|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With what sentiment did Karen reply to Ray's letter?
(a) With regret.
(b) With anger.
(c) With impatience.
(d) With enthusiasm.
2. What is Henrietta disappointed by in Part 1, Chapter 1?
(a) Miss Fisher's lack of enthusiasm.
(b) The miserable weather which greets her upon her arrival.
(c) The food on the train.
(d) Paris' early-morning lack of life.
3. How is Bill's wife described?
(a) As matronly.
(b) As controlling.
(c) As tranquil.
(d) As sarcastic.
4. Why had Naomi made the journey in Part 2, Chapter 4?
(a) To attend the wedding of a cousin.
(b) To attend a lecture at a university.
(c) To wrap up the estate of a dead aunt.
(d) To shop for the latest fashions.
5. Who was Karen engaged to?
6. Why was Leopold frustrated at living in a small Italian city?
(a) The city had none of the spirit of Rome.
(b) He felt out of place.
(c) It felt suffocating.
(d) He had always wanted to live in Paris.
7. What was Karen's fiance's job?
(c) Government agent.
8. What do Henrietta and Madame Fisher talk about in Part 1, Chapter 4?
(a) The neighborhood boys and their behavior towards Leopold.
(b) Madame Fisher's childhood.
(c) The story behind some of Madame Fisher's favorite objects.
(d) Henrietta's grandmother, Leopold and Miss Fisher.
9. Besides Ray, who did Karen write to in Part 2, Chapter 2?
(d) Madame Fisher.
10. What does the letter from Leopold's aunt to Miss Fisher hint at?
(a) Money troubles.
(b) A family secret involving Leopold's aunt.
(c) A close relationship between Miss Fisher and Leopold's father.
(d) An illness in the family.
11. Who taught Henrietta how to tell fortunes?
(a) Her grandmother.
(b) An aunt.
(c) A school friend.
(d) A governess.
12. What did Uncle Bill tell Karen not to speak of to the rest of the family?
(a) Violet's illness.
(b) Karen's engagement.
(c) His bankruptcy.
(d) The fire.
13. What do Leopold and Henrietta feel when they hear that news has arrived in Part 1, Chapter 5?
14. How does Henrietta describe Madame Fisher's way of talking?
(a) It is indifferent.
(b) It is humorous.
(c) It is impudent.
(d) It is offensive.
15. Who has just arrived from England in Part 1, Chapter 1?
(c) Miss Fisher.
(d) Henrietta's sister.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Leopold staying at the Fishers' home?
2. What was Leopold's father's name?
3. What similarity was Naomi glad to share with Karen in Part 2, Chapter 4?
4. What do Henrietta and Leopold both resent?
5. What was Karen doing when she was interrupted by Yellow Hat in Part 2, Chapter 3?
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)