|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the network that helped escaped slaves going north in Chapter 1?
2. Where does Thomas bring his siblings after arriving at the house?
3. Who is a little frightened by the house?
4. What does the man tell Thomas?
5. What does Thomas want to keep watch for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the people who arrive at the house ask Thomas?
2. What did Dies Drear give to others according to Chapter 2?
3. Why is the caretaker of the house also known as Mr. Pluto?
4. What does Thomas find in the kitchen?
5. Why did Thomas send the people that arrived away?
6. At the start of Chapter 4, who arrives at the house?
7. What does Thomas do outside of the house in Chapter 6?
8. What do Mr. Small and Thomas think is a warning?
9. Who do they see when Thomas accompanies his father outside?
10. What does Mr. Small tell Thomas about the sound he heard the night before?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the importance of the title, "The House of Dies Drear" and determine what Hamilton may have wanted to achieve.
Essay Topic 2
Define point of view and discuss Hamilton's use of point of view and how the perspective affects the telling of the story.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Hamilton's definition of freedom as depicted in "The House of Dies Drear" and use examples from the book to support your analysis. Choose one character who has a form of enslavement and discuss how they become free at the end of the book.
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)