|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Pesty's mount appear to the intruders?
2. What does Mr. Pluto do when Thomas' father calls out to him?
3. What is Mr. Pluto driven to do according to his son?
4. What does Pesty mount?
5. What does Mayhew ask Thomas and his father to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is finally decided about the scheme?
2. Who helps to clean the kitchen up at the start of Chapter 16?
3. What do Mr. Small and Thomas find in Chapter 14 when they enter the cave?
4. What does the family go in search of?
5. How do the Darrows access the house according to Mayhew?
6. Where does Mr. Small take the family in Chapter 11?
7. What is Mrs. Small's first impression of the events in their home?
8. What does Thomas learn when he finds his father?
9. What do the Darrows want?
10. What do Mr. Small and Thomas find when they go into a cave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Mrs. Small and Mr. Small, using evidence from the book to support your comparison.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one theme introduced in "The House of Dies Drear" and how the theme is developed.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one character and discuss how you think the author, Virginia Hamilton, wants the reader to view him/her. Explain your reasoning.
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)