|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Sarah's nickname?
2. Who is Thomas with when he sees Mr. Pluto riding to church?
3. How does the young girl Thomas meets at the end of Chapter 3 arrive at the house?
4. Why does Thomas plunge into total darkness?
5. How does Thomas exit the tunnel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the people who arrive at the house ask Thomas?
2. What was the Underground Railroad according to Chapter 1?
3. What name was Dies Drear also known by?
4. Why does Thomas find the furniture arrangement offensive?
5. What does Mr. Small tell Thomas about the sound he heard the night before?
6. What did Dies Drear give to others according to Chapter 2?
7. What does Thomas find when he wakes in the beginning of Chapter 9?
8. What does Thomas discover when he is looking at the heavy front door?
9. What does Thomas tell his father about at the start of Chapter 5?
10. What happens when Thomas is walking through the woods?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define foreshadowing and discuss how Hamilton uses this literary element in "The House of Dies Drear." Use examples from the book to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Thomas small and examine his role in uncovering the truth. Use "The House of Dies Drear" to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Hamilton's use of historical facts when writing the "The House of Dies Drear" and discuss whether it adds or detracts to the book.
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)