|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the word 'ephemera' mean?
(a) Something scary.
(b) Something short-lived.
(c) Something false.
(d) Something ghostly.
2. How many words has Virginia written in this session?
(a) Two hundred and ninety.
(b) A thousand.
(c) Two hundred.
(d) Two hundred and fifty.
3. Where is Leonard when Virginia goes to talk to him?
(a) In the garden.
(b) In his study.
(c) In the kitchen.
(d) In the printing room.
4. What breed of dog is mentioned in this chapter?
(c) Old English sheepdog.
(d) Chow Chow.
5. What information does Nelly give Virginia?
(a) That she is making a lamb pie for lunch.
(b) That she is making shepherd's pie for lunch.
(c) That she will resign.
(d) That she needs to go up to London.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sally is her lover, but who is Clarissa's truest friend?
2. How does Virginia describe Ralph?
3. What language did Virginia hear sparrows using?
4. Why is she 'allowed' to be self-indulgent at the moment?
5. How does Virginia feel around servants?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is notable about Richard's good fortune?
2. Why does Virginia wish to avoid Nelly on this particular morning?
3. What is significant about Vanessa's visit to Hogarth House?
4. When Dan returned from the war, why was he given special acclaim?
5. How does Laura plan to compensate for her neglect of Dan and Richie at breakfast?
6. Explain what is meant by the comment that Laura Brown is 'trying to keep herself'.
7. What is significant about Oliver St. Ives?
8. Comment on the style of the Prologue to The Hours by Michael Cunningham.
9. What is Virginia's attitude toward Vanessa's children?
10. How does Laura attempt to achieve perfection?
This section contains 1,057 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)