|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Dies Drear give to the people that passed through his house to help them?
2. Where does Thomas burst through at the end of Chapter 6?
3. Where does Thomas fall asleep?
4. What does Thomas want to keep watch for?
5. What does Dies Drear's nickname mean?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the house of Dies Drear described at the start of Chapter 3?
2. Why does Thomas find the furniture arrangement offensive?
3. What name was Dies Drear also known by?
4. Why is the caretaker of the house also known as Mr. Pluto?
5. What was considered a crime?
6. What happens while the Small family sleeps?
7. Who is the house they were moving to once owned by?
8. Why did Thomas send the people that arrived away?
9. What did Dies Drear give to others according to Chapter 2?
10. What does Thomas discover when he is looking at the heavy front door?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Hamilton's use of irony in choosing the names of her characters.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one character and discuss how you think the author, Virginia Hamilton, wants the reader to view him/her. Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 3
Define setting and discuss the importance of the setting of the house. Use examples and quotes from "The House of Dies Drear" to support your discussion.
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)