|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Karen get back to London in Part 2, Chapter 11?
2. What nationality was Max's father?
3. What was the weather like during Karen and Max's rendezvous in Part 2, Chapter 9?
4. What made Karen cry during her rendezvous with Max in Part 2, Chapter 8?
5. What did Karen and Max decide to write to Naomi about in Part 2, Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. After confessing to her mother about her plans with Max, what did Mrs.Michaelis convince Karen to do?
2. In Part 2, Chapter 10, after Max and Karen realize that their feelings for each other are stronger than previously thought, what did they decide to do?
3. How did Karen discover that her mother knew she was lying in Part 2, Chapter 11?
4. How does Leopold react to the news that his mother will not be visiting?
5. How did Karen feel about being with Max and Naomi in Part 2, Chapter 5?
6. How did Karen's mother discover that Karen had been lying about who she was with on the weekend in Part 2, Chapter 11?
7. What news did Naomi tell Karen when she visited in Part 2, Chapter 12? What news did Karen tell Naomi?
8. What did the letter from Uncle Bill say in Part 2, Chapter 7? How did Mrs.Michaelis react to the letter?
9. What did the letter from Madame Fisher say in Part 2, Chapter 7? How did Mrs.Michaelis react to the letter?
10. What did Karen's mother comment on Naomi's and Max's relationship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the motif of betrayal in the novel "The House in Paris." Who betrays whom in the novel, and why? How do these examples of betrayal affect the lives of the principal and secondary characters?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret the principal characters of the novel (Henrietta, Leopold, Naomi, Karen). What are their defining character traits? What are their roles in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the deaths in the novel "The House in Paris." What deaths take place throughout the narrative? What purpose might these deaths serve? How do the principle characters react to these deaths and how do they affect their lives?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)