|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Ray's letter ask for in Part 2, Chapter 2?
2. What arrives at the house while Henrietta is reading Leopold's fortune?
3. After looking at the stripes of the wallpaper in Part 1, Chapter 5, what does Henrietta comment about the house?
4. What is Henrietta able to tell fortunes with?
5. How did Naomi often reply when asked whether her mother still intervened in her life?
Short Essay Questions
1. What subjects do Henrietta and Madame Fisher talk about in Part 1 Chapter 4?
2. How does Leopold begin to see Henrietta after they agree that Miss Fisher is insane?
3. What is Henrietta's initial impression of Paris?
4. What happened at the end of Chapter 4 in Part 2?
5. What does Leopold find in Miss Fisher's handbag in Part 1, Chapter 3?
6. What does Leopold do while Henrietta speaks with Madame Fisher in Part 1, Chapter 3? Why does he do this?
7. How did Karen feel during her stay at Mount Iris?
8. What does Henrietta think about after leaving Madame Fisher's room in Part 1, Chapter 5?
9. What does Henrietta do for Leopold after he finds a deck of cards?
10. What does Leopold do that causes both he and Henrietta to become nervous at the end of Part 1 Chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret the principal characters of the novel (Henrietta, Leopold, Naomi, Karen). What are their defining character traits? What are their roles in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the motifs in the novel "The House in Paris." What is the meaning behind the letter motif? The house motif? The Charles the Monkey motif? What others motifs are there?
Essay Topic 3
A major theme of the novel is appearance versus reality. What are some examples of this from the novel? Give examples of the discrepancies between a character's appearance and the reality of their emotions or beliefs.
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)