|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Beside being the caretaker of the house, what is Mr Pluto's other occupation?
2. What did the network that helped slaves make use of to hide them?
3. What is the first thing the boy and the girl ask Thomas?
4. What is Thomas' last name?
5. Where does Thomas go after getting up in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mr. Small do to the mechanism?
2. At the start of Chapter 4, who arrives at the house?
3. Where does Thomas lay down?
4. What do Mr. Small and Thomas think is a warning?
5. How is the house of Dies Drear described at the start of Chapter 3?
6. What does Thomas notice about Mr. Small at the end of Chapter 7?
7. Who do they see when Thomas accompanies his father outside?
8. What name was Dies Drear also known by?
9. Why does Thomas find the furniture arrangement offensive?
10. What does Thomas do outside of the house in Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define the terms metaphor and simile and discuss how Hamilton incorporates these into her writing.
Essay Topic 2
Identify the protagonist and antagonist of the story and determine how these characters help drive the plot.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Thomas small and examine his role in uncovering the truth. Use "The House of Dies Drear" to support your discussion.
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)