|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has a voice like a parakeet, according to Virginia?
2. How does Virginia feel around servants?
3. What does the word 'ephemera' mean?
4. When she was at school, Kitty was part of _________________________________.
5. Where is Clarissa when Willie Bass sees her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Richard's nickname for Clarissa ('Mrs Dalloway') an appropriate choice?
2. How does Laura plan to compensate for her neglect of Dan and Richie at breakfast?
3. Why is Clarissa hurt about Sally going out to lunch with Oliver St. Ives?
4. What does Virginia Woolf value about youth?
5. What is Virginia's attitude toward Vanessa's children?
6. What is significant about the utterance of the word 'hurl'?
7. What fascinates Laura about Virginia Woolf's death?
8. How does Laura attempt to achieve perfection?
9. What is notable about Richard's good fortune?
10. What impression of Leonard Woolf is given in this chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
'In the debate about life versus suicide that tracks across the pages of Cunningham's The Hours, there is no winner.' Do you agree?
Essay Topic 2
Much of the novel, The Hours, deals with characters' views of themselves and their fears concerning failure. Are these people actually successful, and in which ways or spheres of endeavor?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one major character from the novel The Hours and explore the way in which conflict is important to that character's development.
This section contains 1,020 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)