|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What causes Laura's unexpressed desperation?
(a) She feels trapped forever in an ordinary life.
(b) He belief that she will never live like Mrs. Dalloway.
(c) Her realization that Richie will grow up to be gay.
(d) Her sorrows are ordinary and she knows it.
2. How does this chapter begin?
(a) With the ordinary routines and rituals of going to bed.
(b) With Laura feeling ashamed.
(c) With a cynical comment on married life.
(d) With Richie having a nightmare.
3. Where will Laura put her robe?
(a) Over a chair.
(b) In the wardrobe.
(c) On the end of the bed.
(d) On a hook behind the door.
4. What do Virginia and Vanessa do behind Nelly's back?
(a) Eat sugared ginger.
(b) Eat digestive biscuits.
5. What does the unusual light in Richard's apartment reveal?
(a) The way the illness has ravaged his face and body.
(b) That he really needs to fire his cleaning lady.
(c) The flaws and smallness of his life's detritus.
(d) His astonishing taste in art.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Richard call death?
2. With which particular person does Laura contrast her own life?
3. What does Clarissa imagine her roses appear to be, according to Mary's view of the world?
4. Where does Clarissa find Richard?
5. What battle has been won?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the ways in which Laura justifies to herself her trip to the hotel just in order to read?
2. Why has Virginia's attitude changed?
3. Which character is referred to as the subjugated Amazon Queen?
4. What is Sally's reaction to Walter's present-buying?
5. What fears does Virginia have at this point in the novel?
6. What is unusual about Louis' visit?
7. What is Richard's most precious memory of Clarissa?
8. In what way is Laura's ambivalence towards her husband evident in Chapter 19 of The Hours?
9. What is ironic about Richard's apartment being open to the light?
10. Over what matters concerning Julia does Clarissa worry?
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)