|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What makes Virginia shudder?
(a) Boiled beef.
(b) The song of the dying thrush.
(d) The strong east wind.
2. What does Richie sense he and his father might have in common?
(a) Restlessness and a feeling of dislocation.
(b) The need to be strong and withstand Laura's pressures.
(c) A love of the arts.
(d) The need for emotional stability in their lives, as embodied by Laura.
3. What does Clarissa imagine her roses appear to be, according to Mary's view of the world?
(a) Symbolic of transience.
(b) Symbolic of oppression.
(c) Things of beauty and substance.
(d) Unnecessary and expensive.
4. What makes Richie frown in concentration?
(a) Trying not to spill crumbs as he eats the birthday cake.
(b) The job of removing the candles from the cake.
(c) Making a wish as the birthday candles burn.
(d) Trying to make out the letters on the cake.
5. Why can't Laura take the sleeping pills?
(a) She is pregnant.
(b) They are too strong.
(c) She feels guilty.
(d) They are past use-by date.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Laura intend to do in the hotel room?
2. With what profession is Nelly's calm compared?
3. What do both Clarissa and Louis notice about each other?
4. What is little Richie's response to his mother's return?
5. In what way does Oliver intend this film to be different?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Laura's rather bitter hopes about heaven?
2. Why does Laura delay joining her husband in bed as his birthday draws to an end?
3. What does Virginia see as a kind of devil?
4. Why is suicide not an option for Laura?
5. What gives Laura the feeling that she has actually succeeded in achieving a kind of perfection?
6. What are some of the ways in which Laura justifies to herself her trip to the hotel just in order to read?
7. What is unusual about Louis' visit?
8. In what ways are Clarissa and Mary different?
9. Over what matters concerning Julia does Clarissa worry?
10. What writing decision of Virginia's is prompted by her success in her campaign to move back to London?
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)