|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Henrietta take a moment to do after leaving Madame Fisher's room in Part 1, Chapter 5?
2. Besides Ray, who did Karen write to in Part 2, Chapter 2?
3. What did Karen learn about Naomi in Part 2, Chapter 3?
4. How is Bill's wife described?
5. What country was Yellow Hat from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Henrietta confront Leopold about when she returns downstairs after talking to Madame Fisher?
2. How does Leopold begin to see Henrietta after they agree that Miss Fisher is insane?
3. What arrives at the Fisher household in Part 1, Chapter 5?
4. What does Henrietta do for Leopold after he finds a deck of cards?
5. What does Leopold do that causes both he and Henrietta to become nervous at the end of Part 1 Chapter 2?
6. How did Karen react to Naomi's presence upon her arrival home? What did Naomi tell her about why she was there?
7. How does Henrietta feel upon entering the Fisher household in Part 1, Chapter 1?
8. What does the reader learn of Leopold's family in Part 1, Chapter 2?
9. During Karen's conversation with Naomi, what was revealed about Naomi and her anxieties and insecurities?
10. Who did Karen meet on the ferry in Part 2, Chapter 3? What did these two characters talk about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the metaphors in the novel "The House in Paris." What are some examples of metaphors in the novel? What are the meanings behind these metaphors?
Essay Topic 2
A theme of the novel is Frenchness versus Englishness. What are some examples of this theme that relates to setting, character, and plot? How does this theme relate to the themes of appearance versus reality and the desire to live a passionate life?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the principal characters of the novel (Henrietta, Leopold, Naomi, Karen). What are their defining character traits? What are their roles in the story?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)