|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Max put his hand while Naomi was inside at the end of Part 2, Chapter 6?
2. How long did Mrs. Michaelis convince Karen to wait for until she told Ray about Max?
3. How did Naomi, Max and Karen feel around each other in Part 2, Chapter 5?
4. At the end of Part 2, Chapter 10, what did Max look at for the last time?
5. How would Karen and Max have felt if they had actually become a couple.
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Karen's mother discover that Karen had been lying about who she was with on the weekend in Part 2, Chapter 11?
2. After confessing to her mother about her plans with Max, what did Mrs.Michaelis convince Karen to do?
3. What happened at the end of Part 2, Chapter 6?
4. How did Karen discover that her mother knew she was lying in Part 2, Chapter 11?
5. What did Karen think about while Max was sleeping in Part 2, Chapter 9?
6. What does Madame Fisher tell Leopold about his past in Part 3, Chapter 2?
7. How did Karen handle it when Max left for Paris?
8. How did Karen feel about being with Max and Naomi in Part 2, Chapter 5?
9. What did Karen realize while walking through the town with Max in Part 2, Chapter 9?
10. How does Leopold react to the news that his mother will not be visiting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A theme of the novel is Frenchness versus Englishness. What are some examples of this theme that relates to setting, character, and plot? How does this theme relate to the themes of appearance versus reality and the desire to live a passionate life?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the motifs in the novel "The House in Paris." What is the meaning behind the letter motif? The house motif? The Charles the Monkey motif? What others motifs are there?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the motif of betrayal in the novel "The House in Paris." Who betrays whom in the novel, and why? How do these examples of betrayal affect the lives of the principal and secondary characters?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)