|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Naomi's mother described as?
2. What did Bill confess to Karen in Part 2, Chapter 2?
3. What was the name of Bill's home?
4. What did Uncle Bill tell Karen not to speak of to the rest of the family?
5. What do Henrietta and Leopold think of Miss Fisher?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Henrietta learn of Leopold's father in Part 1, Chapter 4?
2. What is Henrietta's initial impression of Paris?
3. What does the reader learn of Leopold's family in Part 1, Chapter 2?
4. During Karen's conversation with Naomi, what was revealed about Naomi and her anxieties and insecurities?
5. What does Henrietta think about after leaving Madame Fisher's room in Part 1, Chapter 5?
6. What does the letter that Leopold finds in Part 1, Chapter 3 from Henrietta's grandmother say?
7. What does Leopold do while Henrietta speaks with Madame Fisher in Part 1, Chapter 3? Why does he do this?
8. Who was Karen engaged to and how did she feel about this engagement?
9. What does the reader learn of Henrietta's family in Part 1, Chapter 2?
10. What did Ray's letter to Karen in Part 2, Chapter 2 ask for and how did Karen respond to the letter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the contrasts which Bowen illustrates throughout the novel. What contrasts are evident? How do these contrasts relate to the themes of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Bowen's use of irony. What are the different types of irony? Are there examples of each type in the novel? What are some examples of irony in the novel? What do these examples mean?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the imagery that Bowen uses in "The House in Paris." What are some examples of imagery in the novel? What themes or ideas do these examples represent?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)