|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are Buck and Virginia when Colquitt sees them making love?
2. Where does Kim's letter to Colquitt indicate he is at the close of Chapter 13?
3. Where is Melissa's body found?
4. What does Colquitt say was most important to Pie?
5. What does Claire call Colquitt as she orders her to leave her home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Colquitt to decide never to return to the ballet guild meetings?
2. How does Norman react to Walter telling him that the house may be haunted?
3. Why does Walter tell Lipschutz to "shove it" when the Kennedys approach him about the house?
4. Why is Colquitt so upset at being unable to tell Claire what really happened to the Sheehans?
5. Why does Colquitt call Anita's doctor after she sees Buck and Virginia on the couch?
6. What causes Claire to finally believe the house is haunted?
7. Why does Colquitt go to the Sheehans' house on the day she witnesses Buck and Virginia making love?
8. How does Colquitt feel when Claire brings the Greenes over to meet them?
9. Why is Colquitt concerned about Claire's becoming friends with Susan?
10. What does Colquitt say she likes about working from home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do Walter and Colquitt decide not to tell anyone about their experiences in the house? What effect does this have on them? How does this decision serve to enhance the mystique of the house?
Essay Topic 2
How does Kim's opinion of the house change throughout the novel? What is his initial opinion as the house is being built? What does he think of the house while the Sheehans live there? What does he think at the end of the book? What causes the fluctuation in his opinion?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss character development as it applies to the character of Virginia Guthrie. What does the author do to develop her character? What techniques does she employ?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)