|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the Smalls and Mayhew talking about at the start of Chapter 16?
(a) Their plan to put Mr, Pluto in a hospital.
(b) Their plan to turn the treasure over to the foundation.
(c) His plan to keep the Darrows away.
(d) Their plan to involve the police.
2. What were the triangles the Smalls found in their home used for?
(a) Warn of traps.
(b) Mark hiding places.
(c) Show travel directions.
(d) Show food storage.
3. What does the vandalizing of the kitchen persuade Thomas' father to do?
(a) Leave the house.
(b) Keep out of the affairs of Mr.Pluto and the Darrows.
(c) Protect the treasure.
(d) Go to the police.
4. Why does Thomas' father hope Mr. Pluto will die before he finishes cataloging the Dies Drear treasure?
(a) So he doesn't see the treasure being taken away from him.
(b) So he doesn't have to pay a fine.
(c) Because he would be arrested.
(d) So the Darrows think he is a ghost.
5. What is Mr. Pluto doing when Thomas and his father see him?
(a) He is looking at them with binoculars.
(b) He is fishing.
(c) He is napping.
(d) He is smoking and pacing.
6. How are Thomas, his father and Mayhew dressed?
(b) The Darrows.
(c) Dies Drear and the two dead slaves.
(d) Police officers.
7. Who do Thomas and his father find in the secret passage with Mr. Pluto?
(b) Mrs. Pluto.
(c) Mrs. Darrow.
8. How does Thomas' father open the secret passage in the wall?
(a) By pushing a rock.
(b) By pressing a button.
(c) By pulling a dangling rope.
(d) By pressing against a wall.
9. Where does Thomas' father bring his family after church?
(a) To a welcome party.
(b) To the university where he will be teaching.
(c) To the park.
(d) To the police station.
10. What will keep the intruders away for a long time according to Mr. Pluto?
(a) Their shame.
(b) A barbwire fence.
(c) A court order.
(d) The police.
11. What do Mr. Pluto and his son realize they need to do in order to keep the Darrows at bay?
(a) Buy guns.
(b) Get a court order.
(c) Build a large fence.
(d) Trust the Smalls.
12. What made Mr. Pluto's son decide to dress as he does?
(a) He want to prove he is worth more than his father.
(b) His father is ill.
(c) His father asked him.
(d) He wants revenge on the Darrows.
13. What does Thomas think of the congregation and Mr. Pluto?
(a) He thinks the congregation fears Mr. Pluto.
(b) He thinks the congregation ignores Mr. Pluto.
(c) He thinks the congregation likes Mr. Pluto.
(d) He thinks the congregation respects Mr. Pluto.
14. Why is Thomas' family directed to the Carr filling station?
(a) There is no locksmith in town.
(b) The locksmith prices are too high.
(c) The locksmith is away for the day.
(d) The locksmith works there part time.
15. Who are Thomas, his father and Mayhew waiting for?
(a) Mrs. Darrow.
(b) The Dies Drear Foundation.
(c) The Darrow brothers.
(d) The police.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Mr. Pluto's son dressed?
2. What do Thomas and his father find in the secret passage with Mr. Pluto?
3. Who is guilty of destroying the Smalls' kitchen?
4. Where does Mr. Small say a slave could hide from hunters?
5. What do Thomas and his family do before returning home after going to the Carr filling station?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)