|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Colquitt say was most important to Pie?
2. What is Colquitt trying to find when Kim kisses her?
3. How did the Greenes' bedroom curtains fall?
4. What are Libby's parents' names?
5. Who implies to Claire that Duck and Libby may get into trouble?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 24, why does Claire tell Colquitt she doesn't want to see her ever again?
2. Why does Colquitt make an excuse to Buck for the broken window at the Sheehans' house, and what is the excuse?
3. Why does Anita tell Colquitt she believes Toby is alive and coming home?
4. Why does Norman throw his clothes out of the closet and on to the floor?
5. What does Colquitt say she likes about working from home?
6. Why does Colquitt go to the Sheehans' house on the day she witnesses Buck and Virginia making love?
7. What does Colquitt mean when she says to Walter that maybe Buck hadn't cracked because it wasn't "his turn" yet?
8. What is the party that the Greenes throw for and what is it like?
9. In Chapter 17, what does Walter tell Colquitt is wrong with her idea that the house is evil and goes after those who live in it?
10. Why does Claire think Colquitt's explanation that she thought the Sheehans may have just gone out is implausible when Colquitt tries to tell Claire she knows nothing about why the couple left?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does The House Next Door fit into the horror genre? What elements of a horror novel does it have? Is it a typical horror novel? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Explain Colquitt's theory about the house and how it affects each family that lives there.
Essay Topic 3
How does the Kennedys' plan cause them to fall victim to the house? What is taken away from them as they carry out their plan? How is their fate similar to the fates of the others who were harmed by the house?
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)