|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gives Mrs. Latch's garage the look of a miniature house?
2. What is Louis' sad observation?
3. How many times will Clarissa Dalloway have kissed a woman?
4. What does the unusual light in Richard's apartment reveal?
5. What can Laura see out of the hotel window?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is unusual about Louis' visit?
2. What is Richard's most precious memory of Clarissa?
3. In what ways are Clarissa and Mary different?
4. What does Louis think of Clarissa?
5. Why has Virginia's attitude changed?
6. What fears does Virginia have at this point in the novel?
7. What does Virginia see as a kind of devil?
8. Why does Walter want to buy his young partner a present?
9. What distracts Laura as she gets out of her car at Mrs. Latch's house?
10. What gives Laura the feeling that she has actually succeeded in achieving a kind of perfection?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
'Cunningham's The Hours is unremittingly depressing.' Do you agree? Is the view of life he presents a gloomy one? Refer closely to the text.
Essay Topic 2
'Freedom is a concept, but not an experience.' How might this be applied to the characters in Michael Cunningham's The Hours?
Essay Topic 3
Writing has been said to hold a mirror to life. What do you see of life in The Hours and how is this vision significant?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)