• In Chapter 1, Thomas, a 13-year-old African American boy is sitting in a car going to his new house in Ohio.
• The house his family is renting was once an important stop on the Underground Rrailroad.
• The house was built and owned by a white abolitionist that lost his life when he was caught helping slaves.
• The house was built with many secret rooms and passages.
• Rumors say that the house is haunted.
• No one lived in the house for more than a few weeks at a time.
• Dies Drear gave shelter and money to slaves on their way to Canada.
• Mr. Pluto is the caretaker of the house.
• Pluto is the Roman name of the god of the underworld Hades.
• In Chapter 3, the Smalls arrive at the Dies Drear house. The house is imposing and the weather makes it appear frightening.
This section contains 1,091 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)