|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Karen and Max agree to do in Part 2, Chapter 10?
2. How does Leopold react in front of Miss Fisher to the news that his mother is not coming?
3. What made Karen cry during her rendezvous with Max in Part 2, Chapter 8?
4. In part 2, Chapter 9, Karen compares her feeling of isolation to the isolation she might have felt in what country?
5. What does Miss Fisher tell Leopold when she comes back downstairs in Part 3, Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Karen discover that her mother knew she was lying in Part 2, Chapter 11?
2. How does Henrietta comfort Leopold in Part 3, Chapter 1?
3. What did Karen think of her time at Madame Fisher's in Paris?
4. What was the reason that Karen and Max met in Boulogne?
5. How did Karen's mother discover that Karen had been lying about who she was with on the weekend in Part 2, Chapter 11?
6. What does Madame Fisher tell Leopold about his past in Part 3, Chapter 2?
7. How did Karen feel about being with Max and Naomi in Part 2, Chapter 5?
8. What did Karen find Max doing in the morning in Part 2, Chapter 10?
9. What does the reader learn of Max's and Karen's relationship in Paris?
10. What did Karen think about while Max was sleeping in Part 2, Chapter 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the motifs in the novel "The House in Paris." What is the meaning behind the letter motif? The house motif? The Charles the Monkey motif? What others motifs are there?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Bowen's use of time as a plot device. Why does she go from past to present and how does this effect the narrative? What does the reader learn by going back in time in Part 2?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the relationship between Karen and Max. What does Karen believe her feelings for Max are at first? How do her feelings change as Part 2 progresses? What takes place between Max and Karen in Part 2? How does her affair with Max change her life?
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)