|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Louis' profession?
2. Why does Clarissa imagine Julia despises her?
3. What does Laura remember being sold in novelty shops?
4. What is unusual about Clarissa and Sally?
5. How many times will Clarissa Dalloway have kissed a woman?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way is Laura's ambivalence towards her husband evident in Chapter 19 of The Hours?
2. What does Louis think of Clarissa?
3. Which character is referred to as the subjugated Amazon Queen?
4. What distracts Laura as she gets out of her car at Mrs. Latch's house?
5. What is Richard's most precious memory of Clarissa?
6. What fears does Virginia have at this point in the novel?
7. Why has Virginia's attitude changed?
8. Why does Walter want to buy his young partner a present?
9. Why does Laura delay joining her husband in bed as his birthday draws to an end?
10. What are some of the ways in which Laura justifies to herself her trip to the hotel just in order to read?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Cunningham's style in The Hours. Was it essential for him to adopt a style similar to Virginia Woolf's in order to compose this novel?
Essay Topic 2
'The ways in which people approach their everyday activities tells us a great deal about them.' Closely explore the way this happens in Michael Cunningham's The Hours.
Essay Topic 3
Write a detailed critical essay on Michael Cunningham's The Hours. This should be a substantial essay that examines concepts, style, imagery, characterization and imaginative vision. Evaluate the novel. Do you think it deserved its Pulitzer Prize? You will need to write 800-1,000 words.
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)