. How does Jorge say he plans to stop Matt from being an aristocrat?
(a) Brainwashing him.
(b) Beating him again.
(c) Moving him to another bunk.
(d) Removing Fidelito.
11. What does Matt say El Patron should do to feel better?
(a) Slow down the crop.
(b) Plant a different crop.
(c) Give to the poor.
(d) Be kind to the eejits.
12. What makes it hard for Matt to focus while Jorge is speaking?
(a) The pain from his injuries.
(b) Not getting fed enough.
(c) Being so tired.
(d) Thoughts of Celia.
13. What kind of factory is Matt sent to?
(a) Corn sorting.
(c) Wood curing.
(d) Water purification.
14. What causes Ton Ton's vehicle to shut down?
(a) The battery dies.
(b) The sun goes down.
(c) They run out of gas.
(d) The terrain gets too rough.
15. Why is Chacho so weak when he gets out of the bone pit?
(a) He is sleep deprived.
(b) He is injured.
(c) He is starving.
(d) He is dehydrated.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Fidelito say is unfair about the border patrol jobs?
2. Who takes Matt to see El Patron when he has a major medical problem?
3. Why has Celia been giving Matt poison?
4. How does Maria feel when she learns her mother is still alive?
5. Why does Matt recognize the bed he is put on in the hospital?
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)