|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What information does Nelly give Virginia?
2. How many words has Virginia written in this session?
3. What does writing, when inspired, give to Virginia?
4. What worrying symptoms does she think about?
5. In what season of the year does this part of the story take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. For what reasons has Virginia Woolf decided to end her life?
2. What is Richie's attitude toward his mother?
3. What is Virginia's attitude toward Vanessa's children?
4. What is significant about Oliver St. Ives?
5. What is significant about the utterance of the word 'hurl'?
6. Why is Richard's nickname for Clarissa ('Mrs Dalloway') an appropriate choice?
7. Why does Virginia wish to avoid Nelly on this particular morning?
8. Why did Virginia not engage more with Nelly over the matter of the day's menu?
9. What does Willie Bass think of Clarissa?
10. Of what significance is the bird that Laura briefly glimpses?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one major character from the novel The Hours and explore the way in which conflict is important to that character's development.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Cunningham's style in The Hours. Was it essential for him to adopt a style similar to Virginia Woolf's in order to compose this novel?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the ways in which multiple points of view enrich the narrative in Michael Cunningham's The Hours.
This section contains 945 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)