|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who brings the Greenes to meet the Kennedys?
2. Through whose house does a tree limb crash during the ice storm?
3. Who does Claire call when she returns from the island to find the Sheehans gone?
4. How did the Greenes' bedroom curtains fall?
5. What kind of music does Colquitt listen to while she works in her home office?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Walter tell Lipschutz to "shove it" when the Kennedys approach him about the house?
2. Why is Colquitt concerned about Claire's becoming friends with Susan?
3. What causes Claire to finally believe the house is haunted?
4. In Chapter 17, what does Walter tell Colquitt is wrong with her idea that the house is evil and goes after those who live in it?
5. What is strange about the phone calls Virginia tells Colquitt that Anita is receiving and who does she initially think they are from?
6. How does Colquitt feel while Kim is kissing her?
7. Why does Colquitt go to the Sheehans' house on the day she witnesses Buck and Virginia making love?
8. How does Norman react to Walter telling him that the house may be haunted?
9. How does Colquitt feel when Claire brings the Greenes over to meet them?
10. In Chapter 21, why does Walter lose a client?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is an archetype and how is the house the archetypal bad place?
Essay Topic 2
In the end, has the house affected Kim or has Kim affected the house? What is ironic about the conclusion of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
How does The House Next Door fit into the horror genre? What elements of a horror novel does it have? Is it a typical horror novel? Why or why not?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)