|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Leonard intend to do when he goes upstairs?
(a) To listen to the news on the radio.
(b) To have an afternoon nap.
(c) To sit and wait for Virginia.
(d) To read letters.
2. In what way does Laura think she is similar to Virginia Woolf?
(a) She has a husband who doesn't quite understand her.
(b) She has a big nose, and so does Virginia.
(c) She thinks she has a touch of the same brilliance.
(d) She thinks both of them could arrange flowers beautifully.
3. What is the meaning of the word 'obfuscation'?
(a) Darkly obscure.
4. What is it that Clarissa suddenly doesn't have any more?
(a) Her flowers.
(b) Her grey alpaca jacket.
(c) Her will to live.
(d) Her desire to visit Richard.
5. What does Laura think might be a little foolish?
(a) Scrimping to buy the cheapest flour.
(b) Comparing her cake to what she has seen in magazines.
(c) Spending so much of the day on making a cake.
(d) Comparing her cake with a great work or art or architecture.
Short Answer Questions
1. What can Virginia feel inside herself?
2. What worries Leonard about Virginia's behavior?
3. Where is Clarissa when Willie Bass sees her?
4. What color is Laura's gown?
5. Where does Virginia's body finally come to rest?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Richie's attitude toward his mother?
2. Why is Richard's nickname for Clarissa ('Mrs Dalloway') an appropriate choice?
3. Why did Virginia not engage more with Nelly over the matter of the day's menu?
4. Comment on an aspect of the Prologue's final paragraph.
5. What does Virginia Woolf value about youth?
6. What is significant about Oliver St. Ives?
7. Why is Laura fearful of Richie making an error as he helps her make the cake?
8. What impression of Leonard Woolf is given in this chapter?
9. What important writing quality does Virginia exhibit?
10. What is Virginia's attitude toward Vanessa's children?
This section contains 1,151 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)