|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the cause of Mary's emotional distress?
2. How many times will Clarissa Dalloway have kissed a woman?
3. What is Nelly preparing for supper?
4. In what way does Oliver intend this film to be different?
5. What is the very long chapter in Richard's novel concerned with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the ways in which Laura justifies to herself her trip to the hotel just in order to read?
2. Which character is referred to as the subjugated Amazon Queen?
3. What makes Virginia, at this point, begin to reconsider killing off her character, Mrs. Dalloway?
4. Why is suicide not an option for Laura?
5. In what way is Laura's ambivalence towards her husband evident in Chapter 19 of The Hours?
6. In what ways are Clarissa and Mary different?
7. What is ironic about Richard's apartment being open to the light?
8. Why has Virginia's attitude changed?
9. Why does Walter want to buy his young partner a present?
10. What does Virginia see as a kind of devil?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are numerous interpersonal tensions running through all sections of Michael Cunningham's The Hours. Discuss two of these interpersonal tensions. Are they resolved during the novel? How do they affect the characters who are involved? How are these tensions associated with the themes and/or symbols that are important in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
'Cunningham's The Hours is unremittingly depressing.' Do you agree? Is the view of life he presents a gloomy one? Refer closely to the text.
Essay Topic 3
'Freedom is a concept, but not an experience.' How might this be applied to the characters in Michael Cunningham's The Hours?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)