|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Anita say Toby always calls her?
2. What kind of medication does Claire tell Colquitt the Greenes have Melissa on?
3. What is Colquitt doing when Anita comes to Colquitt's patio to tell her Toby called?
4. What is the name of Duck's girlfriend?
5. What doesn't Norman want to allow Melissa to do when the Greenes first visit the Kennedys?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Colquitt so upset at being unable to tell Claire what really happened to the Sheehans?
2. Why does Colquitt go to the Sheehans' house on the day she witnesses Buck and Virginia making love?
3. What does Colquitt say she likes about working from home?
4. Why do Colquitt and Walter decide to go to Ocho Rios for Christmas?
5. What does Colquitt immediately notice when she and Walter return from New York and why does this upset her?
6. Why does Anita tell Colquitt she believes Toby is alive and coming home?
7. What causes Colquitt to decide never to return to the ballet guild meetings?
8. Why does Colquitt call Anita's doctor after she sees Buck and Virginia on the couch?
9. Why does Walter tell Lipschutz to "shove it" when the Kennedys approach him about the house?
10. How does Colquitt feel when Claire brings the Greenes over to meet them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What point of view is the novel written in? What are the advantages of this point of view? What are the disadvantages? Is this an appropriate point of view for this novel? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss character development as it applies to the character of Virginia Guthrie. What does the author do to develop her character? What techniques does she employ?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the Harralsons and the Sheehans. What is important to each couple? How is each couple affected by the house? What are their similarities and differences?
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)