|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the Smalls and Mayhew talking about at the start of Chapter 16?
2. What do Thomas and his father find in the secret passage with Mr. Pluto?
3. What is Mr. Pluto driven to do according to his son?
4. What do Thomas and his family tour after lunch?
5. Where are Thomas, his father and Mayhew waiting?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do Thomas and his father go at the start of Chapter 13?
2. What do Thomas and Mr. Small find in the office?
3. Where does Mr. Small take the family in Chapter 11?
4. What seems to help Mr. Small understand?
5. How do the Darrows access the house according to Mayhew?
6. What does Mayhew explain about his father?
7. What does Thomas discover when he wakes in the morning?
8. What roles do Thomas, Mr. Small and Mayhew have in the scheme?
9. Who is Mayhew Skinner and who does he dress up as in Chapter 15?
10. What do the Darrows want?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the significance of religion in the "The House of Dies Drear" and the role that it played in the book. Use "The House of Dies Drear" to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
Identify the protagonist and antagonist of the story and determine how these characters help drive the plot.
Essay Topic 3
Define setting and discuss the importance of the setting of the house. Use examples and quotes from "The House of Dies Drear" to support your discussion.
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)