|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Henrietta confront Leopold about once she returns downstairs in Part 1, Chapter 5?
(a) Reading the letters and not picking up her things.
(b) Finishing off the apple pie at lunch.
(c) Sneaking a peek at her undergarments.
(d) Telling Madame Fisher a lie about Henrietta.
2. How did Naomi often reply when asked whether her mother still intervened in her life?
(a) "Not anymore."
(b) "Whenever she can."
(c) "Only when I let her."
(d) "Regretably, no."
3. Why had Naomi made the journey in Part 2, Chapter 4?
(a) To wrap up the estate of a dead aunt.
(b) To attend the wedding of a cousin.
(c) To attend a lecture at a university.
(d) To shop for the latest fashions.
4. What was Karen's fiance's job?
(b) Government agent.
5. How did Karen feel while visiting Bill?
Short Answer Questions
1. How did time pass at Mount Iris in Part 2, Chapter 3?
2. What is Henrietta's grandmother's surname?
3. Where did Karen travel to after the announcement of her engagement?
4. What does Leopold's fortune say?
5. Who does Henrietta compare her sister's broken heart to?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Karen's uncle and aunt described?
2. Who was Karen engaged to and how did she feel about this engagement?
3. What does the letter that Leopold finds in Part 1, Chapter 3 from Henrietta's grandmother say?
4. What is Henrietta's initial impression of Paris?
5. What does Henrietta confront Leopold about when she returns downstairs after talking to Madame Fisher?
6. What does Henrietta learn of Leopold's father in Part 1, Chapter 4?
7. Who did Karen meet on the ferry in Part 2, Chapter 3? What did these two characters talk about?
8. Why did Karen go to Ireland?
9. What does Leopold do while Henrietta speaks with Madame Fisher in Part 1, Chapter 3? Why does he do this?
10. What subjects do Henrietta and Madame Fisher talk about in Part 1 Chapter 4?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)