|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What battle has been won?
(b) Virginia's tussle with Nelly.
(c) Virginia's campaign to move to London.
(d) Leonard's campaign to move to London.
2. Which character does Julia describe as strange?
3. How does this chapter begin?
(a) With the ordinary routines and rituals of going to bed.
(b) With Richie having a nightmare.
(c) With a cynical comment on married life.
(d) With Laura feeling ashamed.
4. To Clarissa, what does Mary resemble?
(a) A stray dog.
(b) An Amazon.
(c) A feral child.
(d) A glamor-puss.
5. What is the toothbrush-holder made of?
(a) Stainless steel.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is important about the imagery of the squirrel's tail?
2. What preoccupies Virginia?
3. What is Louis' sad observation?
4. What does Laura feel herself to be?
5. Who wears gold-rimmed glasses?
Short Essay Questions
1. What gives Laura the feeling that she has actually succeeded in achieving a kind of perfection?
2. What are some of the ways in which Laura justifies to herself her trip to the hotel just in order to read?
3. Over what matters concerning Julia does Clarissa worry?
4. What are Laura's rather bitter hopes about heaven?
5. What is ironic about Richard's apartment being open to the light?
6. Why does Laura delay joining her husband in bed as his birthday draws to an end?
7. What is Sally's reaction to Walter's present-buying?
8. What is unusual about Louis' visit?
9. What do the two women exchange as Laura prepares to return home?
10. What does Virginia see as a kind of devil?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)