|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Virginia describe Ralph?
(a) As handsome and callow.
(b) As handsome but amoral.
(c) As daring.
(d) As a handsome ditherer.
2. What is interesting about Richard's lungs?
(a) They are the only organs to have been touched by the virus.
(b) The virus has not harmed them.
(c) Their capacity is small.
(d) They are unusually powerful.
3. What is Virginia's reaction as Vanessa takes her hand?
(a) She feels she must put up with it for the children's sake.
(b) She feels comfortable.
(c) She feels both irritated and satisfied.
(d) She feels happy at this expression of caring.
4. How does Virginia see herself?
(a) As merely a gifted eccentric.
(b) As a closet lesbian.
(c) As a privileged wife.
(d) As a great writer.
5. How early are Vanessa and the children for their expected visit?
(a) Half an hour.
(b) Four hours.
(c) About an hour and a half.
(d) Two and a half hours.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Louis?
2. What does the word 'ubiquitous' tell us about the Jack Russell terriers.
3. Which character does Virginia wish to avoid?
4. What does 'the new world--the rescued world' refer to?
5. Who has a voice like a parakeet, according to Virginia?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Virginia Woolf value about youth?
2. What is significant about Vanessa's visit to Hogarth House?
3. What sets a favorable writing mindset for Virginia Woolf in this chapter?
4. Of what significance is the bird that Laura briefly glimpses?
5. Why is Clarissa hurt about Sally going out to lunch with Oliver St. Ives?
6. Why is Richard's nickname for Clarissa ('Mrs Dalloway') an appropriate choice?
7. Explain what is meant by the comment that Laura Brown is 'trying to keep herself'.
8. How does Laura attempt to achieve perfection?
9. What important writing quality does Virginia exhibit?
10. What is Richie's attitude toward his mother?
This section contains 1,103 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)