|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What decision do Claire and her husband make after Duck's announcement?
2. What excuse does Walter give those who call for Colquitt in the first days after the Sheehans leave the neighborhood for good?
3. What are Libby's parents' names?
4. At whose party do Colquitt and Claire first see each other again following their argument about Susan?
5. What nickname does Marguerite call Anita?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Colquitt so upset at being unable to tell Claire what really happened to the Sheehans?
2. Why does Colquitt make an excuse to Buck for the broken window at the Sheehans' house, and what is the excuse?
3. Why does Colquitt go to the Sheehans' house on the day she witnesses Buck and Virginia making love?
4. Why does Claire think Colquitt's explanation that she thought the Sheehans may have just gone out is implausible when Colquitt tries to tell Claire she knows nothing about why the couple left?
5. In Chapter 21, why does Walter lose a client?
6. Why does Anita tell Colquitt she believes Toby is alive and coming home?
7. In Chapter 24, why does Claire tell Colquitt she doesn't want to see her ever again?
8. How does Norman react to Walter telling him that the house may be haunted?
9. Why is Colquitt concerned about Claire's becoming friends with Susan?
10. What is the party that the Greenes throw for and what is it like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the Harralsons and the Sheehans. What is important to each couple? How is each couple affected by the house? What are their similarities and differences?
Essay Topic 2
What is the relationship between Colquitt and Kim like? How does Colquitt view the relationship? How do others see it? How does the relationship change over the course of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Explain Colquitt's theory about the house and how it affects each family that lives there.
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)