|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Thomas' father decide to wait for before telling the foundation about the treasure?
2. What do Thomas and his family tour after lunch?
3. Who wants to be a ghost?
4. Why is Thomas' family directed to the Carr filling station?
5. Where are Thomas, his father and Mayhew waiting?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is finally decided about the scheme?
2. What does the family go in search of?
3. What seems to help Mr. Small understand?
4. Who helps to clean the kitchen up at the start of Chapter 16?
5. What do Mr. Small and Thomas find in Chapter 14 when they enter the cave?
6. What do Mayhew and Mr. Pluto believe in Chapter 19?
7. What does Mr. Pluto tell the Smalls about the room?
8. Where do Thomas and his father go at the start of Chapter 13?
9. What do the Darrows want?
10. Where does Mr. Small take the family in Chapter 11?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the significance of the Underground Railroad for the setting of "The House of Dies Drear." Use "The House of Dies Drear" to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one character and discuss how you think the author, Virginia Hamilton, wants the reader to view him/her. Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Hamilton's use of historical facts when writing the "The House of Dies Drear" and discuss whether it adds or detracts to the book.
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)