|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Thomas tell his father about the tunnel at the start of Chapter 5?
2. How old is the boy according to Thomas?
3. Where is Thomas sitting at the start of Chapter 1?
4. How many siblings does Thomas have?
5. What do Thomas' parents have a queer reaction to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Thomas is walking through the woods?
2. Why does Thomas dislike his room according to Chapter 8?
3. What do the people who arrive at the house ask Thomas?
4. Where does Thomas' father find Mr. Pluto in Chapter 7?
5. What do Mr. Small and Thomas think is a warning?
6. What does Mr. Small do to the mechanism?
7. Who do they see when Thomas accompanies his father outside?
8. Who does Thomas think fondly of when moving to Ohio?
9. What name was Dies Drear also known by?
10. What does Thomas drop and what happens while is was walking?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one theme introduced in "The House of Dies Drear" and how the theme is developed.
Essay Topic 2
Choose two characters from the "The House of Dies Drear" and compare their traits and personalities. Use examples from the book to support your comparison.
Essay Topic 3
Identify the protagonist and antagonist of the story and determine how these characters help drive the plot.
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)