|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Naomi's mother described as?
2. What is the name of Henrietta's sister?
3. What was the name of Bill's home?
4. What does Leopold hope to find in Miss Fisher's handbag in Part 1, Chapter 3?
5. How is Madame Fisher's bedroom described?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the reader learn of Henrietta's family in Part 1, Chapter 2?
2. What does the letter that Leopold finds in Part 1, Chapter 3 from Leopold's aunt say?
3. What does Leopold find in Miss Fisher's handbag in Part 1, Chapter 3?
4. What did Karen do before leaving Mount Iris?
5. Who was Karen engaged to and how did she feel about this engagement?
6. What did Karen tell Violet during their conversation about Karen's engagement?
7. What did Ray's letter to Karen in Part 2, Chapter 2 ask for and how did Karen respond to the letter?
8. What does Henrietta do for Leopold after he finds a deck of cards?
9. What does Leopold do that causes both he and Henrietta to become nervous at the end of Part 1 Chapter 2?
10. What does the reader learn of Leopold's family in Part 1, Chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What happens at the end of the novel "The House in Paris"? Is everything resolved? Are there any surprises at the end of the novel? What happens to the principle characters?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Bowen's use of foreshadowing. When does she use foreshadowing? What affect does the foreshadowing have on the narrative? What are some examples of foreshadowing?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the metaphors in the novel "The House in Paris." What are some examples of metaphors in the novel? What are the meanings behind these metaphors?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)